Cover Image: Grown

Grown

TW/CW: Microaggressions, attempted sexual assault, grooming of a minor, controlling relationships, emotional, physical, and mental abuse

"One thing I know about fish: you keep them on land too long, they'll die".

Let's just say that this book is still on my mind long after reading it. That's how amazing it was. It made me feel so many emotions and I just couldn't wait to review it. The book opens up with an intense scene. Enchanted Jones wakes up with a massive headache with no recollection of what happened. She also notices something that she perceives as beet juice all over the floor. The beet juice is everywhere! All she can think about is if Korey sees the beet juice he will be angry. The thing is Korey isn't waking up. Is he dead? Of course there's a lot of events and situations that have lead up to this moment. Enchanted Jones is a 17 year old girl with big dreams. She loves to sing and all she wants is to sign with a record company. She loves belting the oldies she used to listen to with her grandmother. Enchanted lives with her parents and sibling who Enchanted is always caring for especially since her parents are working extra hard to make ends meet. She's tired of the same routine and she finally wants to be discovered and be given that approval she wants and deserves.

After her friend Gab encourages her to enter a singing competition, she meets r&b singer Korey Fields who slowly makes her dream come true. He approaches her and offers to give her singing lessons for free, which eventually ends up in her signing a contract (as well as her parents), and getting on a record label. Little do Enchanted's parents know the death wish they just signed for them and her daughter. Everything seems okay until Korey starts getting controlling and possessive of Enchanted. Enchanted's parents don't agree with the relationship has with Korey (whose 28). Alas, Enchanted is smitten and blinded by Korey's charm. She ends up touring with him and that's when he shows his true colors. What he does to Enchanted is horrible, demeaning, trifling, and will surely want to make you punch a wall. Korey's abuse gets so out of hand that Enchanted starts to question her own mental health. I will warn you that the subject manner is heavy, so read at your own discretion. Tiffany Jackson gives you a dark picture of the things that go on in the entertainment business. It really wakes you up. This story was powerful and riveting. Easily one of my fave YA reads of this year. Thank you to NetGalley and HarperCollins for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Rating: 5 🍷 🍷 🍷 🍷 🍷!!!!!!!

Grown was a good book with such hard content to read. I love when authors can take disturbing, hard-to-hear experiences and make it not only relatable to what is happening in the world but also life lessons. I immediately saw the parallels between this story and R. Kelly, but I appreciated hearing the author’s note at the end that explained that is not what it was at all. I also loved that Jackson not only included a trigger warning in the beginning, but she also had a great after conversation as well as phone numbers and resources if you have ever experienced the events in the story.

Jackson’s writing makes you cringe as you are reading but piques your interest to find out what happens. I felt so much for the 17-year-old talented but naïve Enchanted and everything she went through. Having a young daughter, myself, Grown made me face how a wonderful girl with a great head on her shoulders and plans for the future can be easily manipulated by an older, disturbed man. This book will make you want to hug your children tighter and have those hard conversations that you have been putting on the back burner. Just as she did with Monday’s Not Coming and Allegedly, Jackson explores areas that are happening in the real world, but people want to ignore because it is just easier. This is a must read!

Book: Grown
(AVAILABLE NOW-Release Date: September 15, 2020)
Author: Tiffany D. Jackson
Genre: Teen and YA, Mystery, Suspense

Thank you to @NetGalley @HarperCollinsChildrensBooks and @Writeinbk for an advanced copy of @Grown

#Grown #HarperCollinsChildrensBooks #NetGalley #advancedreadercopy #ARC #Kindle #AmazonReads  #Booksofinstagram #readersofinstagram #bookstagram #nicoles_bookcellar #bookworm #bookdragon #booknerd #booklover #bookstagrammer #bookaholic #bookreview #thriller #mystery #suspense
"Grown" follows the journey of main character Enchanted as she falls into a messy relationship with a famous older man who she believes sees her potential to be a singer. Audiences need to be willing to lean into the discomfort this book elicits. Seeing an adult manipulate and mistreat a young woman is hard to read, and understanding Enchanted's position in the situation is even harder. ""Grown" is compulsively readable, with twists, turns, and secrets galore. But it's best we remember that there is truth in this piece of entertainment.
Although I'm new to this author's work, every book I've read from her has been absolutely amazing.

