The House of Pleasure

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 07 Nov 2019

Unfortunately this one was too predictable for me, no thrill at all. Well written as always but too predictable.
Another fabulous historical romance by Ms. Michaels. Excellent characters and a superb romance. I so enjoyed reading it.
Ms Michaels is back on top form with the last in her novella series. the chemistry between the two main characters is electric. I devoured this in one sitting.  Ms Michael excels at combining erotica with a great plot and dashes of humour. to do this in a book that is only 79 pages long is the work of a master wordsmith.

While several in this series is lacklustre this book is one you can't miss out on. I highly recommend you read this book.

I received an arc of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Miss Hannah Blankenship’s awful father has finally done what he’s threatened to do for years: arrange a marriage for her. And she’s certain she knows the man he’s chosen, a disgusting viscount even older than he is! She only knows one way to end this horrible engagement and that is to get rid of the innocence that has been the bartering point. So she goes to a hell, looking for trouble.

Duncan Cavendish is at the hell trying to drink his own trouble away. As the second son of an earl, he has very little control over his future. His brother has demanded he settle down in order to inherit and now Duncan is stuck. But the alluring stranger who takes him to her bed helps him forget…and makes him want.

But when Hannah realized it is Duncan, himself, who is her intended, she is shocked. The two decide to marry so that Duncan may get his money and Hannah her freedom. But their searing attraction may lead to feelings neither prepared for. And leave them both wondering if their mutual insistence to stay at arm’s length is truly the best course of action.

This recently released, short and sexy novella from Jess Michaels gives us a Diamond who has been on the market to the highest bidder who decides to tempt fate and foil her father’s plans by attending a wicked masquerade and losing her virginity.

Little does Hannah and the accommodating gentleman realize that he is actually her betrothed.

What follows is a quick and steamy read with a surprisingly nice character arc for both MCs and a sweet HEA. A marriage of convenience that is very inconvenient for both their hearts, Michaels uses the limited word count economically and delivers the perfect amount of feels for a short read.

I finished this one in a few hours in one read session, and found myself captivated from start to finish. The intimate scenes are sexy, the historical elements understated but spot on, and the romance sweet and not too melodramatic or complicated. I love marriage of conveniences for the opportunity, in historical romance settings, for MCs to sort out their feelings and relationship while being confined within the bonds of marriage (especially when divorce was difficult). Those stakes being high are drives the romantic elements and when done well (like with this shortie) are so satisfying.

Sixth in a series, I am looking forward to going back and reading the others. Readers who have previously read the series will enjoy some cameos from past MCs.

★★★★★★
4.5 out of 6 Marriage of convenience turns steamy
Another super hot and steamy book from one of the best historical romance authors of the decade. You just can't go wrong with a Jess Michaels book. A definite 4.5 stars.
When Hannah knows her father is finally going to "sell" her to a man older than him in marriage, she takes matters into her own hands. She decides to "ruin herself" so that the man would not want her.
She goes to a masqued house of pleasure and ends up with the man who sees her as she walks in the door. Bold? Yes. Was she a little scared? Yes, but determined. Little did she know that man that ruined her was the actual one her father had signed an agreement with!
Fate you say? Oh but so much more. Duncan was being forced by his older titled brother to marry or he would cut off his allowance. When he finds out Hannah is the lady he was with the night before, he could not believe it!
A sexy, sigh worthy, romantic story of two people who come together in the most unusual manner but are really perfect for each other.. Jess Michaels always brings her characters alive and makes you invested in their lives. Really enjoyed this story!!
Hot, steamy romance from one of my favorite historical romance authors. Duncan is desperate for a wife to avoid being cut off by his brother so he agrees to marry Hannah. Hannah thinks her betrothed is someone else, so she sneaks off to a masquerade to seduce someone...that turns out to be Duncan.

Great novella and quick, hot read. I wasn't a big fan of Duncan's brother, but I did enjoy the main characters.

