Cover Image: Kiss My Cupcake

Kiss My Cupcake

It focuses on two neighboring bars competing for business in a college town, and immediately I spy a delicious enemies-to-lovers trope brewing, chock full of sparks and chemistry. The dual perspectives of Ronan and Blaire help show there's more to each side. Let's just say this book is as sweet as ... cupcakes! But, I like it, it's fun and indulgent and sometimes that's exactly what you need. It's a super quick read, and damn now I just want a cupcake myself! Once the duo gets to know each other and even team up, it gets a heck of a lot cuter and they are so in sync, it's adorable. All that perfection and cuteness finally comes crumbling down in the final acts, and all that rawness and vulnerability is selling this book as more than just a cutesy romance. It has a predictable, sugary sweet ending, but yea, I enjoyed it. Very quick romance read; it was fun, definitely.
I love Helena Hunting. I have never been disappointed by one of her books, and this is no exception. I loved that the characters generally communicated rather than keeping secrets from each other, and I also liked that once they were together, they stayed together. There was no dramatic break up that resulted in one person having to do something extravagant to win them back. It seemed very realistic.
Sweet, flirty, and fun. This is an excellent addition to collections where foodie contemporary romances are popular.
The plot of a romance usually follows a recipe, but this one isn't the kind you can make from a box of Betty Crocker! No, no! This story is well planned, with artfully crafted conversations that are not your average icing on the proverbial cake. I'm a sucker for a concept story and Kiss My Cupcake is the most fun I've had reading! Blaire and Ronan are fun, flirty, and feisty, which make you want them to get to the kissing part, but the rest of the story holds up . . . the cake is not just a vehicle for the icing! Brilliant business sense, playful marketing, and social media contests help to feature what it takes for a small business to survive in the world of corporate banality. Delicious details make for a tasty tale of building a business while falling in love with the competition. Yum!
There is nothing particularly remarkable about this one. The rivalry at the beginning felt super forced, irrational and absurd. It's falling into that trope of the people that hate each other in the beginning and end up falling for each other.
I usually enjoy Helena Hunting's books because they're a mix of fun escape, a tad improbable, and quite steamy. Kiss My Cupcake, on the other hand, didn't quite give me what I was expecting. While that's not necessarily a bad thing, I just never really connected with this book. There wasn't a long-lasting conflict in here, and everything kept wrapping up so neatly the entire time.

I'm also personally not a fan of Quirky Girl™ protagonists made in the image of Zooey Deschanel, so it took me a while to warm up to Blaire, and even when there was a pinch more depth added, there still wasn't a lot going on.

I'm sad that I could fully embrace this novel like I have Hunting's others, but I'm definitely going to keep reading her work. You win some, you lose some.
I loved the chemistry between these two and this was such a fun concept. I can't say that I liked either of the main characters at the beginning, but they definitely grew on me. At places it started to drag a little, especially towards the end with the contest winning, but it was overall a fun read! I hope that Daphne and Lars get their own story.