Cover Image: Lovely War (SAMPLER)

Lovely War (SAMPLER)

Thank you to the publisher and to Netgalley for the advance copy of this book!

I loved this book. This book touched my heart! It was deep. The atmosphere was everything I wanted it to be. I loved the plot and storyline in the book. I loved the characters in this story. It gave me all the feels I was looking for when I started reading this. I highly recommend this author. The author did a fabulous job placing her feeling in this book. Excellent job. I loved the writing. I will be looking for other works in the future from this author.
This was just a sneak peek into the book, but I enjoyed what I read so much that I’m going to purchase the book to finish it!  The story sucked me in and I have to know how it continues.
Is anyone else getting tired of romances set during WWII? I thought I was, but Lovely War changed my mind. In a nutshell, it’s a sweet classic romance about two couples united by war told through the eyes of the gods. This plot device could have ended badly, but Julia Berry is so skilled. This is one of my favorite books of the year. It’s also the type of book where giving away too much detail might take away from the joy of discovery, so I recommend readers dive right in.
I expected this book to be more a romance than anything else (which, don't mistake me, it is). But it was much more action packed than I thought it would be. In the sense that the book kept me on the edge of my seat. I usually don't enjoy when the narrative goes back and forth between point of views but Julie Berry structured it perfectly. I loved the racial diversity which I didn't expect either. But most importantly, it made me tear up a little. It does not happen often.

This book is solid and very poetic and the addition of the Gods was genius and did not disappoint. Highly recommend.
I thought this book was going to be something along the lines of The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah, except during World War I.  The whole Greek Gods inclusion really made it hard for me to take get on board with it.  I think if Greek Mythology is something you enjoy, this could definitely be a good read.  I just couldn't get past Aphrodite telling the story.
This story definitely had a promising start. I feel like my review would be incomplete at best since the galley I received was only a sneak peek for some reason. I did enjoy the start of the story, a budding romance set in the backdrop of the First World War. It was interesting point of view to have the story unfold in the eyes of Aphrodite, the Goddess of Love. If I can get around to reading this novel in its entirety I can expand this review. Thank you to Netgalley for the sneak peek.
Wow! I was really into this until I realized I couldn't read it anymore. I'm not sure how deep the Gods'  involvement goes with this love story but I can't wait to see. I downloaded this title from my library and I will post a full review on Goodreads when I finish it. I may check out the audiobook as well to get through it faster. Thanks for the excerpt and stay tuned for the full review!
“You’re a brand-new piece of sheet music, for a song which, once played, I’d swear I’d always known.”

can’t remember last time I felt so touched like when I was reading this book 🥺, I’m speechless.
It's an interesting take to include the perspective of the goddess of love as the narrator of a historical fiction tale. For some, it might be muddled a bit, but it'll take reading the full book to know for sure.
I received the sneak peek of Lovely War for review. I loved it! I read it so quickly and I cannot wait to read the entire thing. It's not often that I come across historical YA fiction and I think it is wonderful. Rating is based on sneak peek alone.
The premise of this book is really fascinating. Two love stories being told by Greek Gods, wouldn't you be so curious? Since this is just a sneak peek it's quite difficult to give a review, but I could totally say that the writing is great. I can't wait to read this book and see what happens.

Thanks Netgalley for a sample copy in exchanged for an honest feedback.
I was given the opportunity to read a sample from NetGalley. Upon reading the synopsis of this book I was intrigued, but worried because I typically try to stay away from any books that have to do with history or war. Boy was I surprised when I dove into the sample. The fact that this book is told by Greek goddess Aphrodite blew my mind. I've never read something so unique and intruiging. I've already purchased the full book, I'm just waiting for it to come in the mail! I'll edit my review once I complete it to see if I change my mind about this book.
A love story set during WWI told from the different perspectives of the Greek Gods (Aphrodite, Apollo, Ares and Hades). Aphrodite tells tales of her best work (love stories of course!) The casualties of Aeres' exploits (war) are welcomed into the afterlife by Hades. This is an enthralling, sweeping love story that's a must read for historical fiction aficionados.
I've seen this book all over blogs and bookstagram and was excited to get my hands on it but I was left a little disappointed. It was an interesting take (with the storytelling POV of Greek Gods and Goddesses) but it felt too long.
This is a super interesting premise, and I’m liking forward to reading the rest of the book. This is unlike any other historical fiction bills
I'm blown away by how amazing this book truly is. It's more than a romance, more than a war book, more than racial division. This book is everything and the writing was done with such grace, compassion, anger, and love
I initially loved the concept of the book when I read the blurb. I am a huge fan of mythology and I loved that the characters in the book were Greek gods. Once I started reading though, I got lost. The storyline wasn't clear- it was like I was reading two separate stories that were desperately trying to connect somewhere. The mythology piece felt forced. The human romance was sweet, though. If you skip the parts where the gods are talking it's not so bad.
It's a shame because there was potential here, it just wasn't executed very well.
I loved this book SO much. I listened to the entire book on audio but I downloaded this excerpt to read some of the beginning again. I can't wait to re-read it for years to come.
The fact that this book was narrated by greek gods left me WOWED. I was seriously so surprised I just stared at the words on my screen for a second. First of all, this approach is so unique and I feel gives the story a more connectable vibe. I have always been a sucker for Greek Mythology and I won't stop now.

I was left saddened and that makes sense because I cry ALOT during books. ( out of empathy I guess ) but I seriously cried more than 10 times. Now that I think about it, more then I can even count.

I feel like the Greek Gods native makes this book attractive to young adult readers but also gives an appeal to adult readers for the stunningly complex components of the book and the depth of the story and plotline.

I love how in-depth the author goes into Word War II and I really got connected to the characters and their behaviors and got swept into this beautiful story and everything in it.

The romance, however, is extremely fast-paced, which I get, because they wanted to make the best out of their lives ( it was possible that they would die. ) So I'll excuse the book for that, it added to the realistic element of the book.

It was definitely easy to get lost in the book, and I really enjoyed it! ( Thanks so much for NetGalley and the publisher for providing me a free copy in exchange for an honest review )
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for this excerpt

It’s hRd to give a rating for a book just on an excerpt, but this excerpt definitely left me wanting to read the novel so I guess that’s a good thing !

For the excerpt I will give it 4 stars .. the book I still need to get my hand on to finish !