Safecracker

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 02 Jun 2020

Super fast rollercoaster, high charged - never slows down. Love this sort of "must read in one sitting" sort of book.
Do you like honored, charming thief stories? Nope, I’m not talking about Robin Hood or box office disaster of Taron Egerton (thankfully he got rid of tight pants and wore more colorful clothes to be a rocketman!) And of course I’m not talking about Steve Mc Queen’s Thomas Crown (and my grey cells already erased the images of Pierce Brosnan’s Thomas Crown) I’m talking about a brand new hero: Here comes MICHAEL MAVEN: This man hates women beaters, unnecessary violence and lives with ethical rules.

We have a safecracker, charismatic thief on our menu: not so slowly cooked, fast paced, full of action, gore, grim and violent parts at your service.
He is a thief but he has principles. He never hurts people and one day, he’s hired to steal rare coin, he hears owner of the coin and a very attractive woman are coming into the apartment. So he hides himself into closet.
And surprise, the very attractive woman is also femme fatale and very dangerous killer. She kills the man and wants the coin for herself.
Poor charming thief runs for his life but puts himself very deadly position and of course all of his loved ones are also in great danger now! This means he has to accept very thrilling job to crack a notorious cartel boss’ safe in Miami.

Aren’t you still interested? Come on, it’s really fast pacing and entertaining reading! I visualized this as another sequel of Mission Impossible! Maybe Tom Cruise should be retired and John Krasinski takes over this role (with the very big height difference) We need a real action star because we don’t have a regular thief! We have super human, ultra lucky man who defeats grim reaper so many times! He can really kick asses, dodging bullets, saving his throat from being slushed and deals with very inhuman wild creatures (the worst kind of bad men you may hardly imagine)

I didn’t expect something masterpiece or a big espionage, great scheme! This was easy, fast, riveting, entertaining page-turner! I insist it should be turned into a movie! The cliffhanger at the end was a smooth touch. So it deserves my four satisfying, heart throbbing, thrilling stars.

Special thanks to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for sharing this great thriller ARC COPY in exchange my honest review.
Wow this was a great debut novel.  Fast paced and action packed, it had me captivated. I
Look forward to more of this author’s work.
Many thanks to St. Martin’s Press and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
Professional thief Michael Maven has his throat cut in the first chapter.  Let me revise—the *first-person narrator* of this novel describes having his throat cut in the first chapter.  So pace is pretty much not going to be a problem in this book, and we are going to be very close to the action.  The reader is also fairly warned by the opening that this story is not going too be for the squeamish.  The action kept my interest, even if this thief-protagonist lacked the charisma and humor of Lawrence Block’s Bernie Rhodenbarr, and the villains were a little too much like characters in a video game (the stunningly beautiful killer with the troubled past, the mafia bad guys, etc.).  I would have preferred more subtly drawn, interesting characters to go with all the action.

Thanks to Netgalley and St. Martin’s Press for a digital advance review copy.
Always root for the GOOD guy except when the BAD guy is not the WORST guy! Michael Maven has made a career out of his very in depth planning of  GET IN - GET IT TAKEN - and GET IT CASHED IN and stashed away for another day.  My Kindle was on Fire with the intense jittery heat of what happens when in the middle of a heist; Michael is forced to hide in a closet and watch events unfold that threaten his future and those of his friends!  VERY Violent events are described so be forewarned!!  "A copy of this book was provided by St. Martin's Press via NetGalley with no requirements for a review. Comments here are my honest opinion." AWAIT WHAT THIS AUTHOR OFFERS NEXT!!
A high paced thriller. Michael is a thief. He has loved the thrill of opening safes since he was a boy. He makes some unfortunate choices about who he robs with serious consequences. The opening chapter sees him have his throat slit!!! There are some particularly revolting scenes which if you are squeamish are best avoided. He is coerced into cracking the safe of a cartel boss and everything falls apart. He has to work with the assassin who twice tried to kill him. High paced with lots of detail this book will keep you gripped.
Action at 90mph, with suspense that doesn't let up.  Characters are well-drawn and the plot is diabolically believable.  Mr. Wick did an excellent job of keeping my attention riveted for hours on end.  Highly recommended.
Even if the story was well written and exciting, I think this kind of thrillers are not my cup of tea. But I enjoyed it and it's good for a debut novel. If you like this kind of thrillers, definitely go for it!
4.5 OOOOOOOh this was good Stars
This had everything going for it from the very first page. Fast-paced and smart plotting. A safecracker who has his target and then is interrupted by the guy coming home with a woman...Looks like they are going to do the horizontal mambo and then Bam She kills the guy...Bad enough but then she is about to steal his coin he came for...

Well, from this point, our guy is in deep...Cartels, Bad Guys, threats and figuring out how to survive.
Enjoyed the read.
Had I started this book earlier in the day on Saturday, I would have easily blazed through it by bedtime. My first five star read of 2020!

This book combines action, suspense, crime, and humor in a believable and thrilling plot. I look forward to seeing where the series goes next because there is quite a lot to unpack here.

