Cover Image: We Were Never Here

We Were Never Here

This book was SPICY. Definitely picked up momentum as it went on - at first it was a little slow, but then I couldn’t put it down. Dark and twisty and ominous and deliciously evil. More character than plot driven, the setup of the mystery was a little hard to get into, but worth the payoff in my opinion.
Wow! This book was crazy! Had me hooked from the first page and left me wanting more. The author could easily do a part 2 which I’d love but even if not, I think this one will stay with me for awhile. 5 stars!
Thank you to Netgalley, the publisher, and the author for the free e-copy in exchange for an honest review.

This is the 3rd book by Andrea that I've read, and I'm really starting to feel bad that I've only ever gotten her books free from Netgalley hahaha.

Another terrific thriller! The main characters, Emily and Kristen, feel so real. This author writes millennial characters that never feel like a caricature or stereotype (probably because she is a millennial herself, presumably). This is one of the things I like most about her books in general: these characters are me and my friends. We aren't written as lazy and entitled, or some rich and privileged group, both of which are on extreme ends of my generation. She writes us how we are. Hard-working, exhausted, hopeful yet also cynical. And then she sets these characters in my favourite genre. That's literary catnip to me.

I really loved the plot. It could have felt cookie-cutter and predictable, but it was constantly leaving me guessing. And it was so suffocating. With each chapter, I felt like the air was getting squeezed out of my lungs a little more, which was apt given that Emily is asthmatic. I kept wondering how it was all going to turn out, when the character would finally get some breathing room.

I should also mention that this book will absolutely make you want to travel once it is safe to do so. The scene descriptions are so detailed, you really feel like you're there.

If you're a fan of thrillers, read this. If you're a fan of millennial shit, read this. If you're a fan of Andrea Bartz's other books, read this.

TW: sexual assault, parental abuse, violence, murder, gaslighting
The author is a masterful storyteller and is able to surprise the reader with plot twists and turns and genuinely surprising revelations.
Many thanks to Random House Publishing Group and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
Emily is enjoying her vacation I Chile with her best friend. When she gets back to the hotel room to find her friend covered in a mans blood, and his lifeless body on the floor, she immediately panics. Not just because she killed a man, but because it looks eerily similar to what happened on their last vacation together. After helping Kristen take care of the body, Emily returns home and throws herself into her new relationship with Aaron. But when Kristen starts popping up everywhere Emily goes, she begins to wonder if everything was as big of an accident as it seemed.

I feel like all my reviews these days start this way, but it’s true, so im just going to go with it. I loved The Herd last year so I had to get my hands on We Were Never Here! It did not disappoint! From the very start, things just felt a bit off, and as the time went on Kristen only seemed more unhinged. At the same time however, she had just been sexually assaulted, so can you blame her for being a bit out of sorts? This book definitely had an Amanda Knox vibe, and had me flipping pages quickly to find out where the story was going to go. If you liked The Herd, I highly recommend grabbing We Were Never Here when it comes out on July 13th!
I read THE HERD earlier this year and thoroughly enjoyed it; WE WERE NEVER HERE is a very different book but similarly engrossing. The plot, in its essence, doesn't necessarily surprise, but Bartz has a way of knitting together enough suspense and unpredictable-enough characters to keep you reading until the bigger surprises hit. While I thought things ended a little bit quickly following the twist, it was a enjoyable, quick read that I'd recommend to anyone who likes Bartz's work.
The plot for this book drew me in right away. Two friends who travel together find themselves covering up two separate but identical murders. This was the first book I’ve read by Andrea Bartz and I enjoyed it. The beginning was a little slow for me but once the action started happening and the twists started flowing in, I was hooked. I would definitely recommend this book and can see it being a fun summer read.

Thank you to NetGalley and Random House Publishing/Ballantine for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I really love this dark and intense story!  Very well written so that I felt like I was a part of the story.  The drama behind two best friends is spot on.  And just when you think you know what’s going on there’s a hairpin turn!!! Love it and highly recommend.
Thank you NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book
“There was a reason I kept going, a sad-eyes addict begging for another hit”

In We Were Never Here, Andrea Bartz paints the picture of two young women in a dangerous friendship.  Emily and Kristen are two friends hurdling towards their 30th birthdays who have been inseparable since they met.  They are in their annual trip, this year in Chile, almost exactly one year after their last vacay in Cambodia went horribly wrong. Emily was attacked and Kristen did the only thing she thought she could to save her. The predator ended up dead and they both hastily decided to cover it up.

Struggling to come to terms with their actions, Emily has been hoping this year’s trip would be a good reset for her and help her steady the friendship. Instead, a shockingly similar scene with Kristen claiming to be attacked and then reacting out of self defense.  From this point on Emily starts to doubt their friendship as she embarks on a new relationship, but she cannot escape the shared secrets.

