Cover Image: Love, Unscripted

Love, Unscripted

I like this book, but did not love it. I was hoping for more of a second chance romance, and while the ending hints at this, the book never actually includes this trope. I normally love books with different POVs, but it just didn’t do it for me in this book. I liked reading about the present day and the little intermission parts where he’s writing about their life,  but I honestly didn’t really enjoy the POV from the past where we get to see Tnoer first date. I would have liked to see more of their whole relationship rather than just the first date. I liked how the POV of the novel was from a male perspective because I don’t think we see that a lot, but the main character was very flat to me, and  very “woe is me,” and not really willing to try and make his life better. I also decided after reading this book that I don’t really enjoy books with tons of pop culture references in them. A lot of the movies mentioned I haven’t seen (so I didn’t really understand how they were relevant), or considering the book took place in 2008 and 2012, I haven’t seen in years so I don’t really remember them well. I think the author did a good job including them, I just realized I don’t like it. Still, I did enjoy the story.
As always, I appreciate the opportunity to read and review your titles.  I have chosen to DNF this title...actually, I did a while ago but wanted to wait (although I didn't intend to wait this long) to post this so it didn't impact review decision for other reviewers.

I look forward to the next title from your authors/company.

Thanks,
Laura
This was a rom-com inspired book that I read because I saw it on Netgalley and was approved for it. It was released last June and I just finished it in January. It took a while to read because it took a while for me to get into it, and in the end, I didn't feel like it was worth my time. Nick, a movie buff and employee at a movie theater, is going through a breakup with his one true love, Ellie. After, he can't help but wonder (Carrie Bradshaw style) if love even exists. The entire book goes back and forth between the present & past when Ellie and Nick first met. I felt like nothing really happened in this book and I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. There are other romantic comedies based books out there.
I really did enjoy this book. It was a nice change to get to see the males POV, that rarely happens!
It was a bit hard for me to get into at first. I love happy go lucky love stories, which this is not.
But, I will say it did end on a good, hopeful note and that helped a bit!
Overall, I'd give it 4 stars. I think the author did a good job at character building and letting us see how the relationship progressed, good and bad.
The nostalgia Nicholls gives Nick as he tries to find what went wrong with him and Ellie is warranted for the occasion. Nick is blindsided to find out Ellie isn't happy and once she leaves him all he has left are questions. I think there is a place for realistic romance in novels, but it's not my cup of tea. I want it to work out and a happily ever after or at least a happily right now. I also found Nick incredibly whiny and full of manic-pixie dream girl feelings that it was hard to root for him or stick around while he figured out what I already knew about why Ellie left. Overall, not a romance I wanted to watch unfold and then fall apart.
Love, Unscripted by Owen Nicholls is a witty, contemporary romance about Ellie and Nick reflecting on their relationship.
I wasn’t a big fan of the three timelines, but appreciate the greater understanding of the characters that it gave. Honestly though, I wasn’t a big fan of Nick and his woe-is-me, rude attitude throughout. I ended up agreeing with Ellie and kind of rooting against Nick at times. I’m not saying that I expect all characters in books to be perfect, that would be annoying and too unrealistic, but some of his flaws I had a hard time moving past. Still, the story was entertaining for a light read.

My favorite part of the book was all of the old movie references and the speed in which I was able to finish the story.
Thank you to Netgalley and the Publisher for this early copy!

