Cover Image: Avidly Reads Making Out

Avidly Reads Making Out

Kissing is weird man. Writing about kissing is weird too. But this book was very well done and I enjoyed the variety of ideas and perspectives explored. A very clever concept.
Avidly Reads Making Out by Kathryn Bond Stockton is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in early October.

Whoa, impactful, poetic, sensual turns of phrase in even the smallest of concepts. Dang! Kisses as acknowledging something culturally profane, its status as a word being deceptively strong; a gateway to very naughty places. Early on, Bond Stockton works through the ‘rules’ and/or the do’s and don’ts of being gay by strengthening, clarifying and comparing their feelings to films and TV.
Not was I was expecting, and not in a good way.  This memoir in essay form is written in a very poetic and abstract way, but ends up being vague and confusing and I coudn't actually bring myself to finish it.
Avidly Reads Making Out is a dry disappointing book. I could not finish even half of this book. I really tried to get through this.
Hoo boy, this book was not for me. At 173 pages, I couldn't even finish it. Too vague, too wishy-washy, no concrete ideas whatsoever. I have a Master's in Narrative Theory and this was so theory-based, nothing tangible to hold onto at all, that it was completely incomprehensible. I got 40 pages in and I literally could not continue. The use of parentheses every other sentence (to add meaning? Usually with interrogatives? For no apparent reason?) really, really didn't help the flow. It came across as fragmented, and in a book which is already difficult to get a foothold on, that was the nail in the coffin for me.

This book might be someone else's favourite. I'm sure someone else will be able to parse some meaning from it. I wish I could be that person, but I am not.