Cover Image: Alone in the Wild

Alone in the Wild

As always, I loved Casey and Eric's characters. Armstrong continues to impress me with how she constantly keeps me on my toes with this series. While the mystery was not as strong for me as the previous books, I did enjoy this installment. I was particularly excited to learn more about the different groups of people surrounding Rockton. I hope we get to see more of this series and these characters.
Minotaur Books and NetGalley provided me with an electronic copy of Alone in the Wild. I voluntarily chose to review this book and my opinion is freely given.

Detective Casey Duncan loves the hidden town in which she lives and will do anything to protect its citizens. When she and her boyfriend, Sheriff Eric Dalton, go on a camping trip, the last thing they expect to come across is a murder scene. As the town does not have any couples or people under 18, it is immediately apparent that the woman is a stranger, due to the baby clinging to her body.

I had a difficult time finishing Alone in the Wild. There was not much of a story here and there was nothing to set it apart from other police procedural thrillers, except for the hidden nature of the town. The character development was minimal, though there was some background information given. The plot was not all that memorable and my attention often went elsewhere while reading. For the reasons listed above, I would not recommend Alone in the Wild to other readers.
Armstrong's Rockton series keeps going strong, as she fills out the surrounding areas of the Yukon wilderness in this installment. Her writing is tight, her characters are intriguing and multifaceted, and the mysteries are compelling.
A simple 2-Day camping trip sets Casey and Eric onto a whole new disturbing mystery when they find a murdered woman clutching a still living baby.  With each new installment comes more intrigue and some answers about this wild area of the Yukon where a lot of secrets are hiding.

Alone in the Wild is book five in the Casey Duncan (Rockton) series.  These all connect closely so work best when read in order.

Casey and Eric have had a fairly quiet six months in Rockton after the last harrowing case and have earn a bit of time out for themselves.  They choose to go off on a camping trip for a few days leaving Will in charge and every one in festive spirits for the Christmas and Winter Solstice holidays.  They are enjoying their time away when Casey stumbles upon a woman’s body buried in the snow and a crying baby.  The woman has been murdered and the least of the mystery is the murder because this woman is dressed like a settler from one of the other settler towns and yet her skin under the clothes bares the markings of one of the wild people.  April also confirms that the woman is not the baby girl’s mother.
At the same time, the wild woman, Maryam, who was once a member of Rockton has slowly become sane again and gives Casey the answers she has been hunting for why some people lost their sanity and went crazy in the wild.
So, off they go on the hunt even while Casey and Eric struggle with the private question of do they want children even as they grow attached to the little one they found.

I’ve been making my way steadily through the books in the series over these past few months and loved each suspenseful tale I got as well as the deepening relationship between Casey and Eric.  They have all given a nice balance of romance and suspense.  But, somehow this one felt like it dug a little deeper by forcing Casey and Eric to solve an internal mystery even while tracking down the answers to the murder case they have as well as finally getting the answers to the wild people’s existence.

When Casey was attacked many years before, the doctor told her that she probably would never be able to carry a baby to term.  In the scheme of things, it hadn’t mattered before and Eric said he was content with it being just the two of them.  Now, baby Abby is with them and stirring feelings and thoughts that they have to address.  The dead wild woman and the live Maryam stir up even more.  Their trail takes them out away from Rockton this time and I did enjoy seeing how Rockton fit with the other groups of peoples.

These people groups are always so fascinating out there in the Yukon wilderness.  The intro to the trade family and their cut throat ways, the two other settlements, the lone people, and Rockton people living out in that vast wilderness is quite the melting pot.

In one of my previous reviews, I was disappointed in the way Storm their dog was a handicap and Casey’s impetuous need to prove herself to Eric and everyone else was the catalyst for some bad to worse situations.  I was happy to see that along with her own personal growth and strengthened relationship with Eric, Casey has worked hard to keep Storm from being a liability and her weak point.  She has also worked hard not to leap into danger without thought and is developing her own wilderness knowledge  She also approached her personal and relationship issues with such maturity and Eric has opened up to her and is slowly unpacking things from his past to allow her to help him work through all that with him.  This is all what I like to see over the long haul of a series.

Alongside Casey and Eric’s maturing, it is always fun to see recurring characters like Tyrone, Jen, Will, Kenny, April, Petra, Isabel, and the new council liaison, Phil, filling in the cast of characters around them.