Enchanted Jones has a dream of becoming a famous singer.  At the age of 17, she is discovered by 28 year old singer Korey Fields.  At the beginning, things seem to be going well, until Korey's true colors are shown and Enchanted's life spirals down.  Similar to a certain celebrity in some ways, Grown will take you on an emotional roller coaster that will make you understand how some people, especially how things like that can happen.  The story flowed so effortlessly and I didn't want it to end, but I really wanted to know what happened.  An amazing read and will be on my best books of the year.  Phenomenal job by the author.
An unflinching look into the world of sexual abuse of minors, relationship violence, grooming tactics, and emotional manipulation. Also, a brutal depiction of rape, exploitation, and the reality women (but especially black and brown women) face when they come forward and accuse their attackers. Based on the cases against R. Kelly, Enchanted wants to believe that megastar Korey Fields truly wants to advance her singing career. She gives up high school, her swim team, her clubs, and her family and friends just for the chance to make it big. But what he really wants from her is her naïveté and her innocence, her silence and her shame.
This book is a knockout. This book pulls no punches and I’m glad that teens have the opportunity to read this. Because while this book is pretty raw about what can happen when an adult man targets a teen, it's important to let teens read about this as this actually happens to them.

This book does take elements from its premise from the abuse R Kelly inflicted upon his victims throughout his career. Enchanted is an ambitious young singer who wants to make her dream come true so when she catches the eye of a heavy hitter in the music industry, it seems like a fairytale. To watch the way this grown man slowly but surely manipulates her and draws her into this relationship was sickening and yet I couldn’t stop turning pages. This book kept me up way past my bedtime as I kept saying, well, just one more chapter.

Grown feels like a thriller, with it pacing and its willingness to go there in terms of the horror that Enchanted experiences. There is one thriller-y element of the book, a twist I didn’t really appreciate in terms of what it did with mental health and the space it was given on the page. It felt a little cheap and in a book that was so well-drawn and intricately created otherwise the moment felt jarring. I will say this twist I am talking about did have thematic resonances that were important, I just wish it had a bit more space and consideration given to it.

But, overall, there is a lot to love about this book. It takes a harrowing subject and dives into it unflinchingly. It looks at the ways in which society puts black teenagers into boxes and how those categorizations and assumptions have marked negative effects. There were a couple of points where those discussions were a bit on the nose, but I do think it’s important that teens have these conversations. I enjoyed Enchanted as a character and was really rooting for her to escape this monster and reclaim herself. I would highly recommend this as a book that is thrilling and that has a lot of thematic value as well.
Loosely based on the R. Kelley scandal, readers needs to be prepared for content that could be disturbing to some.  This book is ripped from the headlines and such a fascinating read. I was very intrigued by the premise and then I read the book and wasn't quite prepared for my own reactions. I threatened to throw my kindle across the room because Tiffany Jackson hit her mark with this book and made me feel a range of emotions that included anger! Well written, heart wrenching, important and graphic. Grown is a must read.
Grown was a real, relatable read that adds to Tiffany D. Jackson's amazing collection. I featured it as Book of the Day on all my social media platforms and on my blog.
It's been a long time since I've read an entire book in less than 24 hours, but GROWN was unputdownable for me. This is a hard read in terms of content but the writing is beautiful and the story is compelling. I really appreciated Ms. Jackson's author's note at the end as well. Five stars.
Grown is the book I didn't know I needed. Tiffany D. Jackson has become one of those authors whose books that I buy immediately. Although this book is a work of fiction, I wondered if what Enchanted experienced in this book mirrored some of the experiences the young girls R. Kelly "allegedly"  held captive.

Everything that glitters isn't gold and Enchanted Jones learned this the hard way. Enchanted is a 17-year-old singer and swimmer.  She convinces her mother to take her to an American Idol type singing competition.. On that fateful day, she meets Korey Fields. He is black music royalty.  Korey is mesmerized by Enchanted's singing and her beauty.  Enchanted doesn't win but she ends up meeting Korey and he gets her number.

