Cover Image: The Thorn Girl

The Thorn Girl

Laura Elliot writes a hugely engrossing and entertaining novel that deals with some serious issues in this gripping thriller full of hidden truths, menace, deceit, suspense and lies.

Before joining her fiancé for a new life abroad, Adele Foyle has one thing she needs to do-find those who carried out a devastating attack on her mother, Marianne. Born into a Mother and Baby home run by Gloria Thornton, Adele returns to Reedstown, the last place her mother, Marianne, was seen alive.

Adele needs to first unlock the disturbing chain of events that led to her own birth if she is to understand what happened to her mother. As the news of Adele’s arrival spreads rapidly among the small close-knit community, old memories are stirring up fresh wounds. While Adele searches for the truth, she discovers more and more questions and secrets than anyone wishes to be answered or revealed. But will proving the truth put her own life in terrible danger?

Laura Elliot delivers an unrestrained and exuberant story of drama in this toxic concoction of secrets, lies and deception. Everything eventually crash-lands around Adele as she unravels the heinous events that have gripped a whole community.

The Thorn Girl is a taut, compelling and cracking story and a book that I revelled in all the way through. It brought no disappointments and everything was beautifully wrapped up in the fabulous and immensely satisfying finale. A riveting tale of menace, hostility, mistreatment, psychological manipulation and the burden of truth, I would love to read more from this gifted story-teller and I am delighted to recommend this book.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel from Bookouture via NetGalley at my request. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
This is an absolutely fantastic book. I truly enjoyed how this web of lies untangles itself to see the truth. This was a quick read only because you don’t want to put it down.

Adele raised by her grandmother is cleaning out the attic of her house after she died.  She discovers a diary from her mother who died when she was born. The diary gives her insight into Mariannes thoughts around the time Adele was born.  Adele upon reading her mother was gang raped, decides to use her journalistic gifts to investigate what happen in the small town.

Will Adele we about to unravel the mystery of her moms assault ? What will she find in this small town? Do the 3 men who did this to her mom still there?

I was given a complimentary copy. Thank you Netgalley. The thoughts and opinions are my own.
Goodness, this is one of the best books I’ve read this year!I didn’t realise when I started to read this book just how clever the plot would be, and just how spellbinding it would be. This is more than a psychological thriller, it’s a complex and gripping story, where lies and long buried secrets emerge, and it makes for compulsive reading.

The setting of North County Dublin was perfect. I’m from that area, and there are many formerly small villages, that have now grown into suburban towns. It was easy to imagine a place like Reedstown.

The idea of the mother and baby home was an interesting twist. We’ve had such harrowing stories emerge from the Magdalene Laundries, but this is a little different, run by an alternative religion, more of a cult.

The characters are so well drawn. Not all are likeable, though I really liked Adele and Rachel, but all are so real.I really enjoyed this novel, it’s full of twists and turns, and there is a gritty element to it, but it’s beautifully told. Highly recommended.
The Thorn Girl is a riveting story about one daughter’s search for the truth. You follow Adele as she struggles to unearth the truth about what happened to her mother. The road is paved with secrets and lies. When she gets too close to the truth, her life is in danger. Someone wants the truth to stay hidden at all costs.

This book truly had me engaged! It is filled with suspense, sorrow, and thrilling twists. There are some dark elements to this book. Some scenes even gave me the chills. Loved it! I couldn’t put it down. I needed to know what would happen next! These characters are very well written. They all had their personalities, whether good or bad that tied the story together nicely. This is the first book I’ve read from this author and it won’t be the last! A truly captivating read! I give this 5 stars.
Chilling! Disturbing! Suspenseful Masterpiece!
"No one believed her. Until now!"
What a way to start one's day but In My Mother's Name aka The Thorn Girl was quite the ride.
We have the main characters Adele and her Marianne whom she never met.
As the story progresses at the perfect pace we uncover truths long since buried.
Perhaps her mother was telling the truth?
Perhaps there's much more to this story that never came out 25 yrs ago.
Seeking answers and bringing justice is all that Adele seeks!
Never has injustices swayed her anger such as this and she cannot let the culprit(s) get away.
Her mom may have died a horrible death but she's here to show that the truth shall set you free.
Spread those wings and fly!
A beautiful story and a gripping read. I recommend this book from an excellent author. Read it now, and enjoy
This was such a unbelievably gripping read! I haven't read any of Laura Elliot's work before and I am so happy I have discovered a superbly talented author! I loved everything about this book its emotional, gripping, shocking and enveloped in mystery and intrigue. It was so difficult to stop reading and is a real page turner.

Adele is a fantastic character, she is hell bent on finding out what happened to her mother. The circumstances surrounding her mothers brutal attack are shocking and Adele is adamant that it should not go unpunished. She has put her own life on pause in order to concentrate on her mission. She is not well received by the local people and uncovers some very nasty secrets about some of them.

She finds information and help from some unlikely places. Each time she finds out something new it reignites her desire to solve the mystery around her birth and the last time her mother was seen alive.

