Cover Image: Hooked

Hooked

There was something particularly surreal and disturbing about reading the majority of this book in a grocery store. I work as a grocery stock clerk and I mostly read this on my breaks or when I had down time covering the liquor store attached to the grocery store. I would read about the tricks the food industry uses to draw us in and keep us hooked, and then I'd go back to work and watch a man and his small daughter pick out four packs of family-sized Oreos in different flavors for each member of the family. Walking the aisles and noticing anew the bright packaging and all the big eye-catching "new look!" and "limited edition" and boasts of added protein or fiber was sobering. Recognizing the degree to which capitalism's demand for constant growth has motivated manufacturers to disregard the physical toll their products can have on us is disheartening and infuriating. Especially because, for so many of us, we simply don't have the time and resources necessary to slow down and take the time to be more deliberate with our food choices. Until the foundational forces that leave many of us wotking multiple jobs and still struggling to make ends meet are dealt with, fast, convenient, and cheap foods are going to continue to be our go-to items. In the conclusion, Moss focuses on some solutions for individuals to take more control over their eating, but I would be very interested in seeing this topic treated more holistically, by examining not just how the food industry exploits our biological preference for speed and efficiency, but also the social forces that make it necessary for us to lean so heavily on those preferences.
Well written, informative topic that had me on the hook from the very first paragraph. This is a must read for all those who loved Supersize me and all the other books that came before or after. I am amazed how my life and habits have been influenced by companies without my knowledge. Yikes. I need to be more aware. Don't miss this one.
Hooked is a thought provoking (and at times distressing) expository look at the food industry and its effects on our eating habits by Michael Moss. Due out 2nd March 2021 from Random House, it's 304 pages and will be available in hardcover and ebook formats. It's worth noting that the ebook format has a handy interactive table of contents as well as interactive links and references throughout. I've really become enamored of ebooks with interactive formats lately.

The author has a casual academic style of writing; accessible and careful, but not overly convoluted or impenetrably difficult to read. He manages to convey a wealth of information without being pedantic or preachy. He writes clearly and concisely with a logical progression and a clear threads to follow which interweave the reality of the modern model of food production and processing, backed by a plethora of sources. Where actual contemporaneous sources shade into speculation, he says so clearly and unambiguously.

I found myself shocked at several points in the narrative. I was unaware of the connection between major agribusiness and tobacco (I shouldn't have been - it seems obvious in retrospect). I've been harping on processed food and food safety and security for *years*. I've combated it in part by growing as much of our food as practical, and trying to choose our other foods responsibly. I was also unaware of the psychological conditioning which happens subtly and inexorably.

This book definitely gave me a lot of information to think about. The author/publisher have also included chapter notes and a solid bibliography for further reading.

Five stars.

Interesting approach to a topic that the market has saturated. Loved reading this and even shared some parts with a friend.
The basic concepts in Hooked weren't surprising to me; I spent many hours in behavioral psychology courses in grad school and listened to the full catalog of the Canadian podcast "Deconstructing Dinner" in the mid-2000's. But the amount of research Moss put into the food industry and how it directly ties into the 'supposed' fallout of the tobacco industry was eye opening to say the least.

The public at large doesn't know, nor does it want to know, how much research psychology is used against them to not control their behavior, but influence it just enough to get them stuck in maladaptive patterns of behavior that keep the food industry rolling in money. So many of us roll daily in auto-pilot mode, with little to no awareness of these patterns, but then find ourselves feeling crappy, not able to fit in our clothes, or at the doctor's office with lab results that aren't in our favor. It's understandable to say that people make choices including choosing food, purchasing it, and then put it in their mouths; however at the same time priming people so much for specific foods/drinks/snacks to the point that it matches what happens in a drug addict's mind when the person is having a brain MRI scan, is scary and crossing an ethical line.

This is a good start for anyone trying to understand their eating behavior and how to start a change.

Thanks to Michael Moss, Random House, and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I was surprised how good this was and enjoyed a different take on food addiction. Food is meant  to nourish us and keep us full so our bodies and organs function properly. However, the manufacturers of processed food (including fast food) do a fantastic job of making unhealthy food appealing, alluring and the only option. How? Labeling, marketing, mascots of companies; just for a few examples. It is scary to think food addiction to the wrong items is just as harmful as drug and alcohol abuse. This author definitely did some solid research.

And can we talk about the cover? Very appealing. Definitely recommend this book if you are into reading about food addiction or wanting to make a positive change in your body.

Thanks to Netgalley, Michael Moss, and Random House Publishing Group for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Available: 3/2/21
"Hooked" by Michael Moss is an expose about how the food industry uses research and careful marketing schemes to get us addicted to food. This book highlights how sugar and processed foods are just as addictive as tobacco, drugs, and alcohol, which is scary considering that most people are exposed to fast, easy, and processed food at a much younger age. This book also provides a really interesting analysis about the evolution of eating habits since the beginning of human life and how the food industry shapes our food habits in the current day. "Hooked" definitely made me think about grabbing that second handful of candy! This book is scary but important.
I got interested in this book to find out more about addiction and how we get hooked to things, especially food, and if there are ways to break that addiction. After having read 'Salt, Sugar and Fat' by the same author, my expectations were set high, but I don't think I learned a whole lot from this new book as a lot of this information was known earlier.

This book has lot of information about the experiments that were conducted and how the smell, sight or indication or hint of food releases pleasure hormones which lead us to behave in certain ways.
Stress also leads us to binge on food. The book delves into how advertising induces us to get hooked onto processed foods. Overall, a good insight on addiction.
This is an eye opening book on how food companies exploit and manipulate us, leading to health problems. Hooked is an engaging book, telling personal stories as well as facts about the food industry.
Covid isn't the real killer here in the USA, Obesity is: leading to many different diseases from diabetes, heart disease, asthma, sleep apnea, and a host of other problems.
Very well told! Thanks to NetGalley for gifting me this ARC.