Cover Image: Their Silent Graves

Their Silent Graves

This is the 7th book in the Detective Gina Harte series, but it is the first I have read. I know there is a lot of back story, but I was still fully engrossed in this story and had no problem following the action. This is a gripping police procedural, set in the fictional Midlands town of Cleevesford. I was gripped right from the first page and did not take a breath until I had almost reached the end. The story opens with two teens stumbling upon a grave in the woods. It turns out that someone was buried alive and Gina along with her team are tasked with finding out who the victim is, what happened to them and who is responsible. Along with that, there are flashbacks to Gina's life as a young mother and wife. When another body turns up and Gina begins receiving letters, the tension and suspense builds. This book is a fast-paced police procedural with a well-developed plot and an interesting and intriguing cast of characters. It's well written with several twists and red herrings that had me guessing and twisting in the wind. I had no idea who the culprit was until the reveal. The story is mainly told from Gina's POV, but the culprit's POV is shared at times, as well as flashbacks to what happened to her, but we do not know who it is. It was a great, tense ending and I was quite pleased with how it all came together. This is a highly entertaining and engrossing police procedural, which I highly recommend.
I didn’t realise that this was book 7 of the Detective Gina Harte series but my mistake didn’t take from the storyline in any way and can definitely be read as a stand alone. There are some references to the past but it’s no different to reading a book where your only getting snippets of the history. Your thrown into it from the first word and I couldn’t put it down. Loved the character of DI Gina Harte. The author portrays her as such a likeable character that you can identify with on a personal level that has her own history. Storyline was a page turner with great twists. Definitely interested to read the next instalment.

Thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for the opportunity to read this ARC and review that was published on the 17th of Sept.
WoW! This book was Just amazing and so creepy! especially as this book is set in the halloween season. Their Silent Graves by Carla Kovach is the Seventh book in the brilliant Detective Gina Harte series. I was hooked from the very first few pages just like all Carla's previous books.

What's your worst nightmare??? but this one may come true.....................being buried alive! 2 girls are on their way to a school halloween party........all dressed up in halloween costumes they take a shortcut through the dense woodland and they make an gruesome discovery. They discover shallow grave with a decaying corpse inside. Detective Gina Harte has been called to the scene and it's up to her and her team to find out who this person is, how they got there and who murdered them! whilst investigating the coffin they find a coffin nail indentations which indicates that the person has possibly been buried alive and there were 3 burnt out matches.

Before Detective Gina Harte can take a breath another coffin is found......

Can Detective Gina Harte and her team catch this killer before he kills again and what is the link between them.

One thing I will say about this series, you will need to read the previous books within this series so you get an understanding of Detective Gina Harte as she is a complicated and exciting character who I love! nad you will warm to her.

I highly recommend them. If I could give Carla Kovach 10 stars I would.......So looking forward to the next book within this amazing series. You will not be disappointed!

Big Thank you to Bookouture and NetGalley for my advanced copy of this book to read. All opinions are my own and are in no way biased
I adore this series and love everything about Gina Harte, her police investigations and the team around her. I feel as if I know her in her role as detective as well as identifying with her as a woman.
Their Silent Graves is just as well written, deftly plotted and reads at a great pace, like all the preceding books charting Gina's professional and personal life.
Littered with the trademark suspicion and hidden secrets that the keepers of them will do anything they can to prevent exposure, this is an unsettling and claustrophobic story about a killer who buries their victims alive.
It is sinister and eerie, being set in woodland, and the vicar's house intensified the sense of isolation and things that go bump in the night!
As always Kovach knows her characters inside out, producing real, likeable and unlikeable players in the story that gives it background, piques the reader's interest and also adds a satisfying depth to the thriller.
When I picked up Their Silent Graves I knew that I would be hooked and finish the book way too quickly, leaving me waiting for the next book in the series! It is always wonderful to have authors one can always turn to, guaranteed of a terrific read.
I love the psychological thriller combined with police investigations genre but some stand out more than others. Kovach has got it just right with Giba Harte and so I would always readily recommend her books and this series to others.
Please can we have the next book soon?!
Two things attracted me to this book before I even read the description!  The first was that the publisher was the Bookouture.  I’ve read many of their books and they have all been good reads, so I knew that was a plus!  The second thing was the beautiful cover!  I love butterflies, so any book with a butterfly on the cover stops me.  Then, I read the description of the book and knew I had to read it!!  I haven’t read any of the other six books in the series, but I will be going back and catching up.  This one can be read as a standalone with no problem because there is just enough insight into the previous books to understand the storyline.

