Cover Image: The Day I Disappeared

The Day I Disappeared

The book was a bit confusing in the beginning to hold grasp of what was going. Not until after Holly visits her mother in the hospital did it start getting more clearer on what was happening and that maybe her mom knew what was going on. I couldn't believe who it was that really took her, never in a million years would I have thought the outcome of this book. Great book and have already recommended it to family and friends.
Overall I enjoyed this book, although I felt it was a bit hard to get through in parts, the pace picked up towards the end. I'd definitely read books by this author again, as it kept my interest for the most part. The story flowed pretty well. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to read!
From the moment I picked this book up, I couldn’t put it down! The story was so compelling, the characters so interesting. I love a thriller that takes you on a journey, and this one did exactly that.

The book alternates between two POVs, that of Holly and that of her mother. Holly was kidnapped at a young age, gone for a little more than three months before being returned relatively unscathed. Her mother, Cecily, narrates her part through her thoughts as she lies in a coma after an accident.

What makes this story so intriguing is that neither narrator is entirely reliable. Holly’s memories are almost nil, just bits and pieces and shards of visions that may or may not be real. And Cecily is an alcoholic in a coma whose memories may or may not be altered from years of abusing alcohol.

The story is given in bits and pieces, with hints and implications that keep the reader hooked. My favorite thrillers do exactly that, keep me dangling on the hook, wondering time and time again where the story is going. There were so many times that I was certain I’d picked out the bad guy, only to discover I was completely wrong.

However, there was one character that I just detested, and she wasn’t even the villain of the story. Kitten, Holly’s best friend, who’d been with Holly in the park the day she’d been abducted. She was just thoroughly unlikable. She was arrogant and condescending, a bridezilla to the point of insanity. She was the queen of making everything all about her, even Holly’s abduction. She was the least supportive best friend I’ve ever seen. The skeptical best friend was a great counterpoint to Holly and good for the story, but I just thought she was a little too much.

If you love twisty mysteries and intriguing thrillers, this is a fantastic read!
Little four years old Holly is kidnapped and then returned home. Unharmed and with no memory what happened. First suspect is her mother.
Twenty years later another child is kidnapped and Holly tries to find answers.

A slow moving story that has some twist and turns.
I always enjoy a good returned kidnapping story and this one didn't disappoint. It was a little lightweight in parts but I felt like the pacing was there and the flash backs to 20 years earlier actually made sense and fit into the book nicely. I feel like some books are trying to shoehorn in a non-linear plot but this really worked. A fast read for a time when a lot of us are distracted by the news.
Twenty years ago, four year old Holly, went missing. She was returned 3 months later, unharmed and had no memory of what happened. The local handyman was convicted and suspicion has always been that her mother was somehow involved.

Holly is now an adult who has received a call from a police detective. Another girl has gone missing and he thinks the wrong person might be in jail. Holly starts to research other missing girls and trying to put the pieces of her past in place. Can she trust anyone around her?

During this time her mother is run off the road while driving Hollys car. Is it a coincidence or was someone trying to finish the job that they started?? As Holly starts digging into her past more she starts to have flashes of memory. What is real?

This is a well written book. I enjoyed the characters and the storyline.
Thank you to NetGalley, Brandi Reeds and Lake Union Publishing Seattle for allowing me to read a review copy of the book.

I was very pleasantly surprised by the craft and structuring of this book. Reeds very deftly kicks the whole expectation of cliché storytelling out the window right from the start, and we get a fresh take on the missing child genre. The story flows, characters evolve, and we are wonderfully present and experiencing every sensory detail and aspect of this book. I read way beyond the time I'd set for reading and finished this in very little time. Worth your time and worth recommending to your friends. You'll be thinking about this story for long after you're through.
I liked this book but it wasn't my favorite. The characters were decently developed but I never really connected with the main character, Holly. It was interesting to see the development of the relationship between Holly and her mother. I think the story had a good plot but was a little weak in spots. Pretty good but not my favorite.  Thanks!
Great start for a new author; a bit of a hard slog at times but picked up the pace towards the end. Looking forward to the next book by Brandi. Thank you for the opportunity to read and review.
A little girl is abducted whilst playing with her friend, the two mothers are chatting just there. It is in broad daylight and very bold. There is a difference however, this little girl is returned unharmed physically 92 days later. Slightly different to other child kidnappings we hear about.

The family of course are the first suspects - the mother on the road to ruin by drink, the father does not know what to do to keep the family together, at the same time having a long term affair with the lady next door, both spouses know of their partners infidelity and do not want to bring it into the open and we have the children involved who are the victims here.

Fast forward twenty years and a similar case crops up and now detectives ponder whether the man serving the prison sentence is innocent. Is this a copycat case or is someone just continuing the work started twenty years ago. Eleven little girls missing, some found, some not all dressed in the same way when found eerily similar.

