Cover Image: 100 Days of Sunlight

100 Days of Sunlight

(I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review)

Abbie's profile starts with, "Abbie Emmons has been writing stories ever since she could hold a pencil,' and I first want to say how this book SHOWS that incredibly well. It is hard to believe this her debut. Like, mind boggling. A debut novel... this good?

100 Days of Sunlight is a story that will tug your heartstrings, make you squeal and go aww and then smile and go fjkgfkrkjerkjfkjt, because it's so damn ADORABLE.

I tend to read stories with older characters. Tessa and Weston are 16ish and innocent and yet their chemistry is written so well. The dialogue is natural and flows so seamlessly. The chapters lead into each other SO nicely. The use of the senses are portrayed beautifully, and the theme of flowers and sunlight is so epic that I seriously wanted to put flowers in my hair and go for a walk on a beach and just... dream of Westess (such a cute ship name, btw)

With alternating perspectives, there is normally always one that I prefer. In some books, I tend to have to drag myself through one person's POV just because the voice isn't right or it seems forced, but Abbie writes Tessa and Weston's perspective so darn good. We see Weston with his brothers, we see him showing off to his friends like any 16 year old guy, and it's just realistic. I loved both sides.

It ends in a way that has you sit back, exhale and go... what? is that it? NO. I want more.

I want more Westess. I don't know if a sequel is in the mix, but I would LOVE one. I would love to see Tessa and Weston build their relationship and experience more... things ;)

Overall, I am just very impressed. I knew Abbie's writing would be good because I watch her channel and her advice is five stars, but damn, she gooooood.
Tessa is a sixteen year old home schooled poetry blogger who loses her eyesight after a car crash. The doctors assure her it is likely to be temporary but it doesn't offer her much comfort. Tessa's grandparents place an advert for another teen to type up Tessa's blog posts for her and Weston feels like the right guy for the job. Weston has a handicap of his own but as Tessa doesn't have her eyesight right now- she won't know. This is a fairly sweet YA novel that I read really quickly. It's engaging and holds your interest throughout. I found it fairly predictable but a decent read!
The first thing I need to say about this book is this: I devoured it. I flew through the pages with only a small voice in the back of my head telling me to slow down, telling me that I wanted to make it last, that I could only read it for the first time once.

In my head, it painted a picture of sunshine. In my heart, it filled me with the glow of a love that was pure enough to warm me from the inside out.

Emmons crafts beautiful characters, whose lives you can't help but dive headfirst in to, whose goals and ambitions become your own as quickly as their trials and conflict. She possesses an understanding of the hope that comes with a teenage love and the heartbreak which so often holds its hand. Bringing you back to a time when you first felt that fleeting rush of butterflies and adrenaline and transporting you into another world.

Her book makes the ordinary extraordinary, within her writing she uncovers the joy of everyday life and gives you a feeling of optimism that will last long after you've turned the final page.

If you're looking for a new YA favourite, this will be it, and I can't wait to see what Emmons brings us next!

Rock on, Abbie. x
100 Days of Sunlight is a Young Adult Contemporary from Debut author Abbie Emmons — who has a lovely blog & YouTube channel that I’ve been following for several months now. She has a contagious positivity that I was happy to find woven throughout her sunshine-y novel.

100 Days of Sunlight follows 16-year-old poetry blogger Tessa, who loses her sight temporarily after a horrendous car accident. She is left hopeless and depressed, until her well-meaning grandparents seek out a typist so she can continue writing poetry. This typist is the charming and optimistic Weston, a boy her age who doesn’t have any legs. But Tessa doesn’t know that — she can’t see him. And Weston hasn’t had someone treat him like a normal person since his own accident. When Tessa greets him with resentment and a kind of ‘you have no idea what I’m going through’ attitude, he is thrilled.

Together, through the power of poetry and waffles, they learn to find light in the darkness.

The book is a dual point-of-view between Tessa and Weston, and I immediately was drawn more to Weston’s perspective. His chapters often delve into flashback, telling the story of how he lost his legs. It gets intense at times, and the storyline hooked me so much that I was always waiting to get back into the past. Weston’s charisma leaps off the page; I particularly appreciated his use of finger guns. His relationship with his younger brothers is precious, and his friendship with schoolmate Rudy is well-developed.

