Cover Image: The Girl on the Platform

The Girl on the Platform

I loved it !! The story felt a bit predictable but the writing was beautiful and totally captivating. Once I got into the story I was really hooked . I will definitely recommend this to my fellow book lovers !!
There's not much to say about this thriller besides it was really obvious what was going on from the first couple of chapters, and I didn't like the character of Bridget. I guess with the ending you can get why she acts the way she does, but it was hard to take since it seemed most of the time she was crying and shaking and obsessing over missing children. There were way too many twists (that made zero sense by the way) for me to even find this book believable. I think at one point I realized that this would have been right up my alley years ago if it appeared on a random Sunday Night Made for TV movie. Thankfully my tastes have evolved.

"The Girl on the Platform" follows Bridget who is drowsing a bit on a train when she wakes up and suddenly sees a girl on a platform she's passing being taken by two men and dragged off into a van. Bridget manages to call the police and the train is held for a couple of hours while the police try to figure out what stop Bridget saw the abduction. Unfortunately the police don't find anything, and Bridget returns home and barely manages to hold it together. Readers then find out that Bridget is back at work and her husband, Tom, is staying at home writing a screenplay (I think, honestly I kept forgetting what he was supposedly doing) while also caring for their 8 month old daughter, Grace. We find out that Bridget is dealing with post-partum depression and feels resentful of not being there for her daughter like Tom is. The book though jumps back and forth between Bridget investigating the disappearance of the girl that was taken (after the police push back on her account) while also dealing with her troubled personal life with her husband and mother.

Bridget was just a lot to deal with while reading. Since she's the main character and the one we follow, I just find myself getting tired of her "investigation" and lying to her husband about what she was up to. I just never really got a handle on her as a character, not even when I got to the end of the book.

Bridget's husband was a saint. Honestly. Because when you read the whole book and get to the ending one wonders why he's with her. I saw no real reason why anyone would want to date or marry Bridget. Her mother was a lot and way too into her life and though we hear tales on how fun she used to be and how she was always racing to do things, it just felt like a whole other character we were never formally introduced to.

The flow of the book is really slow.

The ending was when things really came apart for me. I saw the twists coming (except for two things), but it was just so over the top and surreal I felt like I stumbled upon a student production of a really bad play. It just didn't seem grounded in reality at all. I often wonder how authors write their books, do they think of the ending first and work backwards, or do they start off with a rough outline. This book had an interesting idea (slightly) but think it went off the rails to the point that it wasn't a realistic thriller.
Being a first time mom isn’t easy. It seems particularly hard for Bridgette who is dealing with postpartum depression, trying to be a good mom to Grace and a good wife to Tom while working full time. On a train ride home late one night she sees a little girl being kidnapped by two men.  What follows is a psychological thriller that is well written with a nail biting ending !! Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for a chance to read an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Yes!! (Fistbump) I called this 1!

What a brilliant story! I absolutely loved this book from the beginning to the end. At times it felt like I was getting heart palpitations in frustration with nobody believing poor Bridget! On her way home, she sees a young girl being abducted from a train station but nobody else on the train sees this. The police cannot find any proof that a girl has gone missing. Did she imagine or dream these events? Soon her life spirals out of control. Will her obsession to find the truth destroy her marriage? Some people might think it is better to let dead dogs lie.......

The characters were very well portrayed and I felt like poisoning a few!! (Cough in fist whispering MOTHER)

Thank you to NetGalley and Avon books UK  for the ARC in exchange for my honest opinion
My thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for an ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review.
A LITTLE GIRL HAS BEEN ABDUCTED!!!
But no one believes Bridget Carlson -  our totally unreliable narrator.  Bridget  is suffering from post-partum depression and is severely sleep deprived.  She has recurring, vivid dreams of a little girl who is being kept in a room by a mean woman.  Bridget starts to  fixate on other unsolved abductions and slowly starts to form a conspiracy theory:  there seems to be a pattern to all of these abductions.  By the end of the second chapter, even I had my very serious doubts about Bridget's sanity.

