Cover Image: Great Circle

Great Circle

I have mixed feelings about this book. I connected more with Marian’s storyline than with Hadley’s. For me, the novel was too long and drawn out. However, I did enjoy reading about the sibling relationship between Marian and her twin brother, Jamie.
I didn't realize this was over 600 pages! I'm going to save it for when I have the time to devote to it. Sorry!
Thank you @netgalley and @aaknopf for the opportunity to read this #advancedreaderscopy. A note from the publisher at the beginning stated this is the best novel that they have read recently and the hype turned out to be true. Covering a time span from #WWI to 2015, this book is lengthy and has a lot of characters to follow. Twins Marian and Jamie, who survived a ship sinking as infants, are the main characters and their stories of growing up during the 1920s, Depression, and #WWII are fascinating and make it hard to put the book down. The modern timeline follows Hollywood starlet Hadley as she prepares to take on the character of Marian in a career-changing role. This ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ book will be released in #may2021 and needs to be added to your #readinglist. It takes a couple of chapters to get the flow of the story, but then it was a race to the end. I often had to put the book down and savor the characters before the story was done. The historic and modern love stories @shipstead created are fascinating and completely realistic. I hope the book is made into a miniseries because I want to live with these characters again.
In what I consider to be an epic saga, Great Circle by Maggie Shipstead is worth the time it took to read. It is beautifully written, with engaging characters and descriptions that completely draw you in to the story. Marion Graves has lived quite a life and we get to see all of it.  This book will stay with you after you are done. Definitely recommend.
Thank you NetGalley for the Arc.
Who has time for husbands and children when you’re busy trying to become a successful pilot during the Prohibition-era? Marian Graves sure doesn’t, but that doesn’t stop some rich, brothel-visiting, bootlegging son of a b*tch from trying to change her mind. Fast forward 100 years, Marian has disappeared after attempting a risky flight, and A-list actress Hadley Baxter is trying to rehabilitate her tarnished image by playing the role of the adventure seeking pilot. Unlike the fictional novel that Hadley’s movie is based on, Great Circle is beautifully written and will have readers falling in love with the supporting characters just as much as the main ones. But commitment-phobes beware! This 600-page epic requires time, focus, and attention to detail. So find yourself a seat with plenty of leg room, a neck pillow for the naps you’ll need between chapters, and prepare for take-off. Estimated time of arrival: 14 hours after opening.
“There should be an Antiques Roadshow for memories, and I would sit behind a desk and explain that while your memory might be lovely and have tremendous sentimental value, it was worth nothing to anyone but you.”
Great Circle tells the epic story of aviatrix Marian Graves who was determined to be the first pilot to fly around the globe longitudinally, and Hadley Baxter, the actress who will play her sixty years later.  Both women were orphaned young, raised by neglectful uncles, and Hadley immediately feels a connection to Marian’s life.

It’s hard to sum up how much Great Circle takes on since it literally covers the globe and is a multigenerational novel of sacrifice, fulfillment, love and loss.  The layering of stories and time periods was spiraling and always came back to center and it was gorgeously executed.  Shipstead’s writing took me inside each character and their interest in a subject and made it vividly real and fascinating.  I loved her straightforward writing style in telling the story.

I have 200 page books that I have been reading for months, and this 600 page book was finished in a weekend.  I couldn’t get enough of the story and now I can’t get these characters out of my head.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
In Great Circle:  A Novel, author Maggie Shipstead takes us into the epic life of a female aviator, Marian Graves. Rescued from a sinking ship as an infant with her twin brother, Jamie, Marian grows up in Montana, raised by an uncle who had little interest in the two children. While still a teenager, Marian discovers a passion for planes…and will do anything to learn to fly.

Several decades after Marian disappears on a “great circle” flight to both the north and south pole, actress Hadley Baxter is playing Marian in a movie. Hadley is a successful but disgraced actress who takes the role initially to try to redeem herself in Hollywood. The story weaves back and forth between Marian’s life and Hadley’s.

Two things really stood out to me when reading this novel. First, it’s too easy to misinterpret or minimize the complexity of someone’s life when observing it from the outside. After Marian’s disappearance, writers tried to fill in the blanks, creating myth and misinformation. Hadley has to deal with tabloid culture.