Their Silent Graves has a nice Halloween vibe so it is being published at just the right time!  The story is about two girls running in the woods on their way to a Halloween party and discover a shallow grave.  In another few days, another grave is discovered.  It is now up to DI Detective Gina Harte and her team to solve what appears to be the murders of a serial killer!

I love the who-done-it kind of psychological thrillers that keep you turning pages and guessing throughout the book.  This one has the added bonus of a shock factor in the end!!  You are in for a ride with this one!

I would definitely recommend This book to anyone that enjoys a good mystery/psychological thriller.  I know I’ll be going back to Carla Kovach's first book and reading the series in order!

Thank you NetGalley and Bookouture for an ARC of this book in exchange for my review.
I have to admit I didn’t read the previous books in the series and, sadly, this one did not make me want to read them.

I found the story and plot to be highly confusing at times, with too many references to past books for a new reader to feel involved in what was happening.

The characters got all mixed up in my mind, and this just wasn’t a book for me.
Their Silent Graves by Carla Kovach is the latest story in the DI Gina Harte series.I have been a Carla Kovach fan since I won copy of Whispers Beneath The Pines a number of years ago. The Gina Harte series, I have been an avid follower of. I was extemely lucky I was offered a place on this tour.
This time DI Gina Harte is really having it tough. Her past, dark and brutal at times is always on the cusp of her mind. This investigation we see her being tipped to the edge.
There is a murder, commited at Halloween, with the method being one of everyone's worse possible thing to happen, being buried alive! this is only the beginning.The first time anyone was killed like this was 25 years ago and now someone is doing the same again.
At the same time as Gina is investigating these murders she begins to receive threats...threats that could only logically be from her dead husband, or, is someone else aware of Gina's past. We see Gina deal with both the investigation and her fears in this book.
I love Gina, have done since the very first book. Carla has created a character that jumps of the page for me. A fabulous woman, who carries her past behind her eyes and through the need to be independant to a fault. Fiesty and clever she always gets to the bottom of a case, no matter the costs.I always look forward to a new Carla Kovach book and this one was well worth waiting for!
Thanks to Bookouture and NetGalley for the copy of this wonderful book for my review today.
A cracking story that plays on two of our primordial fears. Being buried alive and hearing from the dead
Kovach has written an intense psychological thriller wrapped in a Police procedural, and it works really well
Whilst investigating the latest in a series of murders where the victims are buried alive DI Harte starts to receive messages that could only come from her dead husband, the husband she killed years ago.
This is a stunning read.
In my review of the previous book, Her Last Mistake, I wrote that “there were a few times I felt that Gina’s memories bogged the plot down. I wanted to get back to the action of the story.”

Well, I got my wish. This time Gina’s past actually becomes more of the story (more on that in just a minute).
As with previous books, the author jumps right into the action, giving the reader a peek into an event in the past, 24 year ago…but of whose past we’re not quite sure. We then jump forward 12 years to another incident, but still with no real clue as to the connections.

I love the way this author set all of that up, because when we get to present day, we have some sort of background on current events; we know more than the police do, anyway. Not that it helps too much, because as always, this is a clever plot that keeps the reader guessing.

