Cover Image: The German Heiress

The German Heiress

If you loved reading The Alice Network  & The Lost Girls of Paris, you are going to love this book!!! Another book I could not put down!!!
I read a lot of novels about WWII and always find it very interesting to find one from the German perspective.
The war has been over for two years and the allied forces are busy trying to find war criminals to prosecute. Germany is still in disarray with people struggling to find food and shelter so it's fairly easy to hide from the authorities with a fake identification card. Margarete Muller is the fake name that Clara Falkenberg is using to try to return home. During the war, she ran her family ironworks company and used forced labor and inhumane practices to make cars and planes. As she returns home to find her best friend, she is also realizing how many people she hurt during the war and beginning to question her actions She always felt that she had done her best to protect her workers but the world saw her differently. Was she a cruel inhumane person, only concerned with increasing her family's wealth or was she compassionate and caring and just caught up in family's legacy? This is an excellent novel about someone making a personal journey and trying to make sense of their past while they strive for a better life in the future. It's an extremely well researched novel about love and family, acceptance and betrayal and forgiveness and redemption.
I really enjoyed this one! Set in post WWII Germany it tells the story of Clara who was called the Iron Fräulein during the war and used as a poster child for the Nazi Party. Now 2 years after the war had ended she is hiding from the Americans and looking for her lost friend. I loved that this story was set in Germany after the war and dealt with the issues that so many Germans dealt with. It is easy to just lump all of them into the Nazi Party but in reality that was not the case. I would highly recommend this to anyone who loves a good WWII novel!

Thank you Netgalley and William Morrow publishing for providing me with an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
It’s funny how I tend to be drawn to books having something to do with WWII.  Even after I’ve read so many, I still want to know more and read more.  I especially am drawn to stories from a perspective that I haven’t read before.  The German Heiress tells Clara’s story in post WWII Germany.  This is a book that definitely makes you think about one’s motives and perhaps what would you do if this were you?  The German perspective isn’t always written about so I found it different and enjoyed Scott’s writing, especially with Clara’s growth as a character and wondering how it would end.  Recommend this book!
The German Heiress looks to be a fabulous book, but it just didn't capture my attention. As a book one really needs to be in the mood to read, hopefully I will try again in the future.
This book was so refreshing in its’ addressing of the impact of Hitler’s war on the citizens of Germany.  I think we often forget than young men in Germany were drafted to defend their country as were other country’s youth.
This book focuses on a German company that is forced into service for Hitler.  It also addresses Russian involvement, which we don’t often see.
Our main character is the daughter of that German company.  I must say at the beginning I was not her fan.
Without giving away any plots this was a very good book.  I gave it 4 Stars on Goodreads.
When a publicist at Harper Collins sent me an email asking if I'd like to read and review this book I immediately said yes. The cover appealed to me and World War II jumped out of the description making this book a must-read for me.

As soon as I began reading the book I was hooked. The main character, Clara Falkenberg, is complex. There is a mix of hardness to her and vulnerability. I found myself intrigued by her and throughout the course of the book felt myself understanding more and more her and the choices she made.

As for the other characters in the book, I thought Jakob was the perfect balance for Clara. He's her opposite in so many ways yet there are similarities too which made them a great match. I wasn't overly fond of Clara's mother, Anne. The author did a great job of creating different personalities for these characters and making them enjoyable and not so enjoyable.

The author does a fantastic job of telling Clara's story and keeps the story moving at a pace that kept my attention from beginning to end. I was shocked when I reached the end and discovered this was the author's debut novel. This book was written as if the author had several books under her pen. I liked her writing style and will definitely book on the lookout for future books by her.

