Cover Image: Safecracker

Safecracker

This book starts out with the main character having their throat cut in the first chapter.... umm.. WHAT?!

You can definitely tell that this was written by a screenwriter/director as it feels very much like a hollywood movie. It was engaging and interesting and not in my normal reading genre. The story line was detailed and felt thoroughly researched which led to a great story. Sometimes the book felt a little over the top like a movie and I think it would be great translated to screen.  I'd love to read something else by this author, as it seems like this may be the first installment of potentially a series?
There are a lot of disturbing murders/torture scenes, so just be aware of that if you struggle with those things.
Ryan Wick’s debut novel, Safecracker, is a high-octane action, thriller.  The story starts with an incredible hook, and never slows down.

Michael Maven is a master safecracker, but really a minor criminal, who gets forced into a high-stakes heist of a rare coin. The characters are great.  The criminals are demented, and they make Maven look like a good guy.  The plot tension is insane and the action is nonstop.  Warning: the book contains some graphic, grizzly violence.

Mr. Wick’s debut turned his great premise into a page-turner of a book.  Plenty of twists to keep me reading all night.  I could easily see this book turned into a “summer box office hit” on the big screen, and I can’t wait for author Ryan Wick’s next book!
This one started off with a bang for me, then I felt like the middle really dragged but it picked up again at the end.
Thieves have always intrigued me so this is a book I knew I would enjoy. With high risk comes great reward... if you are successful.  However for Michael, this job put him in the wrong place at the wrong time with the absolutely wrong person.
A simple job gone wrong lands Michael a nearly impossible job for a drug lord with very little time to prepare. If he pulls it off it will changes things forever, but if he doesn't ... he won't live to tell his story.
Michael Maven is one of the best in his field - he’s a safecracker, a professional thief. He excels at cracking any kind of safe and leaving absolutely no trace behind of his work. Now he  has to pull off the most important theft of his career, but there’s just one little problem. While in the middle of a robbery, the unsuspecting homeowner returns home with a date, so Michael hides in the closet. The date, a beautiful woman, then proceeds to steal what Michael came for and then kill the homeowner. Oh, and the she also tries to murder Michael, too. Cue tons of action: drug cartels, dismemberment, you get the gist.

This is normally not the kind of book I would pick up for myself because I don’t normally go for straight action/crime novels, but I really loved it! It had me on the edge of my seat all the way through. Even though Michael is a professional thief, I loved him as a narrator and was rooting for him the whole time.

I think I saw that this is going to become a series and, if so, sign me up for the next book! I need to see this become a movie because it would make such a great action movie - riveting and fast-paced. Be warned that there is some graphic violence in this, so just a heads up.

Thank you to NetGalley, the author, and the publisher for a digital ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Well, that was indeed a wild ride - I don't think I've ever read a novel about a thief like this one. You can't help but like and feel a little sympathy for Michael - I can't help but wonder what his thief nickname would be if he indeed had one like his buddy the Spanish Fly. From where the book started I would not have expected the events within or at the end. Safecracker was a fun and action-packed book told from the perspective of a thief which isn't a common occurrence for me. A quick-moving title without overloading you with fluff details to get lost in. Overall it reminded me a little bit of a cross between Ocean's Eleven and Layer Cake.

Michael is a little bit of an enigma - a thief with a moral compass, other than stealing that is. He is compassionate and loyal to his friends and family. Michael's training in martial arts is literally the only thing that comes between him and certain death more than once but his skills are not to the point of being unbelievable. The supporting cast did their job well - if this book read like a standalone novel I would have more issues with the lack of character building for them. I believe that we will see more of Liz, Jimmy, and possibly Katarina if there is indeed a sequel to this book.

I would highly recommend Safecracker to readers who enjoy books/movies about professional thieves, mafia/cartel families, and high stakes heists. There is quite a bit of gore, mentions of sexual assault, theft (obviously), profanity, and violence in this book, so just a cautionary FYI there. I am hazarding a guess from the cliffhanger at the end of the book that there might be a second and if that is the case I would definitely read it. A big thank you to St. Martin's Press (Thomas Dunne) and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book - all opinions are my own.
Can see this book getting made into a movie! Full of action and felt like I was watching a movie as I was reading it. Not a book I’d typically read, but glad I gave it a shot. Thank you NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I absolutely loved Safecracker by Ryan Wick! Michael Maven is an expert safecracker. He has one simple job---steal a rare coin out of a safe from a New York apartment. Sounds simple enough to him. However, while in the process of stealing the coin the homeowner returns with a woman. Michael is forced to hide in the apartment. The woman proceeds to murder the man and try to steal the coin herself. Michael is able to escape but the woman's boss just so happens to be a drug lord. He forces Michael to safecrack the safe of a rival or he will kill all of Michael's friends and family. This is one of those novels I love where an everyday person, granted a thief, gets put in an impossible situation and it seems there is no way out. You will be on the edge of your seat with this one. I hope it becomes a series. Thanks to Net Galley and the publisher for the advanced copy of this book. All opinions are my own.
Lots of action and adventure, this book reads like a movie script.  I'm not crazy about drug cartel themed books but this one is well written and a pretty fast read.
Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for the ARC. What an action packed book. Non stop action which made for a great read.
Safecracker by Ryan Wick

A glitch
A hitch
Someone slit his throat
Did he die - or not?

Excellent debut novel that had me up till 2am needing to find out what would happen next. I could not put it down and it is the beginning of a new series starring Michael Maven!

