Cover Image: The Twelve Dates of Christmas

The Twelve Dates of Christmas

This books is a reminder of why we like the rom-com genre. For me, this was a welcome respite from the seriousness of everyday life. The book was charming, undemanding, had appealing characters and a happy ending. And at times it was wickedly funny.

Kate has returned to her English home town village. She has a great job showcasing her artistic talents and she can work from a small town, occasionally checking in with her boss in London. She has travelled, had adventures, proven herself to be an independent adult.

But she has sort of put her love life on the back burner, so at her friend Laura's urging, she signs up for a dating series featuring twelve differently themed dates with twelve different men. Her dating experiences range from hilarious to creepy. But, in the way of fiction, her real heart's desire has been closer than she ever would have expected.

An amusing feel-good romp. Thanks to the publisher and to Net Galley for providing me with an ARC in exchange for my honest review.
The Twelve Dates of Christmas by Jenny Bayliss is framed in a lighthearted premise for a lighthearted, if somewhat predictable, read. Thirty-four-year old Kate Turner embarks on a dating service pitching the holiday gimmick of 12 dates for the Christmas holidays in an effort to overcome the shallow dating pool on offer in her Hallmark charming village of Blexford, attended by a chorus of Blexfordites watching and commenting on each date. Although it is clear that Kate Is not driven by “my life is incomplete without a romantic partner” syndrome, given a truly ideal job allowing creativity and flexibility, plus a side gig as a baker for her old friend’s Matt’s café, it is also clear that all roads – or dates – lead to just that end.  It is also patently clear that each disastrous date, ranging from funny to touching to creepy, is also leading back to Matt, with whom Kate shares a palpable lack of apparent chemistry -  until suddenly there is.  Overall, The Twelve Dates of Christmas is an enjoyable diversion and worth considering for those libraries that want to expand their Christmas romance titles.
This book gave me all the holiday feels! I really liked the premise of the book: a girl goes signs up for a dating program where she gets to meet 12 guys, i.e. goes on 12 dates before Christmas. I am a fan of the English small town setting so that's where the book definitely scored points for me

The plot is fairly predictable in that I worked out Kate's OTP (Only True Pairing) pretty early on, but that really didn't bother me. Unfortunately, I felt her and the OTP lacked chemistry and I never really managed to warm up to him - there's a lot of miscommunication / lack of communication between him and Kate, which I felt delayed them getting together unnecessarily. Kate's dates were definitely fun, but I wish the book'd spent more time on developing Kate's relationship with the hero.

Overall, a fun Christmas read though. Fans of small town Christmas Hallmark movies will enjoy this book.
3.5 stars! A cute, holiday love story.

Kate lives in the small, English town of Blexford with her dad and two best friends Laura and Matt. Her love life isn’t going anywhere, so she tries the Twelve Dates of Christmas- a dating service where she goes on 12 different dates leading up to Christmas Day. After both good and horrible dates, Kate finds love where she least expected.

While this was a predictable read, it was fun nonetheless. The characters are likable, and there were some laugh out loud moments. I liked the small town, Hallmark Christmas vibes.

Thank you NetGalley and G.P. Putnam's Sons for sending me an advanced copy.
This book was a cute concept and really puts the reader in the Christmas spirit.  I know that it's the 12 days of Christmas, but it felt like a bit of a stretch to cover 12 different dates.  The author tried to make each one different and weave the plot around that, but I think less dates would have been more effective.  Also, I was disappointed by the rushed ending of the ultimate guy/girl pairing.  The pairing is telegraphed from the beginning, but the ending didn't give the payoff I was hoping for.  Also, there were some unanswered questions about the actions of the male protagonist in the past that bothered me.  Overall, it's a pleasant read and many people will enjoy this.
I really enjoyed this book, even though it was 95 degrees outside!   It was a nice light-hearted romance, with a strong storyline and delightful characters.  Exactly what a holiday romance should be.  4 stars.

Thanks to NetGalley and Penguin Books - Putnam for the ARC of this book, the review is unsolicited and all opinions are my own.
Kate has a good life going for her. She is a fabric print designer, has a great bunch of friends and enjoys a satisfying life in her quaint hometown. However, she realises that she has grown rather comfortable being in her own company. So when her friend Laura signs her up for a series of blind dates aka The Twelve Dates of Christmas, Kate decides that she may as well give it a go.

I liked how the author fills the story with little details and descriptions of the natural scenery, the Blexford manor and the winter weather hailing the approach of Christmas. She also describes the process of fabric designs - how Kate gets her inspiration from ordinary things like vegetables or birds, how she gathers her ideas and creates her designs; which were all very interesting for me to read. I felt all that adds a deeper layer to the story.

I would have preferred some additional romantic scenes between Kate and the male lead. But overall, I am very happy with Kate and her final Christmas date!

