Cover Image: Hungry Hearts

Hungry Hearts

Hungry Hearts is a collection of essays by mostly female writers/entertainers. There are a few stand outs, such as Sue Monk Kidd's (she could make a warning label on a bottle of aspirin interesting, though) and Maysoon Zayid's.  However, for the most part, I didn't find them memorable, even only a week later.  While all were technically well written, the topics of a few of them were strange and few didn't seem to fit the topic, including one about menstruating.  A quick read, but not one of my favorite essay collections of recent years.  The Moth Presents essay collections are much better at turning live stories into compelling and poignant essays.
“Sharing our authentic stories can be transformational. Someone may look very different from us on the outside, but what our true stories reveal is that, on the inside, we have all experienced similar feelings of heartbreak, failure, betrayal, longing, triumph, and joy. We all want the same things—to be loved, to be seen, and to belong. We all have dreams that our lives will make a difference. Our stories illustrate that.”
— Jennifer Rudolph Walsh

For four years, a speaking tour featuring the storytelling of writers, poets, musicians, and performers of all sorts, Together Live, focused on sharing stories from a stage. These inspirational women (and men) across diverse backgrounds and generations sat onstage to tell their powerful, unique stories to audiences around the United States. Their stories were the magic medicine to cure the void where loneliness, anxiety, and depression often grow.

Due to Covid-19, the storytellers were unable to gather in theatres around the country in 2020, so many of the participants decided to share their stories in book form, this anthology.

As a group, the brilliant contributors of these essays are wildly diverse, yet they all have a brave and compassionate open heart. This anthology is to be savoured, not sped through. It is for anyone who has a desire to find purpose, community, and resilience in the face of desolation, discomfort, and fear. Authentic storytelling is a radical act of love that can connect and heal our fractured world. I shall be returning to these incredible essays whenever I feel a disconnect between my perception and reality.

‘Hungry Heart’ features essays by: Luvvie Ajayi Jones; Amena Brown; Austin Channing Brown; Cameron Esposito; Ashley C. Ford; Natalie Guerrero; Sue Monk Kidd; Connie alum (Milck); Nkosingiphile Mabaso; Jillian Mercado; Priya Parker; Geena Rocero; Bozoma Saint John; Tanya Blount-Trotter; Michael Trotter Jr., and Maysoon Zayid.

A huge thank you to @NetGalley and @thedialpress for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
{Thank you to Dial Press for my gifted copy}

Hungry Hearts is a powerful collection of essay-style writing from some of the most well-known names in storytelling - ultimately sharing their journeys through times of uncertainty. Outside of the pandemic, this diverse group has shared these types of narratives live and in front of an audience for a number of years now.

This written Hungry Hearts format, while different, still feels like an evening with close friends, sharing vulnerabilities, times of struggles, and the power of community. We need stories and connections like this and now many of us are feeling this more than ever.

Whether you are looking for a book to escape into or to read one story at a time, this collection has something for everyone. Thank you to Dial Press for my gifted copy in exchange for my honest review. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
Beautiful collection of stories and poems from famous authors about the situation we are currently we are living in. Well written. Highly recommend.  I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.