Cover Image: Strangled Eggs and Ham

Strangled Eggs and Ham

Robbie Jordan’s rustic country store is growing in popularity. But when a dead body appears, it turns out that Robbie’s home-style cooking attracts hungry customers—and murder!

Yikes! There was a lot going on in this installment of the Country Store Mystery series. It was almost hard to keep up with the run-around plot.
This is a fun series that I have enjoyed reading from the beginning . This was my favorite book of the series.  Thank you to Net Galley and the publisher for the ARC . My opinion is my own.  I highly recommend this series for all that love cozies and enjoy a good mystery with fun charcters and a charming setting.  The series is so much fun to read a reader will benefit from starting with the first in series.

Strangled Eggs and Ham is Book 6 in the popular A Country Store Mystery series.  Robbie Jordan has worked hard to make her businesses work. She owns the country store and the Bed & Breakfast. Her businesses are successful and she loves her staff and her Aunt Adele who works with her.  They are a close group of employees who are friends and both her businessness are running smoothly.

A developer wants to build a new resort in town .  Its protesters against the developers and tempers flare . When threats are made and a murder occurs Robbie decides she must clear the air for everyone involved by solving another murder. She is a savvy smart investigator and has solved murders in the past.

I enjoy the fast paced well crafted plot  . The murder has enough red herrings to keep me guessing. I love the charcters and small town atmosphere that is charming.  The author has a talent for writing and capturing the reader as if your part of the story. I loved it and look forward to the next in series. This is a cozy mystery series that is delightful and fun to read .  It has charm , witty repartee and always a good sleuth with a pleasing conclusion. Very well done to the author.
I am such a fan of all the Robbie Jordan country store books. I am a fan of all the characters and the writing.

I believe that this is the sixth book in the Country store mystery series. You do not have to read it as a series but I do recommend it.

Robbie is renting out two of the apartments above the restaurant as a type of B&B. While she is doing that and running pans n pancakes
Real-estate developer Fiona Closs plans to build a towering luxury resort at one of the most scenic hilltops in Brown County, and not everyone is thrilled, including Robbie’s furious Aunt Adele, who doesn’t waste a minute planning protests and road blockades. When tensions boil over and a vocal protester is found dead at the construction site Robbie steps in to try to find the murderer.

LOVE THIS SERIES!!
A cozy mystery, perfect to read over vacation or with a cup of tea.

This is a fairly typical cozy mystery - the protagonist, Robbie Jordan,  has a job that allows her to spend time solving mysteries, a romantic interest (off screen for this book), and quirky characters in the form of Robbie’s aunt and friends..  What I liked about this book is that we actually saw Robbie working at her cafe, planning menus, dealing with workers being out, etc. instead of leaving the business to the staff to run as frequently happens in cozies.  I also liked how Robbie seemed like a developed character in that she had other concerns going on besides just solving a mystery.  There were a few minor elements that I didn’t like - part of the plot involved the development of a resort which part of the town wanted and part of the town was against.  Robbie kept claiming she was neutral, but kept getting involved.  It seemed a bit of a cop out saying she wasn’t involved.  I think it would have been stronger for her to have been involved just to keep her aunt out of trouble (or something similar).  Same with the final decision about the resort (which I don’t want to discuss to avoid spoilers).

Those are minor quibbles, however - I throughly enjoyed reading this book and have added other books in the series to my TBR pile.
Strangled Eggs And Ham
Country Store Mysteries, Book #6
Maddie Day
5 Stars

Synopsis:

While Robbie scrambles through breakfast orders for her expanding clientele at Pans ‘N Pancakes, tempers run as high as the sticky August heat in South Lick, Indiana. Real-estate developer Fiona Closs plans to build a towering luxury resort at one of the most scenic hilltops in Brown County, and not everyone can see the sunny side of the imposing proposition—including Robbie’s furious Aunt Adele, who doesn’t waste a minute concocting protests and road blockades. When tensions boil over and a vocal protester is silenced forever at the resort site, Robbie ditches the griddle to catch the killer. But if slashed tires are any indication, she’ll need to crack this case before her own aunt gets served something deadly next . . .  (Amazon)

Review:

The writing style flows smoothly and it defines the characters very clearly by their actions and words.  The author is very talented in her descriptive writing and these descriptions pulled me into the story right from the very start.  South Lick, Indiana, seems like a fun place to visit, even with all of the murders.

