Cover Image: In a Holidaze

In a Holidaze

Maelyn Jones loves nothing more than spending Christmas with an extended family of her parents’ dearest friends in a bursting-at-the-seams cabin in Utah. It has been a tradition for her whole life, and brings a plethora of memories, including those surrounding her deep and unrequited love for Andrew, the eldest son of the cabin owners: her mom’s college roommate and her husband. These people are her family to a degree, and when Mae gets drunk at the end of their stay she makes out with Theo, Andrew’s philandering younger brother–who treats her like crap the morning after. And after THAT she learns the cabin is being sold and she’ll never spend Christmas with these folks again. It’s upsetting–even more so than her parents’ divorce several years ago.

While heading for the airport, deeply disappointed Mae makes a wish to find “what will make her happy”. Then fate steps into her path. She’s next conscious on the airplane en route to Utah, a week ahead of the nightmare trip she’d just endured. Armed with the knowledge she’d just gained, Mae tries to make sense of this second chance. Only, she keeps messing up and getting sent back to the airplane to restart the pathway to her happiness.

She finally decides to confide in Benny, one of the original parent-pals, who is a usual co-conspirator. Benny aids Mae in her quest to not be shipped off to the plane, and also to find her happiness. It turns out that Mae is deeply unsatisfied with the state of her life, and she decides to do EVERYTHING differently, like even confessing her longstanding crush on Andrew. It seems to be working, because Andrew is pretty much the best kind of guy, but even he struggles to understand Mae’s predicament. She’s terrified that she’s going to finally get what she so desperately wants, but have it ripped away in a flash of tragedy and return to the danged airplane.

If you like Groundhog Day, and holiday romances, this book is likely going to be a hit for you. Poor Mae has so many fits and starts, and her relationships with these folks are all so strong and yet tenuous. She offends Theo, who has a weird fixation that THEY were supposed to get together, since they are the same age, while Andrew gets mad that there might have been a reality where Mae chose Theo…first. The angst and drama are all so timely placed, I was turning the pages late into the night to get to the HEA, which totally happens, even if Mae hadn’t figured out how entirely her life needed to change if she was going to find her true happiness. I also liked that she needed the help of others to make the happiness of their entire crew grow by leaps. I really enjoyed it, even though it’s pretty low on the steam factor for New Adult romance.
I love Holiday books, and I always enjoy Christina Lauren. In a Holidaze was no exception. Its fluffy, Christmas cheeriness was exactly what I needed to get me in the holiday spirit.

Maelyn Jones has spent every Christmas since she was born at a cabin in Utah with two other families. One of the families has two sons. One is Mae’s age and one is a couple of years older, and he’s the one she has crushed on since junior high.
“If you put all of my favorite things in a Willy Wonka machine, I’m pretty sure Andrew Hollis is the candy that would come out.”

The cabin is her favorite place, but this is a rough year for Mae. Her life is falling apart and she just found out it may be the last Christmas there. After a major screw-up in a weak, drunk moment, Mae asks the universe to show her the path to happiness.

And Bam! The whole trip starts over again like Goundhog day, giving Mae another few chances to get it right.

I really enjoyed getting to know this family. There were a lot of characters introduced at the same time, but they were extras. We never really got to know any of them except stoner Uncle Benny, Andrew and Mae. Still, I loved their holiday traditions and the warm, loving way that they enjoyed the holidays together.

With some fun, sweet and loving moments, and a few that made me tear up, Christina Lauren brought a new holiday romance that may end up on my annual re-read list
“Don’t be coy, Andrew Polley Hollis, you know you’re my favorite thing.”

Likes:

•A warm, feel-good Christmas romance.
•The family traditions.
•Uncle Benny.
•Sweet and heartwarming.
•I loved the ending.

Dislikes:

•There were a lot of characters to get straight.
•The time travel/groundhog day theme seemed to have just fizzled out by the end.

The Down & Dirty:
If Groundhog Day meets a Hallmark Christmas Movie sounds appealing to you, then In a Holidaze by Christina Lauren will fit the bill perfectly. This old-friends-to-lovers romance was filled with  friends, family, traditions, romance, and holiday spirit. I smiled, laughed, and teared up. What more could I want from a book?

