Cover Image: Alone in the Wild

Alone in the Wild

The newest entry in the Rockton series stays true to Kelley Armstrong's addictive writing and memorable characters. It is very easy to become immersed in the worlds that she creates, without restricting those who may not have read all other books in the series. There is enough here to stand alone, though you may be left wondering about some of the back story on secondary characters.
Rockton holds many secrets.  Detective Casey Duncan and the Sheriff Eric Dalton make up the romantic couple that is brought to life by Armstrong. They also share being part of the law enforcement team. This is a series revolves around solving crime, secrets, and the survival in a Yukon community.  The residents of Rockton along with the plot make this series shine.  This story would be best enjoyed from the beginning so pick up the whole series to enjoy.  " Copy of this book was provided by Minotaur Books via NetGalley with no requirement for a review.  Comments here are my honest opinion."
This is the fifth book in the intriguing Rockton series. I think this could act as a stand alone but the previous books are so good that I recommend reading them first. Lots of characters from the earlier books re-emerge so although it’s not necessary to have read them, I think this would be more enjoyable if you have. I have loved all the books in this series and this is no exception. Casey and Dalton are on a camping trip when she hears a baby crying in the forest and discovers a murdered woman lying in the snow clutching an infant. They take the body and the baby back to Rockton. She and Dalton go into full investigative mode to try to discover the identity of the woman and try to find out who the parents are and if the baby has been abandoned or kidnapped. They visit other settlements to talk with the people and learn a lot more about their neighboring communities. Rockton usually doesn’t allow anyone under 18 to live there but an exception is made until they can find the parents. This brings out a lot feelings for Casey and Dalton about having children and starting a family and each have their own hopes an misgivings. This is a very touching story and out of all the books shows Casey’s positive influence on Rockton and the surrounding settlements. Overall this is another great book by Kelley Armstrong. I’m considering re-reading all the previous books, they are that good. I’m looking forward to the next one, too. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for giving me an ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review. All opinions expressed are my own.
Very well written. The storyline was perfect. I could not out it down. Read the book in one day. The author sucks you in to the plot.
Alone in the Wild is book 5 in the Rockton series and although it could be read as a standalone novel, the rest of the series is excellent and there are many appearances from recurring characters that would give the reader greater context.  Kelley Armstrong's Rockton series is unique and enjoyable.  Rockton is a city in the Yukon which offers a way for its residents to disappear - from dangerous situations, from criminal charges.  It's a fully self contained environment without access to modern conveniences and the outside world.

In Alone in the Wild, Casey and Eric are out camping in the woods near Rockton when Casey hears a baby cry, follows the sound and comes across a dead woman in the forest with a baby clutched to her chest.  Casey and Eric care for the baby while trying to track where she came from and determine if they can and should return her.  In investigating the death of the woman and the origins of the baby, they encounter other residents of the forests surrounding Rockton and gain answers to other lingering questions.

Alone in the Wild is an enjoyable entry in the Rockton series and I eagerly anticipate the release of the next book in the series.
This is the fifth ‘Rockton’ novel and if you have not read the previous four, I would highly recommend you do before reading this one.  The book mentions events that took place in the previous novels, though for most a quick explanation is included for most of those events.  As far as the story line, it is a good one, Casey finds a baby in the woods while out camping with her boyfriend, the Sheriff of Rockton, Dalton.  The baby is with a woman that is deceased, which is quickly determined to be murder.  Much of the storyline involves finding out who the woman is, and who the baby belongs to.  This involves visits to two known settlements, one friendly the other not so much. The author keeps the plot moving at a steady pace and the pieces of information leading to the identity of the mother are engaging. I would highly recommend this book.  Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the ARC.
Alone in the Wild is the 5th book in the Casey Duncan series. Casey and Eric are on a camping vacation when she hears the cry’s of a baby. What she finds is a woman’s body buried in the snow, the baby still alive. Casey is determined to find the parents but did they abandon there child to die. Eric is having a hard time dealing with the circumstances of how he came to be in Rockton. Casey is coming to terms with things in her life as well. Eric and Casey’s relationship is so strong and solid. There love story is the backbone of this whole series. I love this series it’s so different. Rockton is such a unique place with a lot of complex characters. I really like Tyrone Cypher the ex sheriff  he’s gruff and like everyone here there is something dark in there past.This installment takes us more on the outskirts than in. Everyone is being close mouthed about the parents.. Another great adventure.
This was another great read in the Rockton series. I loved catching up with the old characters plus learning of new ones! I loved seeing Casey and Dalton again plus the mystery was very interesting. I look forward to many more books in this series! I received an advanced readers copy and all opinions are my own.
It took me awhile to understand rockton, the sttlers, wild ones at  so I didn't get into the book right away. I was debating whether to story reading it but skipped ahead in case in became more interesting.  And it did, so much so that I finished in 1 reading. Once they went to the settlement it just moved quickly from one thought provoking scene to another. Thank you netgalley and the publisher for this arc
I received a complimentary copy of this book through Netgalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
I requested this book on Netgalley for the beautiful cover and intriguing description, not knowing it was the 5th book in the Rockton series. I borrowed the first 4 from my library and began my adventure. The whole concept of a town in the Yukon completely off the grid as a refuge for victims and rich criminals paying to escape the law is fascinating. I fell more in love with the town and characters with each book, and Alone in the Wild was no exception. Finding a baby in the woods clutched by a murdered woman, Casey and Dalton search to find out who they are and who the baby belongs to. Caring for the baby causes Casey to consider her future and confront her possible infertility while Dalton faces truths from his past about where he came from and whether he himself was kidnapped as a child.
I'm so glad requesting this book introduced me to this author and a new series I love.  I plan to try her Cainsburg series as well.
This series just gets better and better.   When a baby is found Casey searches high and low for the parents while dealing with the sudden realization that children may be something she wants in the future.