The mystery itself led them on a merry chase and gave them some danger moments to deal with.  Again, it twists along and seems obvious until yet another twist happens.  I enjoy that about these.  I can figure some of it out, but an always left with some good surprises.

So yes, all in all, I thought this was the best one yet and now that I’m caught up, I’ll have to try to patiently wait for the next Yukon wilderness adventure mystery for the hidden town of Rockton.  Thriller romance fans who want something a bit off grid and gritty should definitely give this series a go.

I rec’d this book from Net Galley to read in exchange for an honest review.
Alone in the Wild:  A Rockton Novel
By Kelley Armstrong
Minotaur Books
2020

Review by Cynthia Chow

In the isolated Yukon town of Rockton, Casey Duncan serves as the Detective over a community populated by fugitives running from stalkers, criminals, and the law.  What Rockton doesn’t have are residents under the age of 18, which is why the baby Casey discovers protectively cradled in the body of a dead woman is so unsettling.  Casey and her boyfriend, Sheriff Eric Dalton, keep a close watch over the less than 200 members of Rockton, and with none of the them having been pregnant, the baby’s parents could have come from only a few places.  The First Settlement and Second Settlement had branched off from Rockton in the sixties, with unpredictable “hostiles” roaming in nearly primitive conditions.  While too many in Rockton encourage Casey to keep the baby herself, she and Dalton are intent on solving the two mysteries; who murdered the woman who was not the mother, and what happened to the infant’s parents.

This continues to be an extraordinarily compelling series that explores a community where everyone has a secret, all are running from their pasts, and trust is not given easily.  Or at all.  This fifth in the series expands on the outer communities, especially the once-mythical rogue hostiles whose tribal and near-feral status baffles Casey considering that many were formerly “civilized” scholars and scientists.  The anthropological examination of the communities truly is fascinating, especially considering how the Rocktons consider themselves to be colonists and the branched-off Settlers to be natives who are either threats or prey.

At its heart though, is a the more traditional police procedural that has Casey and Dalton questioning suspects and often being led astray by those with self-centered motives.  In the communities where men vastly outnumber women, outdated mentality has set in where the latter are often viewed upon as property to be earned or taken.  That sexist attitude makes Casey’s and Dalton’s relationship so refreshing and entertaining, as both are overcoming their pasts and help each other to move forward.  Dalton’s origin and link to the Settlements has helped them to bridge differences, but his personal history also has him conflicted as they track down the baby’s parents.  Already a “mother” for her beloved 140-pound canine companion Storm, Casey’s maternal instincts are being triggered by caring for the baby they’ve nicknamed Abby.  The recent arrival of Casey’s on-the-spectrum sister April has allowed the siblings to mend their estranged relationship, with the latter’s skills as a neurosurgeon proving to be vitally helpful to the town.  Her sense of humor may be a work-in-progress, but April’s attempt to adapt is a delight in itself.  The exploration of the communities, examination of human nature, and a thrilling, action-packed ending propel readers along throughout this outstanding novel.  There is still so much more to unwrap as the communities, not to mention Casey and Dalton, learn more about one another, promising many future installments in this unique series by a bestselling author of so many paranormal and thriller novels.
Kelley Armstrong is an author whose books I’ve read since I was a teen, and someone who I’ve met twice at book signings. As I got older and started to read outside of YA, classics, and Shakespeare, I delved into Armstrong’s other series including, mostly recently, Rockton.

There’s something about Armstrong’s writing that is just so easy to read. She has a very specific voice and style that’s similar across all of her adult books. I’m so used to it that it feels so easy to slip into each story, even this one. I like knowing what to expect from her books because it means I don’t have to work hard at reading the book (and that’s a good thing for someone who doesn’t like more traditional thrillers).

Like I said, I don’t typically read normal thrillers. When I have for book clubs, I rarely (if ever) end up liking them. And that’s okay; it’s just not really a genre for me. But somehow I like the way Armstrong balances mystery, thriller, and romance. I ship the ship, I know there will be some messed up discoveries made by Casey and Eric throughout the book. And it’s a fun ride.

I think, however, this book suffers a bit in terms of plot. I wasn’t as engaged with this story as I usually am with the series. I’m not sure why, except maybe I struggled with some of the choices characters made this time around. The mystery itself was also a little convoluted and drawn out with oddly convenient clues that were misleading but took up a lot of page time.