The story goes in chapter form from one character to another - each of their stories is a story in itself and all center around Holly's abduction and return. The actual links appear very slowly and only at the end.

A different kind of mystery story.
Thank you Net Galley & Lake Union Publishing for this eARC in exchange for an honest review.
WOW.  Talk about a book the grabs your attention and holds on with dear life.  Just like the main character, Holly Gebhardt, I kept pointing my finger at EVERY.SINGLE. PERSON. IN. THIS BOOK.
 So let's try and recap this book a bit.  You are first reading the prologue- which pretty twisted in itself.  A big brother is supposed to watch his sister, ends up going night fishing... sister ends up turning up dead... he was blamed and beaten by his father....
Then author Brandi Reeds fast forwards to when Holly is a 29 year old woman; and it's 24 years past her abduction.  Good thing for her is, her kidnapper is behind bars and has been since he was convicted.  Bad things?  A detective reaches out to her;  basically saying ' we may not have caught the right guy'.  There seem to be other girls who were taken and none of them sadly had the same outcome of returning home that Holly did.
When Holly hears about and see Skyler , the latest missing child, she decides it's time to confront her past and try and remember.  Seriously this girl mind had me thinking everyone could be the true kidnapper; because there came a point where its crystal clear; they may have locked up the wrong sicko.
Brandi Reeds had me on the edge throughout this whole book.  I trusted no one.  Honestly I still think a few people deserve a deeper look.  I almost wish this was part of a series so I could read about the aftermath; because let me tell you.  I would love to be a fly on the wall when ALL the secrets are out.
A real page turner and it will keep you hooked to the end.  A dark plot that will captivate you and surprise you.   A really good read.
Thanks to NetGalley, publisher and author for allowing me to have a copy of this book to review. Unfortunately I did not love this story. I did not like the author's narration style.  I could not get past the language used. It did not grab my attention. I don't like to post negative reviews. I still look forward and I'm open to this author's next book.
I don’t like to give synopsis’s for thrillers! However, this involves kidnapping, my favorite! I thought I was going to love & fly through this book but that was not the case. It took me 10 days to finish it because it was so boring at times and dragged. I found myself skimming through most of the time. It was also predictable. However, at times it was entertaining! Unfortunately, I will not be buying a copy of this book.

Thank you to NetGalley & Lake Union Publishing for the advanced copy!
Where to begin!

This book was really good. This book takes a journey between two families, and how a kidnapping of a small child gets intertwined into both. The plot was different and engaging.
Holly, four years old, was playing with her friend Katherine in the park when abducted and presumed dead. Three months later she was returned to the same park dressed in a pristine white nightgown, with no memory of her time in captivity.
Twenty years later,  Holly is attending Kitten (Katherine) and Eliot's bridal shower when detective Jason Guidry contacts her. He has been assigned her case. Not understanding why her case is still open when she knows her kidnapper Alan Kohlbrook is in jail, she questions why he has called her.
"Look, Miss Gebhardt, you're here alive and well, and Alan Kohlbrook is in prison, but we have another case with similarities."
Googling on the internet Holly finds out a five-year-old child is missing, blonde with blue eyes, closely resembling her at the same age.
Haunted that she can't remember such a critical time in her life,
Holly decides to start looking for answers.
For her mom, dad, and close friends, however, moving on is more laborious. Each is holding onto secrets about the day Holly went missing, secrets that could blow their families apart.

The plot is similar to others I have read, a young woman with demons, handsome but possibly untrustworthy boyfriends, family relationships and secrets. However, I enjoyed the storyline, and I was kept guessing by all the red herrings, and I didn't anticipate the ending, which made the book so much more enjoyable.

I want to thank NetGalley,  Lake Union Publishing and author Brandi Reeds for a pre-publication copy to review.
Wow! This was a twisted story in every way. I enjoyed the story but it really bothered me that Holly and her mother both appear to having a drinking problem. Lots of secrets in this book! Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the early copy
Holly was kidnapped when she was four years old. She was returned to her family but has no memory of what happened.
Now another child has disappeared in similar circumstances.
A slow moving story that has some twist and turns.
Thank you to NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
The perfect whodunit story. When Holly was 4 years old she was kidnapped. Now, 20 years later another girl goes missing with a lot of similar evidence. Throughout the story, Holly is trying to piece together what happened 20 years ago because she can't remember a single thing. One day she was kidnapped, the next she's back with her family. The whole time she was kidnapped is a black out to her. This book left me guessing until the very end! I really really LOVED this book!!!!
This was a great mystery novel. I found it hard to get into at first, but it really came through towards the end. Great twists and kept me guessing.