My thanks to the author and publisher for providing me an eARC in exchange for an honest review.
Romance, humor, and Christmas in England... that's a lot to love and enjoy in a book version of a Hallmark movie.  If you like those movies, definitely grab this book.
Excellent, funny, holiday story. Kate Turner is done with dating. Happy on her own, she has a great career as a designer. For fun Kate bakes fabulous dishes for her friends cafe. Small town England isn't exactly exciting until Kate's friend signs her up for a dating agency that promises a successful match in the 23 days before Christmas.  Kate ends up with 12 dates with 12 different men.  Of course the dates are awful, and everyone in town is invested in the results.  Will the dating program deliver as promised, or will Kate have to take matters in to her own hands?  Delightful, well-written book, perfect to get you in the holiday mood.
Even though it's summertime as of reading this galley, this romance book has me yearning for winter and hot chocolate and cozy sweaters! By page one, I knew this was a book that was right up my alley. I mean, British setting, romance, holidays, check check and check! Kate and Matt have been old friends since childhood, and like, it's clear they have to fall in love, right. But, the time's not quite right. She signs up for a matching making dating service, hence the book title, where she has different blind dates before the holiday. The primary focus of the book is all about her bad dates and horrible dating luck, which like, Kate, you are preaching to the choir lol. But, it's already shaping up to be a fun, indulgent, and very cute holiday romance. It is quite a good idea, however, the execution fell a bit, I don't know, meh. It's cute and all, but like that's it. And it is a super, super slow burn for the HEA in a romance, like I wish the pace was quicker. It's a predictably cute holiday romance. Then, after all the bad dating luck, it's clear Matt is her only decent option even if they don't yet, and you are just hoping for some type of HEA to make all her troubles and heartache worth it, even if it is just self-worth and friendship. TBH, I was quite cynical going into this read and reading about these trash dating options and how predictable everything was, but I can't deny that the ending made me smile because it was just so damn adorable.
This was a delightful read and even though I read it in August -- it gave me all of the holiday feels!   The characters and their friendships rang very true and the dating mishaps were all very relatable.  I already have some library patrons in mind that will enjoy this book too.
The perfect feel-good holiday read.  Romance, humor, and great descriptions of everything from Christmas decorations to nature to food, set in a cozy English village.

*Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing an e-galley in exchange for an honest review.
This was a fun, escapist romance with a clever theme. Sign up for twelve planned dates with carefully matched partners to find “Mr maybe right” before New Years. I enjoyed the various dates and men that the heroine met. I admit I did peg the one fairly early but it was fun to go all  12 dates.
Enduring a very hot summer while living through the pandemic, this book was a real treat.  Not only did it take place in the winter, but snow was talked about,and being being cold when outside.  Quite refreshing.  The entire premise of meeting one's true love in this manner was quite interesting.  The suggestions for the dates were so clever, and you got to chose which one you got to do.  The entire book was a joy to read.   I'm just sorry that I have finished it as now it's over.  Still I highly recommend it.
"The Twelve Dates of Christmas" was a joy to read. I couldn't put the book down and felt completely wrapped up in the joy of the holiday from the first page to the last. The cozy English countryside setting and the quirky plot were delightful.

Kate Turner is determined to give love one more chance this holiday season with a dating service called The Twelve Dates of Christmas. We follow her through all of her hilarious dates while she shares her quaint village life. You can't help but root for her to find that spark with one of her dates all the while falling more and more in love with one of her best friends in town, Matt.

A wonderful, cozy holiday read.
Yes, I picked this book based on the title. It sounded fun and light, something I would enjoy. I was right.

Meet Kate, single and likable who is a fabric designer - a cool job I've never thought of . She live in a small village/town I would love to visit. The author's descriptions make it sound lovely.  The town is close enough to London for Kate to go in for work when she needs to.   She has several close people in her life and everyone knows everyone's business.

Laura, Kate's best friend, talks her into signing up for the Twelve Dates of Christmas.  You go to different locations, date 12 different people and it varied activities to take part in.  Lots of ups and downs with this process to be sure.
Will Kate find love?  Read the book and find out!

Thanks to Netgalley and G.P. Putnam's Sons for providing this ARC.
This was a fun and cute feel good book, although I new from the first chapter who Kate was going to end up with at the end of the story. That being said I still really enjoyed it. I love how it was based around Christmas. The supporting characters were all interesting as well as the Kate herself.
I loved the setting and Characters. It was fun and witty and a lot of fun. This was a great quick Christmas read. It was funny and a great romance. The Characters were fun and enjoyable.
I received a complimentary copy of this ebook ARC from the author, publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

It's Christmas time in the cozy English town of Blexford. A young woman named Kate who is a fabric designer and baker who signs up for a dating agency's 12 dates of Christmas promotion. Will she be able to find her true Christmas love or is someone she knows already under the mistletoe waiting for her? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was a pretty good and hilarious Christmas romantic comedy novel. If you enjoy Christmas romances, be sure to put this on your reading list this Christmas season and look for this book when it officially releases to bookstores and wherever books and ebooks are sold on October 13,2020.
This was such a fun, frothy, book. It would be the perfect book to read by the light of the Christmas tree. I loved the book and was in suspense the whole time about how it was going to turn out!