The Thorn Girl

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Oct 2019

This was such a unbelievably gripping read! I haven't read any of Laura Elliot's work before and I am so happy I have discovered a superbly talented author! I loved everything about this book its emotional, gripping, shocking and enveloped in mystery and intrigue. It was so difficult to stop reading and is a real page turner.

Adele is a fantastic character, she is hell bent on finding out what happened to her mother. The circumstances surrounding her mothers brutal attack are shocking and Adele is adamant that it should not go unpunished. She has put her own life on pause in order to concentrate on her mission. She is not well received by the local people and uncovers some very nasty secrets about some of them.

She finds information and help from some unlikely places. Each time she finds out something new it reignites her desire to solve the mystery around her birth and the last time her mother was seen alive.

Laura Elliot has written a book that I would highly recommend, its one that will remain with me for a long time, thanks to her style of writing that drew me right in and had me so invested and rooting for Adele to find out the truth. I will be going back and reading her other books (as soon as I can with my ever growing TBR list!)
Laura Elliot has woven a tightly braided story. The strands of the braid are so tightly woven that it seems as if the truth will never come to light. The unraveling starts with a swallow fluttering its wings in an attic and the constant question remains “How long is a piece of string?” Sound cryptic? The unraveling and question continue throughout the story strand by strand until the braid starts to come undone and then is redone, tightened, only to become tangled and very messy.

The tension never lifts, each section brings another gasp of rage, fear and torment. Powerful, emotional writing with characters perfectly drawn, situations so clearly described that you feel the raw emotion being described. Many important topics are found and explored in this book and the author doesn’t make excuses or shy away from exposing the devastating consequences of bullying, shaming, cultism and those with power who prey on the weak. This is all incorporated smoothly within the storyline allowing the reader to sift through the emotions that are provoked.

This book captured my undivided attention and I finished it in a day. Thank you NetGalley and Bookouture for an advance copy.
This was my first time delving into a book by author Laura Elliot and it won't be my last.
A very moving story unfolded through a mother's diary.
We find out very early on about a traumatic incident this mother went through in her life.
We meet Adele, her daughter who finds her mum's diary in the attic and her story unfolds through its pages...
It leads Adele on a journey back to her mum's home town, a place called Reedstown.
Can she discover the evil people who inflicted such pain on her mother?
Soon Adele is met with opposition though...
Someone does not want her to find out what happened all those years ago....
But one woman's fight for justice for her mother will see her try to overcome the resistance she meets from this town, the secrets they wish to keep and in the process help her figure out her own life journey...
A beautiful, heartbreaking and poignant novel that will have you turning the pages with such sadness....
Well done Laura, a beautiful read....💕
Laura Elliot is a brilliant writer. Her words broke my control, wrenched my emotions, brought it to surface, and blazed it down the path of my being. I read the book with my heart in my throat, anger choking me completely.

A daughter seeking justice for the attack on her mom 25 years ago and unmasking and bringing the perpetrators to justice. A Herculean task, I agreed. But Adele had to do it for her mother's name and wiping the dirt off it. A diary found in the attic showed the truth of what Marianne had gone through and how Adele's birth had come to be. It was all in her mother's name!!

The main character Adele was brilliant. I loved how she pieced one clue at a time and used her quiet demeanor in getting what she wanted. I supported her, cheered for her, prodded her on as she went about the investigation. She was sure and determined. Perils flogged her footsteps, but she carried on. She moved ahead with the investigation, all in her mother's name!!

The plot had various twists, everything seemed blurred. I liked how the author showed how the human nature was. People hated seeing their images in the mirror, truth was deliberately kept hidden. Each chapter made me take shallower breaths, as they showed me the mother's story. Adele went through it all in her mother's name!!

The small town which hid its secrets was well described. The aura was so dark and atmospheric that it had me immersed in the story. Adele was the beacon of light in such a town, all in her mother's name.