But this is a thriller, so I try to remain open to the idea that there was in fact an abduction.  Bridget's investigations into past abductions brings up a 20 year old cold case.  Young Frances Dobson went missing at a train station while her mother was chatting with a friend..  People reported seeing a white van at the time.  So, the question now is:  did Bridget witness this abduction at an earlier point in her life, or is there something more sinister afoot?

I didn't find it  hard to guess what really happened:  plenty of clues left out in the open.  (But no spoilers here.)
 I found the summing up a bit hard to swallow.  It took quite a few people, colluding for twenty years, to pull this one off.  Didn't ring true for me, but this was a decent read, the  writing was very good and there was certainly plenty of sustained  suspense.   I can see why other reviewers liked it, but  so many things didn't click together for me.   I'm rating this mystery/thriller a 3.3 out of 5
Bridget is suffering from post natal depression and low self esteem. On her train commute back after a long day at work Bridget see a young girl being kidnapped from a platform and bundled into a van, However there are no reports in the news about the missing girl, No one believes her, not the police, not her husband, not her mother and no one else on the train saw the kidnapping. She knows that she is the only one who can save the little girl and to her own detriment she becomes obsessed.

This was a chilling psychological thriller which I raced through, I had to know what happened. The are lots of twists, a definite must read.
When new mother Bridget catches her train home from London, she witnesses something terrible,: a young girl is taken from the platform, right before her eyes. But no one is reported missing and with Bridget the only witness, she's written off as attention seeker. But Bridget knows what she saw, and becomes consumed with finding the little girl.

This is a dark, chilling and very addictive book. The plotline has been cleverly crafted. Bridget knows what she saw, but no one believes her, not even her husband. Bridget is determined to find out the truth, no matter what the cost is. The pace is slow to begin with but then it slowly builds to the end. WE are drip fed little pieces of information which made me realise where the story was going relatively early. That didn't spoil my enjoyment of the book. I will be looking out for more from the author in future.

I would like to thank #NetGalley, #AvonBooksUk and the author #BryonyPearce for my ARC of #TheGirlOnThePlatform in exchange for an honest review.
New mum Bridget is on her way home from work on the train when she witnesses something horrific – a young girl being abducted from a passing station. With none of the other passengers claiming to have seen anything and the police reluctant to believe her, Bridget feels that it is up to her to find the girl. As she begins to uncover the truth, she must make the decision as to whether it is worth putting her own life in danger for a child that nobody else seems to care about.

I love a story with an unreliable witness and in Bridget we definitely have this! With a lifetime of metal health problems and suffering from post-natal depression, there is no doubt that she is a troubled woman. Teamed with the fact that she feels that she is not spending enough time with her baby, we have a main protagonist who made me constantly change my mind as to whether to believe her or not.

At the beginning of the book, there was a definite The Girl on the Train feel, with Bridget determined to find the truth even though others are reluctant to believe her. In my opinion, however, The Girl on the Platform is even better than the aforementioned novel, grabbing my interest right from the start and sustaining it until the very last page. I had been suffering from a bit of a reading slump and this was the book that dragged me out of it, not wanting to put it down for a second!

There is a good range of supporting characters although we see the plot from the perspective of two people – Bridget and the girl on the platform. The chapters featuring the young girl were chilling, and made me desperate for Bridget to be believed and for her to be returned back to her family. At the back of my mind, though, was the nagging doubt that maybe this was all being imagined by Bridget due to the medication she was on. I was pleased that she received support from her husband who always seemed to have her best interests at heart and provided her with love, even if she couldn’t always see it.

At one point in the story, I did start to have an inkling as to where the plot was going to go but I was still genuinely taken aback by the explosive ending. If you are looking for a book to become totally engrossed in, then I cannot recommend The Girl on the Platform enough. This is shaping up to be one of my books of the year.
Complicated and complex story. A struggling new mum who sees a girl being abducted from a station,or does she. The story gradually unfolds with many twists.
When new mother Bridget sees a young girl being abducted from a train platform she panics.  Alerting fellow passengers, all of whom say they saw nothing, she starts wondering if she did imagine it.  Then when at home she tries to tell her husband Tom, who also believes Bridget, who is suffering from severe post-partum depression, imagined the kidnapping, she begins to question reality.
   This novel takes the reader on a series of unexpected twists and turns, never revealing the truth of the incident, you have a few clues that are so well placed it is very easy to miss them.  This book held my interest after the first chapter or two, which I found a bit of a slow start.  But after a few chapters the storyline takes off and doesn't let up until the devastating end.
   I would recommend this for all fans of thrillers and mysteries.  It has an edgy feel, and keeps you guessing.  Is Bridget just a mother who cannot cope, suffering from depression? Or is their a more sinister element at play? I do not like giving spoilers, so I must leave this for the reader to discover.  It is well worth the read, if you find the first chapter or two slow, keep going, I promise you won't be disappointed.
   I would like to thank NetGalley and Harper-Collins UL for the free advanced reader e-copy of this novel, in return I am giving my honest review.
You might think you know what's happening but let me assure you,  you don't.  Bridget is tired, post partum, and a bit off when she sees- she swears she sees- a young girl being taken from a train platform by two men who put her in a van.  No one believes her- not the police, not her husband Tom, not anyone.  But she's so convinced that she investigates on her own, which takes her down a dark path.  She's an unreliable narrator in her way but there's something in her background - no spoilers!  This feels familiar in the beginning and it's a little slow to start but then the twists!  She's an interesting and sympathetic character.  Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.  A page turner that keeping you guessing.
I originally thought this was a war story probably from the title but when I read the synopsis I was already drawn to it. It's nothing to do with any war.

On reading the beginning, it does have the familiarity of The Girl on the Train but the more you settle into it - it isn't!!!

I really began to enjoy it about half way when things really began to kick off. I couldn't decide which way the book would go - DIY investigation on the witnessed kidnapping from the train OR look more into the main character's Bridget) family life. I'm glad it went the way it did. All the better for it, me thinks.

A brilliant debut from Bryony Pearce. If you see it, grab it - but in a nice, calm, dignified way. DON'T MISS OUT !!

I'll be watching and waiting patiently for another book from this author. Hurry up!!
Intriguing novel. Although I guessed one of the major twists early on, it still kept me hooked and a number of other things were revealed within the narrative. Kept me interested throughout
The Girl on the Platform demonstrates one of the biggest fear of every parent that has ever existed, kidnapping. The story itself is attention-grabbing and the suspense is mesmerizing. Not only was this story entertaining, but it also does a great job at establishing the reality of the life of a mother with depression. The author use's a lot of her own personal experience with depression in the story and it had's rawness and humanity, in a situation dealing with a kidnapping. This was a wonderful ride.

Thank you, NetGalley, Avon Books UK, and Bryony Pearce for this arc.
This was a great thriller with an unbelievable ending.  It focuses on Bridget, who sees a girl being kidnapped from a train platform on her way home from work- but no one else on the train sees it. Suffering from post-natail depression with her own 8-month-old daughter,  everyone thinks she  dreamed it- making her an un reliable witness and main character.  With the police not on her side and the time running out for Bridget to find the missing girl no one else knows of, how much of a toll will it take on her?

I wasn't initially gripped by the book, the premise was good but the start was slow and although I know we wanted her to be the unreliable narrator and not know what to believe, at times I was frustrated at her actions so much that it wasn't enjoyable. But, as the book went on, the story developed and the events played out, I was nothing far from shocked, I had to re read at times to make sure I was  reading it correctly and naively didn't see it coming.  There were no loose ends, just dark and worrying outcomes, but it was an amazing thriller!
From the get go you're thrown straight into a very compelling narrative, about 100 pages in I felt like I knew where the book was headed, however this didn't dampen my my need to read on. The book is written with a continuous steady pace and I absolutely flew through the pages with nothing about the plot as black and white as I expected.

What I loved about this is the character balance, although the book has many, it's very centered around the main protagonists with just the right amount of input from the others to carry the story.

I really connected to Bridget, at an already difficult time in her life she's feeling pulled from all sides not know how to feel...
Tom the loving husband trying to convince her of his of love.. but having an affair?
An over bearing mother who would do anything not to have her daughter stray too far from home.
Two Detectives who don't seem to be doing their job.. but so many kids go missing and the leads at a dead end what can they do?

Brilliant phycological thriller.. with a rather disturbing twist.

Thank you @Avonbooks for my advanced readers copy through @NetGalley.
Bridget is the mother of an 8 month old baby girl who has gone back to work to support her stay-at-home husband who is doing the child-care.  She has suffered/is suffering and being treated for  post-natal depression.  She works long hours and has a substantial London commute by train.  One night she sees a child being snatched by two men at a station as the fast train from London hurtles past.  She rings the police and everyone on the train is questioned but no-one else saw anything and distressingly for Bridget, no-one reports a child missing.  All the indicators point to her having dozed and dreamt what she thought she saw.  But Bridget can’t let it go and begins investigating herself.

I didn’t take to Bridget’s character and although I deeply sympathise with post-natal depression, I struggle to empathise because I was lucky enough never to suffer from it.  I felt for her husband and struggled to believe the lengths she went to investigating  this kidnapping - which resulted in her spending less time with her little girl and her husband.  I felt the police were portrayed in a fair way, hard to know what else they could, in reality, do about a reported crime, unseen by the rest of the commuters on the train, no reports of a missing child, no reports of anything untoward from any of the stations, and the woman who reports the crime is shown on the CCTV as dozing for most of the journey and  she’s on medication for depression, which is known to have the side-effect of causing bad, vivid dreams?

I had a ‘light-bulb’ moment  half way through the book when I thought ‘aha, I get it!’ but I didn’t anticipate all the twists at the end, which, in my opinion, were slightly far fetched, especially the ‘flower-bed’ part.

When I started his book, my initial thoughts were that the author had just finished a writing course and this was her first book because half of her prose was very detailed and flowery with in depth descriptions (which I remember being encouraged to write on my writing course) and the other half sort, staccato sentences.  I hoped it wouldn’t continue like this throughout the book and to be fair that lessened but having said that it was all written in the first person and I’m not a lover of that either.

However, I have to say, it did keep me interested all the way through and at no time did I consider giving it up and for that I give credit and stars. I normally enjoy psychological thrillers but this one.........sorry, not so much, just wasn’t for me.

My thanks go to the author, to NetGalley and to the publishers for an advanced copy of this book in return for an honest, unedited review.
A gripping, psychological thriller. This book had me on the edge of my seat and kept me guessing til the end.
A missing child. A single witness with post-natal depression. And lots of lies and deception. 🔎⚒🚆

New mom Bridget is riding the train home from work when she sees a young girl kidnapped from a train platform. But when no one is reported missing and Bridget is the only witness, people start to question her story and sanity. No one believes her. Not even her husband. Bridget can't let it go though and starts investigating on her own, even when it starts to threaten to unravel her life.

Phew. This book was a doozy. It's a slow-burn 🔥 stressful 😳 mind bending 🤯 psychological suspense thriller where you're questioning the narrator's version of events throughout the whole story. Thrillers don't normally stress me out, but this one did! It moved a bit too slow for me and the twist at the end was a bit far-fetched, but overall a solid read. ⭐⭐⭐💫

Thanks @netgalley and @avon_books for the ARC! This hits shelves April 15.
The Girl On The Platform - Bryony Pearce

Bridget is a London commuter, mother to seven month old Grace and wife to Tom. Exhausted with the stresses and strains travelling home one night on the fast moving late train she sees a schoolgirl being snatched off an isolated station platform.

The writing is excellent and characterisation is very good indeed. Bridget's depressed and weary working Mum is expertly portrayed, with a perfect balance of anxiety, self-doubt and work / life pressures.

For the first 70% I found it compulsive, up there with Blood Orange and Lesley Kara's best books on the top shelf for this kind of novel.

I thought it went a bit weird in the last quarter, but it all gets wrapped up nicely, leaving the reader with plenty to think about. I did have a few doubts and niggles here and there, but not enough to detract from my enjoyment of the quality of the main characters and the writing.

Not quite a must-read but very good and definitely recommended.

Thanks to Netgalley and Avon Books