What I liked:
* That I was hooked reading the first sentence of this book
* Michael: just enough shared about him but not too much. A chameleon with strong work ethic dedicated to getting every detail right. A good friend. I never got a true picture of his physical being but did see his character fully.
* Michael’s friends and associates Liz and Jimmy were there for him in more ways than one…so was Marco.
* Katarina: an intriguing woman that grew on me as the book progressed. I wonder if she might show up again in the future.
* The detailed planning that went into heists
* The action/fight scenes
* That the writing involved all my senses
* The real feel of the story
* That the bad guys were evil bad dudes that so deserved to be put down
* Trying to figure out who Michael might be played by in a movie production of this book – it surely deserves a movie!

What I did not like:
* The bad guys…the more I saw of and heard about them the more I disliked them

Did I enjoy this book? Yes
Would I read more by this author? Definitely
Do I recommend this to others? Highly recommend it!

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press-Thomas Dunne Books for the ARC – This is my honest review.

5 Stars
This book got archived before I had a chance to download it. Once I get the chance the read the entire book I can provide a proper review
I returned this book.  Using like the storyline!  I read a few chapters of this book.  It just didn't capture my interest from the beginning.  I'm sorry but I'm bring honest!  I don't have 100 words to explain why I didn't like the book, I just didnt!
I’m so sorry that I’m just posting this. It was hard because I just didn’t like this book. It didn’t hold my interest the way most thrillers do. I just am not into this kind of thriller. A cartel type.. Not for me. It took me forever, many times of starting and stopping, to finish this book.

I didn’t like or relate to anyone in the story.

Thank you #NetGalley, #RyanWick, #StMartin’sPress for this ARC. This is my own review.

A 2/5 stars and I just can’t recommend it to the readers I know personally.
I really enjoyed this book. Personally I think this would make a fantastic movie. I am hoping for a second novel. I truly enjoyed Michael. This is not a normal book for me and i loved every second of it!
I can't get over that this is a debut novel! It was such a fast-paced, addictive read that I couldn't get enough of, I was flipping pages because I needed to know more. This is a fantastic action thriller from page one. We follow Michael a proffessional thief on his missions, but one mission goes a little awry, This book is all about a big heist where Michael gets caught up in a huge world full of drug lords, murder, and so many other things. The way this book was written has you wanting more and more, not to mention the level of action is top notch. If you want an edge of your seat thriller pick up this book!
Michael Mavin isn't having a good time. Not only did he get his throat slashed, but a drug cartel is on his case. If he doesn't steal what they want, his family will get killed. Michael is a charming character, even though he is a thief. A good holiday read, plot and twists well done. Recommended.
Safecracker A Novel by Ryan Wick is an intense action novel. But let me tell you what sold me on this book...literally about fell out of my seat after reading the first chapter. It was so good I read it again! This is a debut novel?? Writing so crisp you can hear the splatter of blood when it.. oh wait, I do not want to ruin it for you but it is good. It gets better too, so don't think its all about the first chapter.

A heist gone bad, a vicious mercenary who is out to kill Michael Maven, now mafia against mafia with Maven in the middle... I really can't say too much more because I do not want a single spoiler to ruin your day but I am dying to talk about this book!! Just know that I really enjoyed it, highly recommend it, respect the writing and am eagerly awaiting more from Ryan Wick!!!

Little confusion as I believe the updated release date was last week on August 11, 2020 but was originally to be published December 25, 2021.. so not quite sure when it is coming out!

Thank you to NetGalley and author Ryan Wick for this temporary, digital advance review copy for me to read and devour constantly until I got to the very end! As always, my reviews are voluntary and my opinions are my own.
I love watching movies about bank / art / jewel heists. It really gets the adrenaline pumping through this ol’ body. This book was the equivalent in writing. It was fast paced and had me seriously concerned about how the job was going to be pulled off and would my man, the safecracker, live to see another day. These concerns, coupled with my own (my husband catching me reading instead of priming the walls), made for a pulse-racing read.  ⁣
⁣
Michael, an expert safecracker, is given an ultimatum - retrieve an item from the safe of a crime boss or find himself 10 feet under. He is paired with a group of fellow criminals to get the job done. It will require perfect execution and complete trust that each person will complete their component of the plan. Easier said than done when one of those individuals is an expert assassin and has made two attempts on your life.  I mean, I don’t know about you, but I might offer to be a bench warmer for this one.  ⁣
⁣
If you’re looking for a book like is a quick read and requires little to no concentration, this here is your ticket.  It comes out December 25, 2021!⁣
⁣
⁣#netgalley #stmartinspress #thomasdunnebooks #thriller #suspense #bookreview #goodreads #bookrecommendation #bookstagramreview #booksofig #thriller #suspensethriller #debutnovel #booksinbed #booksofsummer #thrillerbooks #🇨🇦bookenablers #sloane_reads #torontoreads #canadianreader #booksbooksandmorebooks #booksbooks #booksbooksbooks📚
Safecracker was action and adventure at its best. Micheal, the main character, is always living in an intense state. Either commuting a crime or being hunted by people who want to kill him. Although character development wasn’t a big part of the story, you learn enough to really care what happens to quite a few of the characters. I really hope to read a sequel that explains more about Michaels father!
Truly enjoyed this fast paced heist story, the characters, and looking forward to the possibility that Ryan Wick turns this title into an ongoing series.