Tessa, on the other hand, comes off a little flat. She has a bullet-point list of traits; reclusive, homeschooled, church-goer, and poetry blogger; but she doesn’t seem to have a personality. I couldn’t wrap my head around how she lives her daily life, and there is definitely room for expansion there. As a former homeschooler I was wanting to get a glimpse into her community or her schooling, but as this book takes place over summer, there isn’t much opportunity for it. Still, I’m disappointed. Her only friends are on the internet, but they are under-developed as we never see anything beyond some group chats.

The setting is vague but the atmosphere is soft and warm, making this a perfect summery read — or in my case, a happiness-educing winter warmer. The book is primarily a romance, but I appreciated the way the story focused on the characters overcoming their fears, coming out of their comfort zones, and embracing everything they are.

As the novel passed the halfway point I found myself getting wrapped up in the utter cuteness of the blossoming relationship between the leads. They have good chemistry, and the plot has just the right amount of angst. The build up to the dramatic ending was delightful. I turned the last page with a contented sigh.

My final rating for 100 Days of Sunlight is a stack of waffles with fluffy whipped cream. Delicious, even without the blueberries.

Thanks to Netgalley and the author for providing me with an advance reader’s copy in exchange for an honest review! The book will be released on August 7th 2019, and the e-book is available for preorder now. If it sounds like your jam, grab yourself a copy!
This is an adorable YA love story with a twist on your average American teenagers.  I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoyed Fault in the Stars.
First off, I would like to say that I did not know Abbie Emmons is a YouTuber prior to reading this book, in fact, I did not find out until like halfway through the book because I read it somewhere in some reviews. Despite this fact, it does not affect my opinion on this review.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. The characters are likable (especially Weston), showcasing considerable growth in character, both Tessa and Weston. When we are first introduced to Tessa we find that she is in a very dark place in her life due to reasonable circumstances and Weston is just an overly optimistic guy. Over time we come to find out how Weston is the way he is and why he is so persistent in helping Tessa despite not telling her about being disabled himself (amputee). We learn how Weston is cherishing the fact that he is treated as a normal person with Tessa because she finds no reason to pity him being that she cannot see why and he is not saying anything about his disability. Also, Weston understands the situation that she is in and wants to pick her back up, which I found well constructed because he begins to help Tessa realize that sight is not the only sense that she has. I found it to be really sweet that he first started with scent by bringing her flowers and having her remember the scents.

Through the time Tessa spends with Weston we see that she has shifted from being hostile to Weston to being very comfortable with him and eventually falling in love with him. This journey I appreciate, especially the romance aspect because it was not insta-love, which I despise and is an issue that is quite common in Teen/YA books.

Overall, the story was well paced and sheds light to temporary and permanent physical disabilities, which are topics I have not encountered very often in books. The romance is well written and in general, the whole story was. The way the ending was handled was beautiful as well. I definitely recommend this to anyone interested in YA/Contemporary genres.
Oh My Goodness! If you liked Fault in Our Stars then you will LOVE this book. I could not read this book fast enough. 100 Days of Sunlight deals with overcoming hardships and finding the courage to accept what life throws at you with more than just survival. There are some strong family themes in the book as well as sensory detail that comes alive on the page since Tessa is blind. Tessa and Weston are teenagers facing seemingly catastrophic change. If I didn't have to sleep I would have read 100 Days of Sunlight in one sitting. It is only after I turned the last page that the beautiful cover art makes more sense. The end was more than satisfying and as the story is woven there are moments of laughter and joy and moments of heart-wrenching emotion. The sweet romance that develops hangs in the balance as Weston keeps his secret from Tessa. Abbie Emmons kept me engaged and turning pages as fast as my eyes could read and then swipe to the pages on my kindle. I'm kinda sad that it's over, that I've already read it after looking forward to it for weeks. Remedy: I'll be getting a print copy for my keeper shelf when it is available. I'll also be watching to see what Ms. Emmons is going to publish next. Rock on Abbie!

Note to parents of very young teens: There are a couple of mild cuss words, but nothing they'll not have heard at school or on TV.

I received a copy of this book through NetGalley from the publisher, my honest opinion is my own.
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars.

