Cover Image: I Am Margaret Moore

I Am Margaret Moore

This book actually made me really angry. It's like someone took the timeline and put it in a blender, then pasted whatever came out. That was actually intentional, so fine. But when you smoothed out the pieces and put it all back together, it still didn't make any sense.

It's pretty clear from the very beginning that Margaret is dead. But wait! She's alive! People are talking to her. She responds, they interact with her. Girls are missing! Except the girls who were sent home are the ones asking about the missing girls. They were sent home and didn't come back, except they're there. The boy is dead, killed by a ghost. Nope, he's alive. Wait, he's dead. Just kidding! The girls are dead? Nope. They've all gotten old and gray...

I kept going to the end in case it somehow all made sense, but nope. There's stuff happening in places it can't, or shouldn't happen, even when you account for the messed up timeline. Flor and Rose and Nisreen are in two places at once. Margaret is dead yet bleeding. Nope nope nope.

Frustrating because it was such a cool concept but the execution HAS to fit together.
Book: I Am Margaret Moore
Author: Hannah Capin
Rating: 4 Out of 5 Stars

I would like to thank the publisher, Wednesday Books, for sending me an ARC.

What can I say? When I saw that Hannah Capin had written another book, I knew I had to get my hands on it. I really enjoyed Fair is Foul and was hoping to have another revenge story. I did get that, but it didn’t go in the direction that I thought it would. No, in fact, I actually really liked the direction it went and I am so glad it went there.

This book takes place at a military summer camp. Last summer, something bad happened and we are left trying to figure out what in the world went down. None of the characters seem to know and when they ask, the staff shuts them down. This idea of not knowing what actually happen is what actually hooked me. I like trying to figure out what happened right along with the characters. It add so much to the atmosphere and story. You, as the reader, have to keep reading to find out what happened. You want to know. We have this really awful event that no one wants to talk about and a main character who will not speak a boy’s name. In fact, it seems like she almost goes as far as to pretend that he doesn’t exist. This sense of the unknown and not really knowing what is happening is actually what keeps me going when I am reading. It’s like something in me just has to know what is going to happen next. Hannah did an amazing job with this.

The characters…I really enjoyed them, but I didn’t think they were as well developed as Fair is Foul. I really enjoyed the bond the girls had. At Marshall, the girls are broken up into decks and these decks allow them to form a sisterhood. Seeing this deep level of friendship and loyalty to each other is great. I would much rather have a deep sense of friendship and seeing those bonds thickened than a romance any day. While the book is told from Margaret’s point of view, the bond these girls have is clearly visible. We see them come together as they try to make sense of what has happened. We see them gather together. I think if Margaret had ordered it, they would have actually went full murder squad. I was fully expecting that actually.

Anyway, I did enjoy Margaret’s character, but I just felt like she was missing something. I understand holding certain details from us, but I think we did need something more to really make her character stand out. We can feel the pain and the hatred coming off the page. While we do find out the source of her pain, I would have liked to see just a little bit more. I didn’t get a full sense of who she was. I guess I would have just liked a little bit more to really drive her character home.

Hannah’s writing isn’t the easiest to get into. I know this is the major compliant about her books. I really enjoy it. It’s not your typical YA writing style. To me, her writing style reminds me a lot of the adult books I read. It’s very lyrical and are the more choppy side. However, I think it works. It sets the environment up so well and keeps us thinking. We don’t know where this is going. We think we do, but it turns out to go in a completely different direction. I just find the writing works really well at throwing you into the story and keeping you engaged.

I guess that what I’m getting at is this sense of the unknown and not really knowing what was happening just what actually kept me engaged and kept me reading. I had to find out what was happening and what happened that summer before. It’s a slower paced thriller, but, once again, I found that it worked.

So, this book comes out on October 12, 2021.

