Cover Image: Grown

Grown

I want to thank the author, publisher, and Net Galley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.  I have read other books by this author and couldn’t put them down. This one was no different. Jackson draws you in quickly and keeps you interested.. Not my favorite topic, but an important one, one that needs to be told. I love the family support Enchanted had throughout  this story.  I highly recommend this story.
This is the kind of book that puts the literature in YA. The storytelling and characterization is every bit as nuanced and deep as my English teacher heart could want.

Enchanted Jones is flawed, loveable, confused, and confusing, that is to say a perfectly written teen girl. As she is groomed by an older man, Tiffany Jackson constantly reminds the reader of Enchanted's age, making the power dynamic an ever present part of the story. This is a necessary addition to my class library.

***Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.***
Wow! Grown is one you need to be prepared for. That was just.. wow! Tiffany D. Jackson has written an intense YA thriller with thoughtful social commentary laced throughout. The story may not have been inspired by R Kelly’s abuse, but it is impossible to not draw parallels between the two. Told from the perspective of seventeen year old Enchanted Jones who dreams of being a famous singer and meets the very famous R&B singer Korey Fields who becomes her mentor. Everything seems too good to be true. Korey has a dark side that comes out and everyone around him covers for him. Then one day Enchanted wakes up with blood on her hands and a blacked out memory. Who killed Korey Fields? The story certainly does a good job of examining rape culture, mental health, child abuse, and the treatment of young black girls. The narrative switches between now and then really drawing readers into the mystery well before it’s a factor. One thing that cannot be argued is how incredible of a writer Jackson is. She is phenomenal at what she does writing important, yet captivating novels that have something to truly say. Readers will take something more that just a good read from this book. I’d highly recommend Grown!
Quite possibly my favorite book of 2020. I was hooked from beginning to end. I can’t wait for what Tiffany comes out with next!
This book was SO powerful. Also extremely disturbing. It portrays the complicated relationship between the abused and the abuser in such a realistic way, so much so that you can actually feel the conflicting emotions of Enchanted pulling her in either direction while you’re reading this. This is the second book I’ve read by Tiffany D Jackson now, and both have been so fantastic.

Thanks to Netgalley and HarperCollins/Katherine Tegen Books for an advanced copy of this book.
Such a good book. Tiffany D. Jackson always tells a story that needs to be told. I was enthralled from this book from the very first page. The journey that the characters went on was horrifying but captivating
Enchanted has always wanted to be a singer, and when her audition is rejected for a TV show and star Korey Fields shows an interest in her, she thinks this is her shot. But is it really when Korey takes her away from her family, controls her life, and doesn't always make her feel appreciated?
This novel is exceptional, even when dealing with such a difficult topic. You see the way a predator can entrap a smart person into their web through this story. It's scary to see that even though people loved Enchanted and tried to protect her, in the end she still had to fight for herself and her story to be known and seen as truth.  A haunting tale of an abuse survivor and how society views both the perpetrator and the victim.
I closely followed R. Kelly’s story and watched the document about his abuses towards young girls. This book was very much inspired by that, as is evident in the writing and story itself. I enjoy books that start with the ending first, and use the rest of the book showing you how things reached that conclusion.  This book is a hard read, but a necessary read. The author did a great job writing Enchanted. I found myself feeling so frustrated by her decision making, but also had a glimpse of her state of mind. From a educator perspective, this will lead to so many rich conversations on a tough topic related to race, gender, violence against women, the criminal justice system, and who gets believed when stories like this occur.
I enjoyed Monday’s Not Coming by Tiffany Jackson and was eagerly looking forward to this book.  This is a very well written book about a tough subject. A must read for all but can be difficult subject for some.
Wow, I loved this book. While it was disturbing to read at times, because the subject is so heavy, I think it's an important commentary on how girls, ESPECIALLY Black girls, are often thought of as grown women. Definitely an important read for teens to see power dynamics at work.
Wow, this book was absolutely chilling!

Grown is an utterly addicting contemporary YA thriller about a teenage girl named Enchanted Jones and her toxic relationship with famous singer Korey Fields… who is found dead, alone in a room with blood on Enchanted’s hands. A thriller from start to finish, Jackson uses flashbacks to show the descent of Enchanted and Korey’s relationship from what she thought was a dream mentorship to its reality as an abusive nightmare.

Enchanted was such a compelling character. Her hope and aspirations were so inspiring, which made me root for her so much. Even though the reader knows from the start that her road with Korey will end in the worst possible way, you want so badly for her to achieve her dreams of stardom like she imagines.

Jackson’s writing is really unique and I have felt stunned after finishing each book I’ve read from her. I really recommend her as a standout YA contemporary writer, especially as one who features diverse characters at the forefront of her timely, relevant stories.

It’s important to note that this book includes very sensitive subject matter and includes content warnings at the start of the book, which I thought was a really apt way to caution readers of potential triggers before diving in. So I would definitely recommend you read through the warnings before you begin!

