Cover Image: How to Fail at Flirting

How to Fail at Flirting

This started out as a fun, flirty read with some unexpectedly dark undertones. The subject matter was a bit heavier than I anticipated, and the plotline with the ex took a bit more space in the narrative than I would've liked. But overall, I enjoyed the writing, the characters were charming, and the romance was sweet and steamy. I'm looking forward to seeing what the author comes up with next.
This was an interesting romance. It definitely had depth to the characters and some serious plot lines. It was a little predictable but I enjoyed the witty banter between the main characters. Overall your typical romance book with a little extra oomph to make it hold my interest. Quick read. I will be checking out future titles from this author.
This was a great book about the circumstances that life throws at us and the choices we have to make, whether good or bad.
This is the first novel I've read by Denise Williams and it was absolutely delightful! Over the past couple of years, I have become an avid contemporary romance fan and she will definitely be on my list of authors to watch for in the future. I flew through this novel and hated for it to end, fell in love with these characters!
“How to Fail at Flirting” was a delightful contemporary romance, and I felt it was the perfect example of the genre.

To begin with, I adored how the author mixed all the correct elements to make this an entertaining contemporary romance. It is hard to believe that this is the author’s debut novel because she wrote it so well. The author blends the story with romance, drama, and humor. I found myself laughing and cheering for Naya in the story. From the moment Naya throws up on Jake to when she finds out who he is, the author just lightened up the pages.

The author adds the romance nicely where there are moments that you adore and moments that heat the pages. From their time at the Ferris Wheel to deep conversations about their relationship, many scenes together stood out. There is also a lot of drama that happens midway in the story that made it more exciting.

Moreover, the two main characters stand out on their own. Naya is a likable character, and you can relate to her feelings. She is putting herself out there after a long time and feels that she involves herself with complicated people. I liked the scenes where she compares Davis and Jake and tries to figure out what to do. Similarly, I adored Jake because of the way he is open about his feelings for Naya. Also, I enjoyed the supporting characters like Aaron and Felicia. Furthermore, I loved Felicia and reading about her family troubles as she advises Naya on what to do.

Overall, I enjoyed reading “How to Fail at Flirting,” and I hope the author continues to write many more novels in the genre.
I absolutely adored this book. I was hooked from the first page. I love that it's a mixture of a good romance with something that is absolutely so serious.

This was such a wonderful debut novel. I'm very excited to see what else Denise Williams will release in the future as I will purchase everything she puts out.
I greatly enjoyed this romance and the two main characters. Their connection was evident from the beginning and it led to a wonderful HEA. The conflict was somewhat frustrating, but the ending made up for it.
I love books that I have a strong female character. Who doesn’t like a book about a woman consumed in her career to try the dating scene one night with friends. Only to find out he is the one person who could crush your career. Thank you for my advanced reader copy of this book.
I heard a lot of great buzz about this book going in. I was so looking forward to reading it.

Naya, armed with a list and a fun course on flirting, decides to give romance another go. This is mainly a distraction as her work life, is a little up in the air at the university. She meets a guy and they begin her list. The night ends in disaster. Somehow, Jake, the one night guy, ends up becoming more, and he has something going on that he's not telling her.

As someone who also is a bit, romantically inept, shall we say, I actually totally dug the concept of the list and kind pushing Naya to challenge herself. You see this concept in a romance every so often but usually in films. To see it in a book and how it was executed. I felt was original and fun.

I feel like, on a personal level, this was kind of the romance I needed right now. One where the two characters had some obstacles, common goals, but really had to work to build trust and be vulnerable. together. It felt incredibly realistic on some levels. I think that was great because a lot of times, you don't find that in romances.

I loved the relationships built between Naya and other characters. The anxiety, fear, and general animosity she felt for Davis was very tangible. But also the love, camaraderie and friendship she had for her group of friends was something you could find very real as a reader. It added some depth to the story.

Overall, I really enjoyed this story and its take on romance. I look forward to more from Williams.
Enjoyable! I actually read and loved her second book first ( The Fastest Way To Fall ) and then came back and picked this one up. Don't let their rom-com-like covers fool you; there are some very serious topics in both books, but especially this one (CW: abusive ex who is resurfacing). HTFAF is single POV--TFWTF is dual, which I think is definitely in its favor--but the two have a vary similar "feel" to them overall. (And yes, the Wes in this book is the Wes of TFWTF. Here though he's only introduced as a "personal trainer" and no mention is made of the business he started/the app and program that is central to the second book, which seemed...off...? But maybe I have the timeline confused?)

Anyway, I really liked this one, toxic ex aside. Naya and Jake make a great couple, once they're finally allowed to be a couple, and having read the other book I especially liked being able to go back and see how they started. Ms Williams is definitely an author I'll be looking for more from in the future!