Did not finish - I did not connect with the plot and writing and decided to put it down.
Another one I wanted so badly to love but it just fell flat% I was excited for this one too so I think that made me a little more frustrated.
Funny movie references throughout this one, and the romance was sweet -- but I couldn't identify with the characters at all, unfortunately, and the timeline hopping got a little confusing.
Love, Unscripted was such a fun read! All the theater and movie references and settings made it a fun read for anyone who's got some love for those things. The character development was realistic and enjoyable, and the stakes and the relationship ups and downs kept me hooked and entertained from start to finish! An enjoyable and fun read for sure!
Despite the cute title and fun cover art, this is not ur typical heartwarming romcom. And u know, I think I liked it even better because of that. I think it's good to know that going in, so u can properly appreciate the sentiment of the novel. This is story about Nick and Ellie. The chapters go back and forth between how they met/the start of the relationship, and then to the present day the unraveling of it.
What I liked a lot about the narrative is that it is entirely from the perspective of Nick. We rarely get the guy's side! And especially not without the girl's side alongside it. Once u get over it not being a happy go lucky read, u come to really appreciate the cleverness, the tangability of a real live relationship- the hope at the prospect of one just beginning, and the despair at the reality of one ending.
I'll be honest, it's not the easiest reading through someone's thoughts and feelings during probably one of the lowest or hardest times in their lives. Even if u put a funny sarcastic spin on it lol. I'm really glad I took my time with it though, because a lot of it was so relatable and pertinent and true to life. It's not easy looking inward, putting the spotlight on yourself and admitting to ur shortcomings. But I think everyone faces this at one time or another in life, and it's nice to know that even if you're a person adverse to change, u can get through it (maybe kicking and screaming but u can 😜). Anyway, I'm grateful to @penguinrandomhouse #ballantinebooks for the early copy. And thanks to @owenpaulnicholls for taking us on this journey
Enjoyed this book.  It might not be the most original take, but it was still an enjoyable read. Looking forward to reading more by this author in the future.
I wanted to like this. I wanted to like this so much. Unfortunately, there were too many allusions to movie references or bands that I didn't know. Also, I never really loved either of main characters. Nick was like a walking red flag. He wasn't really going anywhere, he didn't have a lot of motivation. We didn't really get to know Ellie all that much, because of the limited point of view, and I felt like maybe she should just cut and run, which I know wasn't the authors intention. I didn't follow the back and forth timelines well...the past on Election Night just was not worth half the book, and it made the overall speed of the book sloooooooow. Overall, I am going to say that I didn't love this one.

*Not posting review online
I've started reading this book, but I do not believe I'll finish it. So far, I've read that Nick, a film projectionist, is having trouble getting over his girlfriend of four years, Ellie, who he met on the night that Obama was elected.  I've tried to get engaged with this book, but after an hour of reading, it's just not happening.
This book was pretty cute and it was definitely enjoyable. I adored Nick and Ellie and was really rooting for them. If you are looking for a quick and cute romcom, look no further!
DNF'ed at 50%. While the premise of the story is interesting and fun, the characters are sometimes unbearable and kind of hard to follow. This book just wasn't what I hoped it would be.
A cute 500 Days of Summer-esque story as Nick relives his relationship and breakup like a movie. Very cute and enjoyable for a light read.
I so badly wanted to like this book, and it came so close on so many occasions ... but it just never reached it's full potential for me. The MC was a bit too much "woe is me," when he had a perfectly lovely girl that adored him and just wanted him to grow up. And honestly, she didn't even want him to change careers or be something he wasn't, she just wanted him to take on some more responsibility so that he could be a better long term partner. Sorry, don't see the problem with that. But WOE IS HIM and WOE UNTO HIS LIFE and WOE, WOE, ALL THE WOE.

Sorry, dude. Not my problem.

The ending was hopeful and helped my feelings regarding said dude a little bit, but not enough to have me recommending this one.

(I will say, however, the dude's movie & music references were ON. POINT.)

Thank you to NetGalley, Ballantine Books, & Random House for the opportunity to read and review this book before it's publication date! This in no way affected my review, opinions are my own.
For some reason, I just cannot get into romance novels written by a man. Just not as relatable for me I suppose. Not for me but I am sure it will appeal to a lot of other people.
I’ll just say it: I don’t think every romance needs a happily ever after. Love, Unscripted doesn’t have one, and I actually found it kind of refreshing (I have read a few reviews by readers who were mad about it, though). Unfortunately, that was really the only thing I liked about this book. And I’m sad about it, because I really wanted to like this.

My main complaint about this book was that it was just SO SLOW. I pick up romance books because they’re usually fun, quick reads. But I struggled with this one. I felt like this book could have benefited from being edited down a little bit – it’s only a little bit longer than most romance books I’ve read, but it dragged. I think the movie references might have been a little bit overkill (I come from a big family of movie buffs, and I there were so many that went over my head).

It’s also a challenge to read a romance and root for characters you don’t care about. And I really didn’t care about these characters. Nick was kind of annoying, and Ellie was just meh. Even the side characters were often cringe-worthy (way too much time was spent on the obnoxious libertarian Tom).

I really struggled to get through this book. The pacing didn’t work for me, I didn’t really like the characters, and the story wasn’t enough to redeem it.