Cover Image: A Rogue of One's Own

A Rogue of One's Own

I read someone's blog review criticizing the book's depiction of people from India and homosexuals. I did not pick up on these issues, but I did feel that there was something lacking in the love story. I enjoyed the first book in the series and was eager to read more about the suffragettes. However, I thought the romance was more plot dictated than true love.
2.5

have to say, while I love a good romance, it seems that historical romances just aren't my thing.

Historical aspect aside, I was really disappointed with the romance in this book. I'm a sucker for an enemies to lovers storyline, but this one had absolutely no lead up and no tension. They hated each other and then all of a sudden, within one chapter, they were together. That's it. Done.
Half the fun of a this type of storyline is the tension, the back and forth between the two parties, the buildup! This book had none of that and it was so disappointing. To the point that it actually just ruined the rest of the story for me.
Evie Dunmore is quickly becoming one of my favorite historical romance authors. I love that the female characters are always pushing boundaries and social norms and standing up for what they believe in. I can't wait to read the next one!
This book was an absolute delight. I liked the first book in the series slightly more, but I can't wait to see where this series goes. Dunmore's writing is wonderful and her world is filled with characters I love.
I really loved her first book, Bringing Down the Duke, and was really excited for the second book. While Annabelle and Sebastian will always be my favorite, I really enjoyed Lucie and Tristan's love story. Lucie grew on me this book, which is a testament to the story as I didn't like her the first book.
What a wonderful story! I loved how this book really emphasizes the importance of equal rights, especially with women.  It gives readers an insight as to how women were treated in the older days, and how much they had to fight to help women today get the rights they deserve. Definitely very well written.  Books like these that touch on the importance of feminism are needed!
After reading Dunmore's first in this series - Bringing Down the Duke - I wanted to know more about Lady Lucie and where she got her ferocity from.  This book gave me that and more, but I also got a little bogged down with it (it is loooooooooooong...). I had similar feelings for BDTD, but persevered.  I was on the fence on starting this one for the same reason. I'm glad I read it, but may have enjoyed my time on a different book. I love this genre, but it's saturated so readers can pick and choose what suits them the most.
Thank you for the ARC!
This book takes a little while to get going, but once it does it's really fun!!  The main character was my least favorite of all the girls we have met so far, however her romance was probably my favorite.  Lady Lucie's views on being a woman and her rights are great to read about, as most women of that time can be portrayed like helpless damsels. Tristan as a her romantic interest is swoon worthy for sure!! I loved his parts slightly more than Lucie's. Overall I really enjoyed this book and look forward to more in this world with all of these characters.
The writing pulls readers in, and the characters are loveable from the get-go. A wonderful, chemistry-ridden romance with a feminist twist.
This is the second book in the series, I had really enjoyed the first but omgosh this one was fantastic! I loved everything about Lucie and Tristan, their tension built up to the point that I couldn’t take it anymore and it was great. Our Lady Lucie was in quite the predicament, she desperately wanted to keep fighting for the cause, but her nemesis, Lord Ballentine was always just right there to thwart her progress it seemed. He makes her an offer she cannot refuse, and she seems to lose control from then on, no matter how much she tries to keep it.

This was just delightful, it is a borderline tome at 448 pages, but it feels like a quick read and I flew through it in a couple of days. I enjoyed Lucie and her dealings with Tristan obvi, but I also loved her relationships with the other women and their sneaky ways to fight the patriarchy. I loved how Lucie did not want to be married and managed to find a way to make that acceptable as well. I’m telling you, the entire thing was just so much fun and I LOVED IT. The steam factor was just right for me also.

I could just gush on and on about this one, but I suppose I will stop. If you haven’t read the first one, Bringing Down the Duke, you have to read it as well, but note that this one was fine on its own. And now I cannot wait for the third book, very excited to see what is in store!

Thank you to NetGalley and Berkley for the e-galley to review.
Evie Dunmore is superb. Her prose is riveting! The tension between hero and heroine was thick. I only wish she had given us a little more in the story.. Otherwise, I was quite satisfied with the the movement of the storyline and the eventual resolution. I can’t wait to see what she comes up with next!
A Rogue of One's Own puts a romantic spin on a really important time in the history for women's rights.  Full of strong female characters, dashing yet sensitive rogues, and some very sexy and tender encounters made for an all around delightful read.  Evie Dunmore is one to watch for historical romances!
I loved the romance between the characters so much in this book, and I did not read the first book, because I had not realized it was the second book, but I still enjoyed it a lot. It was charming and witty, and I loved it oh so much
The book starts off with how Lucie & Tristan first meet. What I like to call a historical meet cute. Lucie is a brave and stubborn, witty character and I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of her double derringer.This book had me Googling words during my reading. I am excited to read the third book in this series which is Hattie's and Mr. Blackstone's book. I look forward to learning the title of this book too.
I possibly loved this more than Bringing Down the Duke. I love Lucie’s passion and determination. I also loved the romance and chemistry between her and Tristan. I’m already a sucker for hate-to-love romances but throw in the fact that the characters are childhood acquaintances and it just makes it even better. Tristan was a weaker character than Lucie but I loved how she challenged him and never failed to point out the privilege he has in society. Throughout their constant bickering, the chemistry between the two was excellent. The sexual tension between them was palpable!