Thanks to the publisher for a review copy via NetGalley.
The House of Pleasure by Jess Michaels is book 6 in The Scandal Sheets Series.  This is the story of Duncan Cavendish and Hannah Blankenship.  I haven't yet read the previous book, so for me this was a standalone book.
Hannah's father has is making plans for her to marry and of course she is not happy about who she thinks is going to be her husband.  So she takes action in loosing her innocence to make the marriage from going forward.  So she thinks to go to Donville Masquerade  where she can meet someone to help her out.  Duncan is the second son who doesn't have control of his future because his family wants him to marry to settle down his lifestyle.
Enjoyed reading this quick hot story on how they came to be.
Miss Hannah Blankenship's awful father has finally found her a husband as he’s threatened to do. Hannah just knows it the lecherous man her father has been talking to. She takes things into her own hands and goes a pleasure house to a masked ball.  She’ll lose her virginity on her terms. Duncan Cavendish is out for a night of pleasure trying to forget his brother has demanded he settle down in order to inherit.  Duncan spots Hannah as soon as she walks in and is definitely drawn to her. The two the night together to find out the next day Duncan is her intended. Duncan needs respectability to get his inheritance and Hannah wants to wed to get out from under her father’s thumb. I loved this novella it had a few twist and turns to keep it interesting and the romance was great as they both grew to love one another. An excellent story I loved and I voluntarily wrote a review.
I just loved this story! The characters were very engaging. Hannah has a very manipulative father and I enjoyed that she was willing to do whatever she could to thwart his plans. Duncan was also trying to secure his inheritance by a marriage of convenience. I enjoyed how their relationship developed but Duncan was wary of love due to his parent’s experience. This is a novella so it can be read in a few hours but what an enjoyable and satisfying read it is. I received a copy and have voluntarily reviewed it. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
One of the best book in the series, in my opinion, to close this journey. This book has sassy heroine, stubborn hero and lots and lots of steam. It's a marriage of convenience that turns out to be very beneficial to both our Heroes. It was a pleasure to read this series. It worth a while to read the other books if you haven't yet.
I voluntarily reviewed this ARC on my own voluption. Thanks the publisher via Netgalley.
A love story that began from the Scandal Sheet, turned scandalous between the sheets!!
******
Overall rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Kindle Unlimited: No
Amazon link:  https://www.amazon.com/House-Pleasure-Scandal-Sheet-Book-ebook/dp/B07KFL2DVL
******
The House of Pleasure begins as a marriage of convenience and then morphs into much more!  Duncan, the rake, and spare needs to settle down his wicked ways in order to get his inheritance.  Hannah needs to free herself from a father that only sees her as a commodity that can better his station.  Both need something and an arrangement is made.
Even though this is a short read, it still hit the mark 🎯.   Duncan’s growth was the most noticeable and he was my main MC over Hannah.  There is a little drama, lots of steam 🔥🔥🔥🔥, and wonderful characters that make you want more!  That is my biggest complaint..,I wanted more!
I can honestly say I have enjoyed every Jess Michaels book I have read, and this book was no different.  If you want a short, spicy 🌶  historical romance...this is your book.  Actually, this is your series!  Definitely recommend and look forward to her next book.  Grab yourself a drink 🥃  (I chose Four Roses Single Barrel), a warm blanket and your kindle and enjoy!!!
#TheHouseOfPleasure #NetGalley #bookstagrammer #bookstagram #historicalromance #romancereads #steamyread
Hanna doesn’t want to marry the man she thinks her father has chosen for her; she decides to ruin herself.  Duncan is trying to drink his problems away and is now betrothed but at least he will get his inheritance.  He meets a beautiful masked stranger and sparks fly between them.  Little did they know they were already betrothed to each other.  They decide to go through with the wedding for the purpose of his inheritance and her freedom.  However, will they want more in the end?  Fast-paced read with loads of drama and steam.  I loved the characters and the story drew me in from beginning to end.  I loved it.
This was a delightful romp of a novella where the main characters were like able and the plot was short, sweet and to the point. Thank you so much for the ARC!
The House of Pleasure by Jess Michaels
The Scandal Sheet #6

Hannah does NOT want to marry the man she believes her father has “sold” her to so decides to make it impossible for the old goat to want her. When a young stud she has spent time with is presented by her father as her intended instead of that old goat she is a bit surprised and so is Duncan. How the two will maneuver themselves into a HEA and what their reasons for doing as they do is what makes this story a fun quick escape. It is not likely but fantasies are to be enjoyed and do not have to be believable.

Thank you to NetGalley and the author for the ARC – This is my honest review.

4 – 5 Stars
Oliver needs to marry an heiress to save his estate. He has already picked the person and although no one in his family approves of herm, he knows she is his best option. He attends a party to at last ask the lady for her hand, but starts having doubts, so he hides away in the library where he meets a young lady that peaks his interest. Even though he feels like this woman could be the one for him, he knows that he has to do...until he learns from his family that the woman he met is an heiress in her own right. Learning that she is leaving on a train for Scotland the next day, he decides to catch the train with her and start his courting.

Rayne is happy to get away from New York and to possibly find a husband that doesn't want her only for her money. When she meets Oliver again on the train, she thinks that he might be just the man for her. Their courtship quickly proceeds and Rayne is in love. But what happens when she learns that Oliver is desperately in need of money? Can he convince her that their's is a love match?

I really enjoyed Oliver and Rayne's story! I liked the idea that they were on a train for part of their courtship as that is not a normal setting for a historical romance. I loved that Rayne was not your normal society miss. She was such a free spirit and different from many of that time period. I'm going to have to read all the other books in the Miracle Express series as they appear to all have a component of being on a train!
Hannah Blankenship reads in the Scandal Sheet that her father has finally succeeded in finding a groom for her, one that will no doubt benefit him more than it will her. She is sure she knows who he has chosen, Viscount Gordon, a man at least 10 years her father’s senior! She knows her father has been using her virtue as a selling point, so she hatches a plan to thwart him!

