Cover Image: 100 Days of Sunlight

100 Days of Sunlight

This story was beautiful from the beginning to the very end.

I thought it was a real page turner and I couldn't wait to see how it would all end.

The story was heartfelt and I could "see" and feel the characters with their struggles.

The author did a superb job of creating some fantastic characters that were believable and she really brought them to life for me.

No hesitation in giving this one 5 stars - I loved it and cannot recommend it highly enough
What if you couldn’t see? What if someone couldn’t see you? Does it change how you judge people, judge the world? 100 Days of Starlight is a teenage love story, but it is also a story about resilience and learning to get back up when knocked down by life.

A car crash leaves Tessa temporarily blind. Now Tessa refuses to write her poetry or leave the house, so her grandparents place an ad for a helper. Weston sees the ad at his father’s paper just before it’s pulled from publication and decides Tessa is someone he can help. As a double amputee, the idea of someone getting to know him without seeing him is very appealing. At first reluctant to work with Weston, Tessa pushes him away in every way she can, but he doesn’t give up - determined to show her that life is about more than what she can see.

The chapters, split evenly between Weston and Tessa, focus almost entirely on their interactions. We don’t learn a lot about their lives outside of what is happening between the two of them - Tessa, mostly because nothing else is happening. Fortunately, half of Weston’s chapters take us back three years ago to the time of his accident and subsequent duel amputation, filling in backstory and giving readers a better idea of his life and motivations.

The first person narration places readers directly alongside the main characters. It also gives readers direct access to their thinking and, sometimes false, ideas. Tessa’s thoughts about being blind and how depressed that makes her, how she thinks that makes her pathetic are not exactly inspired or uplifting. Nor does it reflect in any way the true strength and abilities of those with visual impairment. 100 Days of Sunlight is not a book that starts out by promoting an ‘I can do anything, this doesn’t change my life’ attitude. Just the opposite in fact. Tessa is sad, whiney, and yes, while I understand it’s hard, it takes her some time and lots of help from Weston to come around to a more positive way of thinking. This book has to start with a sad, whiney character because that’s what gives us the character growth.

Weston is sort of a boy wonder. Positive, a great brother, strong and determined. His chapters reveal his doggedness and desire to take the hard road. He did, at times, sound like a therapy room’s motivational poster, but there is no denying his great attitude.

100 Days of Sunlight, with themes of positive attitude, acceptance and resilience woven throughout, is a fun teenage romance.

The publishers provided an advanced readers copy of this book for reviewing purposes. All opinions are my own.
100 Days of Sunlight! A very cute and quick read. First, the book cover art and the color is what caught my eye. Which I’m sure is what the author was trying to do, and doing it herself... amazing job! The book description HOOKED me. I knew it was a book I had to read. The good that I liked about it is the characters stories, It makes the characters more mature for their age, especially Weston. I’ll have to admit that Weston wasn’t a favorite character of mine, but I had to see how he dealt everything at the end. The downside, in my personal opinion was that the whole story felt very very rushed. It makes sense because of...100 days. But I wish there was a little more going on. Really good story and amazing job to the authors first novel!
Let me start by saying that having your MC wake up from a dream (or nightmare, in this case) to start your novel is lazy writing. It's such a cliché, and not a good one. This particular nightmare about Tessa's car accident was accompanied by like 10 pages of exposition regarding said accident and the subsequent hospital stay and doctor visits. Why not just start with all of that instead of starting with backstory????? If you have to give almost a full chapter of backstory at the beginning of your story, you started in the wrong place.

Honestly, the entire premise is so shaky for me to begin with, because blind people get by just fine everyday, even running blogs and writing. So Tessa needing a proxy for that just seems... unrealistic?

Also, if you're going to have multiple POVs, they need to be distinct. Tessa and Weston sounded almost exactly the same, because they were written in the exact same style.

Tessa's attitude about her temporary lack of sight was just.... ugh. There are legitimate blind people out there who have to live every day for the rest of forever without sight so it just felt so bratty and unlikeable, but not in a good way. The attitude towards blindness in the bit that I read felt borderline ableist to me. Being upset because you've been made blind after a lifetime of seeing because of someone else's actions is completely understandable. But I feel like Tessa's entire attitude takes it too far.

And listen. Weston KNOWING that Tessa's grandparents had retracted their ad for someone to help her and that they weren't looking for a boy, anyway, but stealing their address and just showing up is creepy. It's uncool and something that a stalker would do. I don't like that and I don't like the message that it sends, particularly in a novel aimed toward a young adult audience.

Now for some nitpicks:
WHY IS THE OWNER OF A NEWSPAPER ALSO DEALING WITH THE ADS????? IS THERE NOT A DEPARTMENT FOR THAT? WE KNOW HE HAS OTHER EMPLOYEES, MAYBE EVEN A SECRETARY. WHY IS HE HANDLING THIS?