A sensitive captivating read filled with darkness and religious belief amongst the rich, showing the plight of an innocent woman who was given justice by her daughter who did everything, all in her mother's name.
This book is one of my favorites of the year. I finished it in two days. I could not put this book down. This book has so many twists and turns. This book starts with Adele cleaning out Her grand mothers attic after he passing. While cleaning up she finds a backpack with a diary. This diary belonged to Marianne her mother who died during childbirth. She starts to read her mothers diary and finds out her mom was gang rapped which lead to her pregnancy with Adele. Adele starts her mission to find out who her father is and to bring justice to her mother.

This book keeps you guessing and keeps you so hooked on the story.
I now want to read all of Laura Elliots books.
In My Mother's Name made me think I was immersed in a podcast, it just kept unfolding and getting curiouser and curiouser. I have to admit Laura Elliot kept me reading well into the night.  There are sensitive topics explored, secrets and lies uncovered and difficult subjects addressed. This novel is not for the faint hearted. The twists and turns are plentiful and the pacing fast.  I appreciate the complexity of the character profiles and that the secondary characters, even the town, were detailed and layered. I would definitely read more form Laura Elliot.
3.5
I received my copy through NetGalley under no obligation.
I absolutely loved this book. It was fast paced, unusual, emotional and full of historical intrigue which I loved. This combination of genres was really unique and kept me hooked throughout.

Adele was such a great character. She was determined, passionate, and full of love. I really liked her connection with her mother, despite never having met her. I thought that the brief flashbacks with Marianne, via her diary, really worked as they helped to connect both Adele and the reader with Marianne.

The plot was easy to follow and yet full of action. There was both the present and the past to understand, but the writing is so clear that it kept me hooked the whole time. It started off with a brilliantly sudden and shocking beginning and to be honest, it ended the same way.

I would definitely recommend this for someone who wants a book with great characters, a story full of intrigue and a blend of some of the best genres.
A brilliantly written; emotional journey of a woman trying to find out the truth about her mother.

"A swallow in an attic, a strand of hair tangled in an engagement ring, a smoking chimney: all insignificant in their own right until fate arranged them like dominoes and allowed them to fall."

Adele Foyle never knew her mother and was brought up by her grandmother. After her grandmother's death she cleans out her house and attic and here she discovers a diary that belonged to her mother. Her life falls apart when she starts reading it and discovers that her mother was gang raped by three men and one of them is her father. Who were the three blind mice? Determined to find out more she desides to return to the town her mother grew up in and look into the circumstances of her rape and death. And to find her father. What happened at the House of Atonement her mother was send to and why can't she find anything about her mother and grandmother in the archives. She is determined to find out the truth but there are people even more determined to stop her in her tracks.

About three quarters through the book I was a bit worried that all has been revealed but then the author throws a curveball that you dont see coming!

A very entertaining read and I will definitely try more books from this author.

Thank you to #netgalley and #bookouture for the ARC in exchange for my honest opinion.
I adore this author's books and this one was no exception. In fact, the sharp writing, the believable characters, the tense, pacy tale which also packed an emotional punch make this in my opinion her best book so far, and that's saying something as all of her books so far have raised the bar. This book made me think and question, ponder the motives and the actions of the characters. This is a story that will stay with me for a very long time. A masterpiece of astute plotting and carefully timed revelations, mixing suspense and emotion seamlessly and to great effect.  A book for everyone. Just brilliant.
This is a very moving book where the secrets about a disgusting event that took place more than 20 years ago, will finally be unraveled and universe settles the score.

Money makes the world go round and it's often not what but who you know that matters. But is it enough to keep everything hidden ...?

Sometimes you have to tell a lie in order to protect yourself. Sometimes you have to do it to protect someone else. But when you lie to protect yourself and put the blame on someone else, there it's where it starts to go wrong and you will have to live with it for the rest of your life. You might feel safe but you never know how things will turn out.

The manipulator might be manipulated as well.