The characters are well developed and well developed.  Robbie is a strong character with lots of great qualities.  She loves her family and friends and she is not afraid of putting herself out there when she sees an injustice.  I enjoyed spending time with her and her Aunt Adele, you can tell they care a lot about each other.  Aunt Adele is a real firecracker.  The secondary characters added a lot to the story.

The mystery was well developed and carried on well throughout the book.  There were enough suspects to consider and clues to sift through and the mystery was not easily solved.

I would highly recommend this book, and series, to anyone who enjoys a well crafted cozy mystery.  When I spend time with Robbie, I know I am in for a great time.

I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book provided by the publisher, Kensington Books, and NetGalley, which I greatly appreciate.
It's like going home to friends every time I read a book in this series! This latest installment gave aunt Adele and her pal Vera a lot of storyline, and that was fun, since Adele is such a hoot and probably my favorite character. Vera is no slouch either. They both did great holding their own against a killer at the end of the book. I liked how Robbie has become even smarter when it comes to security and reporting everything to the police rather than taking off and winging it alone. Ok, well maybe she did the alone thing which was a bit nerve-wracking to read, but it was all good. I liked that Oscar Thompson and Buck's cousin Wanda were back.

I was pretty close on who the killer was, but the chase was the best part and nailing this person. Robbie had a close encounter that she escaped from--as I said, she's getting better at this. Abe was away for this story, but they at least kept in touch. Danna had a little more storyline as well. I love all Robbie's employees. Each one of them has such an awesome personality and brings different and fun things happening when it's their turn to work. As always, I'm anxious for the next book in the series!

I voluntarily read and reviewed an ARC of this book provided by the publisher via NetGalley, and my opinions are my own.
A new resort has been proposed just on the outskirts of South Lick, Indiana and many of the residents are excited about the potential. However, others are less enthusiastic due to environmental concerns and ideas such as traffic blockades are being discussed. Robbie Jordan, owner of Pans N’ Pancakes, isn’t taking a side in this debate, but her aunt and the former mayor of South Lick, Adele Jordan, is leading the resistance. Unfortunately, tensions are high as a man is now dead and the resort is right smack in the middle of the mystery. Could Adele be the murderer’s next target? Robbie is determined to uncover the murderer and keep her aunt safe.

STRANGLED EGGS AND HAM is the sixth book in the Country Store Mysteries series. Readers can easily jump right into the series and enjoy the characters as Maddie Day provides enough background history to appreciate the various relationships. I have to admit that I missed seeing Abe in STRANGLED EGGS AND HAM, but we get to see more of Robbie and Adele so that is a fun trade-off.

I love that Maddie Day tackles a difficult situation impacting small towns in STRANGLED EGGS AND HAM. We get to see both sides of the debate on tourist growth and how contentious even close relationships can become when livelihoods are at stake. I like that Robbie stayed neutral even though she had some personal thoughts in one direction. Seeing things through her neutral perspective helped emphasize the valid points on both sides of the argument.

It’s always a joy to visit Pans N’ Pancakes in the Country Story Mysteries series! I particularly like that Maddie Day throws in a diversity of tasty sounding culinary treats amidst the more traditional flavors offered at the restaurant and keeping the menu interesting. STRANGLED EGGS AND HAM is yet another entertaining visit with Robbie, Adele, Buck, and the rest of the South Lick residents and I can’t wait to see what Maddie Day has in store for us next!

*review will be published at Fresh Fiction*
This was my first read from the 'Country Store Mystery' series and it was so good! With great characters, a cohesive plot and an abundance of suspects, it would have been difficult not to like this story. The setting, a store and diner called Pans 'N' Pancakes in South Lick, Indiana. selling antique cookware and also serving breakfast and lunch, was a perfect backdrop for this engrossing cozy mystery.  The story held my attention throughout and I look am looking forward to reading the other books in this delightful series. A well-deserved five stars!

