Cover Image: My Way To You

My Way To You

Parker Sinclair has been struggling to keep everything together since the death her parents left her to bring up her brother and sister. She is relieved when their home is saved during the wildfire that sweeps through the region but is acutely aware that is has left the property at serious risk of flooding. Hope arrives in the form of Colin Hudson whose responsilibity is to try to prevent flooding from damaging the surrounding properties. This story describes the long hard slog that people in this position have gone through in recent times. Well written but a bit heavy going due to the subject matter. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this story. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
My Way To You is a very well written romance.  Great plot with believable characters. I am looking forward to reading more books in this series.  I received an arc from the publisher and Netgalley and this is my unbiased review.
I can't tell you how much I loved this book. A great beginning to a new series from Ms Bybee.  I couldn't put it down.  Parker a really strong woman had to grow up fast and take care of the sister and brother when their parents past. Colin is a public works supervisor.  He's trying to save Parker's property and neighborhood.  Colin really has to work for Parker's affection.  This book has it all. Drama, romance, lots of action. A fiction embellished on true facts.  Fascinating.
5 Star Review My Way To You (Creek Canyon #1) by Catherine Bybee

I was excited when I learnt that Catherine Bybee had a new series releasing and although this book is a bit of a departure from previous books I have read by her,  as always the heroine of the story Parker Sinclair is a strong and resilient women.

Parker’s life has not been easy, having to look after her younger siblings when her parents died, she never got to graduate college and has no real skills. To say that their lives have been difficult is a massive understatement and when faced with the latest blow, a fire that almost destroyed their home and a mudslide that might, she is at her wits end. Colin Hudson’s job as a public works supervisor is to protect property from further damage. His job is made harder by Parker who refuses to relinquish control.

Colin is attracted to Parker, a woman he knows has been through so much and yet is determined not to give in. All he wants to do is help and protect her but it is hard going. My Way To You is a heartfelt story that is emotional and at times gut wrenching. It is also a sweet story about love and overcoming obstacles that life puts in your path and in doing so allowing oneself to open up to the possibility of finding love and happiness.

This book was well written, with characters who have flaws and are not afraid to show them, this story will get to you in many ways.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley.
This book should probably come with a disclaimer for Ms. Bybee's fans.  It isn't the anticipated romance that she is so gifted and famous for.  Although there is some romance in it, the story fits much more closely in the women's fiction genre. The reason is that the plot revolves around one woman's plight with saving her house, and her family against the fires and floods that hit her area and her home.

It's an extremely enlightening look at a subject that very few get the opportunity to be educated on but so many (especially in California) experience.  The writing is engaging and flows nicely with the author's lovely stamp of skill and warmth.  Because so much is focused on the disasters, preparing for, warding against and cleaning up after, however, the story tends to plod along at a slow pace at times.  At time, there really isn't a whole lot of plot outside of this focus which, while interesting,  creates an educational feel rather than a novel vibe.

Still, Ms. Bybee's gift comes through in her characters, wraps the reader into their lives and keeps one rooting for their success until that last page is turned with a sigh and a smile.
I found this author through a friend and I'm so thankful!   This story is perfectly paced, interesting relationships and has a plot that I couldn't stop reading. How exciting to know yet again I love a Catherine Bybee book!!
Catherine Bybee has well earned her spot on my favorite authors-to-read list.  I crave more to a story than just the couple getting together, and she delivers every time.  There was so much heart in My Way to You.  I just fell in love with all of these characters and the struggles they were going through.

Parker Sinclair is one tough chic. I want to be her when I grow up.  Everything that she and her siblings have gone through would test the toughest of characters and she shined.  After reading this book, I feel incredibly lazy compared to her.  I feel like I need to get up and get to work because I admired her tenacity and her work ethic.  She was just an incredible heroine and I can't say enough about her.