If you are a fan of World War II novels then don't pass up this book. Well developed characters, a good story, and excellent writing made this book an enjoyable read. Happy reading!!
Well, this is marvellous, what an incredible debut! If I had read this without knowing beforehand that this was Anika’s first book then I wouldn’t have believed it – in fact even now I am still astounded – this is pure class
I have read a lot of books set in this era, n fact I was reading ww2 historical fiction before I found romance, there is something about this era which really captures the imagination especially when it is so flawlessly written like this is.
The majority of the book I have read has been focused more on the allies, the British, the French resistance and what happened during the war itself around Europe, it is so rare to find a book where the reader sees the story through the perception of Germans who were sort of stuck in the middle. I do think that certain aspects of that war have been lost in time, those stories have been left to fade into history – which is understandable with the horrors that happened during that bloody terrible war, but a little sad too that there are innocent voices who haven’t been heard. Thank goodness for gifted authors such as Anika Scott for bringing the voices of the likes of Clara Falkenberg to the ears of the world.
The German Heiress is an amazing book; full of intrigue, drama, danger, surprises, twists and turns, a beautifully constructed and daring plot which keeps you guessing throughout. I can guarantee you will be hooked from page one, and that you may end up reading the entirety of this book in one go. There are some unsettling and uncomfortable moments, but this is a WW2 novel so it’s to be expected.
Clara Falkenberg who was once destined to be the most sought after and wealthiest heiress of the biggest ironworks in all of Germany now is living under an alias after she fled her home and everything she knows as she was discovered sneaking extra rations into to help feed her workers, now she must live in the shadows in fear of her life and of the Nazi’s, she was helped by a friend; Elissa.
The war has been over for the last two years, Clara is no safer than she was before, she has returned to her home to find the truth about her families past, it is once arriving that she finds her much loved friends; Elissa has disappeared which starts off a journey of danger and discovery as she tries to find the answers to her burning questions, find her friends and try to evade capture from a ruthless British officer who thinks she is guilty of war crimes.
Clara is an interesting character, I was in two frames of mind about her though, in one moment I liked her for her bravery and trying to the right thing by feeding extra rations to the workers and then the next she is an untrustworthy war criminal, in those moments I desperately wanted to see justice done for those who couldn’t speak for themselves.
This book really pounds at the emotion, it is a complex mixture of feelings as you read. The plot isn’t taxing, it is very easy to read yet it does pull you in, it’s compelling reading. The writing is solid, there is a lot of research that has been put into this book.
I applaud Anika for writing such a gripping, engaging, thought-provoking and illuminating tale which certainly is set apart from all others that are set in this era. This is a stunning debut, and I know from the quality of this book Anika Scott with have a long and successful writing career and I personally cannot wait to read more from her.
This was a complimentary copy via the publisher, which I voluntarily and honestly reviewed. Thank you, Bianca, at Harper Collins / Willam Morrow
The war was in its last months, the last bloody crescendo. They were all going mad one way or another

In so many historical fiction books on World War II, you have your pick and rightfully so on the Jewish aspect so I always enjoy reading on the German aspect. Maybe it's my German heritage, knowing that it is never always black and white why people do what they do or don't do. Clara is running from her identity and the authorities as the war is ending. She and her father or responsible for war crimes. Clara's father run an iron industry in Essen, Germany. Clara took over when her father was detained by the Allies for war crimes. This prose reminded me of Schindler's list as Clara begin to see the people oppressed. She goes on a journey trying to escape the allies where she meets Jakob a wounded German soldier who is not Nazi material who helps her despite of who she is. He sees something more in Clara that she does not know. Clara is on a quest to find her best friend and her son. It is in this search, she finds something more. Family secrets and the woman she was made to be.

A Special Thank you to Harper Collins Publishing and Netgalley for the ARC and the opportunity to post an honest review.
This is an interesting and different view of WW2 from the vantage point of the German business owners and citizens who were threatened to comply with Hitler’s army.

I had a bit of trouble getting going with this story. I’m not sure if I didn’t like what was happening or if the beginning didn’t flow to me. After I paced my way through those initial pages, the story ramped into high gear. I don’t want to issue any spoilers, but I was overwhelmed to see how the war had such an effect on everyone around. It was incredibly easy for people to be killed simply because someone said they were involved in a crime against the Reich. Businesses were forced to comply and use forced labor. After the war, people were left to live in bombed out houses and were in fear of the people who came to rescue them from the Nazi regime.

