Cover Image: Mixed Feelings

Mixed Feelings

A poignant read, some beautiful stories told, really hit hard. A few stories felt a little unfinished, making them hard to appreciate.
Mixed Feelings is a gorgeous book— both in its' words and it's illustrations— and it was an absolute pleasure to read. Mainly focusing on being mixed race, this book also touches on religion, gender, family, and identity in general, and in such an elegant yet real way.

The world loves to label people and squish them into tiny little boxes. I fit into mine pretty well: I'm a white, blonde-haired, blue-eyed, cis woman. Nobody makes me question which part of myself I should value and identify with, or asks me insensitive questions about my family. (Ex. "Was your grandfather okay with your mom marrying a brown man?") As such, this book has left me with a pile of things to reflect on and privileges to be mindful of. My beautiful great-grandma is Metis— part Native Canadian (Algonquin, specifically) and part French Canadian— and I wonder how much of her life was spent being stuffed inside a box too small for her. If there wasn't such a large language barrier, I'd love to ask about her experience. (Not that this has anything to do with the book, but she's the coolest person ever and I love to talk about her. 91 years old and still goes camping by herself, cooks up a storm, and shovels her own driveway!)

This book is beautiful in every sense of the word, and I highly recommend it.
Wow. Mixed Feelings is a powerful book. I love the way Avan Jogia used pictures, illustrations, and poetry to explore experience -- all for a reading experience that is vital and should be shared. It was my pleasure to review a digital copy. Now, I am ready for one in print. Recommended reading.
This is a poetry collections that mainly explores what it means to be a mixed-race person in a world who is constantly trying to put everyone in a single and defining box. Told through multiple voices this book explores this theme alongside others, such as religion, violence, bullying, and love. The collection also offers some pictures from Avan Jogia’s childhood which are featured in some of his poems. The colours used compliment the poems so well and they truly add something more to this work. I was pleasantly surprised by this book and it gave me a lot to reflect on.
A fresh and interesting exploration of race and culture (as well as gender, religion etc.) as told through many perspectives of "mixed race" individuals woven together skillfully with the author's poetry that forces us to look at how divisive labels can be and asks us to look beyond them at that which is innately human and connects us all. Full of anger, hope and beauty, this collection of poems is sure to stay with you.