Second, I was struck by how a life can be altered by one small action or shift. If Marian hadn’t been rescued as a newborn, she would never have existed. It was as if every aspect of her life led her to flight, but one less twist or turn would have given her a very different experience.

Shipstead’s command of research and her ability to weave it into a story are astounding. Readers will learn a lot about the history of flight and the role of women that is often under-reported.

Initially I had some trouble getting into the story. There’s a fair amount of set-up that may come across as random. Hang in there. It will all make sense in the end. I also struggled a bit with Marian’s precociousness, but I consider this a minor criticism, as the era of The Great Depression forced people to grow up fast.

I would highly recommend Great Circle to anyone who loves stories about tenacious women. There’s a lot here about families, friendships, and love here, too.
I was provided with an ARC by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. At the beginning of the book I was really enjoying it, until Hadley got involved (two timelines) and then I started getting confused, which led to boredom. Rather than give up, I read a few other reviews. These reviewers all had a similar experience and without an exception, all the reviewers had recommended to continue reading.  I am so glad I did. I had felt invested in the character of Maggie, her twin James and friend Caleb from the onset. Unfortunately I never cared for Hadley who spent a lot of her time (as a famous actress) stoned and making bad choices. As I continued on with the book, I came to see that Hadley was an important part of the story and it all came together. Yes, this is a long book, but I guarantee that if you stick with it you won’t be able to stop.  In a way this could be considered a mystery that you won’t want t9 leave unsolved. Four stars because of the slow beginning, but approximately the last 500 pages are 5 star worthy.
I received an advanced copy of this book through NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review. I have read Shipstead's earlier books so I was happy for the opportunity to review her new work. I did not realize it was 600 pages! There was certainly some editing that could have made this book flow better with plot but character development and prose was very well done.
The story reflects two time periods, the 1920's with Marian who learned to be a pilot at a time when women were expected to fill more traditional roles with marriage and motherhood, Hadley is an actress cast to play Marian and find out what happened when her plane went down over Antarctica.

I really wanted to like this book and spent a big chunk of a weekend reading. I think if it were 150 pages shorter it might attract more of an audience.
4.5 stars. A gorgeous, sweeping epic novel. On the surface, a story of two women with similar backgrounds (dead parents, raised by single uncles), but on a deeper level it's about how life comes full circle, but not always in the way you expect. There are infinite variations and possible outcomes.

Quote from book: "If you were to put a blade through any sphere and divide it into two perfect halves, the circumference of the cut side of each half would be a great circle: that is, the largest circle that can be drawn on a sphere. . . .Points directly opposite each other, like the North and South Poles, are intersected by an infinite number of great circles."

Not just the story of Marian, an intrepid female aviator who desires to fly around the world on a longitudinal great circle that will take her over the North and South Poles, but also of Hadley, and actress in the present time hired to portray Marian in the biopic movie. Those who orbit around these women, especially in Marian's time line, are fascinating characters in their own right.

"Spanning Prohibition-era Montana, the Pacific Northwest, Alaska, New Zealand, wartime London, and modern-day Los Angeles, Great Circle tells the unforgettable story of a daredevil female aviator determined to chart her own course in life, at any cost.

After being rescued as infants from a sinking ocean liner in 1914, Marian and Jamie Graves are raised by their dissolute uncle in Missoula, Montana. There--after encountering a pair of barnstorming pilots passing through town in beat-up biplanes--Marian commences her lifelong love affair with flight. At fourteen she drops out of school and finds an unexpected and dangerous patron in a wealthy bootlegger who provides a plane and subsidizes her lessons, an arrangement that will haunt her for the rest of her life, even as it allows her to fulfill her destiny: circumnavigating the globe by flying over the North and South Poles.

A century later, Hadley Baxter is cast to play Marian in a film that centers on Marian's disappearance in Antarctica. Vibrant, canny, disgusted with the claustrophobia of Hollywood, Hadley is eager to redefine herself after a romantic film franchise has imprisoned her in the grip of cult celebrity. Her immersion into the character of Marian unfolds, thrillingly, alongside Marian's own story, as the two women's fates--and their hunger for self-determination in vastly different geographies and times--collide."