I read that this debut novel was meticulously researched. I couldn’t find what our author researched. I do not know if it is based on actual events or simply things that might or could have happened during this time. The writing is engaging and the story keeps you locked in. It’s definitely one that is hard to put down.
Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with a copy of The German Heiress in exchange for an honest review.

4.5 almost 5 stars for this exciting, engaging book about the aftermath of World War II and decisions that are made, and the consequences of those decisions. Clara Falkenberg is an interesting heroine...while the war was going on, she believed she was doing "all she could" to help the slave labor imported into her ironworks factory. But, did could she have done more? Was she able to help anyone? What did she willingly overlook? What was kept from her? These are just a few of the questions Clara is grappling with in the aftermath of World War II, on the run and hunted the British as a war criminal. Clara is desperate to find her friend and son, who she worries that she abandoned in her own desperate flight to avoid imprisonment. As she hides, she uncovers hard truths about her own past that makes her question her entire life, her hero-worship of her father, and the devastating consequences of what she imagined to be moral choices. Her evasion of the British officer who hunts her down (with his own questionable motives), was exciting and well-paced. It kept the pages turning!

The book is also filled with engaging secondary characters like Jakob, a former soldier turned black marketeer who is willing to help Clara for a payout that will help his own family. Max, a former lover who still loves her. Willy, the son of the friend she is searching for, and, she eventually realizes, family. And, her mother Anne, a British citizen who was an early convert to fascism, who has her own ambitions.

Set in post-war Germany, which is utterly destroyed, the book describes cities in ruins and citizens living in desperate conditions. So many WWII books focus on the war itself and the immediate aftermath, so it was interesting to read about Germany nearly two years after the war.

Interesting, fast-paced and engaging! I took half a star off for the somewhat unrealistic ending. But, definitely recommend it overall.
Oh, geez. I thought another WWII book with a female protagonist. There are so many coming out I'd almost decided to read no more of them. I am glad I changed my mind. This was excitedly different. Taking place after WWII, Clara is a well-developed character and her attempts to cover her past mistakes make for a exceptional book.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this novel, the writing kept me engaged from start to finish. Normally, I would not read this genre but decided to give it a try and I am happy I did.
This novel was a different view from other World War II historical fiction books I have read. The main character Clara Falkenberg was once an heiress to the Falkenberg Iron Works and is now living under an assumed name since the end of the war. The author writes an unusual perspective of post World War II about the defeated and humiliated Germans. Anika Scott does a skillful job of portraying the experiences of what it is like to be on the losing side of the war and choices people have to live within its aftermath. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys historical fiction.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
If you are looking for a pro-nazi book you might enjoy this thriller more than I did. Clara ran an ironworks factory in Essen during the war. Her father has been accused of being a war criminal and now the British are trying to capture her too. Knowing that the British are after her, inexplicably she decides to return to her home town, where they are sure to look. She wants to find her friend Elisa and Elisa’s 15 year old son Willy. In Essen she encounters Jakob, a former German soldier.

Willy was an unbalanced child and Jakob wasn’t too awful, so I didn’t loathe them, but everyone one else in the book was reprehensible. Hypocritically, they kept accusing each other of wrongdoing. Clara, in particular, had an unjustifiable superior attitude. I am just not interested in feeling sorry for nazis, and these weren’t even repentant. After being confronted with the consequences of her actions, Clara spent about 10 seconds on remorse and then returned to her self-justifications. I spent the whole book wanting the British to capture Clara and then at the horrible ending <spoiler>the British let her go </spoiler>. That definitely deducted a star from my rating. I am not the right audience for this book. This isn’t historical fiction in which you learn something. It’s more like propaganda.

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher.
This book was a bit of a struggle for me. I don't think Clara's work during the war, and therefore her own guilt and remorse, was every fully (or clearly) explained during the book, so it was difficult to really get into the "cat and mouse" aspect of the novel, when I didn't feel like I had all the details of why the chase was happening. (Maybe this is my sympathetic feelings towards Clara coming through?)

