Cover Image: In a Holidaze

In a Holidaze

This book felt like the Christmas version of the “Groundhog Day” movie. There were parts of the story that I enjoyed especially the Christmas traditions. At times I felt like the main characters in the book were a bit juvenile at times. This book had a lot of young adult vibes for me and it was hard for me to believe they are adults. Also I wanted her to pick the other brother. #TeamTheo
As with the last few Christina Lauren books, I liked this, but I didn't love it. The concept of the heroine time traveling after she messes up the weekend didn't entirely work for me. It almost feels like she's choosing her own adventure with the way she resets when she, presumably, dies. That aspect was odd, rather than it being truly like Groundhog Day where she resets every 24 hours until she gets it right.

I was entertained the whole way through and never contemplated a DNF, but I also wasn't truly invested in the romance. In fact, I found myself wishing that there was a true love triangle between the brothers, because most of the tension comes from the time travel and everyone's worry that Theo will be hurt, but then nothing comes of Theo really at all. Why make all that noise like it's a love triangle when it's not? Andrew and Maelyn are nice together, but I didn't really feel the strong passion, and I think what was missing was Andrew's pov perhaps. Mae's been in love with him for ages and pining, but she confesses her love and it's 0 to 60. Did he actually already have a crush on her? I think I needed to understand his emotional arc, and I didn't.

This one did feel like a Hallmark or Netflix Christmas movie to me, which isn't a normal Christina Lauren vibe, but perhaps that's the next evolution of their style. If you like those films, you'll probably enjoy the book.
I enjoyed this book.  It was a good story with strong characters.  I give it 4 stars and a strong recommendation.
I really enjoyed the newest book by these authors. It was a nice fun holiday read the make you think of groundhogs day meets a romantic comedy. I did appreciate that it only reset twice but found it interesting that every time she went back she learned more. It was hard for her to understand that what she wanted and what she needed were different. Overall this is a very good book and worth reading.
I am a huge fan of Christina Lauren. These two authors have quickly become a must read for me. In a Holidaze was no different.

One of Mae’s favorite times of the year is Christmas. They have a big Christmas tradition at a cabin with close family friends. This years Christmas didn’t go as planned. There are things she would like to have done differently. She can’t figure out why she keeps reliving these days in her version of ground hogs day.

This was a fun holiday read that I can see myself reading again.
Liked but didn’t love. I can’t say that’s the books fault - I think I just wasn’t in the mood! I enjoyed the family dynamics and relationships across families a lot. Will try again at the beginning of the holiday season next year!
I always enjoy the couples we meet in all the Christina Lauren books.  This was definitely a fun groundhog day type story.  It was charming ride with Mae, I liked to see her become more sure of herself each time the day started over. A fun, holiday read with a just a bit of steaminess.
I thought this was the perfect holiday book. Just enough holiday cheer mixed with romance. The Groundhog’s Day premise was interesting and different and I actually liked that Mae only repeated her day 3 times. Any more and I think it would have felt repetitive. As I’ve come to expect from Christina Lauren books, the ending was incredibly cheesy but in this case I think it added to the charm.

In a Holidaze meets Groundhogs Day meets holiday rom com. Ah I loved In a Holidaze so much going back and reliving everything Mae had done trying to figure out what she needs to do in order to get things right and to stop reliving their holiday vacation. It was a nice fresh storyline with a holiday twist.

I am not the Hallmark holiday movies kind of girl, I know, I know some of you might have gasped at that and whispered, "What is wrong with you?" So, I thought maybe I might not like this story, but I am so glad I was wrong on that and loved it. The big family fun and shenanigans was such a nice touch.

I was rooting for Mae and Andrew (her childhood crush) and had a feeling he had to do with what she had to get right. Definitely a cute holiday read!
I thought this one was fun and it had a little bit of everything! What would you do if you have a chance to redo something and find your happy? Maelyn gets a holiday do over that is fun and charming and a little head shaking! Communication my friends is key!!! I didn’t think the book was super repetitive and that was my worry when you see it’s a “Groundhog Day” like read!

What I loved were the different personalities all squeezed into that house! It reminded me of my friend group and something we always joke about making a reality someday! At its heart this is a story about family and friends and the bonds you keep even if you don’t live next door to them anymore. It’s about unlikely love thats been in front of you the whole time. It’s about second chances and making things right. This story warmed my heart and I can’t wait to discuss it with the authors tonight!
Originally reviewed on Forever Young Adult on 12/2/2020: http://foreveryoungadult.com/2020/12/02/in-a-holidaze/

BOOK REPORT for In a Holidaze by Christina Lauren

Deck The Halls: Merry And Bright
Naughty or Nice List: Nice
Melt My Marshmallows: Squishy And Sweet
On A Scale from The Grinch to Buddy The Elf: Hallmark Should Take Notes

Deck The Halls: Merry And Bright

While that bright green doesn’t exactly scream “Christmas!” to me, it does catch the eye and stand out from all the other snow-covered house/landscape covers, and once you’re looking you'll notice the twinkle lights and the ornaments. So I guess I’d say it does its job.

What’s Going On In Santa’s Workshop:

Maelyn Jones LOVES Christmas with her family, especially this year when it breaks up the monotony of her unfulfilling job, her lackluster love life, and distracts from the fact that she had to move back in with her mom and new step-dad. Her "Christmas family" consists of her parents’ college BFFs and their children, and their annual tradition of spending the week at the Hollis’ Utah cabin has been going strong for more than two decades...which is why it’s so upsetting to Mae when she learns that Lisa and Ricky are selling the cabin.