<i>ARC is provided through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Surviving with a disadvantage is harder than surviving with an advantage, and that makes the disadvantage stronger. </i>

Tessa and her grandmother survived a car crash that left Tessa temporarily blind. She'll have to live a minimum of 100 days in darkness before her eyesight might return.
She's broken and bathes in her misery, in the unfairness in it all. For Tessa, there's no way she'll be able to live without her sight, and she shuts down completely.
Her grandfather places an ad in the newspaper, looking for a writing assistant that can help Tessa write her poetry and post to her blog. They believe that a little bit of normalcy might help her feel better.
Weston, a boy with amputated legs, see the ad and decides he's the one to help. He can relate to what she's going through because he's been there himself. His only condition to her grandparents is that they don't tell her about his disability.
Where everyone else treats Weston as a disabled person, Tessa does not. She screams and yells at him, and he loves every minute of it. Helping Tessa isn't just about Tessa - it's about him feeling like a regular person again.
Together, and against the odds, they shape a friendship, and Tessa begins to feel normal again. Weston, who doesn't want Tessa to see him when her sight returns, has a difficult choice to make. Should he overcome his fear of letting her see him, or should he disappear from her life forever?

Me wanting to read a contemporary YA-story doesn't happen every day, but once I read the blurb for 100 Days of Sunlight, I craved to read it. I placed my request on Netgalley, and I was convinced I'd be declined because my reviews are mostly of fantasy books.
Imagine my surprise when I was accepted! I squealed out loud, something I never do. Well done, Abbie Emmons.
With that said, 100 Days of Sunlight are the first ARC book I'll buy a physical copy of when it's released. It's going onto my shelf, simple as that.

100 Days of Sunlight is about physical disabilities and mental illness, and these subjects are imperative to me in books. I loathe stories where illnesses, both mental and physical, is presented inadequately.
Abbie Emmons, in my opinion, gets everything correct. I was exceptionally impressed with how she played out the story. Her writing is magical from beginning to end. The story contained so many perfect quotes I had trouble choosing one for my review.

Abbie's characters are believable and relatable. They have their own quirks and their own point of view. Both have their own way of handling a crisis. We see how two different people react to having something taken away from them. Tessa loathes her circumstances and refuses to improve her quality of life. Weston denied negativity to take hold of his life, and he sees the positive in everything. He teaches the reader an important lesson - we are not our illnesses.
This book had me literally crying from beginning to end. I felt for the characters, I could relate to their feelings, and how they reacted broke my heart several times.
Her characters grow as they learn to know each other, and I can’t put into words how perfect it all is. They feel like real people.

I was a bit worried about reading from Tessa's POV, considering she's blind, but It was so amazingly executed I was astonished. When reading Tessa's chapters, I felt her despair and I constantly imagined myself being blind. How would I react if I was in her shoes? Would I react differently? I probably wouldn't. Writing from a blind person’s perspective has been messed up before, but Abbie nailed it.

Upon finishing it and reading the author's acknowledgments page, I learned she's an indie-author with a Youtube channel. Hands down, I never would have guessed. The book is so well written in all the ways that matter, and I told my boyfriend over and over how talented she is. I love everything about it. To me, it seems as she’s got tons of experience with writing books.

As I mentioned, I'm going to buy it when it's published. It's going to be displayed on my shelf along with my other favorite books.

I recommend it wholeheartedly. Do yourself a favor and read it!
When Tessa temporarily loses her eyesight after a car accident, she feels depressed and angry until she meets Weston. Weston is cute, optimistic, always smiling and, unknown to Tessa, missing both legs. Over the course of 100 days, Weston teaches Tessa to “look” for the good in her life. I breezed through this warm and fuzzy story! It had me laughing out loud, shedding a few tears and rooting for Tessa and Weston. A great uplifting read!
hello, my name is hannah and I don't like contemporary romance novels.

Rn you're probably thinking WHAT THE HECK HANNAH WHY DID YOU READ THIS? WHY DID YOU GIVE IT 4 STARS?

Let me explain. Over the past 4 or so years, I've been on a mission to find THE BEST contemp romance novels. And by the best I mean ones that have deep themes, minimal crude jokes (because that's lazy writing), and people being attracted because of things other than physical attributes like 'his bright blue eyes' ew.

Every year I will pick up 3-4 of the latest and greatest contemp romance to see if it will satisfy my criteria. AND THEY DON'T. Like To All The Boys I Loved Before? I want to find the time stone so I can get those 2 hours of my life back.

Anyways. In short I am picky. (I've found more GOOD contemporary romance novels in the indie world so if you need some DON'T GO TO B&N. Support indie authors who actually write good stuff!)

I signed up for an arc because Abbie writes one of the best blogs. She has the best writer youtube channel. And she has this AMAZING aesthetic/vibe that I knew would transfer into her written works.