She attends the Donville Masquerade with the intention of losing her virginity and therefore ruining her father’s plan to marry her off to Viscount Gordon. Almost as soon as she enters, she is approached and finds herself swept on to the dance floor and it is clear that there is something between them, so when he asks her to go in the back with him, she agrees without a second thought.

Duncan Cavendish is at the Donville Masquerade to forget his own troubles when he sees her, one thing leads to another and soon he has her undressed and is well on his way to pleasurable oblivion when he learns the truth – his mystery lover is a virgin! He demands answers and she is completely honest and asks him to finish what they started. He likes her and when they are done, he asks her name, but she says no names and leaves.

When her father announces he has found her a groom, she is prepared to shock him with the news of her lost maidenhead, but she is the one who is shocked when her new groom ends up being her mystery lover!! She tries to dissuade him, but Duncan recognizes her immediately and asks her father if they can be alone. They talk and decide it benefits them both to marry, he to prove to his brother he is mending his wild ways and her to get out from under her father’s thumb. They agree that love will play no part in their marriage and that they will explore the obvious lust that burns between them.

It seems like a great plan, until feelings start to develop and fears and assumptions threaten to derail their HEA before it even begins.

This was a well written, fast-paced novella with wonderful characters, cameos from former “Scandal Sheet” characters, plenty of steamy love scenes and a sweet HEA. This is the sixth and final installment in the series, but it can easily be read as a standalone story with no problems. Of all the installments, I think this might be my favorite – I just loved the chemistry between Duncan and Hannah and would be happy to recommend this title.

*I am voluntarily leaving a review for an eARC that was provided to me by NetGalley and the Publisher.*
Deliciously dirty arranged marriage romp!

Yummy Duncan Cavendish has a gift for dirty talk, which he uses to fulfill Hannah's ultimate goal in taking charge of her life.  When they're both unmasked the following day, their subsequent marriage is filled with intense passion even while each one is careful to guard their hearts.

Steamy?  Oh yes, definitely.  But that's not all this story is.  Duncan and Hannah are wonderfully layered characters, and their romance delicately explores their growing emotional attachment despite the rules they agreed upon in the beginning.  I absolutely loved the way their friends helped them through this time.  For a relatively short novella, this book packs a solid emotional punch and I couldn't have loved it more.  I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book.
The House of Pleasure is the sixth and last novella (NOOOOOOOOOOO!) in The Scandal Sheet series by Jess Michaels.  I have loved this series and am sorry to see it end.  However, here's hoping her next series consists of novel-length stories.  Pretty please?

Hannah Blankenship's father wants her to marry for social connections, and he's basically bartering her virginity for same.  When Hannah believes her father has chosen an odious man almost old enough to be her grandfather as her husband, Hannah decides to get rid of the one thing she knows is valued:  her virginity; that will surely turn a potential husband away.  She attends a masked ball in a hell in order to lose that pesky problem.  She meets a handsome man, and they have a passionate and steamy encounter.  Later, when she is introduced to her future husband, it's not the odious old man but Duncan Cavendish, the man she had relations with at the hell!  They decide to marry as a business arrangement; She can escape her father's machinations, and Duncan can prove to his brother he is worthy of his inheritance.  Surely they can keep it as a business arrangement...right?

Oh, my, there was quite the passionate attraction between Hannah and Duncan!  Ms. Michaels is a master of sensual scenes.  They didn't fight their passion for each other, but they do try to deny their true feelings.  Both have family issues that make them hesitant to take the final leap into a true love match.  You'll root for these two to finally have a true marriage.  I am going to miss the Scandal Sheet and all the love it brought about!

I received an ARC of this book courtesy of the publisher and NetGalley.  I received no compensation for my review, and all thoughts and opinions expressed are entirely my own.
Miss Hannah Blankenship cannot believe her father is about to wed her to a man of his choosing.  To make matters worse, he's old enough to be her grandfather.  Desperate to escape her fate, Hannah decides to ruin herself in order to avoid it.  That is how she finds herself at a notorious masquerade.

Duncan Cavendish is enthralled with the virginal woman he meets at the masquerade.  They spend a night of passion in each other's arms, thinking they will never see each other again.  Imagine Duncan's surprise when he learns Hannah is his intended bride.  Maybe an arranged marriage won't be so awful after all.

THE HOUSE OF PLEASURE is the sixth installment in the SCANDAL SHEET series.  Author Jess Michaels has done a great job keeping readers engaged in this captivating series, or at least this reader.  Duncan and Hannah are both in untenable situations, both feeling forced to marry.  Duncan is more resigned to his fate than Hannah, but after getting to know one another, both realize a marriage between them might actually work.  Although not my favorite in the series, THE HOUSE OF PLEASURE is still highly enjoyable.  I give it a 3.5 star rating.