Cover Image: A Little Bit of Karma

A Little Bit of Karma

This was an entertaining novel and very well written.  I loved the character development and felt the characters were very realistic.  Karma sometimes comes full circle.
Many thanks to Gallery Books and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
What a fun read! ReShonda Tate Billingsley is a new author to me and I was charmed by her writing style. Her characters were so vividly developed I felt as though I knew them, even if they frustrated me at times. Janina Edwards’s stellar narration of this audiobook drew me completely into the story. Shannon and Jay Lovejoy host a relationship advice radio show and are thought to be the “perfect couple“. but as we all know nothing is perfect and Jay cheats on Shannon. Now Shannon is not having it, but the couple has already agreed to appear at a convention so she has to put on her best face and act like they are still a happy couple. BUT then Jay’s mistress shows up and all bets are off. now I have to say at this point the book gets a little outlandish, but it was a fun ride. I suppose you would classify this as romantic suspense? But I think it was more like romantic action adventure if that were a genre. I really like Shannon she had a lot of spirit, I also really liked her BFF Nicole. Jay was a smooth talking cheater who I guess by the end kind of grew on me, but the jury is still out. this was just an overall entertaining read with enjoyable characters and some high-octane moments.

This book in emojis  🎤 🍹 🏖 🏩 🧸

*** Big thank you to Gallery and S&S Audio for my gifted copy of this book. All opinions are my own. ***
I knew going into this that it was going to be a soap opera-eque read, and it definitely does not disappoint.

It’s the story of Jay Lovejoy, an R&B singer who hasn’t had a hit in years, and his wife, Dr. Shannon, a successful therapist. The Lovejoys seem to have it all - money, fame, the perfect marriage - and even run a popular relationship podcast but behind the scenes, there is so much drama and everything is definitely not as it seems. Their marriage is falling apart at the seams, and it all comes to a head when Jay’s mistress confronts them while they are guest speakers at the couples therapy weekend. Before they know it, Jay and Dr. Shannon have found themselves wanted for murder and involved in some espionage.

I completely loved this book even though Jay and Dr. Shannon are such unlikeable characters with no real, redeemable characteristics. It’s a true testament of ReShonda Tate Billingsley’s writing, that I was riveted throughout and was fully invested in the story.
This book is a perfect beach read. The characters were each flawed in their own way, but I credit that to good writing to make me dislike a character. The Lovejoys seem like the perfect couple and it all comes crashing down publicly. I had an idea of how the rest of this book would go and wow was I wrong. They get taken on a terrifying adventure. I overall enjoyed this book. I didn't enjoy the way that the premise of the book was that black women need to settle or take men as they are to make things work.
This book starts out with you hating the husband for cheating on his wife. With a cra cra side piece showing up at a couples retreat they are hosting and a whole bunch of disasters ensue, you won’t want this book to end but when it does you will be pleased with the outcome. Thank you NetGalley for the Advanced Reader Copy.
Jay & Shannon's story was great. It touched every emotions.  I love how Ms. Billingsley weaved their lives where you just could not put the book down.  I can't wait for the next book! Again, GREST Book!
I’ll admit that this book had its “very” interesting parts. Jay and Shannon LoveJoy are a power couple who are having marriage woes. After finding out that Jay has cheated, Shannon is hurt and wants out. But the couple gets caught up in a game of conspiracy and murder. Seems, an affair won’t be the only thing that sinks this marriage.

I feel like this story had potential but eventually, that potential went astray. The first half of this book was good...still a bit wonky but good. Readers go through the motions along with the LoveJoys as they try to figure out where their marriage stands. It seemed like we had a clear path until we get to the murder mystery. This second half to the ending had no rhyme or reason, it seemed like the reader was thrown for a loop just as well as the characters. We went from who dunnit, to we know who dunnit, to oh nope not that one to what? The ridiculousness of the kidnapping/murder plot was a mess and then to have this couple turn to sleuths while their marriage was on fire was... a lot but this author does drama well so if you’re of that sort like I am at times, well...

All and all, if chaotic stories and predictable endings are your thing; then A Little Bit of Karma may be your kind of read.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC in exchange for my honest review. There are some authors you come to expect well crafted writing. The middle and part of the ending did not read like a book written by Reshonda Tate Billingsley.

I was intrigued by the synopsis. We have Jay and Shannon Lovejoy, radio hosts with a successful career dispensing love advice. Shannon is a therapist and she is extremely bitter and devastated after she finds out her husband cheated. I get she was hurt but it got annoying. She couldn't function and there was too much money at stake for her to carry on like she did. I was so annoyed.

The plot thickens when the couple are contractually obligated to go on this couple's retreat in the Virgin Islands. This is where the story goes left. Vonda, the mistress shows up and all hell breaks loose. There's a murder, kidnapping and the Lovejoy's on the run. The story starts to not make sense and we got so far away from the root of the couple's issues. There was one crazy unnecessary twist after the other.

The end somewhat redeemed the story which is why I gave the book three stars but I was disappointed.
A very soap-opera-esque read, with a media empire at stake all stemming from the acts of a cheating (and not very likable) husband.  The drama is there, but I just didn't connect with the characters. It took me days to read which indicated that clearly I was just not feeling it. The writing is fine but the story was just not my thing.
This one gets a solid 3.5 stars.
It suffers a bit from not being entirely certain if it's a romance or a mystery thriller. It has enough elements of both to keep things moving at a good pace in the plot, but it never really dives into either genre enough to truly pull you in to what's happening.
Shannon is presented as a strong woman at her weakest, which I actually thought was a great idea, but you can only read about a woman going, "I'm not this weak woman," enough times not to doubt her opinion of what it takes to be a strong woman. Jay is wishy-washy central on everything from taking responsibility to actually talking to his wife about the problems he's having in the relationship, which actually makes a big part of the generally positive message about relationships that the book contains.
The murder mystery is the basic plotline of so many before it and it's solved ridiculously easily if you're used to reading the complex titles that dominate the genre. Thinking on it now, it's probably just a prop to advance the character development of Shannon and Jay...
Overall, I'm not mad I read it but I'm not going to shout from rooftops about it. It's a decent plot with solid writing and character development that delivers a positive message about relationships. Make of that what you will.