Thanks to NetGalley for the free ARC in exchange for my honest review. All opinions expressed herein are mine.
One of the most impressive achievements of Great Circle is the massive leap it takes from her
novel debut, Seating Arrangements, nine years ago to now. Where Seating Arrangements would
play it safe, conservative and expected with its plotting and characters (going so far as to rename
its island location for some inexplicable reason—perhaps as not to offend or be committed to the
real world location it is aping), Great Circle is daring and aims at something greater than the sum
of the parts. Now, not all of these decisions pay off, but the prose is lush and exceptionally
accomplished. Great Circle follows Marian Graves from childhood to an attempt to become the
first person to fly around the world in the titular great circle, as well as people in Marian’s orbit
and the troubled young star portraying her in a biopic, 70 years later.

This is a long book. Across the 600-some odd pages there are shades of Column
McCann’s Transatlantic, Nathanael West’s The Day of the Locust and, on a modern level,
Taylor Jenkins Reid’s Malibu Rising and Ella Berman’s The Comeback. There is something
admirable about the desire to write a “big novel”, but what the result here is two halves a story
that only moderately affect each other. There is the first “half” of Marian’s life in Missoula,
Montana and Alaska where she lives victim to an abusive husband and the second “half” where
she becomes a taxi pilot in World War II. Just one character, besides Marian, bridges the chasm
of these two halves. Part of Marian’s quest is a quest for re-invention, and for solitude, so it’s not
entirely surprising that the beginning and end of the book have little to do with each other, but
for the sake of storytelling, by the time we arrive in England to ferry planes, it feels as though the
first 300 pages have been wasted, if this is where the story needs to go (and the reverse of that,
the first half is diminished by the focus on a the war in the second). Unlike some books that rely
on initial chapters to fully understand the significance of the finale, Great Circles two distinct
time periods exist independently of one another. (**I’m going to take this moment to preempt
the argument that Marian’s relationship with her husband is integral to her later life journey. I
disagree and if you do think it necessary, you’re not giving Marian enough credit and at the end
of the day it’s just my opinion.**)

On top of that, we cut back and forth to modern day Los Angeles. It would be easy for an
author to make a real mess of this, but Shipstead doesn’t do that at all. Hadley’s character is
completely informed by Marian’s life and rounds out what would otherwise be a pretty flat
plotline. The subtlety here is astounding, dropping just enough breadcrumbs for the reader to
follow the trail from Marian to Hadley, but refusing to beat the audience over the head with the
symbolism. However, it’s unclear how much these Los Angeles passages add to the concept of
“literature”, as it were. Hadley, despite moments of exceptionalism, is an author’s interpretation
of a Jennifer Lawrence or Kristen Stewart type-starlet and joins the pantheon of writers trying to
grasp at the interior monologue of celebrity (none of which can possibly be accurate). Unlike the
wonderfully researched flying sequences, Hadley’s interviews with feature reporters come across
as wish fulfillment of “cool girl” vibes. Add in the elderly gay producer who lives next door and
the hipster producer turned maybe-love-interest and there’s nothing we haven’t seen a dozen
times in the last five years. (**That being said, I’m a sucker for any book about Los Angeles and
this plotline was the reason I picked up the ARC in the first place.**)

I loved this book when I started but each time I picked it up to continue reading I liked it
a little less. Maybe it was a promise from the author in the impressionistic opening chapter that
went unfulfilled. Maybe it was too much of one character that didn’t personally interest me
(Barclay). Maybe it was the sheer length of this novel that caught me by surprise and frustrated
me as noticed my Kindle was only 50% of the way trough. When describing a story as “too
long”, I think it’s a worthwhile exercise to go through and highlight which sections could be
dropped; inevitably, if you decide there’s nothing that can be left out then you’ve proven
yourself wrong and shows the strength of the story. As the majority of this review focuses on,
there are three sections; the through line of Marian to Hadley interests me far more than the
through line of young Marian to old Marian, but which to excise? Old or young? Pull on one
thread and the rest start to unravel. You can’t take out Marian learning to fly as a teenager, but
you can’t take out the events as an adult that leads her to the decision to fly in a great circle. I’m
not sure if there is a way to tell this story succinctly, in part, because the strength of the book is
the detailed prose, but the story would have been benefited by tightening up Marian’s teenage
years and her time spent in Alaska.