I will also mention now that it’s set around the end of October, so it’s excellent reading for this time of year. While it’s still a cracking good investigation, there’s a spooky element to it that fits the season perfectly.
As always, the team works together smoothly. We get a few more insights into their dynamics, but for the most part, it’s just good, steady investigative work from everyone.

As to Gina’s personal matter, we know from past books that Gina has some traumas that have left her scarred and shaken. This time, one surfaces in the most unexpected way. As she is busy with the case at hand, she also has to determine what the truth is about this new twist from her past.

It all weaves together for a page-turning crime thriller.

Sometimes it’s difficult to write a review about a series, especially when it gets to later books, because the “newness” may wear off. When that happens, later books can seem repetitive.

However, there is something to be said about knowing that you are going to get a solid criminal investigation with interesting plot points (and twists), engaging characters, and a ruthless killer.

That’s what you get here, and it’s another winner.
"Be sober-minded, be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour." (1 Peter 5:8) After I finished reading the book, I turned to my Bible study guide (provides me with a prayer for the night) and this scripture came up! Did I get scared to see this after it was quoted in the book? Oh yeah!

I will break this book like this: Addictive, frightening, suspenseful, overwhelming! The twists and turns had me going. The fear was there and I just couldn't put the book down. And yes, I had nightmares that night!

This was my first introduction to Carla Kovach, and it won't be the last! I'm ready for more!

Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me an AC read! Loved it!
Another fantastic Di Gina Harte book, I love reading this series, it gets better with every book. It's a mystery full of twists with the creepy aspect of Halloween.
This is another fascinating crime thriller, set around Hallowe'en and featuring Detective Gina Harte and her team who are endeavouring to identify and arrest a serial killer before they can strike again. The twist this time is that the killer seems to know all about Gina's past and her abusive relationship with her now deceased husband . . . something that Gina has only shared with one person. To add to the mystique, the journalist who always seems to have Gina as her target is back in town and reporting on the events and again endeavouring to put Gina in a negative light. With all this going on, can Gina and her team discover who the killer is before they bury someone alive in a coffin again? What is the connection between the victims? Why are they being killed?

This is a brilliant, suspense filled read that had me keeping turning the pages. The author is fantastic at bringing the suspense to the fore and immersing readers in the unfolding drama. It is a superb detective story with great characters, plenty of twists and clues to keep you guessing. The relationship between Gina and Briggs is fraught with problems, too - will they ever get a happily ever after together? I have no hesitation in highly recommending this book and this series to anyone who enjoys police detective crime thrillers - and can't wait to read more stories in this series in future!

Thank you to Bookouture and NetGalley for my copy of this book which I voluntarily read and have honestly reviewed.
Their Silent Graves is the seventh instalment of the DI Gina Harte series by Carla Kovach set in Cleevesford, a fictional town in the Midlands, England.

Gina is called to the scene when two teenage girls stumble across a shallow grave. Dressed in Halloween costumes, the girls are on their way to a party and, taking a shortcut through dense woodland, they find a coffin in the grave with a decaying corpse inside. Nail indentations indicate that a person has possibly been buried alive, and then another similar grave is found...

Although Their Silent Graves is deep into the series, it can be read as a standalone. I have cherry picked instalments in this series and have not read all of the seven novels, however there is enough backstory provided to really enjoy this particular one. Carla Kovach has written a really clever and fascinating police procedural that drew me in right from the very first page. Feisty and down-to-earth, protagonist Gina Harte makes a brilliant Detective Inspector. The fabulous plotting and great pacing by the author also contributed to my huge enjoyment of the story. Overall, a brilliant book filled with twists and a satisfying ending.