Additionally, unlike many WWII historical fiction novels, this book didn't have me in my feelings at all. I was upset for the characters when we learned of Elisa's passing, but didn't feel inspired, hopeful, torn or any of the usual emotions I do when reading similar books.

However, I did enjoy the various characters, their motivations, and the conclusion of the story; I think it came together nicely, without being too convenient or unbelievable. I wish we had a few chapters from Frenshaw's perspective, as I think that would have helped tell Clara's story with more clarity and nuance.
A captivating, thought provoking, beautifully written debut novel focusing on life in Germany post WWII.

The German Heiress is a thought-provoking story of Clara Falkenberg, an Iron Works heiress whose reputation during the war earned her the nickname “the Iron Fräulein.” The story is mostly in third person and takes place in Post WWll Germany, although there are times we are taken back in time to better understand what someone has been through to make them who they are today.

This story was truly captivating as I got to know each of the characters and what they had been through before, during, and after the war and just how much everything has shaped them. It was extremely eye opening to just how much many Germans had to do to survive in Nazi Germany and throughout the war, and doing what they could to help, without getting caught and killed themselves.

“But it’s done. We can’t change what we did in the past. We can only act differently now.”

There are some great examples in this book of how you can’t judge someone from outside appearances. Of how you can only do your best, and if you make mistakes, do your best to learn from them and do better. Of how you never truly know how you will react in a situation until you are actually in that situation yourself. Of how to be grateful for you DO have and not fill yourself with pity for what you have lost.

“She had disturbed something she wasn’t meant to see. That much she knew. The rest- who put it there, and why- she couldn’t fathom."

Ahh yes, and there are also some twists in this one. I do love my twisty stories 😉

Many thanks to Harper Collins/William Morrow, Anika Scott, and Netgalley for providing me with an ARC and the opportunity to share my honest, unbiased thoughts on this novel.
Oh my goodness! This is not the type of book I usually go for, but I thought why not give something different a try? And I am sooo glad I did! This book pulled me in from the very first sentence.  I was completely hooked on Clara's story and felt intense sympathy for her.  My only dislike was that I wanted more.  I was NOT ready for the book to end how it ended.
Favorite Quotes:

What a slippery thing conscience could be. It had driven her in two directions. To her father, with all the duties of family and work… And then she had been driven to help the workers, an act that put everything else at risk. One side of her conscience undermining the other. And still she had listened to both. She had thought she could do justice to both.

In Jakob’s experience, you had to watch the Tommies when they were being too nice. You never knew when they’d turn on you, remind you of what a Nazi you’d been, regardless of the truth. The Tommies would call you a lowly foreigner in your own country.

My Review:

She was called The Iron Fräulein, Clara Falkenberg was a curiously captivating and intriguing study of contrasts.  Her mother was British yet appeared far more fanatic about the Nazi agenda than her opportunistic German father.   Clara was the only daughter and the publicity darling for her wealthy family’s ironworks business, which made several more fortunes during the war using forced labor.  Clara was also the former Reich’s most eligible heiress and graced magazines on both sides of the ocean.  However, in post-war Germany, her notoriety worked against her.

This was my introduction to the powerful and emotive word voodoo of Anika Scott and wow, does this gal have some major skills!  The storylines were smartly crafted and absorbing, intricate, well scaffolded, intriguing, thoughtfully observant, and heart-squeezing while cast with a peculiar assortment of broken, flawed, complex, and often unlikable yet deeply compelling characters.  I felt conflicted yet totally engaged from start to finish.  And all this in a debut novel… the little pea in my brain just exploded.
Even though this was "another WWII" book, this one was different in that the premise was "what repercussions does a German citizen have after the war for what they did during the war".  The main character in this book tries to make amends  after the war for the part her family played in the war efforts.  I thought the book portrayed the feelings of the main character well - she struggles over her family's part in the world and their secrets.  Really enjoyed this book!