I received and ARC from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.
I always enjoy Kelley Armstrong's books and this one was no exception. I think her stories are always interesting, well placed, populated with well round characters and set in vividly described locations. I also would highly recommend her to anyone because I think her books would appeal to many kinds of readers.
Kelley Armstrong does it again! Her Rockton novels had me hooked from the go and this fifth installment does not disappoint. The situations are believable given what might happen in remote isolation. I love the natural evolution and progression of the characters, discussing and experiencing issues and emotions commensurate with their situations. The introduction of new characters feels organic and the discovery of old character’s “secrets” still manages to surprise.
Ahoy there me mateys!  I received an eArc of this thriller through NetGalley in exchange for me honest musings.  Though this log’s focus is on sci-fi, fantasy, and young adult, this Captain does have broader reading tastes. So occasionally I will share some novels that I enjoyed that are off the charts (a non sci-fi, fantasy, or young adult novel), as it were. This be the fifth book of a series.  If ye haven’t read the other four, then ye might want to skip this post and go get caught up.  While I try to post no spoilers, if ye keep reading this log then ye have been forewarned and continue at yer own peril . . .

alone in the wild (Kelley Armstrong)

Title: alone in the wild

Author: Kelley Armstrong

Publisher: Macmillian/Minotaur Books – Established in 1999, Minotaur is a premier publisher in the bestselling category of crime fiction.

Publication Date: TODAY!!! (hardcover/e-book)

ISBN: 978-1250254283

Source:  NetGalley

I love Kelley Armstrong!  I discovered her through her young adult book, sea of shadows, and she became me most read author of 2016. I have really been enjoying this series and I didn't even read the blurb before I requested this.

This novel continues the adventures of Rockton's detective, Casey Duncan.  For those who be adventurous and are readin' this post having not read the previous books, Rockton is an off-the-grid town in the Yukon.  People pay a council to spend time in this town to hide from their pasts.  Some flee domestic abuse.  Some flee other more unsavory problems.  Suffice to say, the town is not an idyllic wonderland.

I loved that, unlike in the previous books, all the important action in this mystery takes place in the forest and the communities outside of Rockton.  Rockton has been weirdly well-behaved and is focused on the preparation for December's holidays.  Casey is supposed to be enjoying a mini vacation but that goes out the window when she hears a baby cry while out in the middle of the woods.  Aye, a baby.  But with that baby is a dead body that clearly shows signs of murder.  Casey be determined to find the babies relatives.  She just has to figure out who they are first.

This case involves visiting the other settlements in the forest who don't like outsiders.  I really enjoyed getting insight into how the other Yukon groups choose to live.  Also some questions about hostiles are answered which of course lead to bigger questions for Casey to eventually solve.  Ye get more answers (and questions) about Dalton's past too.  I can't wait to see where those plot lines go in future books.

The first three books were more self-contained.  Books four and five hint at a larger picture and have had interwoven threads.  The nice part is that each book's problems are solved even while the ramifications of Rockton's existence are getting more tricky.  I did miss not having much time with Rockton residents but got a ton of fun in exchange.  I read this book in one sitting and time flew by.  If ye haven't visited Rockton yet, ye should!

So lastly . . .

Thank ye kindly St. Martin's Press!

Normally I post the blurb here but I am not because of spoilers!

