Member Review

Pub Date:

Review by

Erin K, Reviewer

My Recommendation

Finally, a suspense novel that actually offers something new! Nicola Maye Goldberg's book brought a fresh spin to this genre by having the story told by different people connected to (and ultimately affected by) a murder of a young college student. Each section feels like it's own short story, and Goldberg does this masterfully. The result is a real page-turner that kept me intrigued the entire time. It's not a who-dun-it by any means, but sometimes stories can be just as interesting when you already know the ending.

For some background, this book was essentially inspired by a true event, but Goldberg has changed the names so it's tough to know which real-life crime she's referring to. The novel follows the aftermath of the murder of Sara Morgan. The killer is her boyfriend who claims to be schizophrenic and on acid at the time of the murder and unaware of what he has done. He's found not guilty by reason of insanity and set free. But the ripple effect of this crime is felt by a huge number of people. Goldberg's characters range from Sara's sister to one of Sara's former babysitting charges. What was so impressive to me is that Goldberg was able to place the same amount of importance on each character - so no matter how far removed they were from the actual crime, their input still felt valuable and fascinating.

At the end of each section, I felt a small letdown that the reader isn't allowed to spend more time with that character. But I think this is actually the sign of a compelling read (and something that people often find issue with in short story-like prose). I hope Goldberg sticks to this kind of storytelling in her future work because it was crazy good!