Rating: 4 stars / B+

I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book.
I LOVED this book. I devoured it as soon as I was approved for it. Then I bought a copy when it came out and reread it, which I almost never do these days, just because I don't have the time. As someone who's been in some not great relationships, where only later I realized I was being emotionally abused, I related SO much to this book. Like, how do you trust someone with your heart after such a terrible relationship? Well, this book is the answer. I think it's so rare to find a book about abuse that can actually be enjoyed by those who've been abused without being triggering. And like, I'm one person, so I'm sure it's not going to work for everyone, but it was SO cathartic for me. And HILARIOUS. Like the Dad jokes alone had me constantly cracking up. I was in tears by the end and I was just so happy that the book ended the way it did. I will buy anything else Denise Williams writes, consider me a lifetime fan.
This book is such a fun read!
I really enjoyed the characters in this book and watching the relationship unfold! This is the perfect addition for any romcom lover!

I think the story line was really strong and there was honestly nothing I didn’t enjoy!
I had heard such good things about this book before starting it. So I was so disappointed when I just did not care about Naya and Jake. I actually enjoyed Naya on her own and her relationship with Felicia and with herself more than I cared about what happened as she and Jake worked to be together.
WHY DID I LISTEN TO HOW TO FAIL AT FLIRTING BY DENISE WILLIAMS?
How To Fail At Flirting by Denise Williams appealed to me because I love a forbidden romance. I also think that reading romances starting characters of color written by authors of color, aka OwnVoices romances is an absolute priority. Seeing this book pop up on the Volumes app reviewer section made me feel absolutely psyched. The reason I was so excited is that it meant I was able to get to reading this book so much sooner via audio. Y’all, this is a WONDERFUL audiobook that I cannot recommend highly enough.

WHAT’S THE STORY HERE?
Naya Turner, main character, is a professor whose department is up to be cut at her university. She understandably is under some stress. Her friends who are ride or die and simply the best convince her she deserves to cut loose and have a night out on the town. So, Naya ends up dressing up and going out. She’s got a checklist to fulfill when it comes to cutting loose. As it turns out, she meets this man named Jake at the bar and has a one night stand with him, checking some items off her list. They have some wild chemistry and would like to take what happened beyond the one night stand. Only, there’s an issue. Jake is one of the consultants hired by the university and could be eliminating Naya’s job. The conflict of interest is there and so is the chemistry.

HOW DID I LIKE HOW TO FAIL AT FLIRTING?
I genuinely loved How To Fail At Flirting. Denise Williams paints a character who is so darn likable. The author also nails the romance aspect perfectly and I just spent the whole book rooting for Naya and Jake. I loved that Naya overcomes some trauma and re-finds her confidence. This book really promotes mental healthcare. I loved that there is therapy at one point — towards the end — but it is so important to me that this is something that is normalized. There is a MeToo element to this book that is quite relatable. I think that if you read romance to feel empowered – you will love this book and its character arch.

HOW’S THE NARRATION?
The audiobook of How To Fail At Flirting is narrated by January LaVoy. LaVoy is an expert narrator. I could listen to her at 1.5x speed and understand every word and nuance. The narration style is so solid and pleasant on the ears. If you’re looking for your next romance audiobook — look no further. The audiobook is 9 hours and 6 minutes long but feels like it goes by super quick.
3.5 - I enjoyed the relationship journey with the two main characters. Lots of fun puns. Deals with a serious domestic abuse situation (heads up if that's a trigger warning for you). Reminded me a little of Take a hint Dani Brown.
I like the authors writing style. Its nice to read a book where the main character isn't perfect and has realistic quirks. I will be checking out other titles by this author.
Nope. Didn’t like this at all. Jake should have been honest from the beginning. He lost me as a fan as soon as I found out his secret. Red flag!
Flirting can be a challenge, especially when it has not been a positive experience in the past. Or when you have left a relationship that left you in pieces. Naya just wants to fly under the radar and get her tenure at the college she works for. That may be all at Irish when she takes a chance with a guy in a bar. How to Fail at Flirting is an authentic take on realistic relationships and the complex web they weave. Williams does an amazing job in character development for both the protagonist and supporting characters. Naya is relatable with a splash of nerdy. She carries self-doubt caused by a past abusive relationship.  Her development throughout the book is organic and realistic. Her love interest Jake borders on the stereotypic romance guy but Williams made him more realistic by adding an introverted quality to him. Naya and Jake's friends are honest and hilarious which he's to break up the romance and heavy topics in the plot.
I really enjoyed this book. It hit a little harder than I thought it would — there are some very serious issues tackled under this cute illustrated cover. (CW: physical and verbal abuse) I loved how Naya took control of her life and how Jake played into it.  The audio was excellent. January LaVoy did a great job bringing Naya and Jake's story to life.
Perhaps bowing to librarian stereotypes, I am always excited by the potential of a book featuring a socially awkward, frumpy-cardigan wearing heroine, and I was absolutely not disappointed by this one. I’m looking forward to reading more books by Denise Williams. Recommend for fans of Helen Hoang, Talia Hibbert, Jessica Lemmon and Victoria Dahl.