Cover Image: The Forger's Daughter

The Forger's Daughter

I received a free copy from NetGalley.  An old enemy comes back and forces the forger to forge again.  But he's older and out of practice, so his daughter helps.  Interesting story and the details to how an old book and letter would be copied are done in an interesting way.
This idea of this book was appealing to me, kind of mysterious involving a counterfeit of an Edgar Allen Poe book.  But I found it slow to start and a bit hard to get into.  It was hard to like and relate to the characters.  Maybe it would help if I’d read The Forger.
I was given a free ARC of this book by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I loved the premise of this book. I am an ardent bibliophile, so I really enjoyed how much I learned about books from this book! I will say, however, that I was rather disappointed in the end. The beginning built quickly with intrigue and danger. The reader is almost immediately plunged into the world of forgeries and fences and hidden collections. The book had the sense of building frantically and then suddenly sputtering out at the end. The ending was swift, entirely predictable and, as such, unsatisfactory. In fact, I hated the ending. There were also a few details that were left unresolved, such as the brother’s mysterious murder, that left me wondering if it was a clumsy attempt at setting it up for a sequel.

There was some foul language and  violence. Overall, I enjoyed this book but wouldn’t go out of my way to recommend it. It was more Nancy Drew than Dupin in the end, and as much as I loved Nancy Drew when I was a child, I prefer Dupin, Holmes, Poirot, or evening Miss Anatole over this group. This one was just ok for me.
I did not see this tidbit mentioned anywhere in the information I read about this book, but  this is actually the  sequel to the The Forger. I didn’t read the first book, and I do feel as if this was fine as a standalone.

The beginning is very atmospheric. A scream in  the night that could be an animal or a person, a wooded area and rain.  As the book continues, questions come into play that demand answers. Who killed Meg’s brother? Why on earth would Will ever help Henry after what Henry did?  Why now? The questions I had kept me reading until the end to get the full story.

The author did a good job of sharing many details of how a forger works. He also seamlessly wove this story together, and I have to  say I did enjoy reading it.
This grabbed me right away because of the subject matter, rare books, Edgar Allan Poe and forgery!
It had a dynamite opening, frightening and very mysterious, but even though the plot continued to be engaging and interesting, it just didn't live up to that auspicious beginning.
I found the ending ambiguous and lackluster which is less than satisfying after having invested time in reading the whole thing.
Also, I'm not sure if it was because I was reading an ARC, but it was difficult to determine who was speaking at times, and it had no chapter breaks which I found very annoying.
Even though there was suspense and intrigue throughout the story,  I found it to be slow in places as well as predictable.
Will not leave review any where.
Not my cup of tea, which was surprising, since I'm a cartographer.

Thanks for granting me access to this book
I finished the book feeling glad that I do not know any of these people!  Scary!  Still, The Forger's Daughter is a fascinating book and I learned a lot about forgery, printing, and rare book sales.  The characters, except for adopted daughter Maisie, are extremely complex.  My reaction was frequently, now, why did you have to go and do THAT!

The book was extremely enjoyable to read and hard to put down.  It was one of those "just one more page" kinds of books and I am glad I read it.  At one point it reminded me a bit of "The Weight of Ink," by Rachel Kadish, another book I found captivating.

Will and Meg, the parents of Nicole (the forger's daughter) and Maisie,  live a secluded life. They seem to have more money than I would expect them to have (the cabin in the woods, the apartment in the City, the trip to Ireland, the printing equipment).  The book raises a lot of questions (who killed Meg's brother?) and doesn't answer all of them.

I don't know if a sequel is planned.  The forger's daughter could strike out on her own.  And we could get the answers to those niggling questions!
If you haven't read Bradford Morrow's The Forgers, the first book in this series (I hadn't) don't worry. The Forger's Daughter stands very well all by itself.  I read a review copy of this book courtesy of NetGalley and Mysterious Press. and had a wonderful time doing so. The book is well-paced, entertaining (and instructive about book forgeries and Edgar Allen Poe).  The characters are well fleshed out and intriguing, the writing is taut and compelling.  What I most enjoyed about the book is that it explored interesting issues of obligations and loyalty, the bonds of friendship and family, and indeed what is family.

Twenty years ago, Will, a world-class forger, found himself in serious trouble and ended up in jail.  Now, a former partner blackmails him into a plot to counterfeit the rarest book in American literature: Edgar Allan Poe’s, Tamerlane, With help from his talented older daughter, he makes a perfect forgery, hoping that pays his debt to his ex-partner.  Four years later he discovers it didn't.

One of the signs of a good book is that it makes you want to read his earlier books. The Forger's Daughter did just that.  Better yet, I learned a lot about the tortured life of Mr. Poe. Highly recommended.
The Forger's Daughter takes the reader from the countryside in Kenmare to a country house in New York''s Hudson Valley with a couple of stops in New York City, weaving a thrilling tale of intrigue. Secrets get discovered and relationships strengthen and fray in this fast moving, suspenseful story of crime, blackmail, forgery and family. The well-written story moves quickly  It will especially appeal to bibliophiles and book collectors interested in the world of printing, publishing and rare books. At the end, things weren't tied up neatly. I guess I should read the prequel.
I received a complimentary copy of The Forger's Daughter from NetGalley.  Opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.

I learned a lot from this novel--which I love!  Priceless antique books that are hard to come by are highly sought after for forgery.  This illegal career envelops a whole family, affecting the members in several ways, culminating into a blackmail ploy.  Many twists kept me guessing.  Good read.

Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC.
An excellent guide on how to create a forgery.  The only problem is there was more “how to” then plot.  But. I enjoyed reading the book for the author had me rethinking the rightness or wrongness of creating a forgery.  Why someone would pay millions for an artifact does it really matter if it’s real.  I enjoyed the book but was left with a few unanswered questions.  I didn’t read the first book and may find the answers there.  The only little annoyance was that the book was written with 2 narrators and it took a minute or to figure out who was speaking.
THE FORGER'S DAUGHTER is a sequel to THE FORGERS and takes place some twenty years later. I believe that not reading THE FORGERS first would be to do a disservice to oneself. Although THE FORGER'S DAUGHTER has the legs to stand alone, having the background from the first book makes this one all the more meaningful.

There are any number of books that are about somebody's daughter (or wife, or sister) which I tend to view as somewhat demeaning to the daughter/wife/sister (or any other possessed female character). For example, THE HANGMAN'S DAUGHTER is more about the hangman than the daughter. I was pleasantly surprised to find that Morrow has created a daughter that can truly be seen as a strong character quite vital to the plot.

Although the murder mystery is explained in the first book, the consequences of that murder linger in the mind of a deranged bookman. The result is an ingenious forgery plan that adds to our knowledge of the underbelly of the rare book market.

As was THE FORGERS, THE FORGER'S DAUGHTER is a book to savor for its rich prose and fine storytelling.
Couldn't get past the third page.
I never do this, but have abandoned book.
Hated the writing style, wasn't engaging.
Sorry, not for me. :-(
❝𝗠𝗬 𝗦𝗜𝗫 𝗧𝗛𝗜𝗡𝗚𝗦 𝗥𝗘𝗩𝗜𝗘𝗪❞
The Forger’s Daughter by Bradford Morrow

𝕋𝕙𝕣𝕖𝕖 𝕋𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕘𝕤 𝕀 𝕃𝕚𝕜𝕖𝕕
❶ This was so different from books that I’ve read recently. I almost gave her a five star on Goodreads just for that fact but couldn’t bring myself to do it. The plot in general was really intriguing and the secrets the characters kept were so muddy. It almost felt like this wouldn’t happen in real life but it could definitely happen in real life.
➋ I felt like there were a few things unanswered but it was the right amount. It left me wondering how the afterstory would play out after I was done with the book. I liked that.
➌ Even though this is a sequel to The Forgers, I didn’t read that book before this one and it was fine, characters and backstories are reintroduced.

𝕋𝕙𝕣𝕖𝕖 𝕋𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕘𝕤 𝕋𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝔹𝕦𝕞𝕞𝕖𝕕 𝕄𝕖 𝕆𝕦𝕥
❶ So, I didn’t realize this was a sequel when I requested it from NetGalley. And I actually didn’t realize it until I went to rate the book on Goodreads. Just something I wish I would have known before.
➋ A little too much detail about printing... I get the book is about that. I mean the title even has something to do with that but there were a few sentences skipped because I didn’t need to know the different kinds of paper that can be used for printing.
➌ Two chapters into the book I still didn’t know what time period it was taking place in 🤣 lemme help you out if you read it... it’s now, it’s taking place in current day haha The cover 100% threw me off.
I received this from Netgalley.com.

"After twenty years of living life on the straight and narrow, Will finds himself drawn back to forgery, ensnared in a plot to counterfeit the rarest book in American literature: Edgar Allan Poe’s first,Tamerlane."

A rather slow and agonizing read. I never connected with the plot or the characters.

What a great story - it has twists, turns, history, literature, and forgery!  While the story centers around a piece written by Edgar Allen Poe, the writing and story itself might have been something Poe himself would have enjoyed.  I really enjoyed this book...I couldn't put it down.  I liked how the chapters altered between Will and Meghan's points of view.  The language was delightful and I even found myself rereading certain turns of phrase.
Thank you to the author, NetGalley and the publisher for my copy of this novel. I found the history of forgery interesting, and especially the connection to Edgar Allen Poe.  Will and Meghan are book lovers, and many years ago Will was caught as a forger, and an old nemesis attacked him, brutally injuring his hand. Will has since moved to America, and his enemy has returned, telling Will he must reproduce a previously unseen poem by Edgar Allen Poe, which will be worth millions on the market. If Will doesn't do as asked, his past crime will be revealed and he will go to prison. Will does agree, and brings daughter Nicole into the process, as she is a well accomplished printer. I did not know this was a sequel, so many times I didn't understand what the back story was, but I enjoyed the mystery and all the information on printing was fascinating.
A reformed forger is like a retired race horse who hears the starting gun from a nearby race track and can't help longing for that old excitement. That's what happens to Will, who's made a comfortable life as an artisinal, printer, manuscript authenticator and dealer.  Drawn into a scheme to copy a rare manuscript by Edgar Allen Poe by a man he once counted among his closest colleagues before he betrayed him,  in partnership with a distinguished man who mentored them both, he's unable to resist. Not only that - almost without thinking, he draws his own daughter Nicole, herself a talented printer and copyist, into the plot. It's a deftly told tale, with sympathetic protagonists he reader hopes will get away with their well-executed plan.
First, let me say that this was written by an excellent, educated author.  I was so impressed with Bradford Morrow and his command of vocabulary. That, alone, was enough to keep me reading when the book got a little slow..  Will was a former illegal forger of important documents, antique books, etc. He has been on the straight and narrow for many years and plans to stay that way. He has a wife and two daughters to care for and protect.

However, a man from his past appears and threatens him with evidence which could get him in a great deal of trouble. He has to do some more illegal forging, this concerning Edgar Allen Poe. I was a fan of Poe for many years, having won a national EAP writing contest.  So this was another reason the book appealed to me.  The author was very informed as to the literary world.