Cover Image: The Dangers of an Ordinary Night

The Dangers of an Ordinary Night

The Dangers Of An Ordinary Night is a suspenseful read with a good twist.

The story is about two girls that go missing one night, when they're found, one of them is dead and the other has no memory of what happened. We meet the characters and unfold the events of the night gradually in the story.

There were a lot of aspects I liked about the book, it spoke about how parents and their marriage affect the kids, that everyone has a past they're dealing with and how it is important to seek emotional help when required.

The first half of the book was good, it started really well and then it got a bit slow in the middle, the last part was good though, I liked the end.

I'd recommend The Dangers Of An Ordinary Night to readers looking for a quick thriller read.

Thank you Netgalley, publisher Crooked Lane books and author Lynne Reeves for the ARC.
When High School students, Tali and Zoe, don’t make it home after a late night play audition, the whole town steps in to find them.  Four days later they are discovered on a deserted beach, but one of them is no longer alive and the other doesn’t remember a thing.  What happened that fateful night?  Who would want to hurt these talented young girls on the brink of success?  As the investigation heats up, there are more questions than answers until things finally become crystal clear.
This was a domestic suspense novel about two teenage girls that go missing one night after a play audition. Tali and June left together, but only Tali survives. What we find out right away is that there are lots of secrets, and it’s only a matter of time before the truth comes out. The detective assigned to the case is Fitz. He is a lovable character who has a past that he’d rather not talk about. The family therapist Cynthia (Cyn) that Tali sees has her own personal issues going on. And then there are Tali’s parents. Nell her mother is willing to do anything to protect her daughter and her father who has an addiction to gambling was home and didn’t realize that Tali never came home that night.

I liked the story telling a lot, the characters were well written but I didn’t feel particularly connected to any of them. I did like trying to figure out the truth and in the end the truth was a lot more complicated than I had imagined it being, so the ending had an unexpected twist. I felt like some stories didn’t get completely told, and there were some loose ends that fell flat.

Thanks Netgalley and Crooked Lane Books for the eARC in exchange for the honest review.
This was very much like many books I've read lately.  While it was good, I feel like I will forget it in a day or two.
The Dangers of an Ordinary Night by Lynne Reeves is a slow-burn domestic mystery about a kidnapping and murder of two teenage girls from a performing arts high school in Boston. Two are kidnapped and found on a deserted beach two days later, only one survives. The book follows the girls, the parents, the detective investigating the case, and the psychiatrist. I really liked the writing style and the setting, but the characters didn’t capture me. The plot is a bit slow moving for much of the novel. We slowly learn about family secrets and relationships that may have caused the kidnapping. I really enjoyed the ending when the story picked up speed and revealed what happened.

Thank you Crooked Lane Books for providing this ARC.
This is kind of a side note, but when I watched a lot of tv I noticed the trend of making the dad a less intelligent and likely to do stupid things character. It seems that this is the trend in many suspense books now. And let me tell you, I did not like Zeke and knowing that Nell had been putting up with his gambling and lies for over a decade really annoyed me. I get the whole "he made a mistake" thing, but finding out how long and how often he had made them, well that just begs for psychological help. Too bad it took a kidnapping and death to get there!

Now that I have that out of my system, this was a really good suspenseful book. I'll admit I had fancies of the killer being a different person, but I knew the odds were super low. I almost thought we might get to the end of the book and not even find out who had actually done it! But, Ms. Reeves did a wonderful job of having this solid mystery surrounded by a whole lot of family drama, school drama, and other questionable events. The author even managed to sneak in some romance! This book definitely kept my attention!
A gripping tale of two best friends disappearing after auditioning for a school play one night. One of them is found alive, the other not.

The writing was really, really, good. Layered and full of clues. The plot, slow at times, kept me engaged and gripped all throughout the book.

I enjoyed this thriller immensily and couldn't put it down.

Thank you to Netgalley and Crooked Lane Books for the ARC.

🌟🌟🌟 3/5 stars

The Dangers of an Ordinary Night is a character-driven suspense read for fans of Celeste Ng. It tells the story of two teens who disappear after auditioning for a play and the way this event impacts their families and those involved in the case. When only one teen is found alive two days later, her mother enlists the help of a therapist. Meanwhile, a detective is trying to get to the bottom of what happened to the other teen.

