Cover Image: I Am Margaret Moore

I Am Margaret Moore

3.5 stars. The writing style was entirely different from Foul is Fair, and even though it was short, it took me a long time to finish when it was written this way.

It's impossible to describe the plot without spoilers, but just know that it involves a navy camp that Margaret and her closest friends Mary Rose Winston, Flor Gómez de la Parra, and Nisreen Al-Shayab have gone to every summer since they were nine. Last summer, there was some kind of mysterious incident that resulted in the girls being sent home early, and it's clear that it's not going to be forgotten. Margaret sees that the boy who betrayed her on that night has come back, and tries to make sure that he stays away from Rose. Later, another boy dies and Margaret's friends start leaving camp one by one. Anything past that is a spoiler. Right before I started reading this book, I saw another review that mentioned a certain plot point that wasn't revealed until about halfway through. Even if I knew it the whole time, I still thought that it was pretty easy to guess early on.

*spoiler warning*

I also didn't realize that it was mostly historical until the end, but I liked that. Turns out the "last summer" events happened in 1959, but there are several different time periods shown, including one of the Deck Five girls in 2021. I'd definitely read a book about Rose, Flor or Nisreen, because they were really good characters who i thought deserved a lot more attention. Especially when it came to Flor and Nisreen's relationship. I mean, they don't even live in the same country (Flor is from Venezuela and Nisreen is from Jordan) but they come back every summer to see each other? I love that, but they don't have nearly enough backstory. (BUT THEY DID RECONNECT AND GET BACK TOGETHER AS ADULTS and that's enough to make me forget about it).
This is a fascinating study on girlhood, power/control/helplessness, and narrative voice. It seems like the lyrical writing style (the MC thinks of herself as a poet) isn't for everyone, but I found it very easy to read and not at all pretentious or immersion-breaking. I appreciated the setting and world-building of the novel very much--it's very much a summer thriller/horror work, and I loved the friendship between the core four girls. The only issues I found were the way the novel didn't really handle race-or more explicitly white privilege (though two of the MC's best friends were Venezuelan and Jordanian, respectively)-as strongly as it could have, particularly given the way the novel ended. The main reason this is a 4 star book for me is that after the massive reveal/twist 2/3 through the novel (which I didn't see coming, although apparently many readers did), the novel stalled somewhat and felt very repetitive, which made the back third much slower going than the earlier portion. That being said, I understand why this stalling/recursive quality was probably intentional, but it still didn't fully work for me that late in the novel. I can appreciate what the author was trying to do there, though. All-in-all, this was an excellent read, and I'm now going back to read the author's back catalog. Content warning for sexual assault and (non-graphic) violence.
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I was honestly really happy and intrigued when I requested and got accepted to dive into I Am Margaret Moore. Mystery thriller books can sometimes give me life and the synopsis for this book made it sound freaking amazing. Well, it had potential to be but I think the book and I were not vibing together.

This is definitely about a group of girls that were kind of close but definitely became super closer after a tragic and unfortunate event. It all started on a stormy night and then things get wild after that. I wont lie, I was definitely confused with what was happening for most of this book. Also the pace was kind of all over the place and I just wanted connecting with anyone.

Then the second half came and things were starting to pick up. Or maybe I was starting to see the light. Either way I was excited to get some answers. Unfortunately, the book took it's sweet time to do a semi big reveal and I'm still left with questions. It was definitely a lot to take in but I really wished that I found someone to connect to or something to connect with.

In the end, I'm glad that I got a chance to dive into this. It was definitely something I'm not used to and I hope that I dive back into this another time to see if my opinion changes or not.
Book Review for I Am Margaret Moore
Full review for this title will be posted at: @cattleboobooks on Instagram!
I Am Margaret Moore is a raw, heartbreaking tale of love, loss, and a girl's voice that could not be silenced. It was beautiful and lyrical, the jagged, sharp pain cutting across layers of words. It wasn't told in the traditional way, and some readers might have trouble understanding the style. But ultimately, I loved it all, with its feminist themes and poetic writing.
Margaret Moore loves her Deck Five girls – every summer she goes to Marshall Naval School and the summer is the only time she feels alive. But something happened the year before with a boy and that has changed the dynamics of the new year. The writing is a lyrical punch in the gut – and ever since I read Foul Is Fair last year I fell instantly in love with Capin’s writing style. However, this novel didn’t keep me as engaged as her previous one. Not because I didn’t enjoy the story or the protagonist, because I did. And there’s a huge twist towards the middle of the novel, and maybe it’s because I anticipated the twist or maybe because the ending happened way too long after the twist that the novel began to feel a tad repetitive.