So now for my thoughts:

-I loved that the characters were 16 and not 18. I feel like most YA romance novels have these older teens who make more stupid decisions than a blind turtle. So having these adorable 16 year old's was REFRESHING.

-West was the best. (lol rhymes) He was caring and loved his bros (so cute) and fought for what he wanted.

-The parts of the book being represented as senses?! MY FAVORITE

-Waffles that's ALL I have to say.

-the attraction wasn't based on physical attributes!

-it had deep themes about family and friendships and acceptance.

-she did a wonderful job with the balance of having some language and mild jokes without crossing lines. Yes, some of you prefer no language and I completely understand. If we all had the same standards we'd be robots. But back to what I was saying. She added it appropriately so it added to the vibes the characters gave. It wasn't thrown around unnecessarily like confetti nobody wanted.

Fyi if you watch Marvel films, then you are 100% fine with reading this. Don't be scared! Reading 5 curse words is no worse than watching Endgame which had lots of jokes about caps butt so.

In conclusion: GO READ IT. BUY IT. GIVE IT TO YOUR FRIENDS AND DEMAND THAT YOUR LIBRARY BUY IT. It has a hannah stamp of approval. Which isn't much, but I'm picky so it counts.
There are some days I really just need a light, adorable book to read and 100 Days of Sunlight is definitely one of those reads. Abbie Emmons’s writing is delicate and lovely, a style that is easy to read and conveys an important message about appreciating life with a subtle, moving touch. Plus, the cover is so beautiful.

100 Days of Sunlight opens with Tessa Dickinson, who is temporarily blind after a car crash and has been told her sight will come back within 14 weeks. She is understandably struggling with living in darkness, especially as someone who spends a lot of her time writing poetry, and is afraid her sight won’t ever come back. When her grandparents decide to help by finding her a transcriber, Tessa is horrified. Unexpectedly, a boy she doesn’t know Weston Ludovica turns up at her house offering help. Tessa can’t see that he has a disability and he wants to keep it that way, because even though Tessa yells at him a lot, she makes him feel like a normal person. Weston just might be the one person that can help Tessa find light in the darkness again, but he might vanish from her life before she ever gets her sight back.

I wasn’t as gripped as I hoped I would be in the opening chapters of this book. It wasn’t really until we started learning more about Weston that I found myself invested in the characters and the plot. I felt as though there was something lacking in Tessa’s character. I would have liked a little more backstory on who she was before the accident, besides her blogging/poetry writing (which was an element of her character I really liked).  Though I could completely understand Tessa’s negative outlooks at the beginning of the novel as she struggled with PTSD and being blind, I felt as though I got to know her most through Weston’s perspective. The more time Weston spent with Tessa, the more I felt I knew and liked her. There’s nothing particularly wrong with that, as the way her character was written and her lack of interaction with anyone but Weston and her grandparents depicted how isolated she felt. It just meant I didn’t develop a deeper connection with Tessa until halfway through the novel.

For the most part, Weston was the stronger character. The way Weston’s past was written had more depth and gave me a deeper understanding of his character even before he started spending more time with Tessa. I felt more for Weston’s personal struggles than Tessa’s, and perhaps that was the point. I loved knowing Weston’s brothers and his best friend Rudy, who all played integral roles in his story. I thought Weston’s character development was more established and understood what kind of person he was. The only things I was unsure about with Weston’s character were his motivations in seeking out Tessa and the medical history behind his disability. Both just felt to me like they needed a little more detail to back them up. But, because I  enjoyed the book so much, those missing details don’t really bother me at all.

What is most definitely excellent about this book is the way it explores how important it is to value the life you have, to find happiness even in the smallest of things like the sound of a ukulele or the smell of lillies. Abbie Emmons’s writing was beautiful to read, and I really liked how her insights about looking on the bright side of life seamlessly flowed with the story and the character’s personal struggles. And of course, the relationship that develops between Tessa and Weston is absolutely adorable, their little moments made me smile so big.