Something that’s always bothered me about these books is the judgemental way women are often discussed — even by the heroine. There’s some cliche female characters that I wish weren’t there. It felt like the last book improved upon this and relaxed its stance that women can’t be good friends because they’re catty and not to be trusted. But this book undid all of that progress. And I think that left me feeling disappointed.

Overall, I liked the book but not as much as I wanted to. I’ll still read the next book in the series because something about it keeps drawing me back in. But hopefully I’ll have a better reading experience next time.
Rockton, the remote settlement in Yukon where you go when you’ve got money and need somewhere to hide…whether you’re a victim or the criminal.

When Detective Casey Duncan and Sheriff Eric Dalton take a camping trip to relax and escape their responsibilities in Rockton for a few days the second to last thing they expect to find is the body of a murdered woman. Of course, finding the, thankfully still living, baby with her is the very last thing they expect to see. Who is the child? Where did she come from? Who left her in the snow and cold to die? As Casey and Eric investigate it takes them away from Rockton and into the remote settlements where alliances are uneasy and reluctant and where they may just find a ruthless killer.

I’ve really come round to thrillers in the last few years, there’s something about them that just entices me in and makes me want to stay and read more. Much like with romance. It got me thinking…why do I love such seemingly different genres? Then I wondered…how different are they really? In romance you follow the relationship of two (or more!) people until they find their happily ever after. With thrillers, you’re also watching the relationship between two (or more!) people until a happy ending has been reached. Granted the relationship is usually between a cop and the killer and the HEA will come when that killer is either dead of in prison, but it follows a very similar pattern. There’s a structure and predictability to it where, usually, everything works out how you want it to and clearly this is the kind of book I love.

This leads me merrily to the Rockton series and the latest instalment Alone in the Wild. It’s a thriller series in a unique setting, with a very strong romance thread between Casey and Eric. Their relationship has constantly evolved and grown as Rockton throws challenge after challenge their way. If you’re looking at getting into thrillers from the romance genre, this series would be a good place to start.

Most of this series has had the main bulk of the problems and the action set in Rockton itself. In this book, Armstrong expands and has us exploring some of the surrounding territory and peoples that have been spoken about in previous books. We learn more about the hostiles and the other settlements. This led to a different kind of thriller from the previous books. Usually in these books, despite the vast amount of land and wilderness these books are set in, they feel very claustrophobic. You never know who you can trust and it makes for a very nail biting read as you’re constantly looking over your shoulder. This wasn’t the case in Alone in the Wild.

Casey and Eric are searching for the lost baby’s parents and so it’s a lot of walking from one place to another and it lost a lot of the tension I have come to expect from these books. This book felt more like a tool to progress the relationship between Eric and Casey. The presence of the baby makes them both confront painful wounds in their psyche, wounds that they otherwise ignore. In Alone in the Wild they look at these problems dead on and must decide how they’re going to deal with them both individually and as a couple.

But, that doesn’t make for a fast paced atmospheric thriller. I still very much enjoyed the book as I have come to love all the characters, but it wasn’t the tense, nail biting thriller I was expecting. As I am a die hard romance reader I was perfectly happy with the shift in focus, but I think any purely thriller readers may find this one a bit slow.

A great read, maybe it wasn’t quite what I expected from this series, but it was still a real page turner.
Thank you for the opportunity to read this. I will be posting a full review to Goodreads, Amazon, and Instagram.
I adore Kelley Armstrong and I love supporting Canadian authors, but I couldn't make it through this novel just because of what I am currently going through in my life. Just having had a miscarriage, it is really hard to read about this child. I may be able to go back to it in the future, but right now I can't possibly read any further.
I was not able to finish this book. At 40% through I’ve decided not to finish this book. The storyline was intriguing at first but the pace is slow and not enough to keep me reading. I’ve enjoyed the author’s books in the supernatural genre in the past but the detective/police stories have not held my interest. Others who enjoy that genre may like this book but it’s not for me.
1 Mar 2020:  added link to Amazon review

READ 11 Feb 2020  (★★★½ rounded up)

One reason why the Rockton/Casey Duncan series intrigues city-bred-me so much: it’s one thing to live off-grid, yet quite another to live waaaaaayyy off-grid w/ dubious natures of some Rockton residents.  Not everyone’s a prepper, survivalist, ex-military or otherwise experienced/trained, right?

