Cover Image: Mr. Nobody

Mr. Nobody

Unfortunately, this really dragged. I liked Steadman's "Something in the Water", which I thought was quite entertaining, but this one had fairly bland characters and a plot tat felt too drawn out and not terribly original. I have to say, though, I am generally not a fan of amnesia premises, so that might have been a clue to that I might not like this from the start. Oh, well, on to the next one!
Well done! I had to finish this one the day I started it! I appreciate the advanced copy, NetGalley. Thank you! Catherine Steadman is a reliable writer - her books have yet to be set aside unfinished by me.
I love Cat Steadmans writing style and this novel was absolutely fascinating! I was consistently shocked by what was happening! This was so well written and a fun page turning read
This is the second book I've read by Catherine Steadman working backwards from "Disappearing Act" - the premise intrigued me but I didn't enjoy it as much.  There are many story lines being told at the same time - the man who appears on a beach with no memory, the neuropsychiatrist who is asked to evaluate, her backstory the takes quite a while to unravel and the interpersonal relationships of too many characters.
3 stars. Won't bump those up to 3 1/2. A very average read for a mystery/thriller. I think the author did too much explaining for my liking. I was expecting the thrill ride of Something in the Water, which we definitely do not get here. A sophomoric effort, for sure. Steadman is a good writer. I felt like she should have taken more time with this one, to ensure the ending and the twists work. It just seemed that she didn't want to put the work in to get the dramatic ending, so she just explained it to us, instead of letting us experience it as readers.

I received an ARC of this book from Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

I thought I’d enjoy this mystery thriller more than I actually did.  The setting was good, but it was slow and I had to work to finish it.
I was a huge fan of Catherine Steadman's first novel, which was a Reese Witherspoon pick. Sadly, this book fell incredibly flat for me.. I felt it did not compare to her previous book or other books in this genre. The twists were very anti-climatic and the pacing incredibly slow. However, while this one was a fail for me I do look forward to future books this author pens.
Thanks to NetGalley and Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine Books for the e-arc in exchange for an honest review.

This is a book about a man who is found on a beach and he has no recollection of anything--how, why, where and who he is. A doctor takes on this mysterious case and soon discovers they are possibly linked in some type of way.

I thought the mystery behind the Mr. Nobody character and the backstory of the doctor were really interesting. With it being a thriller and mystery, the whole time you are trying to figure out what was happening but mostly because it was confusing for me. There were quite a few twists that I kind of saw coming but they were still entertaining. The thrilling parts were really exciting but the storyline as a whole was a little disappointing for me.

Overall, I feel this would be great for people starting out in the thriller/mystery genres.

3/5
The concept of this book drew me in. Injured man is found wandering on an abandoned beach. He has zero memory, not even knowing his name or where he came from.  The local hospital calls in well known neuropsychiatrist Emma to help assess his case.
While in the hospital, the stranger, now called "Matthew" by hospital staff, brings light to the hospital as he commits random acts of kindness and compassion. The book starts off incredibly strong, building great character development and definitely making the characters likeable. However, after the initial plot is set, the book starts to fizzle and the ending is way less than satisfying.
I had a hard time getting into this book, but am glad that i stuck through it.  Wasn't exactly sure where it was heading, and couldn't predict exactly what was going to happen, which is usually the sign og a good thriller for me.  Definitely worth the read, and added onto my list of suggestions.
I liked this book but it wasn't anything new or super fantastic to me! One of the "twists" didn't make a lot of sense to me, and the others were good but not anything new. But I was mostly entertained!
- [ ] This book is great! Would definitely recommend. Thanks so much to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC.
Who is Mr. Nobody and who exactly is Dr. Emma Lewis?  Mr. Nobody was found on a beach and doesn't seem to know who he is or what happened.   Does he have amnesia or is he lying?   How do Mr. Nobody and Dr. Lewis know each other?   So many questions.   Dr. Emma Lewis had one night that changed her entire life and now she has to face her past.   This story is written from Emma's POV and Mr. Nobody, AKA Matthew.  However, Mr. Nobody's POV is in third person.   Dr. Lewis decides she is going to go back to her past and see if she can help Mr. Nobody, which would help her career.    She even has to sign a non-disclaimer waiver agreement.  Mr. Nobody seems to know Dr. Lewis or at least knows things from her past.   The doctor/patient relationship is pretty dull and very uninteresting.   There are several side stories throughout that are very intriguing and keep me entertained.  Everyone has problems and everyone has a past.   The story has an unhurried sense and does not have many plot twists or unexpected surprises.   I didn't dislike the story, I enjoyed the first half better than the second half.    I enjoyed Something in the Water by Catherine Steadman more but they seem to be written a little different.