If you love a good detective series and psychological thriller with plenty of shocks then Their Silent Graves is for you. Very highly recommended. Rating: five stars.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel at my request from Bookouture via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
Wow oh wow. What a case for DI Harte this time! I can’t imagine anything worse than being buried alive.  Setting the book around Halloween just made it even scarier. This book will seriously give you the creeps. It’s a great addition to this series which can all be read as standalones.
I was hooked from the very first page. The case had so many bits too it but nothing seemed to fit together. There were little clues here and there but none of it made sense. Carla had me so suspicious of everyone. There was one character in particular I was convinced was the killer and I was totally wrong! When it was revealed I was so surprised. I would never have suspected them. Looking back though Carla did lay out some clues and I just didn’t pick up on them.
This case was made very personal for Gina. The killer taunted her with the secrets of her past. They really got under her skin. I’m not surprised that Gina becomes suspicious her friends. I still think there’s a lot more to learn about Gina and I really would like to see her happy. I’d like her to fix her relationship with her daughter. I’d also love to see her and Briggs together but that’s just the romantic in me.
I loved the change in POVs. From Gina to the killer and others. It gives such a more rounded picture to have the varying views.
Thank you to Bookouture for letting me take part in this tour and for my copy of this book via Netgalley. I thoroughly enjoyed my trip back to Cleevesford and I hope there will be another one soon!
Their Silent Graves is an intense, twisted mystery that leaves you guessing at every turn.  Just when you think you have a clue to put all the details together, another piece of information proves you wrong.

The book travels between characters and goes back and forth in time.  Each chapter provides a piece to the puzzle that takes shape as you read.   I would make a guess about what I thought was happening or a character I thought was involved, only to be surprised at the next revelation. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and couldn't put it down until I figured out what was really going on.

I recommend this to anyone who likes psychological thrillers that are anything but predictable.

Thank you to #Netgalley and the publisher for the ARC.  All opinions are my own.
This was the seventh book in the DI Gina Harte series, but a first read in the series for me. I didn't have any trouble keeping up with the story reading this as a stand alone, although I was intrigued enough by the hints DI Harte's past to want to go back and read more from the series. Having a good protagonist is important for me to like a story and DI Harte delivers, being strong, smart, and complicated.

The story begins when two Halloween revelers come across a bell hanging on a bush in the woods. An attached string leads to a shallow grave where a person has been buried alive in a coffin and died a frightening death. This starts a tense case for DI Harte and her team who race against time to solve the crime as the deaths begin to mount. There are plenty of suspects but I did not guess the actual killer who was revealed in the end. I can't talk about the plot without giving away spoilers, but suffice it to say this book kept me reading much later into the night than I had planned. For those who are interested in such things, there was no bad language which I can recall, and while the subject matter of the murders is gruesome it was not too graphic. I will be reading more from author Carla Kovach.

Thank you to NetGalley, the author and Bookouture for the opportunity to read this ARC.
I'm afraid that I found this book rather a chore to read than a pleasurable experience. The characters were one-dimensional, the dialogue was stilted and the plot stretched the boundaries of my sense of disbelief to breaking point. I found the book to be formulaic and cliche-ridden. Every trope was present - the lead detective with a shadowy past, every character a suspect etc etc. Perhaps it would have been more enjoyable if I was familiar with the fourteen books that preceded it.
Title: THEIR SILENT GRAVES
Publication day: Sept 17th 2020
Author:  CARLA KOVACH

Description:

Dressed in garish Halloween costumes, two teenage girls run through a patch of dense woodland towards the outskirts of town. But before they can reach the safety of the streets beyond, they make a shocking discovery.

Following a piece of old rope, the girls find a large mound of freshly laid earth, undisturbed in the darkness of the trees. Clawing at the ground beneath them, they make contact with something solid. When they realise what they’ve discovered, the silence is broken by their piercing screams as they stare down at the shallow grave.

Without looking back, they run as fast as they can, failing to spot the person nearby watching their every move…

And when another grave is found just days later, it’s clear a serial killer is praying on the small town. But who is the killer watching now? And when will another grave be filled?

If you like Angela Marsons, Cara Hunter and Clare Mackintosh, you’ll love this heart-racing thriller from bestselling author, Carla Kovach. With gripping suspense and a twist you won’t see coming, Their Silent Graves will have you hooked from page one.