Delayed by series re-read/catch-up & ARC for another Minotaur/SMP book, I blazed thru ALONE IN THE WILD in nearly one sitting.  Armstrong’s tight, snappy writing = effortless reading = very happy me.  👍👍

Then email alert = #2 in line for audio.  So yeah, I sat on review & waited… & waited… Srsly, this book is the *one time* that Patron #1 d/n return w/in 2-3 days?

So... When ALONE IN THE WILD opens, 32yo Casey Duncan has been in Rockton for @ 16mos.  Now married to Sheriff Eric Dalton (wait, when did *that* happen?), navigating a do-over w/ older sister April, and training adorable Storm (Newfoundland pup), Casey has never been happier.  And it must be true love for her to go on freakin’ weekend getaway camping trip—in freakin’ December in the Yukon.

Alas, finding a dead woman clutching a barely-alive newborn puts a kibosh on Casey’s idyllic weekend.

Unlike previous books, ALONE IN THE WILD is rather ‘quiet’ in mystery & tone.  Yes, there are chases, shootings, etc.  But for me, there was a distinct lack of urgency once care/feeding of Baby Jane Doe was addressed.  More important is that each trip out serves as vehicle to advance series arc and further expand its ‘footprint’ & cast of players to include the Second Settlement, as well as an…interesting trader family group.  (Alright, they are downright skeevy/ruthless.  Expect to see more of them—or at least, particular couple—in future.)

For me, ALONE IN THE WILD felt almost like a ‘bridge book’.  Nws its quieter moments, I enjoyed the little twists/red herrings and movement re: certain plot threads (hence bump up in rating).  The final reveal/resolution worked for me.  Also, given that much of this installment takes place outside Rockton, I appreciated that Armstrong inserted scenes (however short) so to touch base w/ certain residents.

My major peeve/con?  WTH happened to Cypher?  Getting soft in old age or by thoughts of provisions from Rockton & periodic visits to the Roc? 😉

The best?  Storm’s out-of-blue suitor. 😂😂

~ 28 Feb 2020 ~

NB:  Above is abbreviated review, as posted on Amazon (review being processed).  See link #1 for full review on GR.
Alone in the Wild
A Rockton Novel
by Kelley Armstrong
St. Martin's Press
Minotaur Books
Mystery & Thrillers

I should note that this is book 5 in the series.  I hadn't read the other four so I was lost.  For readers of Kelley Armstrong this will be a great read.  I will now go back and read the other books.
Thanks to Net Galley and St. Martin's Press for my ARC.
This book was more about developing the characters and maybe less about the mystery (although there was something intriguing going on), but I thought story moved along well and was quite interesting. I'm really enjoying Casey and Eric's relationship changing and growing.
We also get to learn more history about the settlements and the hostiles.

This is book five in the Rockton series, but the author does a great job of giving us backstory without bogging down the current story. But for full enjoyment of this series, I think you should all the books in the series.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. My thoughts and opinions are my own and without bias or favor.
Sixth in this series, another to which I always look forward. Rockton, is a unique community and the setting of the Yukon is one to which I'm drawn. Enjoy seeing what these community members are up to, and what the new storyline will be. There have been some doozies.

In this outing Casey finds a dead woman, sheltering a very alive baby. Who the baby belongs to and who the dead women is, as well as who killer will set Eric, Casey and Storm on the hunt. We will see much more of the settlers, inside their settlements and some of their members will play an important part. We will also get a closer look at some of the hostiles, never a safe bet.

This series is an original one and the characters are a strange, mix, all have interesting backstories, though some are still not revealed. The storyline moves at a fast pace and the tension ratchets up as the story progresses. I eagerly await the next.

ARC from Netgalley.
Alone in the Wild is the fifth book in Kelley Armstrong's thriller series Rockton.  I didn't realize it was book five when I requested it; I hadn't read the others.  But I jumped right in anyway.  Was I lost and confused?  Heck, yes.  I needed to read the others first to really understand Rockton and the dynamics of its citizens.  However, it was really such a gripping story that I didn't care if I was confused.  It grabbed hold and held on to me until the end.  Side note:  When I finished the book, I found out I already owned the first three!  No problem...I'll get book 4 and have me a Rockton Marathon!