Thank you NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.
DNF. Thank you NetGalley and Publisher for this early copy! I decided to not keep reading this one, it was not for me. Thanks!
Mr Nobody
By: Catherine Steadman
Available Now
⭐️⭐️⭐️

I really wanted to like this book. I gave it a few fair shots. I picked it up and put it back down again several times. I even waited til publication date to get it in audiobook format, hoping that would do the trick.

It didn’t.

Still ⭐️⭐️⭐️ from me. I will look for her next release. Hopefully, I’ll have better luck next time.

Thank you #netgally for a complimentary copy of this ebook in exchange for my honest review.
A man is found on the beach in Norfolk, England, his clothes damp, shivering and with a head wound. He becomes a news sensation when he is taken to the hospital but he can’t speak and he doesn’t remember his name. A dedicated nurse rather than calling him Mr. Nobody names him Matthew until he can recover his memory.

After the hospital is stumped with his case they bring in medical expert, Emma Lewis, who has worked on cases of amnesia and fugue states. How she is assigned the case seems a bit too good to be true but she can’t lose this opportunity even if it does mean she’s going back to a place she’s been gone from for a long time.

Emma has some serious reservations when she meets Matthew because even if the staff thinks he has amnesia he reveals something to her that only she knows. Chris Poole, a police officer and former friend of Emma, is also on the scene to help Emma and find out more about Matthew.

This started of as a great thriller with so many questions about Matthew and Emma. They both had secrets and the author takes her time unraveling the story. I also really enjoyed some of the minor characters in particular the nurse who helps Matthew. The ending was a bit of a letdown as I felt like it was unnecessarily convoluted but overall I really enjoyed this psychological thriller.
A man is found wandering on the beach, with no identification, and seemingly unable to speak.  Neuropsychiatrist  Dr. Emma Lewis is called to the hospital to evaluate this man. Everyone wants to know who is this man?  what happened to him?

Emma knows this can put her name on the international map, but she left this same town fourteen years ago and has taken great pains to cover all traces of her past since then.

The more time she spends with her patient, the more alarmed she becomes that he knows the one thing about her that nobody is supposed to know.

The first part of the book is quite interesting in that it explores fugue states.  The intricate plot is well paced, characters are deftly drawn.  Somewhere around the middle of the book, the pacing slows down although there are a few twists and turns here and there.  The ending was less than satisfactory, it felt rushed.  This is a new author to me, so not sure if this one is an anomaly.

Many thanks to the author / Random House - Ballantine / Netgalley for the digital copy of this psychological fiction.  Read and reviewed voluntarily, opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.
Suspenseful, twisty, I did not see the ending coming! I highly recommend this fun thriller.

Thank you to Random House for a free digital galley via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Mr. Nobody is a refreshing take on the amnesiac-suffering character we find a lot in this genre. The science feels well-researched, and Steadman slyly pokes fun at some of the ridiculous tropes that have been done before. A few more loose ends than I normally enjoy, but I think the author remained true to the characters and the story she wanted to tell.
Thank you NetGalley and Random House for a complimentary copy. I voluntarily reviewed this book.  All opinions expressed are my own.

Mr. Nobody
By: Catherine Steadman

REVIEW ☆☆☆☆
I tried to imagine a scenario like the premise of Mr. Nobody, but it just freaked me out. Some guy washes up on a beach with no recollections about his name, life, home, family-nothing. Yet, the doctor treating him, Emma, has some secrets in her past, and this guy knows. He amazingly knows things that he couldn't possibly know, yet the truth is undeniable. So, yeah, I found it creepy but totally compelling. I wanted answers immediately! I enjoyed this story for its unique premise and absorbing ability to just pull me in. I recommend this book!