While I wanted a little more substance from Tessa’s character and thought some details in the plot could have been hashed out a bit more, I really loved reading this book. It’s poetic and well-written, delving into the darkness in life and reminding us of all the sunlight we can find when we focus in all our senses and remember the things that are really important, the things that give us happiness. This book reminded me how lucky I am to be where I am in my life and that’s a really nice feeling to get from a book.
What a delightful surprise this book was and I am so grateful that I was able to read an arc from netgalley in exchange for my honest opinion.  In the past two days I have read this beautiful YA novel by Abbie Emmons and begun to follow her website and view some of her posted videos.  As expected, she is full of joy for writing and I feel that it shows within her first novel.  100 Days of Sunlight is a book that works for both middle grade and high school students. As the mom of a middle grade reader, I will definitely purchase a copy of this (when it is available in book form) for my 12 year old to read.  As a high school English teacher, I also feel that this will be a great addition to our school library due to the content and the powerful message of hope and resilience.  Emmons debut is the story of two teens, Tessa Dickenson and Weston Ludovico, one who is temporarily blind and one who has lost his legs below the knees and has prosthetic legs.  Told in a alternating points of view, time and in sections based on the human senses, this is a beautiful story with the theme of hope and perseverance in the face of challenges. It also deals with the idea of fitting in and feeling whole, with a side of romance, the love of family and friends and a hint of faith.  Emmons incorporates poetry within the story and it complements her smooth writing style.  Her style isn't super complex, which I think helps the  reader to quickly find themselves interested in these two teenagers and their situations.  I haven't read many (any?) books about teenagers who are facing the challenge of learning how to navigate the world with prosthetic legs and through the character of Weston, Emmons does a really nice job of giving the reader an idea of what that may be like.  I really love the way she created Weston as a male character with a strong voice.  The balance between these two characters is what makes this such a magical read that left me feeling a lot of different feels.  I look forward to the book version being released so that I can add this to my book shelf!
Abbie Emmons’ debut novel, 100 Days of Sunlight, is a refreshing and charming read. Emmons’ writing is a breeze to read, allowing for great binge-reading before realizing that the day has already come and gone. I finished it much faster than I thought I would, as I had been stuck in a reading slump for months now, and this sweet story left me feeling bubbily and happy inside.

The novel follows the perspectives of our two main characters: Tessa Dickinson and Weston Ludovico, who both have serious physical impairments: Tessa loses her sight temporarily due to a car accident, and Weston has two prosthetic legs. After losing her sight, Tessa lost all motivation to write, which led to losing motivation to find the good and happy things in life. When Weston struts in, his driven and incredibly optimistic personality guides (and sometimes forces) her to “see” the world in a different, and much more hopeful light. This delightful teen romance is sure to make your heart flutter as it did mine.

I could go on and on about Emmons’ writing style: it’s simple, but whimsical; smooth, but purposefully styled. It’s easy to read through and sucks you into the story, but it takes you on a roller coaster. I loved the poetic elements sprinkled in and the stylized type that conveyed emotion artfully. The way everything was written made me feel like I was reading the characters’ thoughts, not just a narration of what the character was going through.

Writing in the perspective of a blind character is difficult, but Emmons had done an admirable job. Both of the main characters were easy to fall in love with, and I am so glad I was able to go along their journey with them. Tessa is quiet but fierce, and a genuine, strong character. Weston is extremely driven and a fantastic contrast against Tessa. I thought Weston to be a bit cliche at times, but fell in love with him nonetheless. I loved watching these two opposite characters develop and work together. With them interacting and constantly being compared to one another, I could truly see how they differ and how they are as individual characters. The use of Weston’s backstory and connecting it with Tessa’s present was a valuable addition to the telling of the story. The humor was thoroughly enjoyable and sincere. I laughed out loud quite a few times! Not to mention it had a quite inspirational message.

However, in the beginning of the story, I felt it was rushed and introducing the world and situation as quickly as possible in order for the plot to move forward. The info-dump could have possibly been avoided, but with all the medical information needed to understand Tessa’s situation, it probably would have been difficult to dodge without having a long and uneventful beginning. Weston, especially, seemed to take it upon himself to move the plot along so we readers could get to the good stuff as soon as possible. As the story began to take shape, though, the pacing became more consistent and there was no rush to get through one plot point to the next.