Rating: 4 stars, 3.5 Heat
I loved this sweet holiday book! I blew through it in an evening and loved the character development and romance!!
Christina Lauren are the queens of romance. The Holidaze was so heartwarming and funny!! Exactly what you want from a holiday romcom.
IN A HOLIDAZE is a light and festive read that’s perfect for the holidays. The characters were likable and the romance was cute. It just didn’t “wow” me like previous Christina Lauren books have. While these characters were likable, they didn’t stick out for me like some in their previous novels. Overall, it’s light, funny, and a nice palate cleanser to read around Christmas.
This was such a great holiday read! I loved the characters and their banter that they shared. The main character was easy to care about and her relationship with the family friends was so adorable and genuine. I gave this 3 stars because I believe it could have been much shorter. Although the plot of the story is repetition, I do think for the reader it was hard to stay engrossed.
This was such a cute, fun holiday story! Christina Lauren never fails to entertain me, and this book was no exception. The holiday hijinks were so fun, and I will be rereading this in the future.
Great Holiday romance ehhh maybe. It reminds me of 50 first dates. She’s stuck in a loop and not a very good one at that.
IN A HOLIDAZE is like Growndhogs Day meets A Christmas Carol. The main character finds herself repeating the same vacation over and over. The moral of the story was to show her what really matters and what's important in life. There were a few thing that I found lacking with the way the story played out. Like some things were just too easy. For example the people she told about repeating her day over and over, just sort of believe her without much convincing. Then I felt like there should have been something more to the ending, but I can't quite place my finger on what was missing. I'm torn on whether to give this book 3 or 4 stars. Overall I really enjoyed the story and thought it was a cute romance with a lot of heart. Would I recommend it to others? YES. Would I read it again? Probably not.
3.5 stars! This is a super cute, fun, and wholesome holiday read. Because of that, it is a perfect read to end the year with, but that being said, it's your average romance story.

I really appreciated the heartwarming family/friend dynamics that this story revolved around. This was a major highlight of the book, and I enjoyed that aspect. While blood family is important, those you can choose to be "family" are also just as important. Not to mention, the great depiction of a divorced couple actually getting along was portrayed. So much nostalgia and I wanted to run off to a wintery cabin after reading this.

Another aspect that I liked was found as we are following Mae on her journey (over and over again) and are given the message of the importance of going for what you want and not being afraid of change...how traditions are important, but not everything. For such a simple and cute (and dare I say cheesy?) book, I feel like everyone can take this message into their own lives.

Aside from all of that, it was all just okay, but not at all in a bad way. Quick and easy! Lighthearted and good for what it's meant for, but overall, not super memorable, BUT THAT'S OKAY!
This was a light and entertaining holiday read, that included just as much "holiday" vibe to evoke Christmas nostalgia, but still be readable all year long. Highly recommend to anyone who is looking for a reprieve from holiday stress.
Groundhog Day at Christmastime. That’s all you need to know. I loooooved this one (and I’ve read nearly everything by this duo).
Hum ... a little slow for me to get into the story at the beginning.  The heroine had a time lapse (car accident woke up on a plane) repeat the last week.  She is super confused and everyone is worried she lost her marbles.  There were some make-out  and freak-out shenanigans going on with another brother.  Then the plot took a different turn.  I guess I was not feeling the “back to the future” thing.  I rather enjoyed last 2/3rd of the book when Mae and Andrew relationship started to develop.  I like the childhood friends to lovers trope.  Super cute. These two known each other their whole life, spent holidays together,  have been friends forever until they begin to see each other in a different light.  I like all the dialogues and flirty banters. Awesome chemistry going on as well as some angst.  Overall, it was a charming read.  Great way to get into Christmas spirits 🎄
Christina Lauren really know how to write romance! i've been a huge fan since stumbling upon them last year and read their backlog! This was a perfect holiday read to end 2020 and gave us something happy and fluffy but of course with that wicked steamy side we all are obsessed with in their books! Im not sure what they are going to throw at us next, but im so here for it!
A new favorite in one my favorite genres - I will definitely be recommending this as a holiday read next year as well!
I was enjoying this CLo take on Groundhogs day until the last 50ish pages. That’s where they lost me. It seemed to change its tune and went a little sideways. And that grand gesture? More of a bland gesture.

And don’t get me started on that epilogue. Excuse me while I take a nap at how predictable it was.

Also, my *wish* is that these authors stop taking jabs at fraternity men in each of their books. They need to stop perpetuating a false stereotype and alienating their Greek readers.

I felt there were too many characters and it made it difficult to keep up with. I was let down by how many times “sunshine” was used to describe Andrew in one chapter - it felt lazy and uninspired.

Other than that, it was a nice light and fluffy holiday themed read with just a dash of some magic. I would have liked it more if the last 50 pages went differently.
Just finished this sweet holiday romance. I have never read anything by Christina Lauren until now, and it certainly will not be my last!
In a Holidaze was a fun and sweet book, a great read over Christmas break.  However, I almost gave up on it.  It became too repetitive for a while and I lost interest and almost just started another book, but when I get a free review copy I feel a certain obligation to finish the book, so I stuck with it and I'm so glad I did.  The story started moving on quickly shorty after the point I almost gave up.  I loved all the characters, especially Benny, and I'd say more but I don't want to spoil any of the book's suprises.  I'm adding this one to my Christmas book list.  It gets a read every year from now on.  I just loved it.
I enjoyed this book. Not a page turner but it held my interest and it was a great escape. Christmas stories definitely are stories I enjoy throughout the year.
I DO like the authors’ writing style - cute personal details included so the reader can really picture things. However, as much as I have enjoyed other books they have written, this one was seriously lacking. It was lacking in plot, believability, and did I say plot? Disappointing.