BLOG TOUR REVIEW

Review for 'Their Silent Graves' by Carla Kovach

Read and reviewed via NetGalley for Bookouture publishers and Bookouture anonymous

Publication date 17th September 2020

This is the first book that I have read by this author. It is also the seventh book in the 'Detective Gina Harte' series. This book can be read as a standalone as any previous information needed is given in just the right amounts. However, I'm looking forward to reading the others in the series.

I was originally drawn to this book by  its intriguing cover and interesting sounding blurb. The write up also stated that if you like Angela Marsons (along with others) will love this. I'm a huge fan of Angela Marsons so I wanted to see if it lived up to this statement. I must admit I was also biased due to the publisher being Bookouture. I have yet to read a book published by Bookouture  that I haven't enjoyed. Hopefully this won't be the first... Watch this space! (Written before I started reading the book).

This novel consists of a prologue and 74 chapters which are short to medium in length so ideal to read 'just one more chapter' before bed...OK, I know yeah right, but still just in case!

This book is written in third person perspective and the main protagonist is Detective Gina Harte. I enjoy books written in third person as it let's you see the bigger picture of what's going on and you get to know more characters.

This book is based in the UK. I always enjoy when books are set in the UK as I'm from Wales and have sometimes visited areas mentioned in the book. This makes it easier to picture where the scenes are set at times.

This book is very well written with the majority of it based in the present and several chapters based in the past. I enjoyed that I got to read about what previously happened as it gave a bigger picture and showed that there was a reason the killer was doing what they were. It also gave the history of a few of the characters. The author put the past chapters on just the right places to give just enough but not too much information. The descriptions were excellent and I really felt as if I was in the storyline.

The storyline was quite unique, very fast paced and filled with suspense, tension, secrets, action and a few red herrings to throw you off the scent. I was completely shocked by who the killer turned out to be and never expected them in the slightest. I always love it when I'm shocked as there's nothing worse than working out the killer and your not even half way through the book yet.

I loved Gina and the fact that she is a strong female role model who has got a history herself makes it even better. I was very pleasantly surprised that she actually felt for the killer towards the end and it made her seem more genuine for me. I enjoyed reading about the other characters who all had their own personalities and were strong characters. I am looking forward to meeting them all again when I read more of the fabulous Carla's books. She has definitely found a new fan in me.

Overall a page turning, psychological thriller that will leave you shocked and wanting to read more of this very promising looking series.

Genres covered include Crime Thriller, Murder, police procedural and Mystery,

I would recommend this book to the fans of the above as well as fans of Angela Marsons, C.L TAYLOR, Karin Slaughter, Carol Wyer and anyone looking for a fantastic new crime series!

380 pages.

This book is £1.99 to purchase on kindle via Amazon which I think is an absolute bargain for this book!!!

Rated 5 /5 (I loved it!!! ) on Goodreads, Instagram, Amazon UK and Amazon US and on over 30 Facebook pages plus my blog on Facebook.

Feel free to add me on Goodreads or follow me on my website or Facebook for more reviews

#TheirSilentGraves #CarlaKovach #Bookouture  #NetGalley #BookReview #BlogTour #BooksOnTour
@CarlaKovach @Bookouture @Bookworm1986 @bookworm86

Author Bio:

Carla Kovach was born in Birmingham, UK and now resides in Redditch, Worcestershire. Author of supernatural drama 'Flame,' psychological thriller 'To Let,' crime thriller 'Whispers Beneath the Pines,' and holiday comedy, 'Meet Me at Marmaris Castle.' Carla also writes stage and screenplays, some of which have been produced in the Worcestershire area. Her feature film 'Penny for the Guy' is being made and is set for release in 2019.

Her latest book, Her Last Mistake is the sixth book in the DI Gina Harte crime series.