Youtube: https://youtu.be/39xcThRIoDc
I had high expectations for I Am Margaret Moore and unfortunately this book didn't meet them. The sinister description was very catching and I was excited to read the book. But the writing style was difficult and the story was confusing and slow. In the end finishing this book felt more like a chore than anything else.
I don't think there is a Hannah Capin book I'd ever not fall in love with. I would be able to recognize her style and prose even if she wrote something anonymous because that's how unique her writing is and how powerful her words are. I Am Margaret Moore is no exception. I was blown away by each and every paragraph, disecting it and finding the rhythm and finally understanding why I love Hannah's books so much!

I'm entranced by the stream of consciousness of her writing and the rhyme found in every single paragraph of one of Hannah Capin's books. I Am Margaret Moore had the most rhyme out of all of her other books combined. It's poetry and the best part is it's disguised as a novel. Choppy, repetitive and absolutely glorious.

"As Marshall girls, we'll live and die. Forevermore we are Deck Five."

If you love paranormal mysteries and Pretty Little Liars, I Am Margaret Moore is a book you won't want to miss.

Each summer the girls of Deck Five come back to Marshall Naval School and leave their realities behind. They become part of a sisterhood, strong and resilient and something a bit sinister...

The story follows Margaret Moore returning to her friends Rose, Flor, and Nisreen: sisters bound by something more than blood. But this summer everything has changed. Girls are missing and a boy is dead. It’s because of Margaret Moore, the boys say. It’s because of what happened that night in the storm.

Margaret’s friends vanish one by one, swallowed up into the lies she has told about what happened between her and a boy who she loved fiercely at one point and maybe still does.

The tension is maddening when Margaret drops little hints in the beginning of the book of what terrible thing had happened last summer. And I had a lot of anxiety leading up to the big reveal. You learn a lot about Margaret Moore by focusing on what people around her think about what happened that night.

I feel haunted in the best possible way. Thank you to the publisher for sending me a digital review copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!
I really struggled to get through this. The writing style is not something I gravitate towards and it was hard to get into. I'm pretty bummed this didn't go well because the premise was really intriguing. I would still recommend to readers who enjoy this lyrical writing style.
One girl, a tragic summer and bonds that will never give. The story follows Margaret Moore and her Deck Five girls, Rose, Flor, and Nisreen. They all summer at the Marshall Naval School. Each summer they come together and their bonds grow stronger and stronger. However, one summer, things go terribly wrong and now their bonds are tested. Margaret falls in love with a boy, a boy who destroys everything, and now she must live with the consequences. The story is told in an extremely lyrical format, and to be honest it did not work for me. I was not invested in the plot and found it difficult to get through till the end despite this being a short book. Reading in the lyrical format and deciphering the events that have occurred as well as Margaret’s narrative was just not working for me. I was initially intrigued by the premise of the story but after finishing it, it just felt a bit anti-climactic. There is a paranormal aspect to the story and even though its suppose to be a thriller... there really was no thrill. The whole story boils down to  <spoiler? Margareet falls in love with someone who is off limits and he gets her pregnant while seeing other girls the entire time, and then he nearly hits her with a car and then she tries to drown him. </spoiler>

*Thanks Netgalley andSt. Martin's Press for sending me an arc in exchange for an honest review*
When I find myself asking: what is going on? while reading, I’m either in for a wild ride or a major disappointment. I AM MARGARET MOORE definitely veers towards a wold ride, but unfortunately, it’s

The simple truth is that this book isn’t going to be for everyone. Disjointed and lyrical, Capin sets up an immersive experience which pulls you into the pages until you swear you hear the buzzing of insects and the first rumble of thunder. Mixed with an unusual POV, a setting that steadily grows more bizarre, and a dark mystery, I AM MARGARET MOORE  had all the elements needed to win me over.

Unfortunately, it didn’t.

Instead of pulling me in, the writing style fought against me, and I struggled to push through to the end. Normally I’d tap out at this point but I wanted to uncover what went wrong with Margaret’s summer love, while also figuring out what the heck was going on with the summer camp. In that sense, Capin succeeded in creating a mystery dark enough to sink into me, but not far enough to the point that I enjoyed the process of uncovering it.