Thank you to NetGalley and Gallery Books for the read!
A story that opens with what appears to be a power couple sitting on top of an empire and it is getting ready to explode. You think it will take off because of their successful radio and book. But now it is because the supper married couple who gives advice is having problems. Shannon Lovejoy has found out that her husband Jay had an affair and now she wants to end the marriage and the successful radio show. Explosion right, just when they are to have a weekend with all of their fans in the Virgin Islands.
   There is where the story jumps out with a mystery with the other woman showing up. The frustration of Shannon looking back on their relationship, the little things that cause things to break down. Simple as both not wanting children and then she changes her mind years later. Even me as a guy I get that. It was strange for me to read the interaction between Shannon and some of Jay’s friends from the past when they said she emasculated him and then turned around and really disrespected her by saying they would not be her friend, is that even if they were together. See that is the thing guys (I am one married over 40 years) always want their woman to be supportive of them, and when they feel they’re not, they use that as an excuse. No both are supportive of each other Jay still never took responsibility for his actions of cheating, he did apologize that happened when the mystery part of the story began and that takes over the last part of the book. This is a very good book with very good characters and will keep you entertained from the beginning to the end.
This was a different type of book for the author. The plot twist that happened midway seemed farfetched and out of place. Eventually, towards the end the author fell into her normal writing pattern, including a lesson to be learned, in this case, "Everything happens for a reason." Based on the ending, I see a possible sequel, allowing readers to see how things went for everyone.
From the outside looking in, Jay and Shannon LoveJoy's Marriage is perfect.  Their call in radio show has turned into them being invited to a marriage retreat.  But looks can be deceiving when the couple has to pretend they don't want a divorce when it's discovered Jay has had an affair.  When Jay's mistress turns up dead, the couple is accused of the murder, narrowly escape running home, and they have to not only find the real killers in order to clear their name, they must also work together and decide if they want to continue to stay married to each other.

Although this book is different from the authors usual style, it was none the less a phenomenal read.  I enjoyed the story, and did not expect the twists and turns that were woven throughout the book.   I did not want this story to end.  Although the author normally doesn't do sequels, I would like to see another one to see an update with these characters.  I really enjoyed reading this book, and It will be on one of my top reads for the year.  Amazing job
This was just okay for me.  The ending was hokey and the storyline was lame..  I did finish it so I will give it two stars for that.
This book started out as a slow read for me. When this book picked up you enjoyed the drama and suspense. Billingsley has a way with writing a great novel. I was shocked at the ending. I am looking forward to reading more books by this author.
With a little bit of betrayal, a little bit of humor, a little bit of suspense, and a little bit of everything that makes a great read, A Little Bit if Karma is a page turner. Responds Tate Billingsley penned a novel that engages you from start to finish. Marriage is no cake walk and The Lovejoys are about to take you on an emotional journey that showcase the bitter and the sweet sides of it all.
This book did a bit too much. The “twist” with the dead mistress and the main characters suddenly turning into novice detectives moved this book from relatable to not so much. A bit disappointing.
Okay- this has a lot of drama- a lot- but I kept turning the pages!  Jay and Shannon Lovejoy have put on a united face to the world, especially on their radio program, so much so that Essence Magazine highlighted them.  However (isn't there always a however?), Jay has been cheating on Shannon with Vonda, who turns up at an event.  This leads to a big argument between the three of them which is ad but not as bad at the fact that she then is found dead- in their hotel suite.  Of course, they are suspects but they know they didn't do it.  Who did?  The twists in the second half of the book are well done and kept me guessing.  Thanks to netgalley for the ARC.  Highly entertaining.
ReShonda Tate Billingsley writes  a very evocative and steamy story about the secrets and lies that exist within a what appears to be the perfect marriage.

Shannon and Jay Lovejoy are a rich and successful power couple who are loved and respected by their fans of their call-in radio show.  But after three years, their once passionate and loving romance has fizzled due to  infidelity and deceit and is on the brink of divorce.  While fulfilling their obligations at their couples conference Jay's mistress decides to show up.  This causes chaos all around.  But things really become chaotic when the mistress turns up dead.  Now Shannon and Jay are on the  run attempting to prove their innocence.  During all this stress the couple will begin to reflect on what is important in a marriage and whether they can save theirs.
This was an ARC copy given to me by netgalley.

A Little Bit Of Karma should have been called A Whole Lot Of Karma cuz Karma came through and showed out with this one.

Jay and Shannon Lovejoy are a married couple who gives relationship advice on the radio.  Jay a former R&B singer, Shannon a psychologist.  One would think they would be the perfect couple.  One would be wrong.  The first half of this book takes us through the couple's turmoil while the second half is more of a whodunnit that the  Lovejoys need to figure out in order to stay alive.

When I first began reading this book I thought it would be relationship drama and I continued to wait to see what drama would unfold. When RTB threw that curve ball, I was not ready! It literally kept me on the edge of my seat and i couldn't be happier that things ended the way they did.  My only issue, and I hope when I purchase the hard copy, is that there were some issues between calling one of the characters grandmother and mother. Otherwise 5 star read!