So what’s the verdict? Shipstead took a huge swing with Great Circle (understandable
why it’s been seven years since publication of her last novel) and made enough contact to justify
the cover price—but not enough to justify the word count.
As a reader I am inspired by stories that set my imagination afire, bring chills to my spine, tears to my eyes, and comfort in this baffling world. Great Circle is that kind of novel.

As a genealogist, I am fascinated by the hidden stories of my ancestors. I can never learn enough to fully flesh out the details of their lives. What it was like to leave their homes and reinvent themselves in a new land? What lead to the seduction that left them unmarried mothers? How did they face the devastation of a child drowning in the canal they had to pass every day? I only know that they survived, for a while, and then they died, taking their secrets with them. As someday, I will, too.

Life throws us into despair--all of us. We give in and give up, or we resist and struggle to the surface of the water, take another breath, and reinvent our life in the after-world. Sometimes there is freedom in reinvention. Sometimes it saves us.

Great Circle is one of those massive reads that sweep us across time and history, a long journey into character's entire lives. They are orphaned or neglected and unprotected by unreliable adults, and make their way as best they can. They lose loves and are loved by monsters. Dreams are fragile and come with a cost. Again and again, they must reinvent a life with a new name or in a new place or with a new love or the end of a love.

First, there is the story of orphans Marian Graves and her brother Jamie who run wild with neighbor boy Caleb, their adult caretakers unreliable. When barnstormers pass through, Marian becomes obsessed with the idea of flying. Caleb cuts her hair so she can pass as a boy to earn money towards flying lessons by secret moonshine deliveries.

Barclay was a criminal, and he was rich, and he was used to getting what he wanted. And he wanted Marian from the first time he saw her as a girl. She entered into a dreadful bargain: he would pay for her flying lessons, and she understood the unspoken agreement that someday she would be his.

Trapped into an abusive and controlling marriage, Marian escapes, disappears into Alaska, reinventing herself as a bush pilot. When WWII broke out, she volunteers for the British Air Transport Auxiliary, ferrying warplanes. She meets Ruth, who becomes her great love, and Ruth's gay husband Eddie. But it is Caleb she still turns to when broken.

After the war with its many losses, Marian is offered financing to fund her dream of flying around the world, pole to pole, she only trusts Eddie to be her navigator. After Antarctica, they are believed to have been lost at sea.

Then there is Hadley, also an orphan and abused by her uncle, who became a beloved child actress, and has a breakdown at age 20. Now, she has a change to reinvent herself in a movie about Marian's life, based on the journal Marian left behind at Antarctica before she disappeared.

Hadley goes on a quest to learn about Marian, discovering the truth of what happened on that great circle trip from pole to pole.

Marian's story gives Hadley a sense of freedom and control. And, and it can free us, too, showing us how to live with courage even in the darkest of times. How we must know what we want, and to always work for our dreams.

This past year has been a horror show of death and fear of death, political clashes and unimaginable chaos, outbreaks of hate and violence. We know full well the disappointments and pain of this world.

A story can help us to heal. To know we are not alone, that there is a way to get through the hell and live into a moment of joy and moments of grace that can be enough to live on. This is the gift of literature.

I received a free ebook from the publisher through NetGalley. My review is fair and unbiased.
Wow. This is a beautifully written masterpiece! It is a very long and daunting read. The first few chapters were somewhat confusing and a little dry but it is totally worth pushing through! The book is written with two different timelines. One following Marian and her twin Jamie in the early 20th century, the other following Hadley Baxter (the women cast to play Marian in a film in 2014). I particularly like the interweaving of the women in the two timelines and their parallel stories. Both women want to break away from the cages that society have put around them relevant to the times they live. The changes that these women go through is told through a breathtaking story with adventure, thrills, romance, and bravery. The last 10% of the book I could not put down and found I had to keep picking my jaw up off the floor. Magnificent read! Highly recommend!! I voluntarily reviewed this after receiving a free copy.
GREAT CIRCLE
BY MAGGIE SHIPSTEAD

Fly on your wings like an Eagle;
Fly as high as the sun;
On your wings like an Eagle;
Fly, touch the sun.....From The Flight of Icarus

Usually in my experience any Author, such as Maggie Shipstead, that has attended the IOWA Workshop goes on to write fantastic novels. I haven't come across a writer who has gotten their MFA from there whose books that I haven't loved, yet. "GREAT CIRCLE," is an epic novel that is magnificently written and it is ambitious at 608 pages. I disagree with some of the earlier reviewer's whom have written that this starts out slow. I was captivated from the very first page and found the narrative to be immediately interesting.