Lucie
I think my favorite part of this story is the character of Lucie. She’s not always likable and sometimes she does have a holier-than-thou attitude, but I believe this is what made her the powerhouse leader of the suffragist movement. She breathed, lived, and would die for the cause. Her refusal to compromise her independence was inspirational. There is a moment when she talks about the feminist leaders who came before her to Tristian that made me tear up. She was fully aware that she may not see equality in her time, but she fought for the possibility that it could happen.

Even though I loved the story and characters more than Bringing Down the Duke, my rating was lowered to 4 stars because there were a few aspects of the story that didn’t sit right with me. Obviously, I did enjoy the story as a whole, but I want to go into some non-spoiler details since I can see how these might be dealbreakers for others.

Lord Arthur
First, my biggest issue was the gay character Lord Arthur. He was made out to be this desperate and weak character. He was a plot device to help Tristan see the parallels between the plight between women and queer people and their powerlessness in society, except this point is made in one short paragraph. I felt this could have been done so much better. Lord Arthur shows up in two scenes and was portrayed as weak, but also villanized in the plot. It just felt messy and unnecessary. I would have preferred a strong side character to bring more insight into those who have rights and those who don’t. And if proper attention can’t be given to this, then just don’t include this character and focus on Lucie’s involvement with the cause.

Cecily
Cecily is Lucie’s cousin who lives with Lucie’s parents. They’re pitted as opposites in the story. Lucie is difficult, outspoken, and radical. Cecily is demure, soft-spoken, and listens to her aunt and uncle. I didn’t like the subtle rivalry between the two, especially in a story that has a strong suffragist premise. I don’t need all women to get along and be all chummy since that’s not realistic either. What bothered me is that Lucie seemed to lack sympathy for Cecily. Without going into spoilers, Cecily gets involved in drama and gets into trouble. As someone who often helps other women without a moment’s hesitation, she didn’t seem to care what happened to Cecily. That seemed out of character. It was an opportunity for the author to show that radical and traditional women could have this moment of reconciliation because when it comes down to it, it was the lack of freedom and rights that motivated these two women to make the decisions they did

Tristan’s Tattoo
Tristan is portrayed as a worldly man that eschews societal expectations. He doesn’t take his seat in parliament. He makes deals with shady businessmen. He was in the military and has served outside of Britain, specifically spending time in India. Tristan’s tattoo is featured prominently in the story. I had issues with this since the tattoo design was used as a plot device to show how worldly Tristan was. A British man taking physical aspects of a Hindu god and placing it on a naked (presumably India) woman during a time when India was colonized was really unnecessary to the story. I’m not Indian so I can’t really remark on this too much, but it seemed served no purpose other to make him seem exotic and different.

When it comes to historical fiction or historical romance, I don’t mind when the world has characters who act according to the time they are living in. As someone who was a history major, I appreciate these historically accurate details. I don’t think modern authors have to change societal norms and customs to make things more equal to fit better with our time. What I do have an issue with is when modern authors use ethnic people or cultural aspects as unnecessary plot devices to make their white characters seem more interesting. The tattoo could have been literally any other design and the outcome would have been the same.

Overall, there are aspects of the story that are awesome and outweighed the issues I had. I loved the premise, Lucie, and incredibly swoon-worthy romance. I will continue to read the next book in this series since I’m attached to the group of women we’ve come to know, but I hope these aspects are brought to the author’s attention so they can be avoided or better represented in her following books.

** Thank you to Berkley for providing me with an arc to review.
I'm sometimes wary of sequels for books that I love. This did not disappoint! It was charming, witty and the characters were quite memorable!

Thank you NetGalley for the ARC of this book. All opinions are my own.
This book was difficult to get through.
There are certain problematic issues when it comes to the representation of Indian/South asian culture.
Starting from the tattoo of God Shiva look alike on hero to the fact that he was chilling in India.
As an Indian myself, there seemed to be a lack of sensitivity to the realities of Colonialism.
This was a DNF for me. This book had a few problematic issues. I don't think I will continue with this series.
Evie Dunmore has managed to bring a contemporary feel to the classic genre of regency romance. I love these characters she has created and I feel connected to them. I happily anticipate the next book in the series.
DNF as I had a hard time reading this book. After reading BRINGING DOWN THE DUKE, I knew I had to read this one. The story starts strong as were introduced with the main characters of the story. I thought the author knew how to write complex characters and since I LOVE character-driven stories, I thought I should read this one. Unfortunately, I felt I had to DNF this book because it was slow. I was bored. There were too much political aspects in this book (in my opinion) to the point that it took the enjoyment out of my reading. I think this book was just not for me.