Copy given in exchange for my honest review from net galley.
Born to be a thief? What else do you choose to do in life when as a child, your mom teaches you to crack safes? When your dad is serving time for his thievery? Michael has learned these lessons well and now his life and the lives of close friends and family members depends on it. He might just succeed, but it is doubtful he would both succeed and come out of this situation alive. After all, everyone knows not to come between drug lords.

A rare coin is at the center of this story and how the decision to take on this theft could be the last theft he ever attempts. A good story worth 4 stars. Thank you NetGalley for an advance reader copy in exchange for an honest opinion.
A very interesting first novel., with a very unusual protagonist in the genre. A promising new name in the crime thriller genre.
This one moved too slow for me.  If felt like it was lacking in action and stakes to make me want to follow the story closer.
Fans of the crime thriller (as I am) will appreciate my giving this work 4 stars. Nobody gets 5 from me because that's reserved for the next Hemingway. "Safecracker" is not a work of literary merit but it's a damn good, punchy,
accelerated, somewhat gory tale. If this is Ryan Wick's debut then we have a lot to look forward to from a very capable new author. I have a gut feeling that we are going to hear more of protagonist Michael Maven, burglar extraordinaire, martial arts master and all round maverick. He is, however, a tad chaste in this episode for some reason known only to his creator.
Thanks to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for the opportunity to review this book.
This is a fast paced and exciting read. The characters are well developed and interesting.  The ending suggests a sequel and I will look forward to reading it. Thank you Netgalley and St. Martin’s Press for the opportunity to read a review this ARC.
Such a great book!  I am now in love with a thief!  If you are a fan of  Gregg Hurwitz and his Orphan X series then you will love Ryan Wick's new series!
Fast-paced and action-packed, Safecracker is one hell of a suspenseful heist novel!

Beginning with a bang - I mean, that opening line hooks you right in - and it does not stop, or ease up, until the end. And even then, I’ve been left wanting more. Thankfully, I read on the author’s Goodreads profile that he intends it to be a series, because the story cannot end that way.

Safecracker is incredibly visual, full of deviant characters with somewhat of a conscience/moral code that you want to cheer for, and is well-written, albeit a little over-descriptive at times. Most of all, it was fun. So very few non-humour books are fun to read these days. This one is.

Many thanks to Ryan Wick, St. Martin’s Press, and NetGalley for the opportunity to read an arc of this book in exchange for an honest review. I very much look forward to continuing the series!
Hi Everyone!
I know it’s been such a long time since I’ve written a review. I could blame that on adulting, the weather and eating too much on Thanksgiving but none of that would be true. I wasn’t feeling very inspired lately. Until I received a book from Netgalley that was able to light my fire, pun intended. So let’s get into it!
Synopsis
In this wicked debut, safecracker Michael Maven must pull off the most dangerous theft of his long career—or his friends and family will be killed.
Safecracker Michael Maven’s latest job should be simple: steal a rare coin from a New York apartment. But when the coin’s owner comes home with a beautiful woman, who then murders him, Maven realizes his mission won’t be so easy. And once the woman tries to take the coin for herself, Maven’s forced into action. While he narrowly escapes being killed himself, Maven’s then coerced by the woman’s boss, a sadistic drug lord, into a far more complicated and dangerous job.
If Maven fails to crack the safe of a rival cartel boss in Miami, his friends and family will die. If he succeeds, they still might. Which means he not only has to somehow pull off an impossible heist, but also outwit two crime bosses as well as the woman, his reluctant new partner.
Ryan Wick hits the right combination in Safecracker, unlocking a fast-paced, action-packed, cinematic thriller that fans of the genre won’t want to miss.
My Review
I knew I would love this book the minute I started reading it. Michael Maven doesn’t act ashamed to be a thief. He is blunt, self-aware and does not play games when it comes to knowing his surroundings. Except once where he might become too comfortable in a certain establishment. There’s almost a sense of pride in his occupation of choice. He has a job to do that seems relatively easy given his certain set of skills. However, a strikingly beautiful woman who can fight like she’s in the octagon makes his job a bit harder.
This is Ryan Wick’s debut novel but it is power-packed from beginning to end.
Safecracker lives up to its description as fast-paced.
I rate this book 5 out 5 stars.
* I received a complimentary copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.
This was a past-faced, extremely well written book. It started with a bang in Chapter 1 and just never slowed down. My only regret - that the story didn't continue!!
Michael Maven is a thief, and a very good one. He's a nice guy with an aversion to violence, a moral center, and a host of interesting friends.When he gets his throat cut and almost bleeds out on the floor of his best friend's bar, you might be tempted to sigh - the first two chapters were so good - but you don't, because you already care about the hero if this fast-paced narrative. By the time he realizes that his attacker is the same woman he watched pull off the job he was in the middle of doing and murder the man whose safe he had just cracked, they've both been forced by the cartel boss she works for to be unwilling partners in a heist they'll die if they don't pull off - an d probably be killed if they do. This is one of the fastest, freshest capers I've read in months, and Wick sets up Michael's next adventure nicely in the final paragraph.