Laura Elliot has written a book that I would highly recommend, its one that will remain with me for a long time, thanks to her style of writing that drew me right in and had me so invested and rooting for Adele to find out the truth. I will be going back and reading her other books (as soon as I can with my ever growing TBR list!)
Laura Elliot has woven a tightly braided story. The strands of the braid are so tightly woven that it seems as if the truth will never come to light. The unraveling starts with a swallow fluttering its wings in an attic and the constant question remains “How long is a piece of string?” Sound cryptic? The unraveling and question continue throughout the story strand by strand until the braid starts to come undone and then is redone, tightened, only to become tangled and very messy.

The tension never lifts, each section brings another gasp of rage, fear and torment. Powerful, emotional writing with characters perfectly drawn, situations so clearly described that you feel the raw emotion being described. Many important topics are found and explored in this book and the author doesn’t make excuses or shy away from exposing the devastating consequences of bullying, shaming, cultism and those with power who prey on the weak. This is all incorporated smoothly within the storyline allowing the reader to sift through the emotions that are provoked.

This book captured my undivided attention and I finished it in a day. Thank you NetGalley and Bookouture for an advance copy.
This was my first time delving into a book by author Laura Elliot and it won't be my last.
A very moving story unfolded through a mother's diary.
We find out very early on about a traumatic incident this mother went through in her life.
We meet Adele, her daughter who finds her mum's diary in the attic and her story unfolds through its pages...
It leads Adele on a journey back to her mum's home town, a place called Reedstown.
Can she discover the evil people who inflicted such pain on her mother?
Soon Adele is met with opposition though...
Someone does not want her to find out what happened all those years ago....
But one woman's fight for justice for her mother will see her try to overcome the resistance she meets from this town, the secrets they wish to keep and in the process help her figure out her own life journey...
A beautiful, heartbreaking and poignant novel that will have you turning the pages with such sadness....
Well done Laura, a beautiful read....💕
Laura Elliot is a brilliant writer. Her words broke my control, wrenched my emotions, brought it to surface, and blazed it down the path of my being. I read the book with my heart in my throat, anger choking me completely.

A daughter seeking justice for the attack on her mom 25 years ago and unmasking and bringing the perpetrators to justice. A Herculean task, I agreed. But Adele had to do it for her mother's name and wiping the dirt off it. A diary found in the attic showed the truth of what Marianne had gone through and how Adele's birth had come to be. It was all in her mother's name!!

The main character Adele was brilliant. I loved how she pieced one clue at a time and used her quiet demeanor in getting what she wanted. I supported her, cheered for her, prodded her on as she went about the investigation. She was sure and determined. Perils flogged her footsteps, but she carried on. She moved ahead with the investigation, all in her mother's name!!

The plot had various twists, everything seemed blurred. I liked how the author showed how the human nature was. People hated seeing their images in the mirror, truth was deliberately kept hidden. Each chapter made me take shallower breaths, as they showed me the mother's story. Adele went through it all in her mother's name!!

The small town which hid its secrets was well described. The aura was so dark and atmospheric that it had me immersed in the story. Adele was the beacon of light in such a town, all in her mother's name.

A sensitive captivating read filled with darkness and religious belief amongst the rich, showing the plight of an innocent woman who was given justice by her daughter who did everything, all in her mother's name.
This book is one of my favorites of the year. I finished it in two days. I could not put this book down. This book has so many twists and turns. This book starts with Adele cleaning out Her grand mothers attic after he passing. While cleaning up she finds a backpack with a diary. This diary belonged to Marianne her mother who died during childbirth. She starts to read her mothers diary and finds out her mom was gang rapped which lead to her pregnancy with Adele. Adele starts her mission to find out who her father is and to bring justice to her mother.

This book keeps you guessing and keeps you so hooked on the story.
I now want to read all of Laura Elliots books.
In My Mother's Name made me think I was immersed in a podcast, it just kept unfolding and getting curiouser and curiouser. I have to admit Laura Elliot kept me reading well into the night.  There are sensitive topics explored, secrets and lies uncovered and difficult subjects addressed. This novel is not for the faint hearted. The twists and turns are plentiful and the pacing fast.  I appreciate the complexity of the character profiles and that the secondary characters, even the town, were detailed and layered. I would definitely read more form Laura Elliot.
3.5
I received my copy through NetGalley under no obligation.
I absolutely loved this book. It was fast paced, unusual, emotional and full of historical intrigue which I loved. This combination of genres was really unique and kept me hooked throughout.

Adele was such a great character. She was determined, passionate, and full of love. I really liked her connection with her mother, despite never having met her. I thought that the brief flashbacks with Marianne, via her diary, really worked as they helped to connect both Adele and the reader with Marianne.

The plot was easy to follow and yet full of action. There was both the present and the past to understand, but the writing is so clear that it kept me hooked the whole time. It started off with a brilliantly sudden and shocking beginning and to be honest, it ended the same way.

I would definitely recommend this for someone who wants a book with great characters, a story full of intrigue and a blend of some of the best genres.
A brilliantly written; emotional journey of a woman trying to find out the truth about her mother.