Collin Hudson is the type of guy any woman would be lucky to have in their life.  His parents taught him right on how to treat others.  He was a mature, responsible man who just wanted to take care of those he loved.  He was exactly the right guy for Parker.  They may have butted heads a bit but it was just the right amount to show that these characters were flawed like the rest of us, but not too much to turn you off as a reader.

There were also some pretty amazing side characters that I'm going to assume will eventually have their own book in the series.  All I can say is, I can't wait!  I loved this book and will be counting down the days for the next book in the series
Catherine did not let me down.  I have enjoyed a couple of other of her books in the past and this just adds to the list!
Parker, having the responsibility of raising her younger siblings, feels that she can't rely on anyone but herself.
So when wild fires almost destroy her home, she does not want the help of Colin, who is employed by the Public Works department, and is only doing his job.  Parker doesn't want or trust his help.  She feels that she must be responsible for everything.  She has trouble letting go and sharing any responsibility.
Through all the discord, they begin to see the merits of working together and begin to care for each other.
They will go through much before they can be together.
I highly recommend the purchase of this book.
Thank you Catherine Bybee, Montlake Romance and NetGalley for allowing me to read this book in exchange for my honest feedback.
I absolutely adore Catherine Bybee and try to gobble up anything she writes.

My Way to You is the first book in a new series.  Parker Sinclair hasn't had the easiest life and it takes a drastic turn when she becomes the guardian to her little brother and sister.  Her new priority is making sure her siblings are okay.   Her new situation gets worse when a wild fire almost takes out their home.

Often we hear about the wild fires but we don't hear about the aftermath and all the things that come with it, like flooding.

Colin Hudson’s job is a public works supervisor and in charge to help save the homes from the potential flooding could take out the homes near by.  Here he meets Parker Sinclair whom has the strength of a warrior and the heart to go with it.

I adored Colin and Parker together and I liked the strength of Parker and her love for her siblings and wanting to keep her family together.

This story had drama and not much suspension as her usual stories BUT there were some good hints of a suspense brewing behind the scenes Parker's friend.

Can't wait for more from this author and this series.

3.5 stars!
There is no research better than first hand experience. From the beginning, the horrendous descriptions of the damage caused by first the massive fire & then the floods & mudslides felt personal. As you find out at the end of the story, the author lived through scenes similar to these. Only a brave & strong person could do it basically on their own. Parker was just such a woman. From having to leave college to come home & raise her brother & sister to doing everything she could to rescue their property, she never gave up.

Colin was sent in to devise & execute a plan to keep the inevitable mudslides & torrential rain from washing everything that survived the fire away. It was his first time being in charge & he couldn’t believe his boss was handicapping him before he even started. Then he saw Parker. The attraction was instantaneous & overwhelming. He had to work slow to gain her trust & respect.