Comparable titles:
Monday’s Not Coming by Tiffany D. Jackson
Whisper Network by Chandler Baker
Shackled by Tom Leveen

***I received an e-ARC from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
When I read Monday’s Not Coming, I was immediately impressed by Tiffany as an author and so I highly looked forward to this book. Oof. This book is very difficult but yet very well done. I think Tiffany did a good job of portraying the harsh realities while not exploiting trauma.
A searing, realistic portrait of the ways an abusive man can completely take over a teen girl's life. Enchanted Jones has a good life - a caring family, a place on the swim team, and a love for music. Sneaking herself into a singing competition, she catches the eye of popular R&B singer Korey Fields. Stardom seems close at hand with the special attention and sweet promises Korey offers Enchanted. But she increasingly finds herself cut off from family and friends and, ultimately, staring at the dead body of Korey Fields. What happened?

This is an important book in many ways. I read it in just a few days, but had to gather my thoughts for a couple months. Having experienced an abusive romantic relationship during my senior year of high school, I can testify that hits the emotional notes perfectly. It also effectively explores our society's cruel treatment of black girls without being voyeuristic. I highly recommend this book for ages 14 and up.
Wow once I started this book I couldn’t put it down. This was my first Tiffany D. Jackson novel and she did not disappoint! I feel this story completely captures the constant struggle us black women have to go through and the criticism and failing of society has on young black girls. Even though the author shares that this book is a work of fiction, the story hit so hard because I know for a fact it replicates reality scares close and that’s so heartbreaking. But we need to listen to victims and survivors and we need to believe black women and support black women because black women matter and always have!
My love for all books by Tiffany D. Jackson (@writeinbk) is certainly not a secret around here and 𝘎𝘳𝘰𝘸𝘯 is no exception. (I received an ARC through @netgalley - official release date is 9/15.) I was hooked immediately. This one, like most of Jackson's works, is not for the faint of heart.⁣
⁣
𝘎𝘳𝘰𝘸𝘯 follows aspiring singer Enchanted Jones as she navigates her rise to the top around a chance meeting with famous R&B singer Korey Fields. The fact that this is a fictionalized version of a true story will absolutely make your stomach turn. (I won't use names here, but you can take a wild guess as to the inspiration.) It's raw, enthralling, and so, so important. ⁣
⁣
As an educator, I'm not only impressed with Jackson's uncanny ability to engage the reader and bend a plot, but I also love the fact that she also makes it a point to tell stories that demand to be heard. 𝘎𝘳𝘰𝘸𝘯 will grip you from the beginning and will stay with you long after you've finished the final page.⁣
I don't do this often, but 𝘎𝘳𝘰𝘸𝘯 is 5/5. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
TW: sexual assault, verbal abuse, grooming, statutory rape, gaslighting, blood

This book is full of trigger warnings, but it is a must read. Jackson has a way of storytelling that is beyond anyone else in the world. As you read, you will rage, cry, scream, and throw your book.

Enchanted Jones is just your average teen until she catches the attention of Korey Fields, R&B superstar. He offers her the deal of a lifetime, but it comes at a price. Then, Korey is murdered and Enchanted is the #1 suspect.

This is a fast-paced book -  it alternates  back and forth between the present and Korey’s murder and the past and how their relationship came to be. As you read, you can see the subtle details of the abusive relationship that Jackson weaves into the story.

I definitely recommend this novel if the trigger warnings don't push you away and I'm looking forward to anything Jackson writes in the future.
Another great novel by Tiffany Jackson!  A mature book for a YA audience, but an important intro to sexual assault and abuse of power by men. It was a very difficult for me at times an I had to put it down a few times, But I appreciate Jackson's harshness and honesty. It was heart-breaking at times. But very timely it today's society. Be mindful of triggers.
Grown is everything you would expect from Tiffany Jackson and more. There were moments were the story read like what she claimed it wasn’t in the beginning. It seemed slightly similar to a recent docu-series, but then in other ways it was all its own. There were times when, I thought, oh no, not again because there were aspects that were used in her other novels. Overall, well done. I’m not a huge fan of time hops, which Tiffany Jackson, very much is, but this is a story that all young girls should read. Excellent commentary of the way society treats black women.
Tiffany D. Jackson does it again! Grown is a raw look at the misogyny and rape culture of society and the lengths powerful people go to cover their tracks. Enchanted wanted to be a singer, the next Beyonce. She thought having  star Korey Fields as a mentor would help her get there. Instead, Korey steals everything from Enchanted: her friendships, family, youth, innocence, everything.
Although trafficking is an important topic to engage with for young readers, much of this text made me uncomfortable. I honestly had not read the synopsis before reading the book and I was jolted by the adult nature of the plot. Of course, in order to help prevent this sort of thing from occurring, education is key and I believe learning about this through fiction is an excellent way to begin that preventative education. I was compelled by this story, read through it quickly because I was eager to learn how it ended. I worry, however, because it is fiction, it might be construed by young readers as an impossibility rather than something that can and does happen. I would definitely recommend it to young readers. And I love the cover.