A brilliant and captivating story. 5 stars

Thank you, Laura Elliot and Bookouture (via Netgalley)
"A swallow in an attic. A butterfly in a jungle. Random events. Heartbreaking decisions."

Adele Foyle, a 24-year-old documentary writer for Voice Dox, returns to Crannock to bury her grandmother. While there, cleaning out the house they shared once upon a time, Adele finds a backpack containing a diary written by her mother -- a 15-year-old who died when Adele was born. Her grandmother, Noreen, had always refused to tell Adele anything about her mother's pregnancy or the circumstances surrounding her birth, so Adele eagerly devours the diary. What she discovers is shocking and heartbreaking. Her mother, Marianne, had been sent to a home for others like her in Reedstown to wait out her confinement and it was run like a religious cult and known as the Sodality of Thorns and Atonement. When Marianne dies, Adele and Noreen leave Reedstown and hide away in Crannock where they lived until Adele moved to London for work, met and became engaged to Daniel. Because the information in the diary is so inflammatory, Adele feels compelled to go to Reedstown and discover if it contains the truth and to obtain justice for her long-dead mother. NO SPOILERS.

Well, the twists and turns just kept on coming so once I started this I could not put it down so read in one sitting. And what a beautiful but sad story it was. The events that ruined Marianne were tough to read and those responsible definitely needed just punishment. I liked the way the author told the story from different points of view and how the diary entries were shared. It never ceases to amaze me what some won't do to cover up their dirty little secrets, lies and crimes. I really liked the characters of Adele and Rachel, a Garda in Reedstown. Some of the others were also well-drawn and their reactions to the release of Marianne's diary were described in great detail. I can't honestly quite figure exactly what niche or sub-genre this book fits into but it does have themes of violent rape, imprisonment, mistreatment and psychological manipulation. I really enjoyed it and I think you will too.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for this e-book ARC to read and review.
I am not usually one to agree with taglines or blurbs because they often feel over-the-top, but this is one case where I can wholeheartedly say that it is 100% accurate. This book was an addictive, emotional, page-turner of a psychological thriller (that’s a mouthful). The characters are real and well-developed, and the author does a superb job of bringing the village of Reedstown with all of its blemishes, secrets, and tainted history to life. Adele is a protagonist who is easy to support as she journeys into the past to find the truth about her mother’s life and death. In My Mother’s Name is one book you do not want to skip over. For a full review, please visit my blog at Fireflies and Free Kicks Fiction Reviews. Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for the opportunity to read a complimentary pre-release, digital ARC of this book.
Laura Elliot’s book “In My Mother’s Name” is shocking, creepy, & impossible to put down. The plot involves a young woman looking for answers about her mom, who died during childbirth. The answers she finds are disturbing and haunting. If you like psychological thrillers, read this! If you like family dramas, read this! If you want to be completely creeped out, read this!! This book deserves to be in all the top charts!
A deliciously intense and emotional thriller that you won't soon forget !  A shocking conclusion !! I highly recommend this book by a gifted storyteller !I Thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for the opportunity to read and review this book ! #Netgalley #Bookouture
#InMyMother’sName
This book was at once engaging, sad, happy, dramatic and thrilling.  The writing is very good, the plot intense.  I very much enjoyed this book and the ending was satisfying.
When Adele Foyle is roving about in her grandmother's attic, she finds a secret diary of her mother - someone she never met. Sadly, her mother died giving birth to her. What she is about to discover will be more than she could ever believe. Almost more than she will be able to handle.

She begins to discover secrets hidden for over twenty-five years. Adele starts looking for answers. In so doing, she goes back to the last place her mother lived, Reedstown. The circumstances of Adele's conception are devastating and she is determined not only to find out more about that, but to bring certain people to justice, even all of these years later.

Adele was born in an unusual environment. It was a home for unwed mothers run but a strange religious group called The Thorns. So that is where Adele begins her search. She soon learns that no one wants questions asked. No one has answers to offer. As a matter of fact, the deeper Adele goes in her search, the worst things get for her.

