Red Menace

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Jan 2020

Earc from netgalley

I liked the cover of this book, it definitely made me interested enough to pick up the book. The story itself was okay, it kind of lagged in places, but overall it was good.
I really enjoyed this book. It is about a boy in America during the Cold War and parts are based on the true story of the Rosenbergs. I knew very little about this period of history and so found it very interesting and have since gone on to read more about the circumstances surrounding the Rosenbergs and what happened to them.
We'll be adapting this book into a unit study about the 1950s and McCarthyism for high school students.  While the book itself is good for both middle and high school levels, the content gets heavy at times and is fairly mature in its nature - hence adapting to an upper level novel study.  It incorporates much of the history from that era - both political and pop culture (lots of Yankees baseball here!) into a very relatable story about a young boy whose family happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.  The ending was a nice twist!