It starts out with describing how if you were to take a knife or a saw and put it through any sphere and divide it into two perfect halves, the cut side of each half would be a great circle: that means that the largest circle that can be drawn on a sphere. An example of that is the equator is a great circle. On the surface of a sphere such as a ball or the earth, the shortest distance between any two points most often than not will follow an arc that is a segment of a great circle.

The North and South Poles are points that are directly opposite of each other. They are intersected by an infinite number of great circles.

The book is written in parallel narratives of both Marian Graves and her twin brother Jamie and they alternate with Hadley Baxter. Hadley is written in the present which for the purposes of this fabulous historical novel is the year 2014. It starts out with Hadley who I got discouraged every time her character sections came up. She came across to me as a spoiled, boring actress whom she ranted on and on about who she was sleeping with or what boyfriend or fellow actor she was angry about. Her only importance to the story was that she was raised by her Uncle Mitch which was to have in common with Jamie and Marion who was also raised by their uncle. Both Uncle's left the children to their own devices. Marion and Jamie Graves who were born about the time of the First World War and grew up with their uncle in Missoula, Montana. Hadley lived in California and was an adult the whole time. If I was to leave out one character to edit this down I would remove Hadley entirely. Her only purpose was that she was going to play Marion Graves in the movie about the great aviatrix, Marion.

Marion was born to fly. From the time she was a young teen she watched a couple of barnstormers who were pilots that raised money by performing aeronautical shows or charging to give the public who watched them perform rides. Marion witnesses this in Missoula and she makes up her mind that she is going to take any job that she can whether it be collecting bottles at first to raise money so she can take flying lessons by a pilot. Her dream is to be a pilot in a mans world. Later she drops out of school and is one day at the local brothel where the prostitutes put make up on her face and a rich businessman that makes a lot of his money distributing moonshine decides that he wants Marion. His name is Barclay. He makes Marion beholden to him by being the benefactor that pays for her flying lessons with a man named Trout. Marion doesn't want to owe Barclay anything so she makes a deal that she will fly Barclay's moonshine in exchange for her flying lessons but he doesn't let her go that easy.

Marion and Jamie are twins and they are very close. Their friend Caleb is a hunter and good friend's with both Marion and Jamie. These three character's are really well developed. Jamie is a kind and gentle soul who won't eat meat because he doesn't want to kill the animals. Where Marion is a fast learner and determined to become a pilot which she does and she is a quick learner and talented, Jamie is a quiet, polite artist. When Marion gets older and she is off with Barclay, Jamie goes to Seattle where he meets and falls in love with a tall girl with her two friend's that stop by his sketch pad where he has set himself up doing portraits of people who pass by. He meets the love of his life and he draws all three of the girl's portraits. The one he has his eye on and is attracted to comes back and finds him the next day and gives him the money because she and her friend's forgot to pay him.

My main critique of this book in my humble opinion is to edit out Hadley's character. I didn't find one thing redeemable about her character. I think the many characterizations are brilliant besides her. I don't really think she is needed in this story at all. The rest of the character's are relevant. I highly, highly recommend this book to lovers of historical fiction and it is written for both men and women. It is a little longer than it has to be. I was glued to my chair reading this but towards the end it seemed a little too long. I did love the story so I think that this will appeal to a wide audience. I hope that it wins an award. I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it. I know that I will read it again someday. I will be gifting all of my reader friends and family with this when published. Pre-order your copy now so you will have it the date that it is available.

Publication Date: May 4, 2021

Thank you to Net Galley, Maggie Shipstead and Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group for generously providing me with my ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review of this magnificent epic story. I am very grateful for getting a chance to preview this early.

#GreatCircle #MaggieShipstead #KnopfDoubledayPublishingGroup #NetGalley
“I needed the relief of being someone who wasn’t afraid... we were both products of vanishment and orphanhood and negligence and airplanes and uncles. She was like me but wasn’t. She was uncanny, unknowable except for a few constellations I recognized from my own sky.”

It is nearly impossible to describe this novel without using the cliches of the “big, great book”. But having just tuned the final page, I will say that this one left me with a lump in my throat, and shattered by the (satisfying) ending I did not see coming.