I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel, at my own request, from Kensington Books via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
Everyone who follows the Country Store Mysteries think that they are the series’ biggest fan. Well everyone, you’re wrong. I am! ;-) Seriously, author Maddie Day has created such a delightful series, it’s no wonder it is so well loved.

I’m very excited each time I read a new book in this series. But also a little nervous at first. I mean, how can author Day pen a story even better than the one before? How can she keep it fresh, and interesting? Because she’s brilliant, that’s how! Every book in this series is better than the last, and STRANGLED EGGS AND HAM is no exception. From page one until the end, I was glued to my seat. I’m telling you, it would have had to have been an emergency of global proportions to drag me away from this book.

The best in the series to date (if you didn’t already get that from everything I said above), STRANGLED EGGS AND HAM is a fabulous mystery within an equally wonderful character centric tale. I found myself so invested in the story, that when my dog barked, I was startled to find I wasn’t really in South Lick, Indiana within the walls of Pans ‘N Pancakes. I’m honest in saying, I could even smell the food! Speaking of, the recipes included are high on the yummy scale.

Exciting, fun, engrossing, surprising . . .  I could go one and on with positive adjectives to describe just how much I loved STRANGLED EGGS AND HAM. But instead, I think you should get a copy and see for yourself. You’ll be happy that you did!
Robbie is walking a fine line trying to stay neutral on the issue of a new resort near South Lick, Indiana. Her aunt Adele is protesting it being built. Robbie has an environmental lawyer staying at her B&B who decides to get involved siding with her aunt Adele. Gregory is murdered the very next day.
There are a cast of suspects, some accidents and vandalism leading up to the reveal of the murderer.
I enjoyed the mystery but this felt more formulaic cozy mystery than what is usual for Maddie Day’s writing. I was intrigued by how the title plays into different parts of the book.
Abe was out of town for the entire book, which decreased the real interactions Robbie was having with familiar characters.
I think this could be read as a stand-alone even though it’s book six in the County Store mystery series.
I didn’t know there was such a thing as strangled eggs until I read this book.
Never underestimate the older generation. I don’t know if I could keep up with Adele and Vera, but it would be fun to try. This was a good story and you may even have had a similar situation in the area you live in. Seems to be happening more and more. I love the mountains and enjoy their beauty. Love these characters. There are definitely some interesting ones! I think it might be fun to have a B&B and would love to eat some of that yummy food that was served. I can’t wait to go back to Indiana and see what my friends are up to next. I received this book from NetGalley, but my opinion is my own.
This is a solid 6th installment in the Country Store Mystery cozy series. The sleuth is Roberta (Robbie) Jordan, the owner of Pans N Pancakes, a Southern Indiana breakfast/lunch eatery, which is attached to a country store. The focus is on both the proponents and the opponents of a big new development in this small town of South Lick.

It's a fun series with lots of characters I'm sure I will grow to love. This was the first book I read in the series, which is very unusual for me, but the highest praise I can give it is that, as soon as I finished this one, I immediately started the first book in the series, Flipped for Murder, to see how the series developed.

Highly recommended for cozy fans!!

(I received a copy of this book from the publisher, via Net Galley, in exchange for a fair and honest review.)
I had to ask myself why I requested a book which was well into a series, something I hardly ever do. Most cozy mysteries require a deep-rooted emotional attachment to the lead characters in order to wade your way through the tale. Starting part way after most important connections and attitude forming events have already occurred is usually a bad idea.

I wonder if you noticed the use of the word 'usually', because this time it was not the case. This sixth book of the series is strong enough on its own to hold your attention and tell you a complete story. We meet our leading lady at the beach, she has already obtained a name for herself as an amateur sleuth and with her connection to the murder that occurs (it happens well after the beach scene), ensures no one questions her poking around while trying to figure the solution out. The town is currently in the grips of a dilemma, there is a resort being proposed which will bring in work for the locals but on the other end, it will cause destruction of natural resources. Robbie is mentally for the resort and its possible benefits but all her near and dear are against so she keeps her counsel while watching it all play out. The death may or may not make much sense once everything is revealed but the daily nitty-gritty of running a local B&B and all the 'local' vs non-local lingo as well as thought process are what I enjoyed about the book. The explanations given for the mystery part of the tale are pretty standard and follow a linear path.

