Cover Image: The Secret Life of Groceries

The Secret Life of Groceries

I come from a long line of "food people"  my dad and brother and sister were all food marketing majors.  So I was very interested to read the insights of Lorr.  this was a good non fiction read.  My sister is reading now, will update when she finishes
We all go to the grocery store, but rarely think about how the food gets there. This book demystifies this process, which discusses how the stores purchase food, the farms these items come from, the intricacy of supply chains, how prices are set, how products are certified, distribution logistics, and how deliveries are coordinated.

My favorite parts of the book were the discussion of the history of the modern-day grocer, with stories of people like Trader Joe that innovated grocery shopping. It was really interesting to hear his take on how creating all of their own products would benefit the customer with low prices and the store with an endless supply and exclusive formations, that result in brand building and customer loyalty.

Thanks to NetGalley for the complimentary copy of this book, I found so many fascinating stories and facts throughout.