Cover Image: Building a Life Worth Living

Building a Life Worth Living

After studying Marsha Linehan in school, it was totally surprising to find out that someone as successful and respected as Dr. Linehan had been institutionalized for borderline personality disorder. This is that story, and it details how Marsha overcame a cold mental health system without a lot of helpful treatment options to create her own treatment, Dialectical Behavior Therapy, which is now widely used in psychology. However, I think this memoir lacks wide-ranging appeal.
When I downloaded this book, I was vaguely familiar with Linehan. As a Psychology major, research nerd, and book lover, I was curious and I actually own a DBT workbook that I have been working through, slowly, for my own anxiety/depression issues. What I found in this book instead, when I expected it to focus more singularly on DBT was so so much more and I love it. It is such a great book. Marsha writes in a way that makes you feel like you're reading her journals or having a conversation with her but at the same time having an eye opening discussion with a therapist not in a clinical setting. I really enjoyed this book.
This was a good memoir about Marsha and how she created DBT therapy. It helped me learn more about DBT overall as well as how the author used her own experiences to create it and help a lot of people. I would reccomend this book to anyone who is considering DBT therapy or just beginning it.

I would like to thank Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy free of charge. This is my honest and unbiased opinion of it.
Building a Life Worth Living is a interesting and informative book.  DBT therapy is a great therapy that has helped thousands of people. This is a well written book and it would to give those interested in DBT.
I think then I requested this one I didn’t expect it to be so logical? Or insightful? It wasn’t what I was expecting but it was still pretty good!
I really enjoyed learning a bit more about Dr. Linehan's life and the development of DBT-- I learned information that I had not known before. Personally, I would have liked more memoir-type information since I know a good bit about DBT. However, I think this would be a great precursor to those going through or about to lead DBT.
As a teen, Marsha Linehan experienced suicidal ideation and was sent to an institution for the mentally unwell. Toward the end of her time there, she made a vow to God that once she got herself out of hell, she would do everything she could to get others out, too. DBT (dialectical behavior therapy), is what Marsha created as her best effort to keep her vow and help patients with suicidal behavior. She is so intelligent and dedicated to helping others! I thought this book has such a powerful viewpoint. It was very interesting to read of a therapist who has suffered from the same challenges that her patients are experiencing. This book is great for fans of psychology or memoir.
If you don’t know about Dialectical Behavior Therapy, learn about it right now. This is a brilliant form of therapy that can help everyone. Its a way of reframing your thoughts in order to make better, wiser choices and to process things that make us uncomfortable. I have been through it and want to learn more and feel that it is invaluable to every person, especially those prone to depression and anxiety.

When I saw this book, Building a Life Worth Living by Marsha M. Linehan, I knew I needed to read it. This is the story of how Marsha came up with this form of therapy. She was a young woman who suicidal thoughts and severe depression who spent a long time “locked up” in a psychiatric hospital. She vowed to help others in some way when she got out and she dedicated her life to studying and learning about psychology, eventually developing what became DBT.

“Over the years, DBT had saved the lives of countless people fighting depression and suicidal thoughts, but Linehan had never revealed that her pioneering work was inspired by her own desperate struggles as a young woman. Only when she received this question did she finally decide to tell her story.

In this remarkable and inspiring memoir, Linehan describes how, when she was eighteen years old, she began an abrupt downward spiral from popular teenager to suicidal young woman. After several miserable years in a psychiatric institute, Linehan made a vow that if she could get out of emotional hell, she would try to find a way to help others get out of hell too, and to build a life worth living.  She went on to put herself through night school and college, living at the YWCA and often scraping together spare change to buy food. She went on to get her PhD in psychology, specializing in behavior therapy. In the 1980s, she achieved a breakthrough when she developed Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, a therapeutic approach that combines acceptance of the self and ways to change. Linehan included mindfulness as a key component in therapy treatment, along with original and specific life-skill techniques. She says, “You can’t think yourself into new ways of acting; you can only act yourself into new ways of thinking.”

Throughout her extraordinary scientific career, Marsha Linehan remained a woman of deep spirituality. Her powerful and moving story is one of faith and perseverance. Linehan shows, in Building a Life Worth Living, how the principles of DBT really work—and how, using her life skills and techniques, people can build lives worth living.”

Due out January 7, order it here!