The narrative is interesting and keeps you engaged and the bonus are recipes for all the interesting stuff they cook up in the kitchen some of which I can adapt into a vegetarian version for myself, something I intend to do in the near future!
Strangled Eggs & Ham is book six of seven in the Country Store mystery series. Book seven is expected to release on March 31, 2020. This is my first book by Maddie Day

Robbie Jordan (Pans 'N Pancakes - owner), Lou Perlman (best friend), Adele (aunt to Robbie) live in South Lick, Indiana While there are a lot of other characters, seem to be the three main individuals. Locals are fighting about the possibility of a new hotel development in this episode when someone turns up dead! Now the hunt is on!

I liked the intro and lead in it wasn't slow or too fast I really liked Ms. Day's writing style as well. Although I will admit as a new reader there were plenty of places I just didn't "get" or understand a comment or joke. I fully and easily understood what was happening in the mystery portion and was highly entertained. I would recommend this book.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC.
Another wonderful addition to this fun series!

Robbie Jordan's restaurant is busier than ever; with B&B guests upstairs and more customers than she has seats she is run off her feet during business hours. However that still leaves her plenty of time to catch up with friends, family and to know what's going on in South Lick .. and even to look into yet another murder.

I love this series. It's such fun! Living in a rural Scottish village, the food in the county of Indiana is all new to me although there is enough of a description for me to work it out! The characters are, by now, quite familiar but there are always new ones popping up in each book. The story flows beautifully and the author always keep the perpetrator's identity cloaked in secrecy until the very last pages - just how I like it. Skilfully crafted, there is so much happening in this one that I just seemed to fly through the pages. So good! Entertaining from first to last, this is turning out to be a great series. Author Maddie Day also writes as Edith Maxwell; her Quaker midwife mysteries are excellent and well worth a look if you enjoy this genre. A quick mention also has to go to her creative titles in the County Story Mystery Series .. always worth a chuckle! This, the sixth book, absolutely  earns a full house of stars.

My thanks to publisher Kensington for my copy via NetGalley. As always, all opinions given are entirely my own honest view.
I like this series and this installment met all my expectations.
It's an engrossing and entertaining read, full of twists and turns that will keep you guessing till the end.
It was great to meet again the cast of characters and be involved in a new exciting mystery.
I look forward to reading the next installment in this series.
Recommended!
Many thanks to Kensington Books and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Strangled Eggs and Ham
(Country Store Mysteries #6)
by Maddie Day

Paperback, 295 pages
Expected publication: June 25th 2019 by Kensington Publishing Corporation

Goodreads synopsis:

***

3 Stars

This is the sixth book in the  Country Store Mysteries by Maddie Day. It is the first book I have read in the series and it was not hard to get into like some are after entering a series late. This is also a new author for me and I was getting used to her tone and writing style while reading this.

I have been reading a lot of pretty thrilling series lately and so this one seemed to pale in comparison. If I had been reading it any other time, I might have rated it higher. The mystery was good. It kept me interested and I found the lead character compelling and not snooze-worthy. This has all the building blocks for a great book and I am not certain what it was exactly that made me come to the “it’s just okay” conclusion.

I felt a little standoffish as a reader, as if I was standing on the side-lines watching the action instead of being involved in the action. Maybe I would have resonated with it more if Aunt Adele was the main character instead of Robbie. I don’t know.

I am sure that if you are a hard core cozy mystery reader, this will definitely be your jam. It has all the elements we look for in a good book. I feel like I just read it at the wrong time and after a few particularly thrilling books which threw off my rating. Decide for yourself. Definitely worth the read.

I received this as an ARC (Advanced Reader Copy) in return for an honest review. I thank NetGalley, the publisher and the author for allowing me to read this title.
Strangled Eggs And Ham is the sixth book in the Country Store Mystery series.

Things are in a turmoil in South Lick, Indiana.  Fiona Closs a developer wants to build a huge luxury resort just outside of South Lick.  Many residents are in favor as there are residents that need employment, but just as many oppose it saying that ruin the serene little community.

