Formation

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

I thought this was the full version but I loved the preview. As a military woman myself I was intrigue by the premise of this memoir. The military life is hard on woman and there is a lot of fear on speaking up about it. So of course I had to read this one!  I just got approved for that one so I will be giving my full feed back on the full version. Thank you!
Vivid, harsh, heartbreaking, and a powerful conviction of a society and culture that does not trust, value, or believe women.
I would love to read the whole book. Being veteran's wife, I crave anything related to military that gives you a glimpse of the lifestyle. I think the preview was fine, though I'd love to read more. I love the honesty the book has included.
Formation by Ryan Leigh Dostie is a haunting, raw account of Dostie's rape during her time in the military. Dostie does not mince words nor does she hesitate transitioning into the topic; she dives headfirst into her encounter with her rapist. The events tumble at breakneck speed afterward; some of which were difficult or even impossible to read; I found myself seething with frustration or rage at the apathy of others' actions.

Dostie introduces cruel and kind characters: from Andres allowing her to sleep on the floor of his room contrasted sharply with the disgust from Captain Wells. Following the crime, Dostie describes her interactions not only with her superior officers, but with the attorneys and interrogations and being forced to engage with her rapist on duty. No backgrounds are wasted; they are introduced as it occurred, and nothing more is told. It is a personal preference, but I would have liked to learn more about the dramatis personae and more about Dostie's background outside of her being in the military and her frequently mentioned Christian upbringing. Her logical, concise narrative reflects her disciplined military background; yet, her prose is easily digestible and at times, beautiful and melancholic. I was deeply invested in her case; I ended up finishing the book in a single night.

I would recommend this book for anyone who has endured the violence of sexual assault or to anyone who considers themselves an ally to victims. This is especially important following the surge of the "me too" movement and Dr. Christine Blasey Ford's testimony against now Supreme Court Justice, Brett Kavanaugh. Dostie's bravery in sharing her story proves that the actions of these perpetrators will not go unnoticed or unpunished.
I accidentally chose the preview version of this book instead of the full book. However, I’m a few chapters in and am finding this to be a difficult but important story.

I have requested the full book and hope to be able to provide a longer and more detailed review soon. For now, great heaps of kudos to Dostie for telling her story.
Formation is a short introduction into the memoir. It would be interesting to finish it. A very emotional book.
I loved this preview. I can't believe this is only the first few chapters. Why isn't there a full galley available? I have this on request at the public library and am waiting on this to be ordered. What is the purpose of NetGalley if not to deliver advanced reading copies to waiting, willing librarians? #Frustrated.
Gut wrenching raw Ryan Leigh Dostie writes so openly of her rape while serving our country by a fellow soldier. Ryan is a young woman raised  as a Christian fundamentalist now enlisted out for a night having a couple of drinks nothing unusual or wrong her friend brings her back to her room she collapses on her bed and the next thing she is aware of she is being sexually assaulted by someone she recognizes.The aftermath the way she is treated doubted by her superiors is sad disgusting.I read this preview in shock rooting for Ryan will be reading this book as soon as it’s published .Will be excellent for my book club there is so much to discuss, #netgalley#grandcentralpublishing.