Cover Image: A Joyful Christmas

A Joyful Christmas

Hardships to romance. Touching  historical stories that will warm your holiday season. Each so different but with such wonderful endings.
These can touch you throughout the year. Wonderful characters with wonderful stories!
Romance, clean, period; collection; Christian faith elements
Collection of Christmas romance, some set in the Civil War.  I chose to review this collection as I love one of the authors.  This was a mixed read for me. Some of the novellas were strong and compelling, with good pacing and natural resolution. Others felt a bit forced, or rushed. Novellas are a tricky genre sometimes to 'complete' a story without those faults. All in all though, it was a fun holiday read, and a fun way to pass some time.  Would still recommend to others to read.
I received an ARC from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review. My opinions are my own.
A Joyful Christmas is a collection of six historical Christmas novellas written by Cynthia Hickey, Liz Johnson, Vickie McDonough, Liz Tolsma, Carrie Turansky, and Erica Vetsch.

The novellas, A Christmas Castle, A Star in the Night, An Irish Bride for Christmas, Under His Wings, Shelter in the Storm, and Christmas Service, are an unconnected collection that span several years and locations. It’s difficult to pick a favorite because each has a part that will tug on your heart. From cattlemen and lumbermen aiming to protect to wounded men torn between love and duty. All of them meet strong women whose care breaks down defenses, giving both a chance to experience joy once again.

If you’re a fan of an enjoyable Historical romance (or six!) set around Christmas, then definitely grab a copy of A Joyful Christmas.

---
I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley and Barbour Books. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with FTC guidelines.
This was a wonderful Christmas read. This book is made up of six historical, Christian fiction that are all set at Christmas. There is not a lot of Christmas cheer, but there is information about how Christmas was celebrated in past years. There is a variety of settings such as the Civil War, Gold Rush time and in Arizona in the 1800s. Not only are they set at various times, but the plots are totally different such as hiding a soldier, proxy bride, trying to keep custody of a minor relative and more. I did not like the stories all the same but they were all good. Even in novellas, the plots were well-developed with great characters. There was a Christian overtone to all the stories, as well as love and romance. I think my favourite story was An Irish Bride for Christmas by Vickie McDonough followed closely by A Christmas Castle by Cynthia Hickey. If you are looking for some heartwarming, Christian Christmas romance in small doses (I read this one over a few days, one story a day) then this is a great pick for you.
Historical fiction is my favorite genre, and these stories are an uplifting way to get into the holiday spirit. They are wholesome and romantic. I have been sitting down to read one as I snuggle under my Christmas quilt each evening. I really like how I can finish the stories in one sitting. I feel transported to the different historical times, and I like knowing that good will prevail in the stories. They have a Christian worldview that is shared in a way that fits the story lines.
I love a good Christmas story so what could be better than 6 Christmas stories in one book. Some of my favorite authors and all the novellas getting me into the holiday spirit. All six stories are worth reading. Are they all great? No but it's hard to develop a storyline when the writer has to cram everything into a short story. A couple of the stories could actually be developed into a full length novel! But my Christmas cravings were satisfied! Curl up with some hot chocolate and a fuzzy blanket and enjoy the season!
I voluntarily received a copy of this book from Netgalley.
One of the things I enjoy doing as the end of the year approaches is curling up with a good Christmas-themed book.  Somehow, doing this gets me prepped for the sights, activities, and sounds of the season. If this is something you also enjoy doing, then this book is an excellent choice to jumpstart your holidays.
The six novellas in this book have been crafted by authors who are great at providing readers with laughter, tears, and heartfelt moments that will be remembered long after the stories have ended.

I voluntarily reviewed an Advanced Reader Copy of this book provided by the publisher and Net Galley but the thoughts expressed are my own.
It snowed last night so the desire to start "Christmasing" is all consuming.  This is a great book to get yourself in the Christmas spirit with or without snow.

The six stories are just the right amount of read to enjoy one every couple of nights.  Each one had me thinking of Christmas in a different way it seemed.

I enjoyed the book and recommend it as a great way to get into the holiday spirit!

I received an ARC from NetGalley to prepare for this honest review.
This is a collection of enjoyable stories written by talented authors.   These stories are shorter in length, but the authors did a great job of making each story seem complete.  I liked all of the couples in these stories, and there was enough variety in the storylines that I didn’t feel as if the stories were repeating themselves as I was reading.  If you enjoy Christian historical fiction, you’ll enjoy these stories with Christmas as the background for each story.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher.  All opinions are my own.
I love a good Christmas story and this book delivers!!  A time so magical and wonderful that this book will surely melt your heart!!
If you are looking for short, sweet, Christmas themed historical fiction - this Novella Collection is for you!
If you like historical fiction period, I think you will truly enjoy it.
It's one of those books perfect to curl up by the fire with a hot cup of tea and read.

This was my first time reading work by any of these authors and I was not disappointed

Each tale was special and unique in its own way.
Definitely a collection worth checking out!

***Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for the digital ARC of this book. All views and opinions expressed in this review are my own.***
Six historical romance novellas set around Christmas time. I had not read any of the authors' works except for Erica Vetsch's, whom I had identified as an author to look out for as a result of reading her work in a previous collection of novellas. Most of the stories were fairly enjoyable -  I struggled a bit with some of the writing styles in others. But I'm too fussy sometimes – I'm sure some readers will enjoy all of them!

The spiritual elements are light where the main characters are Christians and pray. I would call these wholesome romance stories with a Christian setting. The one by Erica Vetsch does carry a Christian truth skillfully woven into the story. I do not read fiction for spiritual inspiration but when it happens, it's a bonus!
A great collection of Christmas romance by an amazing group of authors. These cozy novellas are sure to make you swoon! Definitely a must.
A Joyful Christmas is a collection of six historical novellas. These novellas include:
A Christmas Castle by Cynthia Hickey
A Star in the Night by Liz Johnson
An Irish Bride for Christmas by Vickie McDonough
Under His Wings by Liz Tolsma
Shelter in the Storm by Carrie Turansky
Christmas Service by Erica Vetsch
I enjoyed every one of these stories. If I had to choose a favorite, it would have to be Vickie McDonough’s An Irish Bride for Christmas. I am giving the whole collection four and a half stars.
6 beautiful historical heartwarming stories. They will make you smile and give you the holiday spirit. I highly recommend this one. I really enjoyed this one even though I don't usually enjoy short stories. This one goes on the home library Christmas shelf.
This book is a gem! You will love each and every story in it and will find yourself excited to see how they turn out. Great to read all year - even if it isn’t the Christmas season!
Fun collection of Christmas short stories! Wonderful authors coming together to give you five stories in place of one!!

Thank you to NetGalley for an advance reader copy in exchange for a fair review.
A Christmas Castle by Cynthia Hickey
Married by proxy in Missouri, Annie Morgan sets off for Tombstone, Arizona, to join her new husband as a cattle rancher. But too soon she finds herself a widow with an unexpected daughter and butting heads with her handsome neighbor.

A Star in the Night by Liz Johnson
Wounded within Confederate territory, Union officer Jedediah Harrington finds refuge at the tiny cabin of Cora Sinclair and her grandfather. Still haunted by what she saw as a battlefield hospital volunteer, Cora finds that only Jed can understand. But, though she longs to give him her heart, the risks to both of them are too great.

An Irish Bride for Christmas by Vickie McDonough
When Jackson Lancaster’s brother and wife die, he takes his three-year-old niece home. But a meddling busy-body makes the judge give her custody “because an unmarried man shouldn’t raise a little girl.” Now Jackson has until Christmas to find a bride or lose his niece forever. Larkin Doyle is grateful her employer took in the orphan and believes Jackson abandoned his niece. When her heart says otherwise, will romance blossom?

Under His Wings by Liz Tolsma
Adie O’Connell, orphaned and left alone in a dangerous Wisconsin logging camp, seeks the stability she once knew when both her parents lived. Despite the compassion and friendship offered by Noah “Preacher Man” Mitchell, she refuses to consider marriage to a man always drifting from one job to another for God.

Shelter in the Storm by Carrie Turansky
The daughter of a wealthy Tennessee doctor, Rachel Thornton begins nursing James Galloway, a wounded artist-war correspondent. As James recovers, their hearts draw closer together. Having already lost one sweetheart to the war, Rachel is hesitant to reveal her feelings for James, who insists on returning to the front lines. Would she be safer in the arms of another man?

Christmas Service by Erica Vetsch
Beth Sorensen has been put in charge of the Christmas pageant at the little log church, and this year she wants something different. But she didn’t count on a Minnesota blizzard paralyzing the whole town. Can the blacksmith teach this preacher’s daughter about what it means to serve one another in love through the storm?

This book is written by several different authors with stories about women in the old west.  The women are strong and capable to handle anything that is thrown their way.  Even taking care of wounded men.

The only story I didn't care for was Christmas Service.  Beth seemed to think no one could get things done except here, so she just did it all.  In the end she saw the error of her way.

Overall it was a quick easy read.

I was given this book by Barbour Publishing via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  I was not compensated in any way.
A lovely collection of inspirational Christmas stories just in time for the season!
As always, Barbour Publishing brings talented authors together to create a delightful collection of stories that will leave readers with a smile on their faces. Feel-good holiday stories with just enough tension and more than enough romance to satisfy an appetite for light, Christmas reads.
Each author brings her own voice and own spin to Christmas tales of faith, hardship and Christmas joy from the 1800s. Some stories have been published before and others are brand new.
You’ll be in for a treat if you pick up this collection.
I received a copy from the publisher through NetGalley. All opinions expressed are my own.
Six joyful Christmas novellas make up this fun, historical Christmas book.

Each novella is set in the Civil War era, emphasizing challenges of the time and how each primary character learned to work with their faith and love.

I enjoyed this sweet, clean romance book and made for a great addition to holiday reading.
I highly recommend this book.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Barbour Publishing and NetGalley and was under no obligation to post a review.