That isn’t necessarily a bad thing, because once you know the twist, you’ll understand why there’s the repetitiveness to it. And yes, this novel too is filled with ferocious friendships and violent revenge, but I suppose since reading her previous novel that was far bloodier, I was expecting a bit more?

If this is your first time reading Capin, you may love this book more because it’s got a group of friends you will root for, a protagonist that is both relateable and someone you can feel empathy for, and again, the writing is both razor sharp and poetically beautiful. So there is much to love in this novel if you’re a new reader.

I recommend this book if you love feminist revenge stories with strong female friendships.
DNF-Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me an ARC of this copy. Unfortunately this book wasn’t for me which is disappointing since I was excited about the premise of this one. I guessed some of the “twist on the first few pages which doesn’t bode well for the rest of the book.
This book was confusing, heartbreaking, hopeful, magical, and deadly all in one. I didn’t understand initially and when I did, I couldn’t put it down! It was expertly crafted and felt like I was there at Marshall; a part of Deck Five. I was Mar and Flor and Nisreen and Rose all; this was the story of any girl who has loved and lost, albeit with a twist. Great story and I would definitely recommend! Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for my free arc in exchange for my honest opinion. I loved it!
I wanted to love this one! I wanted to love it so very very much. I am a huge fan of books written in verse and I do love a good cryptic, odd, lyrical story. But this one was neither of the things I love so much about those stories.

First, the writing style is odd. It's not quite a book in verse but it's close. It has poetry and lyrics and written in quick, short chapter breaks. But the few lines it gives aren't really verse, they are a lot of full sentences, but they are the same things repeated a lot. There are whole sections that felt like the same chapter over and over. The beginning, the intro to the summer camp and their style, was jarring. I don't know a lot about a navy type summer camp so the levels and chants and line ups were a lot to catch up on with little intro.

I felt like what was maybe supposed to be the twist was really easy to spot pretty early on. So the layers I was hoping to dig through or the spooky parts I was hoping to get goosebumps from just never happened. The end was good but didn't quite pull together the story. I wish I'd loved it more.

<i>A huge thank you to the author and publisher for providing an e-ARC via Netgalley. This does not affect my opinion regarding the book.</i>
Part poetry & part mystery, I AM MARGARET MOORE is the story of a group of friends who have bonded together as sisters over the years of attending an exclusive summer camp.  Last summer, Margaret, the bookish one, left camp early under mysterious circumstances, and her friends are still waiting for the explanation by the time next summer rolls around. But Margaret is afraid to share the truth of that summer, scared that they won't understand.

In addition to the mysterious hook, Capin's book mixes genres in a unique way.  It's written beautifully, but sometimes the language is so heavy on the lyrical aspect that the story can feel like it's meandering a bit. (I think this would be a great audiobook.)  It feels sometimes like you are viewing the narrative through a window of stained glass - it's hard to make out what's going on at times, but it sure looks beautiful.

SPOILER BELOW.
I was disappointed the twist was telegraphed so obviously in the beginning.  I guessed what was actually going on in the first few chapters, and it impacted the way I enjoyed the rest of the story because some of the mystery faded.  I'm not sure if that was intentional, but I do think it would have been more impactful if the twist was better concealed and revealed at a more vital time.
I wanted to like this book, and I am so disappointed that I didn’t. It’s description was very intriguing. Overall, this book had a great storyline, but I just could not read this style of writing. I did not care for how many times the character repeated the same words over and over throughout the book. It got a bit confusing at times with the going back and forth through time. I thought that could’ve been written better. I honestly was going to give this book 2 stars, but I liked the storyline so I gave it 3.

