Cover Image: In a Holidaze

In a Holidaze

This was a delightful holiday read! In the style of Groundhog Day, Maelyn's life keeps resetting to the day she arrives at her annual Christmas gathering. She remembers everything from the times before, but doesn't manage to change enough to keep from dying and resetting once again...until the time she does.
In a Holidaze is the second book I have read by Christina Lauren and it won’t be the last.  I thoroughly enjoyed the storyline and I’m normally not one for  repeating the day tropes.  The characters were relatable, funny, quirky, and lovable. (Every one needs a Benny in their life!) The pace moved quickly and consistently.  I couldn’t put it down and finished it in a day.  Maelyn is the type of character that you’d love to go get drinks with to catch up on life.  She’s not too perfect and not too flawed but just enough to keep you on your toes.  I would definitely recommend this if you need a little pick me up read.
Christina Lauren are quickly becoming one of my favorite author duos. I love all of their books including this lighthearted and fun holiday romance that explores the topics of family and friendship and love and the importance of all of the above. The cozy Christmas cabin was such a fun setting for this story and made it feel that much more homey and warm. I would say out of all the books I have read from this author duo this one had the most family to it and in turn some family drama. The characters were fun and quirky and different and felt like whole people with real depth and thoughts and emotions. Highly recommend for a sweet friends to lovers, holiday romance.

Thanks to netgalley for providing a free ARC for review.

holiday reading vlog in which I read this book in 2 days because Christina Lauren's books never last longer than that
This writing duo have penned some of my favorites books and quite possibly, my favorite book ever in Love and Other Words. I read everything by these two that I can get my hands on so I was truly looking forward to their latest, In a Holidaze.
That said, this novel wasn't my favorite. The main reason for this was that there was a time traveling aspect throughout that threw me a bit. For some reason, time travel seems to be a popular idea with several best-selling authors lately, and while that isn't a deal-breaker for me, I didn't love it in this particular story. It all felt a bit disjointed and took away from my enjoyment of the novel as a whole. That said, I ended up really loving the characters and their story and I ended up giving it 3.5 stars. I rounded up here because I don't think you can ever go wrong with a Christina Lauren book.
I absolutely loved, “In a Holidaze” by Christina Lauren. It was the perfect holiday rom-com! Witty banter, love story, friends turned lovers- with authenticity, characters with depth and it just showed such a realistic relationship between the two main characters. It was my first book by Christina Lauren and it certainly will not be my last!! Best holiday read of the season for me!
Yet another great offering from Christina Lauren, this is tightly crafted and has a healthy amount of suspense - loved it!
Unfortunately, I didn't love this one. I am a HUGE Christina Lauren fan but this one fell short. While I enjoyed the cozy backdrop and holiday feel, I felt the plot was silly.
I enjoyed a lot of this book.  The strange time traveling (if that's what it was?) needed a more thorough explanation. Alternatively, as it was dropped pretty quickly, it could have been left out and the solid romance at the core of the book would have been the better for it.
This book felt like the Christmas version of the “Groundhog Day” movie. There were parts of the story that I enjoyed especially the Christmas traditions. At times I felt like the main characters in the book were a bit juvenile at times. This book had a lot of young adult vibes for me and it was hard for me to believe they are adults. Also I wanted her to pick the other brother. #TeamTheo
As with the last few Christina Lauren books, I liked this, but I didn't love it. The concept of the heroine time traveling after she messes up the weekend didn't entirely work for me. It almost feels like she's choosing her own adventure with the way she resets when she, presumably, dies. That aspect was odd, rather than it being truly like Groundhog Day where she resets every 24 hours until she gets it right.

I was entertained the whole way through and never contemplated a DNF, but I also wasn't truly invested in the romance. In fact, I found myself wishing that there was a true love triangle between the brothers, because most of the tension comes from the time travel and everyone's worry that Theo will be hurt, but then nothing comes of Theo really at all. Why make all that noise like it's a love triangle when it's not? Andrew and Maelyn are nice together, but I didn't really feel the strong passion, and I think what was missing was Andrew's pov perhaps. Mae's been in love with him for ages and pining, but she confesses her love and it's 0 to 60. Did he actually already have a crush on her? I think I needed to understand his emotional arc, and I didn't.