Coupling that with a regrettable late-night make out session with the younger Hollis brother, Theo, Mae is at a low, low point as they head to the airport. She throws out a call to the universe to show her what would really make her happy. Right after, her dad gets into a car accident and they wake up on the plane—heading TO Utah, about to relive the entire week again. Mae is the only one who notices they've done this all before. Is this her chance to make a change, or is she stuck in some kind of weird Christmas limbo?

Naughty or Nice List: Nice

Mae isn’t as forthright about her wants and needs as much as she could be, but don’t many of us have issues standing up for ourselves? She also goes a little cuckoo as she relives the same first few days over and over, trying to parse through the right actions she needs to take to actually get through the full week, but I can’t really blame her for being freaked. Nothing she does is so over-the-top ridiculous—compared to many Christmas romances I read—and I think that’s because authors Christina Lauren know what they’re doing in the rom-com department.

Melt My Marshmallows: Squishy And Sweet

So I know I mentioned Mae’s moment with Theo above, but her heart has actually secretly belonged to his older brother, Andrew, since she was thirteen and realized how a chiseled jaw and floppy hair got her heart a-fluttering. But Andrew has never seen her as anything but “kid sister” Mae, and even if he did, if he ever found out she kissed Theo, it’d be over. Luckily for Mae, no one else remembers anything from the “previous” timelines, so this might be the time for her to be bold and honest about what she wants.

I’ll admit at first I was totally expecting this to be a surprise romance in which she realizes Theo is the one for her but…spoiler alert, it wasn’t. But after I got that notion out of my head, Mae's moments with Andrew were sweet and just dirty enough (if you’ve read Christina Lauren, you know they can go DIRTY in certain books, but tend to stay hard PG-13 in their rom-coms).

We Got (Christmas) Spirit, Yes We Do!

This was exactly the right amount of Christmas cheer I needed to get into the spirit this holiday season. Since Mae goes back in time to the beginning of her vacation, we get to see all the annual traditions and even the start of some potential new ones. There’s something so cozy about everyone bunked up in unusual sleeping arrangements and in close proximity that brings to mind family vacations where everyone actually likes each other. As someone who considers some of her best friends from college like siblings, I loved the idea of them all getting together every year specifically to be with their found family, even through tough things Mae’s parents’ divorce.

Mistletropes

What Christmas trope isn’t in this book? You’ve got ugly sweaters and Christmas tree lots, snowball fights and snow sculpture contests, presents by the fire and a Christmas-themed scavenger hunt. I can't leave out the wintery backdrop and the cabin in the mountains, along with some skiing and traditional holiday dinners. And of course, lest we forget we’re in a rom-com, some mistletoe action with everyone urging the awkward couple on with evil glee.

On A Scale from The Grinch to Buddy The Elf: Hallmark Should Take Notes

I’d say this book is full-on singing it loud for all to hear with its holiday glee and sweet romance. Plus it’s well-written and fun to be around to boot! I would totally be okay with Christina Lauren giving us a new holiday-themed novel every year.

FTC Full Disclosure: I received my free review copy from Gallery Books. I received neither money nor peanut butter cups in exchange for this review. In a Holidaze is available now.
Super cute book. Very similar to the movie the 12 Dates of Christmas that came out in 2011. Had I not read this before I saw that movie, not sure I would have enjoyed it as much.
'In a Holidaze" by Christina Lauren features a trope that I am beginning to realize I don't really care for. The Groundhog Day trope. Reliving the same day over and over...and over again just is not my jam. The overall plot was cute and I definitely enjoyed some aspects but I did not feel a real connection with any of the characters. I also didn't really feel the chemistry between them.
I really enjoyed this story, definitely a different take on Christmas. Lauren’s writing style is easy to fall into and flows throughout the entire book for an enjoyable relaxing read.
This book was a delight to read, and really put me in the holiday spirit! I love a good romcom novel, as long as the story isn't too Hallmark-esque, and this one really worked for me. I absolutely adored the setting of the cabin, and it made me feel nostalgic about holidays spent at my grandparent's sprawling house. While it would have been nice to have a little more insight into why the main character was experiencing this Groundhog Day-type situation, it didn't detract from my enjoyment of this novel. I think this will definitely be one that I reread around the holidays in the future!
Another winner from Christina Lauren and a great holiday reading vibe! Enjoyed the romance and the supporting cast.
This is a totally new author for me. Someone has recommended it, and I have tried it. This book was surprisingly good!  Good plot and writing. What I like the most about it was the fact that I could relate to the character from the book. This author is now on my favorite list!!
In A Holidaze
By Christina Lauren

I need to believe that things will be better, that wishes do come true! I want to feel the Christmas love and joy the holiday season brings. This hilarious time loop story brought the charm, and yuletide cheer. Christina Lauren delivered the magic that I needed.

Written in their signature style - adorable and relatable characters. This fun, feel good and festive read put me in the right mood.

Check this one out! One of my faves!
A somewhat slighter book from romance powerhouse Christina Lauren. I didn't enjoy this one as much as some of their past books (I think Roomies is their best), but it was still distracting holiday fun.
Love Christina Lauren. Always a fun easy uplifting read. Not my favorite of theirs but still worth recommending to others. It was the perfect fluffy Christmas break read I needed.