Cover Image: Murder at the Lakeside Library

Murder at the Lakeside Library

2 stars.
I really struggled to get into this one. There was just too much extra stuff that added no value to the book.
Murder at the Lakeside Library is the debut of the A Lakeside Library Mystery series set on the shores of Pine Lake in the small town of Lofty Pines, Wisconsin.  Rain Wilmot is recently widowed and looking to gather her life back together escapes to her family's lakefront cabin.  On arrival at the cabin she reconnects with her childhood friend and neighbor, Julia.

Rain hasn't been to the cabin in years and wasn't aware that her mother, Willow had been keeping the family library started by her author, grandfather open to the residents of the small community.  In just a matter of hours Julia talks Rain into opening the library again and they stumble upon a dead man laying next to the cabin's outhouse.  Rumors swirl in the community that Willow may have been having an affair with the dead man and speculation is that perhaps Rain's father is the killer.

There are only a handful of characters in the book and I couldn't relate to any of them.  The majority of the book seems filled with descriptions, descriptions, descriptions and I found myself doing quite a bit of skimming.  The mystery picks up in the last few chapters and the reveal leaves opportunity for future installments in the series so perhaps I will visit Pine Lake again.

I received an advanced copy of Murder at the Lakeside Library from NetGalley via Crooked Lane Books.  While not required to write a review I am happy to offer my honest opinion.
This is the first in a new series and it's nice to get in at the beginning.  That said, there is a lot of time spent on providing background on the main character and her grief and angst over the death of her husband.   I think there may be a bit too much detail, especially at the beginning, and it takes a bit to finally get to the mystery

The mystery is a good one with plenty of red herrings but there is a lot of distracting noise about Rain's marriage, the state of her parents marriage etc.  While we didn't get to really know the other characters, I think that will be resolved in future books in the series.

Being from Wisconsin, I enjoyed the setting and the up North vibe.

I'd rate it a 3.5

I received an ARC from the publsiher via Netgalley but the opinions expressed are my own.
Beautifully written! Colourful descriptions of lakeside and the community! Entertaining and uplifting! Thoroughly good read!
I really wanted to like this book. I do love a good cosy mystery and the setting sounded wonderful however...
Unfortunately I didn't connect with characters or the plot. Names like Jace, Rain, Thornton grated. The book was incredibly slow going and I also felt I didn't really learn very much about the characters. They felt a bit flat and shallow.. It waffled rather and could have done with a bit of pruning. The main character Rain, clearly had a back story but we didn't really get to know anything about it so it was difficult to empathise with her.
A shame really- a missed opportunity
An enjoyable light read based upon the murder of a stranger discovered upon the main character ( Rain’s) visit to her family’s cabin at the lake. It’s a delightful mystery with a few twists and turns to bring it to its conclusion.
cozy-mystery, Wisconsin, rural, murder, murder-investigation, amateur-sleuth, family-dynamics, friendship, summertime

A story about a serve-yourself library in the Northwoods at a lake and with a murder, how can you go wrong? If you like to read about wealthy Summer People with problems including the challenge of solving a murder in an area with limited law enforcement, this book's for you. But if Rain's personal problems with grieving the too recent death of her husband gives you flashbacks, give it a "not now, thank you". It's a good read.
I requested and received a free ebook copy from Crooked Lane Books via NetGalley.
Rain has just moved back to Lofty Pines, Wisconsin after the unexpected death of her husband. Looking forward to going back to the cabin that she spent summers at and possibly opening up her family's little library, she's not expecting any real excitement. Just when she's moving in and getting together with an old friend, a death occurs on her property.

I liked this start to a new series. I liked Rain and all the side characters. The setting made me feel like I was right by the lake and the mystery was well done. I enjoyed reading about Rain and thought she did a good job doing her own little investigation.

I will not hesitate to read the next book.
Great book, and I hope more will follow.

Rain heads to her family cabin on the lake for a new start. Before even getting her stuff out the car a body is found outside the outhouse. Rain, together with her childhood side kick, will lend the local police a helping hand to find out who the murdered man was, and at the same time unravels some family secrets.

Perfect cozy read!

Thank you to NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for a chance to have an early read for my honest opinion..
Entertaining story of a woman who barely arrives at the family lake house and has reunited with a friend that lives next door and another friend of her family, when they find a dead body near the old outhouse on the property. The neighbor calls her brother, the police, and then the friends start trying to figure out who this dead man is.

I received a digital ARC from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
I wanted to like this book, I really did!   It just never really gave enough.  Not enough backstory regarding the protagonist, not  enough character development for the supporting cast, not enough plot to complete the story or the solve the murder.
The protagonist, Rain, drives all day to her family's vacation home on the shores of Pine Lake, WI.  She is met there by her childhood friend Julia who is surprised to see her.  There has been some tragedy in Rain's life where her husband was killed,  (There's some mention of a motorcycle, and a half-painted nursery, but no more backstory)  Julia expects Rain to fill her mother's role in keeping the town 'library' running, which is actually the original part of the cabin, but the morning they are supposed to meet with the loosely-formed library committee, a dead body is found by the outhouse.  Julia's brother is the police officer who first arrives at the scene.  As a cop, he really does nothing more that wander around telling Rain not to touch anything, which of course she does anyway.  The pieces and parts of the story just don't really pull together to make a whole.  The story is choppy, as if parts of it were moved around randomly.  Overall, I think the book could use a lot more editing before it's ready.
I requested for and received a copy of this book from NetGalley. The below review is my honest opinion.