This one did feel like a Hallmark or Netflix Christmas movie to me, which isn't a normal Christina Lauren vibe, but perhaps that's the next evolution of their style. If you like those films, you'll probably enjoy the book.
I enjoyed this book.  It was a good story with strong characters.  I give it 4 stars and a strong recommendation.
I really enjoyed the newest book by these authors. It was a nice fun holiday read the make you think of groundhogs day meets a romantic comedy. I did appreciate that it only reset twice but found it interesting that every time she went back she learned more. It was hard for her to understand that what she wanted and what she needed were different. Overall this is a very good book and worth reading.
I am a huge fan of Christina Lauren. These two authors have quickly become a must read for me. In a Holidaze was no different.

One of Mae’s favorite times of the year is Christmas. They have a big Christmas tradition at a cabin with close family friends. This years Christmas didn’t go as planned. There are things she would like to have done differently. She can’t figure out why she keeps reliving these days in her version of ground hogs day.

This was a fun holiday read that I can see myself reading again.
Liked but didn’t love. I can’t say that’s the books fault - I think I just wasn’t in the mood! I enjoyed the family dynamics and relationships across families a lot. Will try again at the beginning of the holiday season next year!
I always enjoy the couples we meet in all the Christina Lauren books.  This was definitely a fun groundhog day type story.  It was charming ride with Mae, I liked to see her become more sure of herself each time the day started over. A fun, holiday read with a just a bit of steaminess.
I thought this was the perfect holiday book. Just enough holiday cheer mixed with romance. The Groundhog’s Day premise was interesting and different and I actually liked that Mae only repeated her day 3 times. Any more and I think it would have felt repetitive. As I’ve come to expect from Christina Lauren books, the ending was incredibly cheesy but in this case I think it added to the charm.

In a Holidaze meets Groundhogs Day meets holiday rom com. Ah I loved In a Holidaze so much going back and reliving everything Mae had done trying to figure out what she needs to do in order to get things right and to stop reliving their holiday vacation. It was a nice fresh storyline with a holiday twist.

I am not the Hallmark holiday movies kind of girl, I know, I know some of you might have gasped at that and whispered, "What is wrong with you?" So, I thought maybe I might not like this story, but I am so glad I was wrong on that and loved it. The big family fun and shenanigans was such a nice touch.

I was rooting for Mae and Andrew (her childhood crush) and had a feeling he had to do with what she had to get right. Definitely a cute holiday read!
I thought this one was fun and it had a little bit of everything! What would you do if you have a chance to redo something and find your happy? Maelyn gets a holiday do over that is fun and charming and a little head shaking! Communication my friends is key!!! I didn’t think the book was super repetitive and that was my worry when you see it’s a “Groundhog Day” like read!

What I loved were the different personalities all squeezed into that house! It reminded me of my friend group and something we always joke about making a reality someday! At its heart this is a story about family and friends and the bonds you keep even if you don’t live next door to them anymore. It’s about unlikely love thats been in front of you the whole time. It’s about second chances and making things right. This story warmed my heart and I can’t wait to discuss it with the authors tonight!
Originally reviewed on Forever Young Adult on 12/2/2020: http://foreveryoungadult.com/2020/12/02/in-a-holidaze/

BOOK REPORT for In a Holidaze by Christina Lauren

Deck The Halls: Merry And Bright
Naughty or Nice List: Nice
Melt My Marshmallows: Squishy And Sweet
On A Scale from The Grinch to Buddy The Elf: Hallmark Should Take Notes

Deck The Halls: Merry And Bright

While that bright green doesn’t exactly scream “Christmas!” to me, it does catch the eye and stand out from all the other snow-covered house/landscape covers, and once you’re looking you'll notice the twinkle lights and the ornaments. So I guess I’d say it does its job.