Emily is our narrator, and while her feelings towards Kristen tend to constantly change from hot to cold and back again; it also reads as how someone who is trying to figure out if they are being manipulated would think. Emily’s inner monologue could have read as monotonous, but what sets this thriller apart from others is the quality of the writing.   One of my favorite sentences read, “why had the universe wedged us between Charybdis and Scylla’s sharp-toothed barbarity?” This book stands out for its beautiful prose, often lacking in so many books of this overstuffed genre.

While We Were Never Here has some rich writing, its plot is a bit unbelievable (though still exciting). I recommend this book highly if you’re looking for a thriller, just expect to walk away with some unanswered questions.

Trigger warnings: anxiety, sexual assault, abuse, murder, suicide.

I had some issues with the ending, but this was my favorite of Bartz's books. Considering how popular the term "gaslighting" has become in the last couple of years, I really enjoyed reading a book that employed it so well.
3 stars

I loved _The Herd_, so I was thrilled to receive the arc of this next installment from Bartz. While I did find this entertaining, for me, it just did not do the trick.

Emily and Kristen are in the world's unhealthiest friendship, and that is apparent to everyone but them from the jump. They met in college, and now they're living that mid-20s ultra privileged dream of traveling the world together all the time. It seems fun, except they are both outrageous. It takes Emily a VERY LONG TIME to recognize what you will know as soon as you crack open the book. I found Emily's lack of awareness infuriating, and while there are some relative surprises that appear later in the novel, I mostly found myself annoyed with a growing number of characters and then also confused about where some of them went and/or why they reappeared. There are details throughout the novel that seem like they should materialize into a much bigger and smarter puzzle, but they do not.

Despite my serious misgivings, I still enjoyed the read overall, and I will be clamoring to read whatever Bartz puts out next. This was just not the one for me.
Let me just start by saying I've read all 3 of Andrea Bartz's books now, and I've loved every single one of them. WE WERE NEVER HERE is even BETTER than her first two, which is saying something, since they were both some of my favs of 2019/2020. I also love backpacking, so getting to read a thriller that included backpacking was just icing on the cake.

Emily and Kristen are BFFs, on the fast track to frenemies... and something isn't quite right about either of them. You will get sucked right into this book and not stop reading until the last page. Highly recommend.

Thanks NetGalley for the copy in exchange for an honest review.
We Were Never Here is the kind of book that has it all, twists and turns, dead bodies, secrets, best friends and a "maybe" unreliable narrator!! I finished this book in about half a day because every time I went to put it down and get some work done I found myself picking it back up because I had to know what happened next. The ending I actually didn't see coming. I would definitely recommend this book and this author in general.

A big thank you to netgalley and the publisher for this Arc in exchange for an honest review!!
Tense chilling full of twists and turns.Andrea Barth is a terrific author who I will continue to recommend and to grab her books.#netgalley#randomhouse
I DNFd this about 1/3 of the way through. I found the writing style to be a little overly descriptive for my taste and the plot was kind of predictable once you’ve read the description of the book. The unreliable narrator/psychopathic murderer trope just felt too “been there done that”. And Emily was a character I didn’t really care enough about to really root for.

However, for readers who just devour murder-y thrillers and can never find enough to read, there’s a good chance they’ll enjoy this anyway because it has good bones.
I love this author and everything she rights so I knew this would be no exception. She delivered. I loved this story! I’d highly recommend it to people and I think people are gonna love it!
29 year old Emily and her best friend since college Kristen go on a big vacation every year.  Last year they went to Columbia and this year to Chile.  Except both vacations ended up with a dead body they have to hide. When Emily returns to Wisconsin, she tries to put the past behind her and get some time away from Kristen.  She unexpectedly moves back to Wisconsin and Emily doesn't know if she can trust her anymore.  This is a great thriller especially if you like true crime.
2.5 rounded up to 3 because there was a lot of potential — two best friends who murder and dispose of two dudes on two separate occasions while traveling — sign me up!

Unfortunately, I couldn’t stand Emily and her monotonous inner monologue and wishy-washy doormat personality, and as a result didn’t care what happened to her, Kristen was so bananas over the top she was absurd. And the love interest (Adam, maybe?) was so bland I can’t even remember his name.

There were some exciting parts and a decent bit of suspense here and there, but the pace dragged, and the plot unraveled, and I overall didn’t love it.

That said, I’d read another book by this author because the premise of this one was so good.
I couldn't put this one down! I don't know where to begin with this thriller thrill ride. Twists and turns, surprises to keep you on the edge of your seat. Andrea Bartz knows how to keep readers engaged. We need more!
We Were Never Here by Andrea Bartz is a thriller about that ride or die friend we all have. But what happens when that friend actually DOES ask you to hide a dead body? So well written, it kept me turning the pages all night long. Highly recommend!