"A swallow in an attic, a strand of hair tangled in an engagement ring, a smoking chimney: all insignificant in their own right until fate arranged them like dominoes and allowed them to fall."

Adele Foyle never knew her mother and was brought up by her grandmother. After her grandmother's death she cleans out her house and attic and here she discovers a diary that belonged to her mother. Her life falls apart when she starts reading it and discovers that her mother was gang raped by three men and one of them is her father. Who were the three blind mice? Determined to find out more she desides to return to the town her mother grew up in and look into the circumstances of her rape and death. And to find her father. What happened at the House of Atonement her mother was send to and why can't she find anything about her mother and grandmother in the archives. She is determined to find out the truth but there are people even more determined to stop her in her tracks.

About three quarters through the book I was a bit worried that all has been revealed but then the author throws a curveball that you dont see coming!

A very entertaining read and I will definitely try more books from this author.

Thank you to #netgalley and #bookouture for the ARC in exchange for my honest opinion.
I adore this author's books and this one was no exception. In fact, the sharp writing, the believable characters, the tense, pacy tale which also packed an emotional punch make this in my opinion her best book so far, and that's saying something as all of her books so far have raised the bar. This book made me think and question, ponder the motives and the actions of the characters. This is a story that will stay with me for a very long time. A masterpiece of astute plotting and carefully timed revelations, mixing suspense and emotion seamlessly and to great effect.  A book for everyone. Just brilliant.
This is a very moving book where the secrets about a disgusting event that took place more than 20 years ago, will finally be unraveled and universe settles the score.

Money makes the world go round and it's often not what but who you know that matters. But is it enough to keep everything hidden ...?

Sometimes you have to tell a lie in order to protect yourself. Sometimes you have to do it to protect someone else. But when you lie to protect yourself and put the blame on someone else, there it's where it starts to go wrong and you will have to live with it for the rest of your life. You might feel safe but you never know how things will turn out.

The manipulator might be manipulated as well.

A brilliant and captivating story. 5 stars

Thank you, Laura Elliot and Bookouture (via Netgalley)
"A swallow in an attic. A butterfly in a jungle. Random events. Heartbreaking decisions."

Adele Foyle, a 24-year-old documentary writer for Voice Dox, returns to Crannock to bury her grandmother. While there, cleaning out the house they shared once upon a time, Adele finds a backpack containing a diary written by her mother -- a 15-year-old who died when Adele was born. Her grandmother, Noreen, had always refused to tell Adele anything about her mother's pregnancy or the circumstances surrounding her birth, so Adele eagerly devours the diary. What she discovers is shocking and heartbreaking. Her mother, Marianne, had been sent to a home for others like her in Reedstown to wait out her confinement and it was run like a religious cult and known as the Sodality of Thorns and Atonement. When Marianne dies, Adele and Noreen leave Reedstown and hide away in Crannock where they lived until Adele moved to London for work, met and became engaged to Daniel. Because the information in the diary is so inflammatory, Adele feels compelled to go to Reedstown and discover if it contains the truth and to obtain justice for her long-dead mother. NO SPOILERS.

Well, the twists and turns just kept on coming so once I started this I could not put it down so read in one sitting. And what a beautiful but sad story it was. The events that ruined Marianne were tough to read and those responsible definitely needed just punishment. I liked the way the author told the story from different points of view and how the diary entries were shared. It never ceases to amaze me what some won't do to cover up their dirty little secrets, lies and crimes. I really liked the characters of Adele and Rachel, a Garda in Reedstown. Some of the others were also well-drawn and their reactions to the release of Marianne's diary were described in great detail. I can't honestly quite figure exactly what niche or sub-genre this book fits into but it does have themes of violent rape, imprisonment, mistreatment and psychological manipulation. I really enjoyed it and I think you will too.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for this e-book ARC to read and review.
I am not usually one to agree with taglines or blurbs because they often feel over-the-top, but this is one case where I can wholeheartedly say that it is 100% accurate. This book was an addictive, emotional, page-turner of a psychological thriller (that’s a mouthful). The characters are real and well-developed, and the author does a superb job of bringing the village of Reedstown with all of its blemishes, secrets, and tainted history to life. Adele is a protagonist who is easy to support as she journeys into the past to find the truth about her mother’s life and death. In My Mother’s Name is one book you do not want to skip over. For a full review, please visit my blog at Fireflies and Free Kicks Fiction Reviews. Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for the opportunity to read a complimentary pre-release, digital ARC of this book.
Laura Elliot’s book “In My Mother’s Name” is shocking, creepy, & impossible to put down. The plot involves a young woman looking for answers about her mom, who died during childbirth. The answers she finds are disturbing and haunting. If you like psychological thrillers, read this! If you like family dramas, read this! If you want to be completely creeped out, read this!! This book deserves to be in all the top charts!
A deliciously intense and emotional thriller that you won't soon forget !  A shocking conclusion !! I highly recommend this book by a gifted storyteller !I Thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for the opportunity to read and review this book ! #Netgalley #Bookouture
#InMyMother’sName