Author Social Media Links:

Amazon: https://geni.us/B08B1LJ5YSSocial

Apple: http://ow.ly/YMmO50A5OCV

Kobo: http://ow.ly/gd7350A5Ozx

Google: http://ow.ly/Xe5850A5OFC
Carla Kovach does it again with her seventh instalment in the DI Gina Harte series. This dark, suffocatingly suspenseful thriller is another slice of detective fiction gold.

When a body is discovered having being buried alive in the local woods, DI Gina Harte and her team are on the case. Things take a personal turn for Harte though when she receives a letter from the killer. It seems that they know a lot about her troubled past and her relationship with her deceased husband. In fact, as impossible as it sounds, could the killer be Terry? Another letter is sent to the press and Harte becomes the focus of their attention. Her and the team will need to use all of their wits and ingenuity to discover the identity of the “coffin killer” and stop them before they strike again...

I am a big fan of the Gina Harte crime fiction series and I find that each new book gets better and better. With that, my love for Harte as a character increases too. I’ve really enjoy Kovach’s development of her central character over the series and love that Harte is an equal blend of strength and vulnerability. She’s a fantastic detective, but I find her humanity and the affect of her terrifying past what makes her such an accessible and interesting character. In “Their Silent Graves” the gravity of the past abuse Harte suffered at the hands of her husband Terry is explored in further detail. The depravity of Terry’s actions has certainly made Harte who she is today, but it also brings her to the attention of the killer. Seeing that her past is something that Harte has kept closely guarded, the immediate intrigue and suspicion that this generates makes the plot really gripping. Throughout the book the reader is left guessing whether the perpetrator is someone from Harte’s past, someone who has found out about it or even the only person she has ever divulged the atrocities to (her senior and former lover, Briggs). The suspicion cast on Briggs heightens the tension between him and Harte, which is already high from their perpetual ‘will they/won’t they’ romantic relationship. It also adds to the sense of paranoia in the plot, which is something felt by others, as well as Harte. The Halloween setting is perfectly used in the narrative and as a reader I found myself on edge as much as the characters. The constant presence of ghouls and ghosts (albeit primarily only children in costumes) added to the atmosphere, which was so taut at times it could be cut with a knife!

I found the format used to be really effective too, where the reader is taken between a traumatic event in the past, the present day investigation and the first person narrative from the killer’s perspective. This style allowed for the dark and disturbing events of the past to be gradually revealed, as the depth of their influence on the present is also understood. Kovach’s real skill in “Their Silent Graves” is her ability to create a truly harrowing and affecting crime that plays on most people’s worst fears, but still construct a perpetrator who readers can sympathise with and victims who readers may question whether they should. It’s a powerful story that Kovach tells - touching on bullying, revenge, urban legend and heinous abuse - but it’s also very plausible. Revenge may be a dish best served cold, but Kovach serves it up frozen and razor sharp! As the narrative unfolds, events build to a thrilling climax. Whilst I had managed to solve some of the reasons why along with Harte and her team, the final revelation of the killer took me totally by surprise and was all the more gripping for it. Kovach has an excellent ability to steer her readers in certain directions, only to throw a curveball in and reveal she’s been playing is all along. This is exactly what I want from a crime thriller writer!

“There Silent Graves” is a must-read for fans of both police procedurals and good old fashioned murder mysteries. Highly recommend.
This book leaves you  with several points of view and different time periods which made for a mysterious, but interesting read. A murderer kills their victims by burying them alive in a coffin. They have a very slim chance, but it seems to never work out. Dark, mysterious, horrific. Being buried alive is the ultimate way to die. Not knowing when you will take your last breath but knowing it is coming.

The ending was done perfectly. The book was well written and left you without any doubts. Likable characters. Locations made you feel like you was there. In all areas. Even the graves.

This was my first Carla Kovach book and hopefully won't be my last.

Thank you #NetGalley, #Bookouture, #CarlaKovach for this ARC. This is my own true review.

5/5 stars and a huge recommendation.