Everything goes back to the text that I AM MARGARET MOORE isn’t going to be for everyone. Maybe the payoff in the end will make the confusing process of finding answers worth it for some readers. While I didn’t find my groove here, it’s still a book I can see myself recommending given everything the book does have going for it.
I received a complimentary copy of I Am Margaret Moore from NetGalley.  Opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.

This was a great concept for a novel!  I was definitely hooked on the storyline, but some of the writing style actually almost put me off to the point where I didn’t finish it.  Although upon finishing the novel, I understand the purpose of some of it, there was still way too much repetition (and use of present tense linking verbs) for my taste.  I guess this is one way to “live the moment” and smack the reader in the face with an event or feeling, but I was already paying attention, so it just got old for me—which is a shame because it detracted from a really great (but sad) storyline.  Margaret’s puppy love situation definitely did not end in the innocent way that it began at her beloved Marshall summer sailing camp.
I just finished this book and have so many conflicting thoughts.

Let's start with the writing style.  It was very lyrical, and sometimes hard to follow.   On the other hand, it added to the dark atmosphere of the whole thing - it almost had a gothic feel.   I don't usually enjoy books with this type of writing, but I did in this case.    It just took me a while to get into the flow and enjoy it.   Kind of like when you are looking for a hidden word  -instead of concentrating, let your eyes relax and you will see them.   This book was like that -you had to go along with the story and relax and not try to figure it out.

Next topic - the timeline.  This was sometimes hard to follow - it was not linear, but often (usually?) didn't tell you when each chapter took place.   It got a little confusing at times.  And sometimes I think the book repeated itself, but again it was hard to tell.

The writing itself was well done.  But there were too many words I didn't know - I assume they related to boats and boating... But at times I wondered what country this story took place in, since there were so many unfamiliar terms.

Next topic - the story.   I was intense, it was dark, it was actually kind of depressing.   And frustrating,.   Now this makes it sound like I didnt like it, and again I DID.  I just kept hoping it would turn around and get....happier..

So looking back on this review, it gives the impression that this was not a good review.  This book was dark, it was full of drama, it was confusing, and intense and I really, really liked it.   I think my review is as confusing as the book  -maybe thats appropriate?

Thank you to the author, the publisher and #netgalley for the ARC which did not impact my review.. I almost want to give it 5 stars because it gave me such a "wow"  but it was too dark and confusing for that.
Our veins bleed orange, our hearts are gold. Welcome to summer, and summer, and summer.

I AM MARGARET MOORE is going to be a polarizing book. Time is not linear; the language is so elevated and lyrical, it often reads more like a prose poem than a novel; it is dramatic and dark and doubles back on itself to the point of repetition.

And yet, it was violently, spectacularly *brilliant.*

I'm always a sucker for lyrical writing, even the purple-y stuff, and this is definitely book for people who enjoy immersing themselves in language without needing ... sense, I suppose. It is a mystery story, about a terrible secret at the Marshall Naval School, but it is also a *feeling.* It's the buzzing of the mayflies, the heady summer heat, and the lazy, golden sensation of years blurring together until time both stops and races away. It's a novel about growing up and staying forever young. It's a revenge tale about privilege and power. It's a poem about girls and boys and monsters and ghosts. And it haunted me, every time I put my kindle down.

I've read FOUL IS FAIR by Capin before, but this is by far my new favorite from her. Though I AM MARGARET MORE can be frustrating (I think the repetition was the biggest irritant for me) it's also a ballsy, beautiful entry to the YA thriller genre and I could bask in her writing forever. The twist was well-plotted, the characters were ephemeral yet vivid. I will absolutely be reading whatever Capin writes next. 4/5.
Paranormal thrillers are always a hit or a miss with me, never finding one that landed in the middle as "meh." This was definitely on the higher end of the seesaw as far as entertainment goes. This was definitely a thriller enticing all the way through.
They are ordinary girls. They attend a naval school in the summer. The scenery was described  beautifully. All the girls seemed interesting. I like the name. Nusteen.i lkie the descriptions of the school
I was really excited to pick this book up after loving Golden Boys Beware: A Novel, but although there are a lot of common themes in each of the books, I just didn't fall for I Am Margaret Moore in the same way. I think this has a lot to do with where I currently am in my life, and what kind of things I'm looking for. I think if I was in my later teens, I would have been really been swept up with the reveal and the ending, but as an adult in my late 20's, I'm just looking for something that reads a little faster and with a little more hope.

