Cover Image: The Thursday Murder Club

The Thursday Murder Club

A group of elderly care home residents while away the hours trying to solve cold cases on Thursday afternoons.  When a present day crime comes to their attention, they put their skills to good use.  This is one of the most wonderful mysteries I've read in a long time.  Charming, witty, and intricately plotted.
This was a wonderful and intriguing story.

The Thursday Murder Club meets in the Jigsaw Room once a week. There they delve into cold cases left by a former member of their group who had been an officer. They so dearly want to solve a case that the police couldn't, and end up finding themselves in a real case. Full of delightful characters who all tell part of the story as it goes, and with twists that none of the characters seem to miss. I hope all fans of mystery take a chance to read this book. I hope we see these characters again.
This book is so much fun. I really enjoyed it. The story focuses on a group of people in their 70s and 80s in a retirement community who meet every Thursday to try to solve cold cases. When a murder that's connected to the community takes place, they, of course, have to be involved. They manage to make themselves a nuisance for the police, but they also play a crucial role in solving multiple murders, often taking advantage of the ways that people write them off because of their age. The characters are *such* characters and are very well drawn. Overall, this story is a delight.
Wow!  This was such a fun book to read. The characters were all interesting, intriguing and genuinely fun to be with for the course of this book. Highly recommended to anyone who likes a light mystery with such fun, subtle humor that you keep thinking about it after the book is done. I hope this is a new series because I would love to spend more time with these characters.
There seem to be an abundance of books this year about older folks and I have loved all the ones I’ve read. “Exit” by Belinda Bauer, “The Postscript Murders” by Elly Griffiths, and now this novel, what a run of good reads!!

I did not know that Richard Osman was a BBC announcer and celebrity, but I applaud him for writing this engaging, offbeat British crime novel. I enjoyed the plot of this novel but it’s the characters that make it special!

I thought it started off a bit slowly, having to introduce all of the members and keep us updated as to what is going on behind the scenes at Cooper’s Chase. The pace picked up quickly and I was enjoying it after 30 pages or so.

The members of the club who all live in Cooper’s Chase, are a sprightly and witty group. Cooper’s Chase is an upscale retirement village and the residents want to see it stay that way.

Elizabeth is the organizer of the group, she has a background in crime solving, probably a former spy. She has a wide network of friends in high places who know how to get things done. Her friend Penny is an ex-detective and it is her cold cases that they work to solve every Thursday.

Ibrahim is a retired psychiatrist and his skills at reading human behavior and being a detail oriented man are his strong points.

Ron is a retired union boss who is a “get things done” kind of guy, he was known during his career as Red Ron, because of his red hair and fiery personality. He always roots for the underdog!

Joyce is an ex- nurse and our narrator. She is a recently arrived resident who was quickly recruited into the group. It is her entries into her daily Journal that keep us updated as to what is going on throughout the novel.

PC Donna de Freitas meets the Thursday Murder Club members while she is set to deliver a boring speech to them about security. They make her an offer to join them in being able to actually solve murders. It doesn’t take much for her to join and help the group.

The Club is intrigued and excited when there are two real murders in Cooper’s Chase to investigate and solve! It’s great fun to read along as they all use their skills to solve these murders. I thoroughly enjoyed the British humor in this book, it certainly added to my enjoyment.

I will leave you to enjoy the mysteries and all of these unique characters without any spoilers.
This novel has already been published, so this is a great book to put on your Christmas list!!!

I received an ARC of this novel from the publisher through NetGalley.
This novel is now available so be sure to add it to your Christmas list!
The Thursday Murder Club is filled with interesting, fun characters that you want to spend time with. I liked that each member of the club brought something unique to the group. I thought the mystery which was interesting took second place to the characters. I would definitely read the next book in the series.
A delightful cozy mystery following a group of elderly friends who dig up cold cases to solve. The writing is smart and Osman sprinkles humor throughout the story. Engaging and entertaining.
The Thursday Murder Club was a charming little mystery. A group of retirees form a little club to solve cold cases that one of their members copied from her detective days. In the midst of reviewing a case, an actual murder occurs and the group jumps to help solve it.

Typically, cozy mysteries are light reads for me. This one though required me to flip back to early chapters to see what I missed. For that, I gave it 3 stars because it's really difficult to flip back on a Kindle. I think I would've preferred a physical book just to flip back more easily. Otherwise, I'd give it 4 stars.
I am not a huge reader of series, but author Richard Osman converted me with this one!