To visit the author’s website and blog go to:

Kelley Armstrong - Author

To buy the novel visit:

watcher in the woods - Book

To add to Goodreads go to:

Yer Ports for Plunder List

Previous Log Entries for this Author

sea of shadows- book 1 (Captain’s Log – Young Adult Fantasy)

empires of the night -book 2 (Captain’s Log – Young Adult Fantasy)

forest of ruin - book 3 (Captain's Log - Young Adult Fantasy)

the masked truth (Captain’s Log – Young Adult Thriller)

missing (On the Horizon - Young Adult Thriller eArc)

rough justice - book 5.5 (On the Horizon - Fantasy eArc)

city of the lost - book 1 (Off the Charts – Thriller/Crime)

a darkness absolute - book 2 (Off the Charts and on the Horizon – Thriller/Crime Arc)

this fallen prey - book 3 (Off the Charts and on the Horizon – Thriller/Crime eArc)

watcher in the woods - book four (Off the Charts - Thriller/Crime)
What a great series this is. Really enjoy how the characters of Casey and Eric continue to develop with each book. Look forward to the next book.
Another great read by Kelley Armstrong! As usual, Armstrong grabbed my interest and I really was interested in the setting of the story.  I feel like with each book her growth and development of characters continues to improve. Thank you netgalley for this arc in exchange for my honest opinion.
Really interesting book about a part of the world few of us ever see - the Yukon.  But a strange community exists there, a community of people who have fled ordinary society for a variety of reasons, most of them criminal.  Eric Dalton is the police chief there and his girlfriend Casey (who is in Rockton for reasons of her own) helps him keep the peace.  But when they find a baby lying with a dead woman, Dalton and Casey must search outside of Rockton to discover who the baby belongs to, and why she was left in the woods.  This was a fascinating read filled with unique characters and ways of life.  My only objection was that the town of Rockton and its heritage are not well-explained.  Since this was the first book in the series that I read, this made things confusing.  but it certainly whet my appetite for the first four books in the series!
Kelly Armstrong has written another great story about the town of Rockton. The setting is present day deep in the Alaskan wilderness. I've followed this series from the first book "City of the Lost" and each book is better than the previous one. There's murder and intrigue and enough surprises that kept me interested from the first page to the last. Each book can be read as a standalone but I recommend reading them in order for maximum enjoyment.

I received an Advanced Reader's Copy from Minotaur Books. The opinions expressed are entirely my own.
#AloneInTheWild #NetGalley
#AloneintheWild
#Edelweiss
#NetGalley
Thank you to Minotaur Books, Edelweiss, and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review Alone in the Wild by Kelley Armstrong.
First off, if you haven't read the Casey Duncan novels before you really should read them in order. It will make your understanding of what goes on in this one much easier. In that being stated this is the fifth novel in the Rockton series. Casey Duncan has found a murdered woman in the woods clutching a baby. In the rules that go along with Rockton this cause a conflict with the "no one under 18" rule. The storytelling of Ms. Armstrong is once again superb and spot on. She has a way of directing the reader so easily that you don't realize it until you go to finish the book. I think this plot is one of my favorite because of the emotional level of having to unravel the investigation all while the emotional burden tied to the infant is at play in the plot.
Looking once again to create all the fun and intrigue of the past four books in this series, I was very happy to receive an advanced copy of this book. Once again, I was not disappointed as I followed the adventures of Casey and Dalton, as they root out evil from a faraway place called Rockton. It was to be another exciting ride into the wilds of the Yukon and one in which many of the strange but somehow alluring characters reappear.

How could one hear a baby's cry in the woods of the inhospitable Yukon? As Casey and Dalton were away for a bit of a vacation from the frantic pace of Rockton and its many  nefarious residents, Casey hears something. It couldn't be a baby, it must be an animal. However, upon tracking the sound Casey not only finds a baby, but also a dead woman covering the infant as a last attempt to keep it safe.

The mystery begins as both Casey and Dalton wonder where this child came from, who are the parents, and how could anyone leave an infant to such a fate? As they search and delve into this event, more about the outer settlements from Rockton are revealed and we begin to understand the way of life in the frozen wild is indeed very different from the world we know.

Once again, Kelley Armstrong has written an intriguing story that keeps the momentum going in this series. Her characters, many of which were definitely odious in their past lives, are seen in a light that, while not always complimentary, makes them people that we come to know and perhaps even like. She reveals more and more of her main characters's personalities, and the love story between Casey and Dalton adds a bit of spice to the tale.

If you have read the other four books, you definitely need to set time aside for this one, as you will not be disappointed. It is a riveting gripping tale that grabs you from the onset to the very last page. If you are looking for a terrific captivating series then this series is definitely recommended.

Thank you to Kelley Armstrong, St Martin's Press, and NetGalley for a copy of this absorbing tale. This book is due out February 4, 2020
My review and an interview with the author about this series can be seen here: http://yayareadslotsofbooks.wordpress.com/