Detective Casey Duncan and her boyfriend Sheriff Eric Dalton reside in the remote Yukon town of Rockton, a mysterious place with quite the collection of, well, unusual residents.  While camping with their dog Storm, a lovable and huge Newfoundland puppy, Casey discovers the body of a murdered woman under the snow; clutched in her arms is a tiny baby girl who amazingly is still alive.  Casey and Eric go on the hunt to find the parents of the baby and to track down the killer of the woman who saved her.

As I stated earlier, I would have been better served had I read the previous books.  However, I was still drawn deeply into the mystery and it was almost impossible to put it down.  Both Casey and Eric were fantastic characters.  I loved their interactions and the deep love they have for each other.  Both have horrid pasts they are still dealing with, and they are extremely supportive of one another.  They were intensely drawn to the baby and had to deal with those emotions; I couldn't help but cry about that situation.  It was the thrilling mystery, however, that kept me glued to the pages.  I can't wait until I have the opportunity to see what I missed about these engaging characters and the strange town of Rockton.  It's sure to be a thrill ride!

I received an ARC of this book courtesy of the publisher and NetGalley.  I received no compensation for my review, and all thoughts and opinions expressed are entirely my own.
The synopsis really had me intrigued, it sounded exciting and interesting with the main character and location offering a unique twist.
The author wrote a very detailed and descriptive story for readers, setting up the characters and their backstories. Every character had an interesting past.
I only got about 25% of the way through before I stopped. Unfortunately it didn't pull me in, there was a lot of details/context given, maybe more than necessary which stole away from the suspense from me.
Very few authors can write a series of more than three books and keep his or her audience invested. Kelley Armstrong does it again. 𝗔𝗹𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗪𝗶𝗹𝗱 is the fifth book in the Rockton series and it is an awesome story. Detective Casey Duncan and Sheriff Eric Dalton don’t get time off very often. Rockton is located in the Yukon and is a town filled with troublemakers; some by choice; some because they do not have a choice. No murders or major criminal activities have taken place in a little while, so they decided to go on a winter camping weekend. While waiting for Eric to come back to the tent, Casey hears a cry. She investigates and stumbles on the body of an older woman buried in snow. When she looks in her parka, she discovers a very young baby still alive. Casey has faced many dangers and survived, but this encounter will change her life. Not only Casey wants to solve this murder, she also wants to find the child’s parents, but does she really?

In the typical style of Rockton books, Casey and Eric will face many dangers so solve this mystery. The story is solid, the characters believable, and the conclusion perfect. If you have not read this series, I recommend you pick it up from the beginning. It is one of my favourites.

Thank you, St. Martin’s Press and NetGalley for sending me an eARC of this exciting novel.
I feel like I'm going to need to read this one again after reading the first five books in the series. I went into it not realizing it wasn't a standalone!

The writing was beautiful, really. I loved how it wasn't just a mystery but a look inside of the character's minds.

Unfortunately I had too many unanswered questions, especially regarding The Settlement.  I'll review this one again once I read the other five and I'm sure my rating will improve. There's no questioning Kelley Armstrong's ability to weave a beautiful story!

* This book was provided by Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for my honest review.
Alone in the Wild is the fifth Rockton novel, set in the fictional town in Canada’s Yukon Territory. It’s off-the-grid, secretive, and internet-free, a description that just scratches the surface. The climate is “characterized by long, cold winters and brief, warm summers.” Outside its perimeter are settlers, some of whom are hostile and unpredictable. Rockton, its inhabitants, its rules, and its raison d’être are at the heart of the series.

Detective Casey Butler and her beau, Sheriff Eric Dalton, are taking a couple of days off to go winter camping in December. Time off is catch as catch can because, although Rockton has less than 200 people, it’s known as the “murder capital of the world.”

We are a town of fugitives. Everyone here is running from something. Some are victims, on the run from ex-partners, stalkers, anyone who might want them dead through no fault of their own. This is the true purpose of Rockton—a refuge for fleeing persecution. It’s also home to white-collar criminals, whose misdeeds pay our bills. Then there are those whose mistakes—often violent ones—brought them to Rockton under expensively bought cover stories given even to Dalton. So it’s no surprise that we have a murder rate.

Casey and Eric are roughing it in the bush, enjoying a tequila-fueled mini-vacay. As Russian writer Anton Chekhov, no stranger to winter, said, “People don’t notice whether it’s winter or summer when they’re happy.”