One summer day, Robbie and her girlfriend Lou Perlman head out to Lake Lemon for a day of relaxing and swimming.  While there they meet Gregg DeGraff, an environmental lawyer from Indianapolis.  Soon they are discussing the proposed construction and Greg offers to handle, pro bono, the fight to block the construction of the resort.  Robbie on her drive home passes the proposed site and notices that the developer has already started to cut down some trees on the land.  The next day she gets a call from Lou who tells her that while out cycling she has found Gregg’s dead body along the side of the road.

The group opposing the development is hit hard by this news, but Robbie’s feisty Aunt Adele says the group is still going to go ahead with their plan to block the road passing the site as a peaceable protest in hopes of gaining support.  Then when Adele finds one of her sheep entangled in barb wire, which she has none on her farm,  and then she has her tires slashed while at Pan ‘N Pancakes where NIMBY(not in my backyard) are having a strategy meeting for their protest.  Robbie soon finds that there is no shortage of suspects for the murder of Gregg.

I really love this series, not only is it well-plotted and told, but I truly enjoy how Ms. Day includes some of the dialects of Brown County, IN., which I find to very interesting.  As I live in Northern Indiana, I have heard many of them, but I can always count on learning a few new ones.

Delicious sounding recipes are also included with the books.

I’m definitely looking forward to the next book in this delightful series.
Series: A Country Store Mystery - Book 6
Author: Maddie Day
Genre: Cozy Mystery/Culinary
Publisher: Kensington Books
Page Count: 416

The latest in the “A Country Store Mystery” cozy mystery series by Maddie Day (AKA: Edith Maxwell) Strangled Eggs and Ham from Kensington books hits book stores next week. And it will fly off the shelves!

Ms. Maxwell knows how to write a cozy mystery series. Her characters are lively, fascinating, and just what the reader wants and anticipates.  Robbie is no exception. She’s hard-working, dedicated, and loveable. Aunt Adele is the eccentric ex-hippy who teaches her niece to stand up for what she believes in. This makes everyone worry. Other characters are just as loveable and help keep Robbie on target in her life.

The setting of this cozy mystery series could be any small town in America. Reading about the town and the inhabitants fills the reader with a sense of warmth, community, and home. From the highest hill to the beach, this community has it all. Even when murder comes to call, the people of South Lick rally to stop a killer.

The murderer seems to be an opportunist, or maybe a grudgeful person from the victim’s past. Either way, it looks like someone is out to get Robbie’s aunt next. No matter what the motive, Robbie must find the killer before Aunt Adele falls victim at the killer’s hands. It doesn’t take long before Robbie and Adele find themselves facing a murderer. Both women are strong-willed and determined, a killer is no match for them.

This cozy mystery series is why people enjoy cozies so much. It has everything a good mystery should have, twists and turns, red herrings, resolutions, with a character-driven plot that keeps readers turning the page and looking forward to the next installment. The writing is top notch, the scenario plausible, and the killer unsympathetic. It is a pleasure to read and to recommend Strangled Eggs and Ham.

ARC provided by Kensington via NetGalley
Robbie Jordan's restaurant and B&B business continues to thrive in this sixth installment of the Country Store series. One of her guests is a bike riding enthusiast and also an environmental lawyer, who becomes interested in a resort project dividing the town of South Lick, Indiana. The project can bring jobs to the community but will also result in negatively affecting the long-standing natural environment. Robbie's Aunt Adele and a group of her close friends decide to protest the development and recruit Greg, the attorney, to their cause. When he is found strangled to death near the resort, the stakes rise to a whole new level.

This is a great series and I have read all of the preceding books. It can be read as a standalone as the author gives enough background information for the reader. It is very well-written and exceptional attention is given to local dialect and speech patterns. Robbie's character continues to develop as an independent woman, especially since her boyfriend Abe is at a out-of-town seminar for this book. I enjoyed learning more about Aunt Adele and her relationship with Robbie, especially since she is the one who was the original owner of the property. There are several delicious recipes at the end which are featured in the book. Highly recommend!

Thanks to NetGalley and Kensington books for a digital ARC of this book. My review is voluntary.