Maybe that didn't deserve all caps. But it made me so irrationally angry when I read it because that's not how it works.

Tessa has a doctor that tells her she's "realistically optimistic" about her prognosis. First of all, that's not a thing. "Realistically optimistic" is not a thing. Also, it's irresponsible and almost entirely inconceivable that a doctor would say that to a patient, because that gets hopes up.

There's no explained reason for why Weston is in his dad's office listening to his phone call in the scene where he overhears about Tessa, either.

After reading other reviews and finding out that there are a lot of subtle faith/religious themes, I'm glad I didn't finish this one.

Overall--
The writing was no bueno and the story was crazy unrealistic. Not for me.
When I heard that Abbie was publishing a book, I was beyond excited. I’ve followed her off and on through the years and read a short story of hers a long while ago. I knew it would be good.

And my expectations were not disappointed.

First, this COVER! Seriously one of the beautifullest works of art EVER. It’s gorgeous as is, but after reading the story, I love it even more! I adore how pieces of the novel come together in the cover. Seriously, SO. GOOD.

Secondly, the CONCEPT! I try not to read a ton of contemporary YA but the ones I’ve seen tend to have super cliché ideas. DUDE, THIS WAS THE FARTHEST FROM CLICHÉ. The plot was incredible! (I mean yes, okay – it was a bit predictable, but it was genius.) I love how she used all the senses and wound up with touch. Like, wow.

AND THEN THE CHARACTERS! I looooved how easily I could see the characters – one of my problems is when books haven’t enough description and I felt I could really see them – and everything was just so real! The dialogue made me laugh several times (Weston – the snark!) but I could totally emphasize with Tessa’s bitterness. I loved seeing her grow. I loved the backstory on how Weston came out of his handicap. And dudes, Weston is literally the epitome of RAD. That guy sort of stole my heart too.

And I loved seeing their relationship grow. SERIOUSLY THE CUTEST THING EVER. AND THE ENDING ALMOST MADE ME CRY. All in all, I loved this book!

Now since I come from a conservative Christian perspective, yes, there were some things I disliked. Such as the language (view spoiler) even though I did know I was going to be getting into it. I mean yes – Weston’s family and friends aren’t Christians and yes, that’s just real life there – but I didn’t need quite that much of it, if you know what I mean. The other thing is just that Tessa and Weston are 16 – too young for that kind of relationship, if you ask me – he’s not saved and she’s not really a strong Christian herself. Quite honestly, though, those aren’t flaws – they’re just my own reservations, coming from my beliefs and convictions.

I think my favorite thing about this book was all-in-all how very real it was. Seriously, nothing felt impossible or even implausible. I felt like it could very well be non-fiction, and everything was spot-on. You can tell Abbie has put her years of experience writing into this, along with some pieces of herself.

Well done. I can’t wait to read Abbie’s next work whenever it comes out!
Oh gosh, where to start!? I LOVED this book.

The characters were spot on. Don't even get me started on Weston! He was incredible - flawed, a bit messy, and so kind. Tessa was so thoughtful and sweet once she started catching on to his endless optimism.

Also the characters being 16 was much appreciated! Some YA ages characters up to 18 or so which is fine but it's nice to read something different. They were realistically 16 - another bonus!

I adored Tessa's poetry - lyrical and spot on in the parts they were included.

And can we talk about how this book was split in senses? So interesting! And how the story and characters fit with those senses was incredibly engaging.

I could probably gush about this book forever but I'll stop here, haha!
This was a sweet book filled with hope and the reminder that you can see a lot even when you can't see ... when you choose to.

Emmons pulls us into the little moments of life that could be enjoyed when using to all the senses, which most of us miss out on because we're so focused on those in front of us and how they see us or what they think of us. It's a way of looking out and drinking in every bit of beauty rather than expecting others to give us drinks, in a way.

Re the love story, yes, it's totally predictable and the guy is a bit too good to be true, but it doesn't get in the way of a teenage girl growing up and looking beyond herself to grow into the person she really is. Worth reading.
100 Days of Sunlight is a quick, easy read that left me smiling.  This contemporary YA novel tells the story of Tessa, a homeschooled blogger that is left (temporarily) blind after a terrible car accident.  She meets Weston, who also experienced a terrible accident and loss of his own, and together they come to understand what it means to be happy.  The story line has a nice flow (with flashbacks to Weston's life before Tessa) and is full of hope, despair, acceptance, friendship, love, and family.

I can see teens gobbling this one up!  Great debut novel from Abbie Emmons!

