Cover Image: The Day I Disappeared

The Day I Disappeared

More women’s fiction than a true thriller but I liked the suspense aspect here. I’m always drawn to stories with complex mother and daughter relationships and this one was good
I love the cover of this novel and the inside. "The Day I Disappeared" is an suspenseful novel by Brandi Reeds. A page turner for sure.
This just didn’t end up being a book that interested me. When I first read the premise, I was very excited and invested, but getting into it made it clear that it just wasn’t for me. Hopefully it works for others out there!
This was a good mystery book. The story line kept my attention. I would definitely read other books by this author in the future.
This was a fun mystery, but it was very predictable. The premise is fascinating, a girl gets kidnapped from a park, only to be returned a few months later. So when the same thing happens 20 years later, who better to help than Holly?
Great book! Grabbed me from the very beginning and didn't let me go, I stayed up waaaay too late to finish it as I absolutely couldn't put it down.

I have to say I had predicted the twist from the beginning, but it didn't stop my enjoyment of the book at all.

Will definitely be reading more from this author.
Not a story that will light fires! An overused plot about missing girls, and not very engaging or page turning. Perhaps one of those books that gets written fast rather than a book crafted and thought about.
Four year old Holly Gebhardt was kidnapped, yet returned three months later to the same park from which she was taken. Despite a lack of witnesses, including Holly herself, a local handyman ends up being convicted of the crime. Twenty years later, another girl goes missing under similar circumstances. Turning to Holly for help, will the police be able to nudge the young woman into remembering what happened all those years before?

The author spent so much time trying to trick the reader into following the red herrings that the plot suffered. The present timeline, with Holly's mother suffering injury from an accident, seemed to exist only to introduce the past events. The side plots did nothing to enhance the story, muddying the waters so that the reader did not guess the culprit of the crimes committed. I am a big reader of mystery thrillers, but The Day I Disappeared fell woefully short. For these reasons, I would be hesitant to recommend The Day I Disappeared to other readers.

Disclaimer: I was given an Advanced Reader's Copy of The Day I Disappeared by NetGalley and the publisher, Lake Union Publishing. The choice to review this book was entirely my own.
Interesting premise, pulls you in from the first chapter. Told in alternate voices, transitioning from present  day Holly and glimpses from the past from her mom, Cecily. Sure, Holly survived a childhood kidnapping but at what cost? And does she know something now, years later, that can help locate a missing child?
Holly is kidnapped and then returned at the age of 4, with no memory of any of it. A handyman was convicted but there was some suspicion on hollys mom as well.
Even though this book was very predictable, I still enjoyed reading it. I wanted to keep reading to see if what I thought was going to happen, actually happened.
Some side parts got wrapped up pretty quickly and I don’t like that in books.
This was my first read from this author and I will check out more from her.
This is not necessarily a bad book, but is, at its core, so formulaic, that I honestly cannot give any more than two stars. I just can't. It's a mystery about missing girls, and I honestly couldn't care. I think the writing was just not compelling enough and the plot felt more like ticking boxes than moving forward organically.

While writing this review, I actually had to check the protagonist's name. Yeah. That's how much we got to know her. She had a bit of "one-of-the-guys" vibe about her, with her working in construction, and drinking whiskey, and not feeling at ease at her best friend's pre-wedding events among the other guests. And now that I mentioned the "best friend"... I am sorry but this is just not how best friends work. From the very first chapter I hated the way this friendship was shown, and I was kind of hoping Kitten would be somehow involve in the main mystery, as a way to explain why she is that awful to Holly. Seriously, I don't understand how or why we were supposed to care about this friendship.

To be honest, same goes for all characters and relationships in this book. I think the most compelling character is Cecily, Holly's mum, even if she wasn't properly utilized as a character either. Overall, the mystery and plot were fairly straightforward and nothing unique, and the characters were entirely forgettable. I also really really the "twist" at the end, and it almost felt like an attempt on the author's part to justify Holly's attitude at the beginning.
I enjoyed #TheDayIDisappeared and didn’t guess the twist.

Holly was abducted at 4 years old and returned unharmed 3 months later. Now, as an adult, she must try to remember her ordeal to help save another little girl who is missing and may have been taken by the same man.

Fast paced, I read this in one sitting.

Thanks to #NetGalley and the publisher for my free advance copy in return for an unbiased review.
Anytime you give me a missing child who is returned without any feedback on where they have been, I'm in for the ride.  Ms. Reed provides good mystery, though you have to stick out the story through the less engaging parts.
A slow moving story that has some twist and turns although it was a bit predictable.  It kept me entertained and wanting to read more. This is my first book by this author and I would be interested in seeing what else she writes.
Thank you to Netgalley, the publisher, and Brandi Reeds for this 🌟🌟🌟🌟 star book in exchange for this honest review. I enjoyed it tremendously and definitely a must read!
I liked this one, Had a well written plot and kept me engaged from page one, the characters were well thought out and relatable, I didn’t guess the twist, and was reading well into the night. Can't wait to see what the author brings out next, would recommend for sure.
Interesting premise, well executed. Although it was very predictable I did enjoy reading it, but I do think I have maybe read too many thrillers to be surprised any more.
This is a tense, exciting book, the type that has your heart in your mouth throughout the read. As Holly remembered more and more about her ordeal I was almost breathless with anticipation. The truth when it finally came out left me stunned. A really strong read.
I don't love multiple POV-type books and I like them even less when I'm unable to tell one character from the next. I often got confused because the voices were so similar.
A uniquely written story that is full of suspense and intrigue from the start.
The plot is well structured and keeps the reader engrossed throughout.
I really liked how this story brought the characters - mother and daughter especially - together, in order to try and solve this mystery.
The characters were realistic and relatable, and their personalities added extra depth to an already fascinating story!.