What’s Going On In Santa’s Workshop:

Maelyn Jones LOVES Christmas with her family, especially this year when it breaks up the monotony of her unfulfilling job, her lackluster love life, and distracts from the fact that she had to move back in with her mom and new step-dad. Her "Christmas family" consists of her parents’ college BFFs and their children, and their annual tradition of spending the week at the Hollis’ Utah cabin has been going strong for more than two decades...which is why it’s so upsetting to Mae when she learns that Lisa and Ricky are selling the cabin.

Coupling that with a regrettable late-night make out session with the younger Hollis brother, Theo, Mae is at a low, low point as they head to the airport. She throws out a call to the universe to show her what would really make her happy. Right after, her dad gets into a car accident and they wake up on the plane—heading TO Utah, about to relive the entire week again. Mae is the only one who notices they've done this all before. Is this her chance to make a change, or is she stuck in some kind of weird Christmas limbo?

Naughty or Nice List: Nice

Mae isn’t as forthright about her wants and needs as much as she could be, but don’t many of us have issues standing up for ourselves? She also goes a little cuckoo as she relives the same first few days over and over, trying to parse through the right actions she needs to take to actually get through the full week, but I can’t really blame her for being freaked. Nothing she does is so over-the-top ridiculous—compared to many Christmas romances I read—and I think that’s because authors Christina Lauren know what they’re doing in the rom-com department.

Melt My Marshmallows: Squishy And Sweet

So I know I mentioned Mae’s moment with Theo above, but her heart has actually secretly belonged to his older brother, Andrew, since she was thirteen and realized how a chiseled jaw and floppy hair got her heart a-fluttering. But Andrew has never seen her as anything but “kid sister” Mae, and even if he did, if he ever found out she kissed Theo, it’d be over. Luckily for Mae, no one else remembers anything from the “previous” timelines, so this might be the time for her to be bold and honest about what she wants.

I’ll admit at first I was totally expecting this to be a surprise romance in which she realizes Theo is the one for her but…spoiler alert, it wasn’t. But after I got that notion out of my head, Mae's moments with Andrew were sweet and just dirty enough (if you’ve read Christina Lauren, you know they can go DIRTY in certain books, but tend to stay hard PG-13 in their rom-coms).

We Got (Christmas) Spirit, Yes We Do!

This was exactly the right amount of Christmas cheer I needed to get into the spirit this holiday season. Since Mae goes back in time to the beginning of her vacation, we get to see all the annual traditions and even the start of some potential new ones. There’s something so cozy about everyone bunked up in unusual sleeping arrangements and in close proximity that brings to mind family vacations where everyone actually likes each other. As someone who considers some of her best friends from college like siblings, I loved the idea of them all getting together every year specifically to be with their found family, even through tough things Mae’s parents’ divorce.

Mistletropes

What Christmas trope isn’t in this book? You’ve got ugly sweaters and Christmas tree lots, snowball fights and snow sculpture contests, presents by the fire and a Christmas-themed scavenger hunt. I can't leave out the wintery backdrop and the cabin in the mountains, along with some skiing and traditional holiday dinners. And of course, lest we forget we’re in a rom-com, some mistletoe action with everyone urging the awkward couple on with evil glee.

On A Scale from The Grinch to Buddy The Elf: Hallmark Should Take Notes

I’d say this book is full-on singing it loud for all to hear with its holiday glee and sweet romance. Plus it’s well-written and fun to be around to boot! I would totally be okay with Christina Lauren giving us a new holiday-themed novel every year.

FTC Full Disclosure: I received my free review copy from Gallery Books. I received neither money nor peanut butter cups in exchange for this review. In a Holidaze is available now.
Super cute book. Very similar to the movie the 12 Dates of Christmas that came out in 2011. Had I not read this before I saw that movie, not sure I would have enjoyed it as much.