As an adult reader, we see the grooming occurring of Enchanted at the hands of Korey. What man takes this much interest in a child? He was so manipulative and what angered me, even more, were the adults who were complicit in how Korey handled all of these underage girls in his presence. I was angry with Enchanted's parents too but they felt they were doing everything right. Korey was just that good and was able to convince them to sign over guardianship of their daughter.

My heart was in my throat reading what began to unfold between Korey and Enchanted. This book has many triggers such as sex with minors, physical and psychological abuse but the story needed to be told nonetheless. Enchanted was failed in so many ways but in the end, she received justice. In true Tiffany Jackson style, she delivered an ending I didn't see coming.

Thank you to NetGalley and the Publisher for the ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Cover 10/10
Though the subject matter was sometimes difficult to get through and I found myself needing breaks. I believe this book to be truly exceptional. Many girls can unfortunately relate to the topics of this story and Tiffany D. Jackson does an amazing job at giving voice to these women. While I would definitely give out some content warnings beforehand, I will be recommending this book for a while.
Everyone needs to read this book! Everyone! This was difficult to read, almost impossible at times, but so necessary and important. I will be pressing this into the hands of everyone I know.
This characters are so relatable. I enjoyed it from start to finish. I could not put this book down. I read it in one setting. I will add to my book club and recommend to project lit   This is one of my favorite authors and I knew she would not disappoint. This book was on fire. Great topics that would lend itself to sone juicy classroom discussions.
GROWN opens as Enchanted Jones wakes up and finds legendary R&B Star Korey Fields dead next to her, his blood on her hands. The story unfolds between chapters of Now and Then as we learn how a failed audition lands 17 year old Enchanted in the spotlight under the wing of the 32 year old music legend. What starts seemingly harmless mentoring quickly progresses into an abusive and predatory relationship that Enchanted can’t escape. Cut off from everyone that she loves, Enchanted must find a way to save herself.
Once I really started reading GROWN, I couldn’t stop! Riveting
A bit "ripped from the headlines". It takes the idea of the predatory nature of fame and the music industry to an extreme. Maybe too extreme. It's more than just taking advantage of a naive girl. It's torture and abuse, culminating in murder. It over reaches, taking what could have been a subtle exploration of predatory fame and the perception of the abused, and making it a bit exploitative.
Tiffany Jackson does it again.  I'd love to say that I spent a lot of time with her books, but they are so page turning that I just can't stop.  This book is one that needs to be required reading.  I wish that there weren't so many girls out there that needed this story, so many girls who needed to see that they aren't alone.
My first response after reading this book...WOW. Holy cow this book will have you hooked from the start. That first chapter...beet juice...whew! And it just keeps going. I love the horror aspect combined with a mystery that is all tied into some seriously real and disturbing points of older people grooming and taking advantage of younger people among other serious topics. Such a gripping story. Thank you NetGalley and Harper Collins for an eARC in exchange for an honest review.
This was a fierce story that didn’t hold back. There was enough suspense to drive the book forward, but it still told a chilling tale that was uncomfortably based in fact. This book is a wake up call, and gives a voice to the young women that need to be heard.
This was well written and a good story. Some of the twists and turns had me questioning things lol. I think on some level most of us can identify with Enchanted and what she goes through with Korey, maybe not to this extreme but in some fashion. Older men can make you feel some yupe of way and when you're young and qurstiong yourself and your own worth that can make you feel on top of the world. I really do enjoy Tiffany's books and this one was no exception. I liked the back and forth of the present and how it led up to it. I will definitely reccomend this book, with caution. I couldn't put this one down!!!! ♡
As in books past, Tiffany Jackson pulls the story from the headlines. In this book, it's the R. Kelly case. Enchanted Jones wants to sing and perform. She know she has what it takes: talent and the look. She believes all her dreams are coming true when she catches the eye of the famous Korey Fields. As she's drawn into his life, she realizes that Korey isn't what he seems. The book alternates between before the blood and after. As the story unfolds, the reader keeps asking, can it get worse? Definitely a more mature read for the high school age and above.