Four friends from Coopers Chase Retirement Village meet every Thursday in The Jigsaw Room to solve cold cases. Elizabeth, Joyce, Ibrahim and Ron are 70-80 year old super sleuths, suddenly faced with a real murder when the Coopers Chase manager drops dead in front of them.

I absolutely loved these characters and beg them to be my friend. Osman wrote an engaging mystery to be sure, but the triumph is the characters, their back stories and their friendship.

I loved how the Thursday Murder Club used people's perceptions and assumptions about the elderly to manipulate situations and gain information.

Joyce, in particular, acknowledged how people tended to overlook or ignore her, giving her the opportunity to observe completely unnoticed.

There was so much humor in this read- smart, not slapstick. Their run-ins with local law enforcement were great fun. They way Osman expertly wove many characters and seemingly inconsequential side plots into a wholly satisfying mystery and unforgettable story reminded me of another favorite, Fredrik Backman .

I highly recommend the audio, superbly narrated by Lesley Manville. A bonus is the author interview at the conclusion--he gives hints about book two!

Many thanks to NetGalley, Pamela Dorman Books , Penguin Random House and Richard Osman for the complimentary e-book in exchange for my honest opinion.
They say life begins at 40, but after reading The Thursday Murder Club, I'd say there's a strong argument that life actually begins after 65. Richard Osman's debut mystery novel centers around an upscale retirement community called Coopers Chase in the English county of Kent and the members of the "Thursday Murder Club" who live there. Elizabeth is a former who-knows-what for sure (but certainly a secret agent of some sort). Ron is a former union boss who's never met a fight or an audience he didn't like. Ibrahim is a former psychiatrist whose habits are as tidy and precise as his mind. And Joyce is a former nurse whose pleasant, unassuming nature makes her the perfect co-conspirator for any occasion.

When readers first meet them, the club has been convening every Thursday to delve into cold cases collected by founding member and former police inspector, Penny. Unfortunately, Penny's mind has been ravaged by dementia, but with their wits and varied expertise intact, the remaining foursome sets about solving these murders once and for all. Meanwhile, Police Constable Donna De Freitas, a 26-year old London transplant eager to climb the ranks of the force, is assigned to give the group a simple talk on home security. But the club has different plans for PC De Freitas. She's soon recruited into the ranks of the Thursday Murder Club when a series of deaths at Coopers Chase spur them all on to catch an active killer.

Similar to many other "hijinks mysteries," there are a lot of characters in The Thursday Murder Club. However, the large cast and the shifting narrative perspective turns out to be one of the most pleasant features of Osman's novel. Not only do readers get characters who are as varied and strange as a former boxing star turned reality TV personality and a philandering real estate developer with dreams of starting his own juice line, we get access to their internal monologues. During a meeting to try to convince a woman and her father to sell their land, Ian Ventham, the real estate developer-cum-juice magnate, cannot help but focus on the woman's appearance. Ian thinks that "she works in IT, she could have googled 'Botox.' She must be fifty...same age as him. Different for women, though." The hilarity that ensues from this kind of shifting perspective is brilliant, as it underscores the rampant misunderstandings these people have of each other while deepening the reader's appreciation for Osman's characters and his wild plot.

The Thursday Murder Club is equal parts intrigue, humor and pathos. On the periphery of the murder mystery are the sorrows and challenges of old age. Each member of the club has lost a spouse, or a close friend, or a profession, or his/her health to a degree. But in many ways, it's those losses that make the connections between them all the more poignant. Toward the end of the novel, Joyce's daughter, Joanna, says it best:

Remember when you moved in here, and I told you it would be the end of you? Sitting in your chair, surrounded by other people just waiting out their days? I was wrong. It was the beginning of you, Mum. I thought I would never see you happy again after Dad died...Your eyes are alive, your laugh is back, and it's thanks to Coopers Chase, and to Elizabeth, and to Ron and Ibrahim, and to Bernard.

