Cover Image: The King at the Edge of the World

The King at the Edge of the World

The King at the Edge of the World by Arthur Phillips is an ingenious, witty, historical fiction that starts out on the slower side, but becomes rich with layers and complexities that make the novel a pure joy to read. This book is witty, complex, fascinating, and leaves the reader wanting more.

The main character, a Turkish physician that is left behind after being a part of the Turkish ambassador’s entourage in a diplomatic trip to England at the beginning of the 17th century, is thrust into the middle of the political/religious upheaval  that is still consuming life in England toward the end of Queen Elizabeth’s Protestant reign.

Dr. Ezzedine ensnared into this hot mess, is to spy on James VI in  Scotland, and to find if he is truly a practicing Catholic or a Protestant.

I will leave the summary here for the reader, as they can find out further premise themselves without giving away the entire plot/finish here in my review.

The great thing about this piece is that it does intertwine with “actual history”, and I feel it makes for an even better read. The author is able to weave this fictional tale amongst real historical events, leaving the reader feel as if this could have actually happened.
It was a great read, and I highly recommend this fascinating HF.

5/5 stars

Thank you NetGalley and Random House Publishing for this great ARC and in return I am submitting my unbiased and voluntary review and opinion.

This is posted to my GR account immediately and will post to my Amazon, Bookbub, and B&N accounts upon publication.
This book sneaks up on you. It starts out with the Turkish ambassador and his retinue visiting England and Queen Elizabeth on a state visit. Among the retinue is a the ambassador’s doctor. I did not know which way the book would go, but without giving too much away, the doctor allegedly converts to Christianity and is sent as a spy to Scotland to help the English determine if James I is catholic or protestant. If this sounds rather dry and unexciting, you would be wrong. Phillips imbues this unlikely tale with humor, suspense and surprises. The book is extraordinarily well written and the history is excellent. Really good historical fiction is hard to find. Look no further. Highly recommended.
The story of a Turkish doctor at the turn of the 17th century who is buffeted by fate (and some treachery) to England where he becomes embroiled in the line of succession. So happy to have a new Phillips novel to read.