Murder at the Lakeside Library follows Rain, the protagonist as she arrives at her family's log cabin in Lofty Pines. Dealing with personal loss, Rain is emotionally unstable, but feels that this break will do her good. As we follow Rain while she re-discovers friendships, deals with having to run the library connected to the cabin and tries to find some peace in general, a dead body is found near the outhouse on the family's property. From here the reader is pulled into the investigation of the murder and Rain's attempts to find out the truth.

The story is well-written, but at times I was a little confused as to where it was going. With a lot of the focus on Rain and her reactions, we are not provided a lot of insight into the murder investigation until the very end. This is something that I did not enjoy as I wanted to understand what was happening as the story progressed.

However, I enjoyed the dynamics between Rain and her friend Julia. The characters were well developed and some were even endearing. I particularly enjoyed the twist in the story at the end and this redeemed some of the story for me. I would recommend this as a cozy mystery which is simple to read and enjoy!
I love a good cozy mystery. Murder in a small, lake-side library? Count me in!

Initially, when I sat down to read this book, I couldn't put it down. I finished it in 24 hours because I had to know who did it. Once I got to the end thought, I found myself frustrated more than satisfied by my reading experience.

In some instances, extreme amounts of detail were given. In others, it seemed like events were unfolding completely randomly and the reader was left trying to play catchup. The descriptions of the lake-side setting, the town and the donuts were the best part while the characters were tough to connect with or care about.
I did like that the murder happened quickly in Murder at the Lakeside Library by Holly Danvers. The plot was good, but I struggled to really get into the story. When there is too much unnecessary details and dialogue that feels like it’s just thrown in there to fill up space, I get pulled out of the story and find myself skimming information. For me, the book had too much detail in describing things.

Murder at the Lakeside Library is an okay start to a new cozy series. I do like the cover; it’s quite relaxing.

#MurderattheLakesideLibrary #NetGalley
Rain Wilmot heads to her childhood vacation home in the Midwest to get away from a tragedy at home. The lakeside setting and family library that is open to other ‘lakers’ creates a natural way to get to know characters and describe the setting. Shortly after her arrival, an unidentified body is found close to her cabin. As the man is identified, clues are uncovered that reveal well kept family secrets. In order to defend her family’s name, Rain commits to finding out who is responsible. As the investigation continues, she is able to reconnect with some childhood friends who come alongside her.
If you like a cozy mystery, this one adds an extra layer of elements to the story that are satisfying and keep you turning the pages. Not only do you want to find out ‘whodunnit’ but also how the characters are connected to each other.
This is the perfect cozy mystery. Hard to resist the idyllic Wisconsin lakeside setting, the generations of old friends who have lake houses there, and an actual summer library! I would recommend this to readers who enjoy Jenn Mckinlay,  Leslie Meier, Lee Hollis, and Marty Wingate.
I received this book from NetGalley and the publisher, in return for an honest review. This review is based entirely on my own thoughts and feelings.

Overall rating : 3*
Writing skill : 4*
Setting:4*
Plot: 4*
Characters: 3*
Cute cozyness: 3*

This is a very strong 3.5* read, but I don’t round up because I’m mean. This was a super cute and cozy who done it murder mystery that made me long for a summer holiday, minus the murder. The characters were good, but not great, Ive forgotten nearly all the characters names already a few days after reading. The relationship between Julia and Rain (go me) was lovely, clearly long lost friends, but it didn’t really go much further than that. There were at times infuriating parts of the plot that I just couldn’t fathom but it flowed well and the setting was beautifully described and I really felt I was there. If you want a quick read that you don’t need much brain power for this is ideal.
I'm not really sure why, but I didn't connect strongly to the lead or the circle of friends featured in the novel. Perhaps, considering the circumstances of Rain's return to the family holiday home at the Lakeside and length of time that had passed, it all felt just a little too unrealistic for me.  Even the actions taken by the friends to get to the bottom of things jarred at times.

However, I'm sure there will be many who enjoy this cozy, murder mystery series going forward.

With thanks to #NetGalley, Crooked Lane Books and the author for my advance reader copy in exchange for an honest review.
Rain has returned to the family lakeside cabin after the death of her husband. Planning to isolate herself, she is quickly pulled into Laker life, being reminded that she would need to open the library everyone uses at her cottage. Murder occurs quickly and the novel moves forward with difficult family relationships added in the mix. A bit muddled at times, it was still a fun read and has promise if another novel follows.
Wonderful setting, plenty of twists, turns, and secrets to keep it interesting. Decent start for a first in series.