Casey has slept in. She’s on her own if you don’t count Storm, a 140-pound Newfoundland tracker. Eric’s off hunting. He left her a note, breakfast, and a warm fire, but after she plays with Storm for an hour, “the fire is down to embers.” Eric said, “Don’t wander,” but Casey takes that as “a suggestion rather than the imperative it seems.” What is imperative is finding kindling.

That’s life up here. Constant work just to survive. Heat doesn’t come at the flick of a switch. Food isn’t the nearest fast-food joint away. Water isn’t a simple matter of turning on a tap.

Casey searches for dead trees, which are “the best source of winter kindling.” Playful pup Storm wants to romp some more. The frolicking ends when Casey hears an inconceivable noise.

The noise comes again, a plaintive wail, like a baby’s cry.

Storm catches it. She stops and pivots, ears perking. She glances at me as if to say, What is that?

Is it an animal that isn’t hibernating—a cougar, a bird, a fox? The weak cry seems to be coming from a buried log. The snow is up to her knees, but Casey powers through and finally reaches the heap. She claws away, hits fabric, and sees a dead woman’s body. There’s no sound; is the baby trapped?

Then, at a whimper, I realize the sound comes from under her jacket. I tear at it, the fabric frozen and stiff.

Blood. I see blood under the snow. I wrestle the jacket open, and there is the baby, clutched to the dead woman’s chest.

Casey is out of her depth when she’s confronted with a tiny baby wrapped in swaddling clothes. Shouldn’t a homicide detective figure out what killed the woman or what to do? Casey returns to her tent, unwraps the babe, discovers she’s a healthy baby girl, and shifts to triage. The baby must be hungry, thirsty, and cold. Casey’s rising hysteria is palpable. Eric returns, takes one look at Casey, and kisses her.

I’m startled at first, and then all I feel and smell and see is him, and the panic evaporates. Tears spring to my eyes. As he breaks the kiss, he brushes the tears away and says, “Everything’s okay. You’ve got this.”

I nod. “I-I don’t know much … Anything really about …”

“It’s more than I do.”

Kelley Armstrong presents a terrifying situation—a dead woman and an abandoned baby—then imperceptibly shifts the tone into something recognizable and manageable. Eric and Casey are a team, “only an hour’s fast walk from town,” so they drip water into the baby’s mouth before they go back and examine the dead woman more closely. There are a scalp wound and a bullet hole in her leg. They make a stretcher to transport the body back to Rockton, sheltering the baby inside their clothes.

There are no infant supplies in Rockton, as Casey’s sister April helpfully points out, because the community doesn’t “allow anyone under eighteen, and there’s a reason why we have a shitload of condoms and diaphragms and every other method of contraception.” But rules are meant to be broken, and the Rockton community comes together to care for the abandoned infant while Casey and Eric figure out who she is and why she was abandoned. Who was the dead woman? “A hostile turned settler. A former hostile with an infant baby. Murdered in the snow. Both of them left to die.” The pair searches out settlers and hostiles alike, maneuvering through challenging interviews, some of them brutish and dangerous.

Rockton’s impending Winter Solstice celebration is the backdrop to the investigation. It’s Casey’s second Christmas in Rockton. “This place goes a little nuts at the holidays, to stave off going a little nuts in general as the days get darker and the temperature plummets.”

If Alone in the Wild is your first Rockton story, you’ll want to catch up to find out what makes this unique community tick. Kudos to Kelley Armstrong’s imagination; Rockton deserves its reputation as “perhaps the most interesting town in all of contemporary crime fiction.”
I really enjoyed how Alone in the Wild was this great mystery but it was also a self discovery novel that pushed Casey and Eric into making decisions about their future. Which one was more interesting? Truly they were both great. The mystery was excellent and it each discovery gave a little more information about this world and some of it was eye opening.

This series is now in it’s fifth installation and my interest in the town of Rockton and Casey and Eric in particular has not waned at all. The two of them keep getting more interesting and as their romance becomes more emotional I want to learn even more about them. While taking care of a baby we see a softer side of both Casey and Eric and I kind of liked it. They are both so tough that it’s nice to see that they can have deeper emotions, not just for each other, but for someone that needs their care and support.

I was really looking forward to this novel and it lived up to my expectations. It was not just a mystery it was a look into the souls of our two main characters. Luckily, the depths of these two characters held up and made this novel even stronger. I’m really looking forward to what their future holds and can’t wait for the release of the next novel!

I received a copy of this book through NetGalley and the publisher for my honest review and it was honest!