Thank you to NetGalley, the author, and the publisher for an ARC in exchange for an honest review of this title.
I voluntarily read and reviewed an ARC of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for letting me read this book.
It was amazing.
It's one I'll be reading again and again; I feel so fortunate to have read it.
Weston is the perfect character for this story. His experiences have made him grow up, and yet he is still a funny mischievous teenager. His story is tragic, and born out of an accident, as some tragedies are. The fact that he is able to face life the way he does makes everyone else's problems pale in significance. The additional side characters (the family on both sides) are so supportive it brought tears to my eyes on more than several occasions.
Tessa is a perfect match for him. The way she's acting is exactly how someone in her situation would. How these two grow together and become familiar is just beautiful.
I savoured every moment of getting to know these two.
This was such a wholesome book and a well-done debut.

I really enjoyed the male lead, Weston. He was such a kind, uplifting, motivational character. And on top of all that, he has such a witty personality that you can't not love him. Tessa was a bit less likable, in my opinion, but it's understandable due to her situation. I did feel that things progressed a bit fast between the two. Tessa switched from hating him to liking him a little too quickly, making the first half of the book feel somewhat uneventful. If there was a longer period of time spent cultivating her feelings, I think this book would've been stronger.

It was a great decision to incorporate two characters in different stages of dealing with their disabilities. Weston has lived with his for years, has overcome so many obstacles, and is extremely inspirational throughout the story. On the other hand, Tessa has just become blind. She's struggling with every aspect of losing that part of herself and needs someone who understands what that feels like. Being an able-bodied person, I don't have the best insight on this, but it felt that disability was dealt with respectfully and that the book was very informative.

There was a lack of conflict throughout the novel, and that did make some parts feel as if they dragged. I also think that more time could've been spent developing underlying themes (such as returning to the church) and secondary characters (like Tessa's grandparents).

Overall, I think this was a great debut and I'll definitely be reading Emmon's future works. I'm really thankful for the opportunity to read the book early!
This is a very good debut novel as well as just a very good novel overall.
The characters are likable and have depth and lend to a moving and cute story with a fun clean romance.

There is a lot of back story for Weston showing how he became such a strong person dealing with the loss of his legs; this strength and understanding lends him the ability to crack Tessa's depressed and angry shell and show her what she's missing in life despite her lack of vision.
However, Weston isn't perfect in the present either. Despite the confidence he shows the world, we see him still stumbling and hung up on how others view him and how he views himself.

If you are looking for a quick and cute romance with a unique and emotional premise, this book is highly enjoyable. Compared with a lot of YA romance books I've read recently (and in the past), this book has a lot of heart in it and doesn't follow some cliche romance storyline. That said, the main issue I had with this book is that the description is pretty much the whole story. There aren't a lot of action events in this book. Mainly we just see how Weston grows on Tessa with his back story slowly shown throughout with a climax of Weston overcoming his fears and cowardice after the 100 days are over.

As a novella this would probably be perfect but I had expected more which led to disappointment... so I guess just expect a quick fun story and you'll love this!
100 Days of Sunlight by Abbie Emmons was absolute perfection. It was one of the most - if not THE most - inspiring story I’ve ever read. Although I usually prefer fantasy books, Abbie’s whimsical writing and amazing characters made it impossible not to love this book. There were times when I was laughing one moment and tearing up the next. I also thought that the duel point of views worked so well for this story. Both Tessa and Weston had their own unique voices and personalities that were clearly displayed in Abbie’s writing. This books deals with heavy topics of despair and loss, while also detailing the beautiful journey of finding your way back to the light. This book was about many things, including bravery, friendship, defiance, motivation, despair, family, and so much more. Most importantly, though, it was about love and how those who truly love you will accept you for who you are, despite the fact that you aren’t perfect. It is also about accepting yourself, which is such an important message. This review was hard to write because I feel like I have no words after finishing 100 Days of Sunlight. It was heartbreaking and motivating in the best ways possible. I am hoping for a sequel so we can see where the wind takes Tessa and Weston next.
3.5/5

I read 100 Days of Sunlight in a single day. In fact, I actually read it over the course of one long car ride. It is a short, sweet contemporary novel about young love, grief, and recovery. It hits a lot of the right spots for a quick heart-felt read. I really enjoyed the novel's theme of recovery told through an exploration through the senses. It gave a nice sense of progression and pacing to the novel that might have felt a little too short or rushed otherwise.

That being said, I found Weston's character a little hard to swallow at certain points especially towards the beginning. Although he served as a nice contrast to Tessa's angst, he felt a little unrealistically positive and mature at times.

I don't read contemporary that often, but overall I found Abbie's novel to be enjoyable and original. I especially appreciated the emphasis on familial relationships and friendships. 100 Days of Sunlight is an excellent debut novel and gets the job done. I look forward to reading what Abbie writes in the future.
“Happiness felt like hell. And Despair felt like my maker.”