Thanks you Netgallery for this ARC!
This sounded like an unique take that could create a very different story, so I added to my TBR. Turns out,I ended up really enjoying it, even though I wasn’t the hugest fan when I first started.
The writing style,even though it took me a little bit to get used to it, I ended up really liking how the writing had a lot to do with the voice of the character and her personality as a whole.
If you like poetry with drama and a thriller this book might be for you.

ARC kindly provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
The ending was great, the rest of the book just wasn't for me. The prose was choppy, which works for some people! It's just not my preference for prose. It was just a little too hard to read for me which made the story not as enjoyable.
I am Margaret Moore is a unique take on Shakespeare, turning it into a YA thriller with a surprise twist at the end.  Hannah Capin  is definitely in a league of her own with her unique style of writing and imaginatory story telling.  For anyone who enjoys thrillers, this one might just keep you on your toes.
I'm with the other readers on this. I was confused through the story. I requested this because i was a big fan of wilder girls and thought it would give me something to read after falling in love with the story but this tory was just hard to follow and i loved the idea of the story but i think the author might need to find away to connect with readers during the reading
I would call this an effusive, lyrical, dreamscape of a book were I not certain that would give a (completely mistaken) positive impression. Where every sunset is the rippling wind, where each sky is the clear blue of dreams yet to come, where every action leads to the most impossibly loved moment - why should i care at all?
Like Capin’s previous novel, sisterhood and dagger-sharp friendship is at the heart of I AM MARGARET MOORE, but it’s really an entirely different beast. It’s more brooding in terms of pace, making for an eerie reading experience. A memorable, haunting mystery that will please fans both old and new—this one is not to be missed.
This was not for me. For several reasons. First off, I’m not a fan of Hannah Caplin’s writing style. Her styles is a very acquired taste, and I get the sense that most readers won’t prefer it. I don’t really know how else to describe it but it somehow sounds simultaneously third person and first person at the same time. Either you love it or hate it and I don’t see many readers preferring her style. It’s very lyrical and authentic like poetry, but at the same time, harder to grasp. I feel like I read a poetry book disguised as a YA thriller. If I wanted to read convoluted, weird, hard to understand writing then I’d just read actual poetry, ya know?

The thing is, I liked her previous book, foul is fair, well enough. It was batshit and convoluted to the point where it was confusing, yes, but I followed it easy enough and I loved the way it ended. Even with foul is fair, there’s SO MANY THINGS I need explanations for with that book. Going into this one, I was afraid it was going to be the same way. AND THIS ONE WAS EVEN WORSE. Literally I did not understand the end at all. What the hell even happened? I couldn’t tell you!

What I also think is strange about Hannah Caplin’s books is that she blows off death like it’s no big deal. With things like murder and death, the character in her books act like it’s an ankle twist or something lol. I love thrillers but the excitement of it all was dulled by the writing prose. Sorry but it’s just NOT FOR ME. I don’t wanna read any poetic style shit. I just want you to get to the point. Foul is fair was interesting enough for me to still give it an above average rating. This was not. This was written so weird I could barely tell you what the book is even about. Not a fan, sorry.

Thanks to Netgalley for sending me an advanced copy in return for a review.
I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own. The very end of the book leaves you thinking about the rest of the book in a new light. I admit that I finished this book and it was very hard to read. I was very confused throughout the entire book, and the confusion only gets worse as you read. The ending did a good job trying to pull it together but it doesn't really make up for the 30% of the book where I was so confused I had no idea what time line I was in (there are about three or four that it jumps between with no notice). I admit that I do not read poetry so the lyrical style of the book did not help. If you enjoy poetry this book might be for you but if you don't than this book might not be for you.
A predictable plot twist coupled with "lyrical" flowery, drawn out, and confusing writing left me feeling incredibly underwhelmed with this story. The concept was great, but there just wasn't a lot of great things going for this book. If you like a lot more flowery writing in your stories, you might enjoy this more than I did.