In My Mother's Name was a disturbing and fast-moving story. Adele is a strong woman, and I so felt for her mother and what she suffered. To imagine Adele's discoveries was very difficult. However, Laura Elliott is a gifted storyteller who managed to craft a sensitive story that held a lot of suspense.

Many thanks to Bookouture and to NetGalley for this ARC for review. This is my honest opinion.
First, I want to thank Laura Elliot, Bookouture and NetGalley for providing me with this book so I may bring you this review.

Laura Elliot definitely brings you a totally addictive and emotional psychological thriller in her latest book In My Mother’s Name. Laura Elliott has to be commended for her incredibly, powerful, mind-blowing storytelling in this book! Her storyline was so incredibly intense and very suspenseful. Not to mention some of the subject matter was shocking that you couldn’t help but feel empathetic for the characters. This is one book that will stick with you for a long time after. Not to mention this must be made into a Netflix Original! It would do amazingly well!

I absolutely loved this book for so many reasons. However, this book does bring up topics that may trigger some past bad experiences in readers. Therefore, this book may not be for everyone. This book brings up the topic of rape and gang rape, a cult, bullying, etc.

I fell instantly in love with this beautiful cover even before I knew what this book was about. I love Butterflies as they have a sentimental meaning to me. So, when I saw it and how it was placed on the cover, I just knew I needed to know more. Kudos to the graphic designer for catching my eye.

If you love psychological thrillers like I do then you are in for a treat!! Laura threw everything in this book!! Tons of deep secrets from the past, lies that have been told, incredibly interesting investigation that blew me away, some characters you will love to hate, and an ending you won’t see coming!

My heart ached for Adele for all she wanted was to get answers on her Mom Marianne. So many hateful roadblocks along the way to get the answers she so desperately wanted.

One thing I loved about the book Laura wrote in Marianne’s Diaries into the book. We as readers were able along with her daughter Laura learn more about her. It gave us a more personal feel of what she was going through rather than the terrible things that were being said about her.

This book is dedicated to Sean the love of Laura’s life. She wants to thank him for all the golden years.
I enjoyed this book. It was very well written and well thought out. The ending was fantastic. We follow Adele from the death of her Grandmother through finding her mothers diary and all the way back to the place she was born. Her whole life nothing is as she was told, now she has the chance to delve into her past but the things she finds can change her life forever, or cost her her life.
Suspenseful from start to finish, i recommend this book.
The only reason it lost a star from me is i found there were to many many characters and their roles were not always necessary, it was a lot to follow and it took away from the story a little bit.
The premise of this book is promising and it deals with a sensitive and sad issues.

It deals with Adele's journey to know how her mother died all those years ago.
Her grandmother refuses to talk, and after her death Adele  discovers her mother's diary.
What she found there was so heartbreaking and she sets on a dangerous journey seeking justice for her mother.

I mentioned earlier in my review that the premise was promising, however the execution lacked in my opinion. Although I see that fellow reviewers liked it, so it's a matter of personal taste.
There were many side characters and it was hard to keep track of who is who, also the pace seemed too slow for my taste. Also unfortunately I wasn't really surprised by the ending.
However, I really applaud the author for gracefully tackling a rather sensitive subject matter.

Thanks Netgalley, the publisher and author for an ARC in exchange for an honest opinion.
This book focussed on Adele and her journey to discover the truth surrounding her birth. It takes on a sensitive subject matter, which I applaud the author for being brave enough to do. Due to this it was uncomfortable reading at certain points during the book.
I did like the character of Adele and her determination to get to the truth regarding past events.
Unfortunately though, I was left feeling underwhelmed by this book. The premise of the story was set up well, but I really felt whole thing lacked any pace and could have ended about 50 pages earlier than it did. There were a lot of characters to keep track of which became confused at times. There was no big twist that I didn’t see coming.
Sadly, this one is not for me, but thank you to @netgallery and @bookouture for this advanced copy to review