Cover Image: The House of Brides

The House of Brides

After terribly failing at being a social media influencer Miranda's dad finds her a steady 9-5 job.  The night before she is supposed to start she finds a letter addressed to her mom, an author of the book House of Brides (based on the Barnsley House where her mom grew up), who died which Miranda was young.  Miranda snatches the letter to find it is from the Barnsley House in England and its from her cousin who probably doesn't know she exists. Miranda decides she wants to find out why her mom left Barnsley house to never return.  She buys a ticket with her dad's credit card and when she gets there she pretends to be interviewing for the nanny job.  As Miranda searches for answers about her mother and why she left.  She meets people of her mothers past and starts to understand the horrors of the house.
A thrilling familial drama, The House of Brides follows Miranda - a young woman trying to recover from an social media snafu and decides to infiltrate her dead mother's ancestral home. Everything seems idyllic, but deadly secrets lurk around every corner. I quite enjoyed this book and found Miranda to be pretty sympathetic. The mystery of her mother's book and the currently missing matriarch of the Summer estate kept me glued to the pages. I highly recommend this book if you like claustrophobic Gothic mysteries, with a dash of familial drama!

A special thank you to Netgalley for providing me with a free advanced copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.
The House of Brides was such an eerie read that I found unputdownable!  From the beginning, Jane Cockram did a fantastic job with hooking me!  The storyline was very well paced and there were several perfectly timed twists and turns that I didn’t see coming—love that!  I was shocked that this is Jane Cockram’s debut novel because she writes like a seasoned veteran!  The House of Brides is a 4.5 star read that will keep you reading way past your bedtime!  I am excited to see what Jane Cockram comes out with next!
A novel for those who like a Gothic feel in their family dramas.  This book is full of the dark corners and family secrets that are reminiscence of in Daphne de Maurier and Phillipa Carr, but she gave it a modern feel with the updated characters and setting.
Although a great read, I did find it lacking throughout. At some points I just wanted to get on with the story, yet I could put it down at the same time.
Following scandal Miranda, a social media influencer finds herself an unemployed social pariah. Floundering to find her place in this new existence she finds herself drawn to the past hoping to find a future through understanding the women of her family. This string of remarkable women all have one thing in common, the Summer ancestral home of Barnsley. Only upon arriving at the palatial mansion can Miranda uncover the secrets of the past to reveal the path to her future.

The House of Brides is a thrilling mystery which engages the reader in a quest for answers. The pace can be slow in areas but rounds out well at the close of the book. The protagonist is a likeable character who engages readers in the quest for answers. To enhance the atmosphere of this book Cockram provides beautiful descriptions of the English countryside and the Summer estate which embrace both beauty and menace. Recommended for those who love gothic mystery and women’s fiction.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher via NetGalley. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
I had an uneasy feeling throughout this book, and I don't mean uneasy in the thrilling, suspenseful, engaging way - I mean some thing seemed...not quite right. My eventual conclusion is that it was written by the same computer program that "watched" hours of olive garden commercials and then wrote one of its own. It's almost worth reading the thing so you can see what I mean. Almost.
I was very excited to receive an advanced copy of this book and appreciate it very much. This book had some very interesting and intriguing parts—mystery, historical aspects and drama. However, it moved at an incredibly slow pace and was quite honestly hard to stay engaged with at many points. Rather disappointing as the premise of the book was quite intriguing.
Thank you to the publisher for sending me an ARC of this book.
The setting for this page-turning thriller was perfect.   It was a gripping read.