Dual timelines with overlapping characters is a highly successful way of weaving the tale between an early 1900s character, and the contemporary actress who plays her in a movie adaptation. This reader felt rewarded after a  lengthy backstory setup - not an easy, breezy exercise - as the plot moved forward at an accelerated pace.

Marian Graves and her twin brother Jamie grow up in Missoula Montana after a heartbreaking start to their young lives. Their friend Caleb is a secondary character who anchors so many of the plot threads, and is one of my favorites.
Fast forward to Hadley Baxter, a volatile pop-culture actress, who has her own self-discovery to attend to.

The evolution of female aviation in the 20th century kept me glued to the pages, and the scenes, especially in Alaska and Antarctica, are impressively written. Ms. Shipstead takes on gender stereotyping and same sex relationships with great skill and imposing results.

I look forward to discussing this novel with other readers closer to its May 4th publishing date.
ARC was provided by Knopf Publishing via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
I want to thank NetGalley for the ARC of this book.I really appreciated the chance to read it.
This is historical fiction, with the main characters fictional ones, and real life characters and events surrounding the story. It is a multi character/generational saga, with contemporary  feminist themes .
Great Circle is the story of 2 women, separated by decades , both looking for the chance to be themselves. Marian Graves , whom we first meet in 1914,is a young girl, who wants to fly. She becomes an aviatrix in the 30's and 40's. Hadley Baxter is an actress, who we first meet in 2014. She was a child star,  transitioned to movies, and wants to play Marian  in an  upcoming film.The stories are told alternately, going from  Missoula, Montana in the 1920's to Hollywood in 2014, with ease. It also tells the story of Marian's twin brother Jamie, and her lifelong friend Caleb. The stories are intertwined and rich with detail. I do not want to give any spoilers, but I will say that there were some twists I did not see coming. I enjoyed this book, however I will say that the length(608pages), is a bit daunting. It was also jarring to switch time frames back and forth. There are a number of characters who appear, then disappear for long stretches, and you need to keep on your toes to remember how some of them fit into the story. I will say that it started slowly for me, and it took almost the first 100 pages for me to really feel the rhythm of the story and the characters. Once I did, the story  took on a life of its own. I highly recommend this book.
I could not finish this book. I had such high hopes and I’m very disappointed. But I am not at a place in my life to be able to read about as much abuse towards women as is in this book. Rape, incest, grooming, coercion. It was all too much. I wanted an epic drama of a female pilot flying around the world, and I could have done without all the sexual assault. Every female main character in a book does not have to experience this. I’m almost ready for publishers to start posting trigger warnings. Because these will be major triggers for many of your female readers.
Book Review for Great Circle
Full review for this title will be posted at: @cattleboobooks on Instagram!
Wow! What a saga! Marian's story is another testament to what determined woman can do to shape her future, achieve her goals and jump through hoops to live a life she longs for. I have a special place in my heart for women who were the unsung heroes of the wars, who did things what others could not do under such circumstances and who did this all without a speck of fear.

Marian was born into a not so loving family. She and her twin brother lost everyone but their uncle at the beginning of their lives. They were left to their own devices. Marian wanted to fly, Jaime wanted to paint. Finding resources to paint wasn't hard for Jaime, but resources for Marian to achieve her goals were limited. She ended up with people who wanted to chain her down under the pretense of giving her wings. She endured that until she collected enough feathers to the glue on her arms and start flying on her own. She was a wanderer and her place was in the skies.

Hadley's life started in a similar manner to Marian; her parents died in a plane crash and her uncle raised her (if you call that raising). She was the child start who tried to find her place in this world. After couple of "mistakes", she lost her role in major franchise and pulled into a project where this rich guy wanted to produce biographic of Marian because her mother wrote the book and his family had some place in Marian's life. While filming, Hadley started to uncover things about Marian not many people knew about and that knowledge completed the Great Circle for Marian
This novel was totally different than Maggie Shipstead's other works. A historical fiction based on the aviatrix, Marion Graves and her twin Jamie. At almost 600 pages, and a slow start, it may take some time to delve in. But it's totally worth it. A beautiful novel. I love Maggie Shipstead.

*Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a an e-ARC of this brilliant novel.*