I had trouble with the pacing: I felt like the first third of the book was a bit too slow. The lyrical writing in the book also added to the slow feeling in my opinion, as although Capin writes beautiful sentences and descriptions (which I do love), I felt like certain blocks of text were repeated too often.

What I liked so much about Golden Boys Beware was that terrible things happened to Jade, but she was able to respond and take a lot of action with her friends. So much of this book is waiting for Margaret to tell us the entire story of the past, and once that's finished, you realize that Margaret is just in a state that will make it very difficult to change her situation much. It was just difficult for me to read this book when I felt like nothing much could be done. Themes and relationships that I had enjoyed in Golden Boys Beware did become more common in the end, allowing me to see a clear connection between the two and appreciate Margaret Moore and her friends. But I just felt like there was a big lack of hope and also a lack of agency for most of this book than what I remember feeling for the characters in in GBB. I wouldn't recommend I am Margaret Moore if you're feeling blue or in a funk or anything -- it's pretty brutal.

Also, I don't know anything about boats, and I don't think enough boat/naval detail/explanation was given in the book, so it was difficult for me to visualize some scenes. And I wish that more time had been spent talking about the camp set up because I did not understand the difference between a third year and a first year summer for most of the book and that made things really confusing especially with the timeline hopping all around.
I Am Margaret Moore by Hannah Capin is a YA thriller in a similar style to We Were Liars by E. Lockhart. (if that's a book you have strong opinions about, I'd expect a similar reaction to I Am Margaret Moore) It seems to be one you either love or hate, but personally I loved it. I found it haunting, tragic and beautifully written. I enjoyed it just as much as Foul is Fair, though the main characters are starkly different personalities. Margaret Moore left me eager to read more from Hannah Capin.
The lyrical writing ruined this book for me. It was too complex to enjoy, and I was really disappointed with this book.
This book was a little difficult for me to follow at first but then it got more interesting. I really liked the short little chapters that it had. It kind of reminded me of “We Were Liars” but also poetry at the same time? I thought this story was beautiful and I will be buying the physical copy when it comes out.
Although I Am Margaret Moore had its moments, ultimately it tested my patience and I found the vagueness of it to be too frustrating. However, the target readership mid-teenage girls, may well enjoy it considerably more and be intrigued by the many references to "the boy" and the many occasions in which Margaret Moore kisses him. Not much of this plot seemed to go anywhere and the dreamlike plot, written almost like poetry, failed to captivate like the author probably hoped. It also moved over more than one summer timeline and I struggled to tell them apart, after about fifty pages everything became very samey. Obviously we're following a type of stream of consciousness, but I'm sure many teen readers will be turned off by it, although I suppose it is worth hanging around for the ending.
Thank you NetGalley and Hannah Capin for the opportunity to read the eARC of I am Margaret Moore!

Well...  I really tried to get into this book.  I loved the summary but once I started, I just couldn't seem to get grabbed by the plot.  It felt flat and forced.  I couldn't be pulled in enough to give it my full attention.  The characters did not sound interesting and I was not invested into their stories unfortunately.

I will post my review on Netgalley, Goodreads, Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Google play.
This book is great! Would definitely recommend. Thanks so much to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC.
Kind of bummed....I think I would have absolutely loved this book if not for prose style writing. I've seen others say this dreamlike writing made the book all the blue better for them, unfortunately not so with me. The book is a thriller/mystery focusing on 4 girls at a camp, which is right up my alley. I would give four stars for the (I took off one because I saw the plot twist coming a mile away) and two stars for the actual writing.  Just because this isn't particularly my cup of tea, doesn't mean that I wouldn't recommend it to others.

Thank you to the publisher and that galley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.