100 Days of Sunlight is one of those books that just make your heart feel full after reading it. There were a few scenes — flashbacks and a few chapters at the end — that made a few tears fall out of my eyes. That’s because it was so heart wrenching for me to read about Weston’s story and his struggles especially after you get to know him as this confident, optimistic, and happy-go-lucky guy. I definitely feel like the author really developed the characters personalities well and I loved being able to dive into Wes’ backstory and understand who he is as a character. Being able to experience both Wes and Tessa’s individual journeys and watch how they developed throughout the course of the novel was such a pleasure and joy to read. I genuinely adore both characters (especially Wes, sorry Tessa!) and was so satisfied at what the ending brought for these two characters.

“My heart is a reckless beast, my stomach a cage of butterflies.”

Reading Tessa and Wes’ (or Westess as the IG girls called it lol) develop throughout the book was so satisfying and enjoyable to read. Wes was always so patient, kind, and understanding with Tessa without letting her temporary cortical blindness consume her identity because he’s been where she is and knows what she needs to move out of this place of darkness and anger into one of sunlight and happiness.

Overall, I throughly enjoyed this book and can’t wait to read what Abbie Emmons comes up with next!

**I was provided an arc of 100 Days of Sunlight by Netgalley for my honest review. All opinions are 100% my own.**
This was a compellingly sweet story of two teenagers finding first love in the most charmingly unfortunate way. Everything about it feels so raw and realistic. I look forward to reading more of her work in the future.
Oh, wow. What a fun, interesting and just downright lovely little book. The author delivers a rapid-paced, gripping, well-written and perfectly executed contemporary novel that I know I’ll be thinking about for the next several days. Absolutely charming!!
Thank you to the author and NetGalley for the free review ebook! All opinions are my own.

I was drawn to 100 Days of Sunlight because of the gorgeous cover, and the promise of a "The Fault in Our Stars readalike". The story alternates perspectives of Tessa and Weston. Tessa, a blogger and poet, has lost her sight after an accident. When her grandfather puts an ad out for an "assistant" to bring Tessa's joy in writing back, Weston takes up the call - after all, he's wheelchair bound after an accident himself.
As I began reading, I found the writing fast-paced and visual, which was compelling. However, as the story progressed, I felt that the two main characters became problematic: When Tessa loses her sight in an accident, she is understandably lost and upset. Yet as the book goes on, her continued attitude toward blindness becomes offensive, in my opinion. Tessa agonizes over wanting to "be normal" again, and while this may improve later in the book, the way it is written in the first few chapters totally turned me off to the character. I felt that the disabilities in the book were poorly handled plot points, not true depictions honestly written by an in=group author. The world needs more stories of acceptance, not vilification, of disability.
Weston was equally poorly written: After hearing about a blind girl needing help, Weston is creepily eager to meet her, and shows up at Tessa's house even though a female assistant was requested. He is attracted to Tessa immediately, though they have a horrendous first encounter. I've read books where a situation like this has been well-written (like When Dimple Met Rishi), but this book is NOT like that.
Overall, the characters and their situation doesn't come off as realistic, and disability seems to be used as a prop for a poorly executed meet cute. As a result, I did not finish the book.
I love the cover of this book and now that I've read it, I can fully say this story is beautiful on the inside and out. I read it over the course of 2 days and loved it. It is very cute; I haven't read a YA contemporary that I liked as much as this one in a long while.

The book stars Tessa who is a blogger, poet, homeschooler and recently - and temporarily - blind. The book has minimal characters, but the story has strong focus on family and friendship. Both of the main characters are 16, with some mild flashback timelines. The story overall flows really well, there's despair, hope, acceptance, some laughs and a little bit of teen romance. The story is told through senses and it's heartwarming and sweet.

While I enjoy a more complex story, this is the kind of book I would take to my 11-14 year old cousins/nieces. There's some mild swearing but it's mostly wholesome.

I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. This is my honest opinion.
100 Days of Sunlight tells the story of Tessa who because of a car accident loses her sight for 100 days. Weston comes into her life hoping to help her heal and in a way understand there's always a bright side to life. I quite enjoyed this novel, it was a quick read but positive, uplifting and very much what you need for a pick me up. The themes of disability and healing are treated beautifully and I particularly loved how much it stressed 'there's nothing you can't do'. The novel is very much intended towards a teenager, younger adult audience but I still found it engaging, emotional read. I would recommend this to anyone who wanted to have some positive and good and healthy disability representation in their lives.
The cover art for this novel is just gorgeous. The story itself is gorgeous. This novel took me by surprise. When you look at the book, it looks like it will be a light hearted love story, but that is not the case. This story has so many well developed layers and it was a joy to read. It sucked me in from the very first page and I devoured it within a day. I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone.