Cover Image: The Girl on the Platform

The Girl on the Platform

I,loved this rollercoaster of a book, it was so compelling. I felt so sorry for the main character and at times I got frustrated with the police as they weren’t helping her in any way. I did have my suspicions who was behind all the kidnapping’s but, wow, I wasn’t prepared for the final few chapters. They were so good that I just wanted to keeping reading so I could find out the ending. What a fabulous book. My thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for giving me the opportunity to read this book in return for an honest review.
A new author to me.  I enjoyed this book. It’s got a good pace and kept my attention throughout.
When Bridget catches the train home from London she witnesses a child taken from the platform. She is the only witness, as no child is reported missing no one believes her. She is determined to try and find the child. She has her own problems battling post natal depression and insomnia, as well as sleep deprivation with a young baby and the guilt of being the main wage earner instead of being the primary carer.
Bridge starts looking into similar cases of missing children using statistical analysis which is her forte to look for patterns.
Her behaviour causes problems at home. There are some very manipulative characters in her life, and some very dubious behaviour which adds some good twists and turns.
I’d figured out the main part of what was going on early on, although it didn’t go totally in the direction that I thought it was.
At the end I was still left wanting more explanation to one of the threads.
On the way home from work, travelling by train, Bridget witnesses a kidnapping right in the platform of a train station. But the only problem was, she was the only one in the train who had witnessed the abduction scene and all the other passengers deny seeing the abduction. Was Bridget hallucinating? Maybe, as she was taking antidepressants. But Bridget believed that she didn't hallucinate the scene and soon gets herself involved in finding more about the kidnapping, which involves ruining her relationship with her husband Tom and her own mother questions if Bridget was a good mother to her child Grace...

This was surprisingly a good fast paced thriller! An unusual plot with an unreliable narrator that makes the story more interesting. The writing was good and I was hooked into the story till the end! I felt rooting to the main character, Bridget even though she was an unreliable character. The ending to me was intense, gripping and unexpected that I was hooked into the ending! It was good!

Overall, this was a good fast paced thriller with twists and turns that will keep you up all night--worth five stars!

Many thanks to Netgalley and Avon for granting me this ARC! The review is based on my honest opinion only.
The Girl on the Platform is a dark intense read with many twists and turns.

Bridget witnesses what she thinks is kidnapping as she is heading home after a long day on the train.

No one believes her.

Bridge is obsessed about finding out what happened to the girl.

Tom is a stay at home husband and realizes that Bridget is suffering from post partum depression and anxiety.    He can do no right.

I thought I knew where this book was going but was I wrong.

The ending is perfect .

Thanks to NetGalley and Avon Books UK for a page turning read.
This starts off so well; a tired young mother, on her way home from a long day at work, sees a young girl being snatched from a platform as her train whizzes past. However, despite involving the police immediately, no-one else saw the incident and the young mother involved is on medication....

What follows is a tense read as we follow the young family through the horror. I enjoyed the premise of the book and it's certainly got a twist (just quite a predictable one) and after a slow start it does move at pace and is an accomplished debut thriller. I didn't enjoy it as much as most readers, but, can definitely recommend as a 3* Good Read.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for the opportunity to preview.
New mother Bridget is on her way to work on the train. She is exhausted and overworked and she is also suffering from Post Natal depression. When she sees a girl in a school uniform on a platform of one of the stations being abducted. She reports it, but one has reported their child missing and because of Bridget’s Mental health and the tablets she on is. They think that Bridget is hallucinating. Even her partner Tom does not believe her, which causes friction in their relationship.
But Bridget can’t leave it alone and gets obsessed with finding her. So, she tries to do her own investigation on her disappearance, and she finds out things that haunt her and she also realises that she is being followed by someone in a white van.
I have heard good things about this book, so I had to read it myself to see what it is all about. This is an excellent psychological thriller. It had a great tense storyline that kept you engaged through out and so many twists. The characters were well developed especially Bridget’s evil mother. I also guessed two thirds into the book what the outcome would be. But it didn’t spoil it. I was still determined to finish this book and I must say I really enjoyed it. Five stars from me.
The Girl on the Platform is a psychological thriller that contains many twists and turns. Bridget is a new mother who has recently returned to work. Struggling with postnatal depression and sleep deprivation she sees something on her commute home and immediately informs the police. Unfortunately, nobody else on the train witnessed a child been taken by two men and Bridget begins to question her own sanity when people stop believing she really saw anything.
This book really highlights the struggles of new parents, and the challenges they face. You can feel the desperation of Bridget’s attempts to find out what really happened on the station platform and the difficult relationship she has with her formidable mother is another stressful challenge for her.
I did find the ending a little far fetched for what had mainly been a believable novel, which is a real shame.
I absolutely loved this story. Bridget is travelling home on the train, tired and exhausted, when she witnesses a little girl being kidnapped. This begins her journey to discover what happened to the little girl. One thing that struck me about this novel is how real it felt. Bridget is a new mother with an eight month old daughter. She's still up doing night feeds and breastfeeding as Grace has a dairy intolerance. The way the author described her tiredness was very real and add to that postnatal depression and we get an amazing well written character that you bond with right from the very start.

No one else sees the little girl being kidnapped and even the police don't believe Bridget. No one reports the girl missing either. Bridget knows what she saw though.

This story is gripping. The paragraphs told from the little girl's POV are so well done. The book is an emotional read and even, if like me, you guess the outcome of the story, I can guarantee you will never see how it comes about. All the characters in this book were superbly written and it is a story that I will remember for quite a while to come. Highly recommend this for those who like to be kept on the edge of their seat and reading way into the early hours of the morning.
A great read, it had me gripped from the beginning. You think you have the twists sussed, and then you are thrown in a completely different direction!
Very clever
It's a gripping psychological thriller with Bridget as the main character. During her train ride home,  Bridget saw a girl kidnapped on the platform as her train passed through. Unfortunately she's the only one saw the incident, no other leads helping her report. She's being obsessed about the incident, while her mum, her husband, and police think that she was dreaming about the incident. The fact that she has mental health problem didn't help her to convince them about her story. I am able to predict what's going on while I reach 25% of the story, however the writing was really well done.
This was one of the most suspenseful books I have ever had the pleasure to read. I struggled to breathe, I shouted out loud at times. So good.  A really unique story. I could never in a million years guessed the ending. Brilliant xx
Story’s main character Bridget Carlson is a new mom of 7 month old Grace. Bridget has gone back to work as she and hubby Tom decided it was financially better if she went back to work and he would do child care.  She is on the train on her way home from work, it is late and she is exhausted. She is resting her head on the window trying to sleep when they pass a small station and see a little girl perhaps six years old, sitting on her luggage waiting for the train. The next thing Bridget sees two men grab her and practically throw her into a white van. Bridget panics and calls the authorities; they board the train and question everyone. But no one else saw what happened.
Bridget arrives home very late after the questioning and is still very upset. Tom tries to comfort her and tells her surely the girl’s mom will report her missing additional the station has CCTV.

However, No one is reported missing!  Now police and everyone else including Bridget’s husband, her mother etc. doesn’t believe her, fears are that her exhaustion had her seeing things.
 ~ I believed her but soon saw that Bridget’s world was totally unraveling in a downward spin.

I read enough psychological thrillers so I know three things:
	Be suspicious of everyone
	Expect twists and twist and turns
	And there will probably be a secret or two.

Yep all three points ran through my mind.
	Why is Bridget’s Mom so controlling?
	Why is Bridget under such heavy meds?
	The Fluoxetine causes tiredness, confusion, abnormal dreams and nightmares.

Hmmm?  Might Bridget’s mother have ‘Munchausen Syndrome’?
This was a quick read ~ story kept me turning pages! ⭐⭐⭐⭐+ Stars

A must read for any psychological thriller fan ~ you won’t be disappointed!

Want to thank NetGalley and Avon Books UK for this early release granted to me for an honest professional review. Publishing Release Date scheduled for April 15, 2021
Exhausted new mother Bridget collapses into her seat on her train home at the end of a long work day. She leans against the window, dozing on and off, until a sight shocks her awake. Two man are dragging a little girl into a white van. She has just witnessed a kidnapping. As the train speeds on, she asks other train riders if they saw the little girl. They didn’t. She reports it to the police but no child has been reported missing. Where is the little girl? Why is Bridget the only one who cares?

Bridget becomes obsessed with the case and starts her own investigation. Her determination begins to affect her marriage to Tom, a stay at home father. He’s worried because she’s recovering from postpartum depression and dealing with her overbearing mother. Although Tom tries to be supportive, he begins to think that his wife is having a mental breakdown fueled by rage, paranoia and confusion. Her mother agrees. Will Bridget find the missing girl before she loses her own sanity?

The Girl on the Platform, an intense psychological thriller, is narrated by Bridget and it disturbing to see how she struggles to process information and express herself as she experiences nightmares and confusion. Also part of the story are the worried thoughts of a sad little girl who has been kidnapped. This is a book you won’t be able to put down. 5 stars.

Thank you to NetGalley, Avon Books UK and Bryony Pearce for this ARC>
Bridget is a tired, new mom of an 8 month old who works long, endless hours in order to support her family. On her way home late one evening, she witnesses a young girl being snatched from a train platform.  No one else sees this and due to her postpartum depression and mental health issues, everyone discredits her and chalks it up as a nightmare she must have experienced as she was desperately trying to stay awake.  However, Bridget couldn't stop thinking about the incident.  Why is no one helping this child?  The kidnapping is all consuming and it begins to impact her home and work life.

The story is frantic and I wanted to read more, but realized at 60%  that I new the twist.  It is a good thriller with a good pace and I could relate with Bridget's frustration and exhaustion.
This was brill book, the characters Tom his wife and the mother full twists and turn read this in one day
Thanks Netgalley for this ARC copy.

Bridget is struggling with a new born baby and a full time job. Meeting her self coming back with the night feeds and daily commute the tiredness and post natal depression are playing havoc with her. So when she sees a little girl being kidnapped from the platform of one the stations her train passes was it real or was she dreaming the whole thing. With her husband, mother nor police believing what she saw can Bridget prove it to them or did she really dream it all?

This, for me, was a book of three parts. The first third really got the story going and introduced the characters well. Unfortunately it was pretty obvious where this was heading and the middle section really dragged it out and it became frustrating. BUT the final third I couldn't put down as it had me gripped to see where it ended.

Really good read and I would definitely recommend.
Bridget is struggling. With work. With her new baby. With taking care of herself. When she sees a young girl being kidnapped while riding passed a train station she knows none of that matters. She has to help.

But the police don't believe her. No one else on the train saw the kidnapping.

The only person looking for this girl is Bridget. But is she putting her family in danger by not giving up the search?
Pearce uses a lot of newly common thriller tropes (sleep deprived new mom, PPD, and side-effects of anti-depression medication to create an unreliable narrator) to weave together a mystery that is refreshingly original. The narrative bounces back from Bridget in present day to the girl from the platform, but otherwise these are the only perspectives the reader sees, which I found refreshing after dozens of thrillers that bounce you between 3-5 other characters.

By keeping the narrative in Bridget's voice most of the time, Pearce is able to dive into Bridget as a character and while she's a frustrating, not always likeable character, Bridget felt like a real person. The kind of mom I might find at a mommy-and-me group or pass at the library. And as she hurtles through the twists and turns of this story, I couldn't help but hope she solved the mystery.

Pearce manages to keep the pace strong throughout the book, and each twist is both thoughtfully foreshadowed and surprising.

I also appreciated Pearce's homage to real missing persons cases throughout the book, and her focus on the victims' stories rather than the perpetrators motivation. As well as the detailed work Bridget does with statistics to show the kind of effort that goes into solving a missing persons case.

Not only did I love this book, but I loved Pearce as a writer and I'll be watching for more books from her in the future.

*Thanks to Netgalley and Avon for the review copy!*
I would like to thank #avonbooksuk and #Netgalley for this e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I’m happy to say I thoroughly enjoyed this one!
It was a fast paced domestic thriller without one boring moment in it.

We follow Bridget a new mom struggling with postpartum depression while she’s heading  home on a train late at night after work. She’s exhausted and can’t wait to see her 8 month old, whom her husband is looking after. When the train pulls past an old station she watches aghast as a little girl is taken by two strong men and hurled into a white van. Nobody else on the train sees the incident and when she calls the police she soon finds out that they don’t either.

This was so good!
I practically flew through the pages. Desperate to know what was going to happen and furious that nobody seemed to believe her. There were som red herrings along the way but I did figure out what the big twist was at the end!

I just loved the whole psychological aspect of the story! Bridget is taking anti-depressants and she frequently has nightmares. She’s also a little paranoid fearing someone might take her little girl, so you’re really not sure she’s a reliable narrator. But there are no jumbled thoughts here, no confused story-line! Bridget is a mum you can relate to, battling with depression while trying to be a good daughter, mother and wife. She’s also working and not getting enough sleep! Who can’t relate?
So when she starts lying to her husband so she can start to investigate the little girls disappearance, who can blame her?
Pub date: April 15 2021

I urge you to pick this up as quickly as you can!
This was average unfortunately. The twist was very predictable and I had figured it out at the 25% point. The writing is well done, the sense of suspense was incredibly well written and even though I was sure I knew the ending I was interested enough to keep reading and finished it very quickly. I think its a good introduction to thrillers for someone who hasn't read a lot of them but seasoned readers of the genre will be disappointed.
I raced through this one. It's a mix of The Girl on the Train, Strangers on a train and a missing children's case. There are some serious issues here too and a look at a mother suffering from depression. Plenty of twists and OMG moments. I'm going to be worried looking out of  a train window in the future.