This was a highly emotional, well written story. The author infused the heroine with such strength & character, she’s someone I’d love to know in real life. Every time something else happened, she’d get through it one minute, one hour, one day at a time. Those that didn’t listen to her because of her age, didn’t realize she’d been forced to mature beyond her years. Her beauty & personality shows through the mud & despair. Colin had to learn that she’d had only herself to depend on for years so it would take time for her to realize she had help. This isn’t strictly a romance but it’s more than just woman’s fiction.
Extremely good book.  It was as if it was happening in reality as the main character deals with a wildfire, almost taking her home and property.  It reminded me of the fires in the West.    Parker has had enough dealing with the grief of losing her parents and taking on the task of raising her siblings.  A public works gentleman tries to help her but she throws up fences wanting to do it all herself.  Will she finally give in and realize she can't do it all alone and allow Colin into her life?   I wish to thank  NetGalley for giving me access to an ARC .  I enjoyed this book very much.
I loved this book. Parker is a very strong and determined woman. She has been through so much in her life. She was going to school and living her life when her world as she new it came crumbling down around her. She goes home to take care of her brother and sister and then disaster strikes again. Through it all she stands tall and strong trying her hardest to keep everything together. Then Colin comes into her life. He was everything she needed even if she did not realize it right away. I love how Catherine Bybee wrote this story. I love the depth in which she wrote the characters. I could not put this book down once I picked it up. I am really looking forward to the next book in this series. Thanks Net Galley.  I voluntarily reviewed this book in exchange for an honest review.
This is the first book in a new series by Catherine Bybee - and she really writes great series! I’m a big fan of her writing though this book had a different feel from the usual series, with more of the focus on the setting of the California wildfires which had a character of it’s own. I did slightly miss the ‘sizzling romance’ being the main part of the book but the story felt more realistic for this and was a more mature read.
Saying that, I still loved the book and, as usual, the characters were brilliantly written. I can’t wait for the rest of the series, especially Erin’s story.
Bybee does it again by creating a story with both heart and passion. With wildfires currently  raging in California, this book is particularly timely. Parker Sinclair takes over running the family home and raise her siblings after the death of her parents. This book is about the heroism of first responders as much as it is about the love of family and relationships.
I received an advanced reader copy to leave an honest review of this book.  I have read most of Catherine's most recent works and have been pleased with all of them.  She has a great writing style, does her research and does a great job keeping the reader enjoyed.  I've always loved the plot lines and how she mixes a real story or drama with the romance.

This book follows Parker, a 26 year old down who is the sole caretaker of her two siblings and a 5 acre property, and Colin, a county public works supervisor.  Parker's put her life on hold after her parents died to care for her two older siblings; she also has to care for the house they all live in left by their parents.  When a California wildfire wipes out all the vegetation in the canyon around her house, her land becomes the only place the county can use to try to keep the rain and mudslides from taking out her neighbors farther down the wash.  In enters Colin, a young supervisor for the county who is overseeing the job of fixing the problem caused by the wildfires.  Slowly a relationship blooms between the two even though Parker is a bit oblivious at first.  The biggest obstacle they have is Colin wants Parker to trust and rely on him right away but Parker has been on her own and controlling everything for so long she doesn't know how to do that.  Once the rain starts to fall and the real action starts, they'll have to work together to save other homes, rely on each other and figure out how to make everything work.

Overall this was a great read.  I will say that I really enjoyed the book but at times I did have a hard time picturing how the property was laid out and how the culverts, wash, basins, etc. utilized by the county to stop the mudslides all looked.  Some things got a little confusing for me with that aspect as I just couldn't picture how it all worked.  But I really enjoyed the story and how everyone dealt with the aftermath of such a huge event.

I also recommend reading the acknowledgment after the story.  It is really interesting to read how this affected the author and really puts in to perspective that even though this is a work of fiction, it mimics real life very closely.
So before I start my review I wanted to state that I live in Ventura County California and the date here is November 3, 2019. We just had two sets of Santa Anas blow in sometimes with gusts of 80 mph and right now The Maria fire is still blazing and not very far from my home.

In the last few years this area has surved the Thomas fire and the Woolsey fire, both huge California fires that were very devestating, people lost lives and homes and it was just devestating. Because of those fires we now have power outages (not mentioned in this book because its a newer thing) before the fires for sometimes 4-7 days. Its absolutely horrible and so reading this story as the fire department is putting out the Maria fire is very painful for me to read but I felt the author did an amazing job in portaying the pain and fear and misery of your home being potentially gone for ever and also if you are blessed with a home that survives the clean up required to make it liveable again.

And mudslides are a HUGE fear. I have seen homes slide down mountains and people die, this is the reality in Ventura and Santa Barbara County, so I felt absolutely fascinated with how they can help protect homes from mudslides. This book was not just awesome in that the author wrote a wonderful story but also she shared all this info I had no idea about and she also wove in an exciting romance that I loved. This is probably one of the most original stories I have ever read before. Now more about this story...