If you already happen to know that Richard Osman is a British celebrity, set aside your preconceived notions. He isn't your average celebrity writer. The Thursday Murder Club is a well-written, lively whodunit in the vein of Carl Hiaasen and Elmore Leonard on this side of the pond or Kaye C. Hill's Lexy Lomax series on the other side. And since Steven Spielberg has already bought the novel's film rights, it's likely to become your next onscreen favorite as well.
The Thursday Murder Club is a cozy new mystery featuring a cast of amateur sleuths, all pushing 80 years of age. Elizabeth, Joyce, Ibrahim, and Ron live in a retirement community and come together by happenstance to try to solve a murder that occurred in front of them. When the developer who is threatening an area near their retirement village with unwanted construction work is murdered in front of the hastily assembled protest to stop the work from going forward, these 4 sleuths set about figuring out what happened. There are twists and turns, and there are more than a few viable suspects with secrets and motivations of their own. All in all, the writing is filled with humor and cheek and the characters are unique and likeable. I think soft/cozy mystery readers will welcome this addition to the genre.
I would like to thank PRHGlobal for providing me with a free copy of the book  in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts expressed are my personal opinion.

Description Summary:The most engaging murder mystery book I’ve read this year. Think Scooby Doo but instead “the gang” is a group of very British retired pensioners.

Score: 5/5

This book cemented me as a Richard Osman fan. I absolutely loved his take on murder mystery and it is exactly what the doctor ordered for my reading slump. He manages to combine a perfect blend of dry humor, thrilling mystery, and the right amount of gore that didn’t make your stomach turn.

The plot was not that complex when you finally reach the outcome and realize this, but it was written so well, you’re constantly left feeling puzzled. Each chapter was like an advent character; what are you going to get next? Who knows!? I enjoyed every minute of it!

Honestly all of these characters are so much fun, and I was acutely saddened to realize I’ve said goodbye to Coopers Chase retirement village and it’s colorful occupants.

You have plenty of side characters and I promise every character that Osman writes in has a role one way or another, and that makes this book all the more thrilling and misleading.

Do I recommend? Yes, you must read this.
This was fun! I cared much more about the characters than the actual mystery/outcome, which was kind of a bummer, but it was still a pleasure to read.
This book fit nicely in my goals to read more books about older people. After all I am an older person and I like to read about people my age still being active and enjoying life. I like the concept of living in a senior complex and having people around but still having your own apartment for privacy. I like the idea of having all the classes and activities available. There's something for everyone including a little club that likes solving old murders.

The founding member is in a coma in the hospital attended by her husband every day but luckily her friend, Elizabeth, is leading the group. When the local developer wants to expand the housing at the senior complex he decides to dig up the graveyard to expand. This causes quite an uproar and he ends up dead. The small club decides to investigate and ropes two members of the police in to help them investigate.

As the investigation continues lots of buried secrets emerge including an unexplained dead body, people pretending to be someone they are not, old murders, disappearing suspects and a multitude of issues. It's just a fun romp and goes to show you are never too old to contribute.

A lot of people have complained that this was written by a celebrity. I have never heard of Richard Osman so that was not a problem for me. I just enjoyed the story and had a good time. Thanks to NetGalley for a copy of this book in exchange for a fair review.
Something different to recommend to readers -- it takes place in a little English village, and it is cozy, but not so cozy that it doesn't have a sharp edge. Four retirement age people, all of whom have fascinating backgrounds, band together to solve crimes. This should really be a Netflix series! Loved it.
I loved the premise of this book and really wanted to like it but it was just not for me. I tried, but just couldn't get into it. Unfortunately I was not able to finish it. I'm sure there are many others who will love it though! Thank you to NetGalley and PENGUIN GROUP Viking for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
A very British cozy-ish mystery set in a retirement village.

*Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing an e-galley in exchange for an honest review.
I can totally see this becoming a TV series.  Set in a retirement community, built in a former nunnery. Four retirees residents stay busy by trying to solve cold cases, no boring puzzle club or French club for them. Suddenly there are two real murders at their doorstep and a nun's grave with an extra set of bones.  The local police are good enough to play along with the group, but who will solve the murders? Unusual setting and interesting characters.
This was a cozy little British mystery that was filled with wonderful characters in a warm and lovely setting. It was fun to read and kept the reader guessing. I hope it is the beginning of a very long series.

My copy of this book was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My thanks to the the author, the publisher, and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review it.
Quirky characters save a less than stellar plot and labored writing. It’s not a sterling debut but has potential and Osman, with more experience and a better editor, could make a decent cozy series out of this.