Overall, the story is flat-out adorable. Well thought-out and developed characters, the pacing is great, and it contains that freeing feeling of summer break. If you are looking for a cute and light young adult romance, I wholeheartedly recommend. It is so pure, lovely, and the epitome of sunlight. I would love to see a copy of this book on my bookshelf come August!
Well, how do I begin? First of all, since I will be lazily posting this exact same review on Amazon later on, the inevitable disclaimer:
 I got a free, digital version to read before the date of publishing. Anyway, I never ever had an urge so bad as of this day to buy a book and put it into my book shelf.
I am not a good reader. Meaning, I didn't read too much books during my lifetime and this is the first book ever, that I could not put out of my hands for too long. So much so, that I read it within 24 hours straight. Even while walking blindly through town, I could'nt help myself.
This book is like a box of delicious chocolates. Every chapter, every page is like a bite of chocolate. You are ecstatic, when you get one with soft and creamy filling and almost disappointed, when you just get pure chocolate, but you are still delighted by the clear and honest taste of quality chocolate, nontheless.
I've had some really hard times during the last months and I can't remember the last day I laughed so much and fanboyed so much about something like this book.
To be clear, I am a writer myself, and when I pick a new book, I am looking closely at the way it is written. I, for example, use mostly uncommon words, packed into long sentences and describe as much as I can, for the reader to get my vision. But Abbie is taking a whole different approach. She has a very simple and honest way of writing. She leaves a lot to the imagination of the person reading the book, which is giving it a special feeling.
I always take something for me from every book. From this book, for once, I will take the lesson, that less can be more. And also, that there is a truth inside this novel, that I am not going to take away from anyone, that did not read it yet.
It makes me curious at what the author experienced during her life, that made her the way she is and made her paint this specific picture of her inside and her thoughts, hidden in clear sight, within the two main characters.
Abbie managed to switch between both perspectives so perfectly, that I, as the reader, never had the feeling, that I was missing something, or thinking, that I would prefer to see the other side, over this. Also, the short chapters where perfectly picked and always motivating to read just this one little part.

Also interesting:
She decided to begin with the story after the harsh strike of destiny one of the protagonists. I was thinking at how different of an approach to all the characters she could have taken, by beginning just at that faithful day. I am not thinking it would be better, just... different.
And by doing this, I believe she is giving as minor of a weight as possible to the accident and in retrospect it really shouldn't be too important of a topic, even though it has a big role for the main character.
Maybe beginning before the accident and continuing right with the hard aftermath would have been a touch too depressive, I don't know. I am just glad good decisions were made.

I can hardly wait to see more coming from this author, but I cannot wait at all for this book to find its way to my flat and into my bookshelf, where it definitely deserves a place with honor.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Nun, wie soll ich beginnen? Zuerst einmal, da ich diese Bewertung später faulerweise auch auf Amazon posten werde, hier der unausweichliche Disclaimer:
Ich habe eine kostenlose, digitale Version vor der Veröffentlichung bekommen um eine Review zu verfassen. Wie auch immer, ich hatte noch nie so ein großes Verlangen, wie heute, mir ein Buch zu kaufen und es in mein Bücherregal zu stellen.
Ich bin kein guter Leser, in dem Sinne, dass ich nicht allzu viele Bücher in meiner bisherigen Lebenszeit gelesen habe. Und dies ist das erste Buch überhaupt, das ich so sehr nicht aus der Hand nehmen konnte, dass ich es binnen 24 Stunden durchgelesen habe. Selbst als ich, völlig blind durch die Stadt gelaufen bin. Ich konnte einfach nicht widerstehen.
Dieses Buch ist wie eine Schachtel köstlicher Pralinen. Jedes Kapitel, jede Seite ist wie eine Praline. Man ist ekstatisch, wenn man ein Stück mit weicher, cremiger Füllung erwischt und fast enttäuscht, wenn es nur eine aus purer Schokolade ist. Doch man ist noch immer von dem klaren und ehrlichen Schokoladengeschmack begeistert.
Ich hatte eine sehr harte Zeit in den letzten Monaten und ich kann mich nicht an den letzten Tag erinnern an dem ich so häufig gelacht und gefanboyed habe, wie bei diesem Buch.
Zum Verständnis, Ich schreibe ebenfalls und wenn ich ein neues Buch aussuche lege ich viel Wert auf den Schreibstil, Ich, zum Beispiel, nutze zumeist eher wenig genutzte Begrifflichkeiten, verpackt in langen Schachtelsätzen, in denen ich so viel, wie nur irgend möglich beschreibe, damit der Leser meine Sichtweise erkennt.
Aber Abbie hat eine völlig andere Herangehenweise.
Sie hat eine sehr einfache und ehrliche Art zu schreiben. Sie überlässt vieles der Vorstellungskraft der Person, die dieses Buch liest, was ein besonderes Gefühl bereitet.
Ich nehme stets etwas für mich heraus, aus jedem Buch, das ich lese. Aus diesem Buch, zum Beispiel, nehme ich die Lehre mit, das weniger auch mal mehr sein kann. Und auch, dass in diesem Roman eine Wahrheit liegt, die ich dem unwissenden Leser noch nicht vorwegnehmen möchte.
Es macht mich neugierig, was die Autorin während ihres Lebens erlebt hat, das sie zu der gemacht hat, die sie heute ist und, dass sie so ein klares Bild von ihrem Inneren und ihren Gedanken zeichnen lässt, das so offensichtlich in den beiden Protagonisten des Romans verborgen liegt.
Abbie hat es geschafft so perfekt zwischen beiden Perspektiven zu wechseln, dass ich, als Leser, nie das Gefühl hatte, dass ich etwas verpassen würde, oder dachte, dass ich die andere Perspektive bevorzugt hätte. Außerdem sind die kurzen Kapitel perfekt gewählt und immer motivierend noch dieses eine Bisschen weiter zu lesen.

