Member Review

Pub Date:

Review by

Misty M, Reviewer

My Recommendation

Why else would someone run, if not to escape unspeakable horrors? Is it fear or guilt that drives sixteen-year-old Eleanor Marshall away from her room at Curlew Hall? DS Locke and Slattery are called to the scene when the gruesome remains of one of the hall's carers, Rachel McDermott, are found; soon after, it's discovered that Eleanor has gone missing. It doesn't take long for those involved to draw conclusions and paint the troubled patient, Eleanor, as a suspect, especially once her younger sister turns up dead in a similar, gruesome fashion. Stick around, and you'll find out why she ran...

The story's synopsis and prologue were enough to pique my curiosity, I was interested in finding out what was really going on behind the scenes with Eleanor. Surely she was more than just a troubled teenager? The banter and feeling of ease within DS Locke and DS Slattery's professional relationship was quite enjoyable as well. I looked forward to their interactions and the sense of understanding they shared with one another. Four stars!

While I liked Why She Ran, I must admit, it was a bit of a slow-burn for me. Usually, when I read a thriller, I expect and look forward to a fast-paced, edge of your seat adventure. I found myself wishing there were more excerpts from Eleanor; I was rooting for a girl that I knew hardly anything about. Perhaps that's the mom in me, though. Along these lines, DS Iris Locke's dark past was hinted and referenced throughout the story without ever being fully acknowledged. There's an assumed understanding of the character's history. I decided not to dwell on this too much as I reminded myself that this is book two in a series. I would, however, have very much enjoyed a short paragraph or two summarizing Iris's background. Luckily this did not deter from the storyline much as, towards the end, I found myself breezing through Kindle swipe after swipe because I just had to know what happened to Eleanor. The killer's identity was another biggie, I thought I had a pretty good guess as to who the culprit was... turned out I was wrong and was in for a series of twists that I did not see coming!

This was my first time reading Geraldine Hogan, but I fully intend to make my way back to read the first Detective Iris Locke book, Her Sister's Bones. I would recommend this book to fans of book one and those looking to dive into an intriguing Irish police procedural. Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher Bookouture, and the author Geraldine Hogan for providing me with an advanced reader copy of this title in exchange for an honest review.

I just reviewed Why She Ran by Geraldine Hogan. #WhySheRan #GeraldineHogan #NetGalley #Bookouture #MistysCornerReviews #CrimeThriller #SerialKiller #PolicieProcedural