This story centers on Parker who at the prologue of the story is just 24 and in college, she has a job and a boyfriend and is loving college but has no idea what she wants to do with her life. Until she gets a call that changes her life forever.

The story then picks up 2 years later and she is now a sister/mom to her high school senior brother and 3rd year college student sister and she takes care of their estate and their lives. She is very much a loner and she is pretty much hanging around at a crappy job while waiting for her brother and sister to graduate so she can go back to school and figure out what she wants to do with her life.

And that is when the fire comes. She is one of the lucky ones, her home is still standing if a little charred and we get to watch her fight for her home and neighbors homes. She is one tough cookie and I absolutely loved her story.

After the fires comes, Colin, who works for the county and he wants to protect the neighborhood from potential mudslides and so starts Colin and Parker's romance and relationship. This was an amazing story and I absolutely loved it. The relationship between Colin and Parker was fun, sweet and romantic and they both are very strong characters who found something amazing in the other.

There are some wonderful supporting characters and I hope as this series goes on I get to see their romances as well. I absolutely loved this story so much and will be recommending to my friends.
A relevant and scary look into the California wildfires!

Parker Sinclair is forced into growing up when her parents unexpectedly die, leaving her in charge of her teenaged siblings and the family home.

She’s barely hanging on when a wildfire rips through the hills behind her house, threatening everything they own. Thankfully, the fire crews manage to get it under control, but the hillside is compromised now that the trees are gone. If a flood were to occur, it would wash away their home.

In steps public works supervisor Colin Hudson with a plan to fortify the embankment and build two buildings to house the rainwater and stop a potential mudslide- if only he weren’t so attracted to the homeowner.

Throw in a mysterious renter who jumps at every noise, and you have the setup for a page-turning story of strength, determination, and willpower.

Favorite Lines
Southern California was in its seventh year of a severe drought. The hillsides were nothing but dense vegetation, too starved for water to even scream anymore.

My Way to You- Catherine Bybee

Band-Aid on a hemorrhage. Water rushed off the mountain like anxious kids on a slip-and-slide.

My Way to You- Catherine Bybee

This story was written as a way for the author to show her appreciation for all the people who protect, serve, and care for those in the way of these destructive acts of nature.

I give My Way to You 5 lovely kisses- an eye-opening read!
Loved this book. Great characters, easy read, uplifting, funny, romantic and charming. A really nice story that is the perfect escapist read.
This book was more than just a love story  - it was a reminder of what people go through in their lives and how they come out stronger. I felt I experienced just a bit of what those in California go through during wildfires. Her first book in the Canyon Creek series centers on Parker Sinclair and Colin Hudson. Parker’s life was turned upside down yet I admired her working day and night to keep her family together and save her home, putting me in her corner, cheering her on as she showed the strongest courage each day.
Colin seemingly rode in on his “white horse” to help Parker but it was a while before she could trust him. That he stayed with her throughout the fires, commitment was there. As a read each page, I knew Parker would see him as he was, her knight in shining armor.
Catherine Bybee has a way of introducing us to her characters and we become, through her writing, friends.
When you base stories on real life circumstances it's hard to turn a blind eye even with fictional characters at the helm.
This is superb with heart pounding action throughout every facet of this amazing work.
Parker is our main character who rides the wave of stress all the way till the end with plenty to keep her busy. Having lost her parents, taking over the parental responsibilities of siblings, and tending to the families property can be truly backbreaking work.
Needless to say she needs immediate intervention in many ways but romance wasn't on the radar.
At least not till Colin our public works supervisor arrived as a savior of Parker's property from not only the wildfire but impending mud slides that threaten normal living conditions.
I love the ending in which she's a hot mess but also the realization that,"sometimes it takes destruction to create something new."
Wow!!
Go out and get a copy of this must read by Catherine Bybee the first of the Creek Canyon series.
Thank you to Catherine, the publisher, NetGalley,& Amazon Kindle for this ARC in exchange for this honest review.