Auch interessant:
Sie entschied sich mit der Geschichte nach dem harten Schicksalsschlag der Protagonistin zu beginnen. Ich überlegte mir, was für eine völlig andere Herangehensweise an die Charaktere es hätte geben können, hätte sie mit diesem Schicksalstag begonnen. Ich denke nicht, dass es besser gewesen wäre, nur… anders.
Und indem sie dies tat, glaube ich, dass sie dem Unfall eine so kleine Rolle, wie nur irgend möglich gab. Rückblickend sollte es auch nicht allzu wichtig sein, wenngleich es für die Protagonistin eine große Rolle spielt.
Vielleicht würde der Anfang an diesem Tag, mit den darauffolgenden, harten Konsequenzen danach einen Hauch zu depressiv. Ich weiß es nicht. Ich bin nur froh, dass gute Entscheidungen getroffen wurden.

Ich kann es kaum abwarten mehr von dieser Autorin zu sehen, aber ich kann es überhaupt nicht abwarten, dass dieses Buch seinen Weg in meine Wohnung und in mein Bücherregal findet, wo es definitiv einen Ehrenplatz verdient hat.
This book is amazing! Everything about it! Seriously, I cannot recommend this enough. It was so sweet and full of perfect moments.

I was laughing a lot. In the middle of class. In the dentist office. Late at night. (Shh, don't tell)

I was living the life of the characters. Not literally, but it sure felt like it. I didn't want to go back into the Real World. The characters are sticking with me and calling me back into the story.

Weston offered a unique viewpoint in YA fiction that I don't often see. He had overcome his obstacles, through much work. He was a bright ray of sunlight in a dark world, intent on sharing his perspective with others.

Tessa. . .She was going through a lot and her whole personality just drew me in. Her reactions to everything that she experienced seemed very realistic.

I rarely actually root for two people to become a couple in YA fiction, but this book was different. They both taught each other and encouraged the other to become a better person.

This is one of the best books I have ever read. Thank you, Abbie Emmons, for giving me a book hangover. Also, I need more books.

Rating: 5 Stars

Content: 1 Star (63 uses of language)

*I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book which I received from the author. All views expressed are only my honest opinion.
100 Days of Sunlight by Abbie Emmons is a rare gem of a book, from the gorgeous cover, all the way through to the final page.  I was completely charmed by the story of Tessa and Weston, and loved bearing witness to their beautiful journey.

When sixteen year old Tessa Dickinson is involved in a car accident, she suffers a cerebral contusion which causes her to go blind, but doctors believe that the situation is temporary and predict that it will take up to fourteen weeks for her sight to be restored.  Tessa is a poetry blogger and is frustrated by her inability to continue with her writing.  When her grandparents place an ad in the local paper hoping to find an assistant for Tessa, the notice is intercepted by Weston Ludovico, who has a unique understanding of what Tessa is going though as he himself is a double amputee.  Convincing her grandparents to let him take the job, and on the condition that they do not tell Tessa about his prosthetic legs, Weston aims to bring Tessa to the realization that 'visual beauty is only one form of beauty.'  Life is, in fact, a feast for all of the senses.

This is an emotional, heart-rending read that will trigger all of the feels, and will have you falling in love with Tessa and Weston.  Beautifully written and stunningly profound, I devoured every insightful word of this story.  I highly recommend treating yourself to this lovely book.

Many thanks to NetGalley and Abbie Emmons for the opportunity to experience 100 Days of Sunlight.