This was a slow burn story that was, at times, too slow for me. It started great and then slowed down in the middle. The ending was very good, but did not make up for the middle section. I can understand the comparisons to Celeste Ng and Megan Abbott in the synopsis, but, overall, this read just wasn’t for me.

ARC was provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
The storyline held promise but, sadly, I couldn’t really connect to the characters! I felt disappointed that the plot became heavy and bogged down, the mystery surrounding the girls was a bit drawn out for me!

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thanks to Crooked Lane and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.
I got this book early as an advanced readers copy and WOW. I literally could not put this book down, I was entranced by the characters and the storyline! It wasn't like anything I've read before.The ending was literally a shocker. I highly, highly, recommend.
I am a huge fan of thrillers and expected to enjoy this, however, I didn't really 'click' with the characters as I thought I would, and found it a bit too slow paced.
The summary when I read sounded interesting to me that I was glad that Netgalley and Crooked Lane gave me an opportunity to read this novel. But unfortunately, this is not my cup of tea.

Plot:- Two girls Tali and June goes missing after auditioning for a play. They are both best friends. Few days later, the two girls were found--Tali is disorientated and seemed to be traumatized while June is pronounced dead. Nell, Tali's mother is bent down in protecting the well being of her daughter while her husband Zeke is suspected for the case and meanwhile, the school where Tali and June are attending is holding a secret.

Writing:- The plot as I said earlier was interesting, prompting me to want to read this book. The first few chapters were good but then soon, it got boring that I almost DNF the book. I am usually one of those people who don't DNF books as I would continue to read to finish the book. The pace was slow which was a negative thing about the book and I felt there was a bit too much talking and not much OMG moments. However, the ending was OK in my opinion--bit predictable but nonetheless it was OK.

Characters:- I am not sure what I can say about the characters but Nell might be probably one of the favorites.

Overall:- It's a slow burn I have to say and for those who like slow paced thriller books, then this might be the one for you. But I prefer fast paced thrillers so I will pass out.

Thank you Netgalley and Crooked Lane Publishers for the ARC. The review is based on my honest opinion only.
The Dangers of an Ordinary Night by Lynne Reeves is a very highly recommended character driven domestic thriller.

Best friends Natalie (Tali) Carrington and June Danforth, both seventeen, are kidnapped after auditioning for a play at the Performing Arts High School of Boston. Two days later they are found south of Boston on Watties Beach. Tali is covered with cuts, bruises, and disoriented while June is dead from exposure. Tali's mother Nell blames her father, Zeke, who didn't notice that Tali never came home, but Zeke who has repeatedly let his family down with his gambling addiction has other issues that Nell should have noticed in this dysfunctional family. Therapist Cynthia (Cyn) Rawlins is there to help Tali and her family deal with the kidnapping and aftermath. Detective Fitz Jameson has personal insight into the case and suspects more is going on in the Carrington home and at the school.

The novel opens with June trying to escape someone and what leads to her death, so you know the person responsible seems to know June. When the two young women are found, the real mystery begins to be uncovered. There is a complexity and emotional depth underlying every character and all these people are experiencing and/or trying to recover from some trauma. The characters are all flawed. They may not all be especially likeable, but they all resemble real people and therefore are relatable in many ways. Cyn and Fitz are especially sympathetic characters. Nell also elicits an empathetic response, even if the choices she makes will not be understandable to all readers.

The writing is excellent, confident and layered. The plot is even paced while the clues and additional information work together to create a complex picture of a mystery and the complex individuals who are a part of the incident and the resolution. Each of the 27 chapters are given the titles from 27 plays, tying the plot into the theater, the Performing Arts High School, and the students. I found this to be a compelling domestic thriller which I enjoyed immensely from start to finish. 4.5 rounded up.

Disclosure: My review copy was courtesy of Crooked Lane Books via NetGalley.
The review will be published on Barnes & Noble, Edelweiss, Google Books, and Amazon.

Wow!  The ending was not one that I anticipated.

Two friends from a fine arts school go missing after a play.  An investigation ensues after they are found--only one is alive.

The parents have a convoluted history.  Lots of suspects.
What happened to Tali and June that night?  June is dead and  Tali can't remember, totally, so her mom hires family therapist Cynthia to help her while Fitz, the detective looks for answers.  There are lots of secrets and lies.  While this starts as a tale of teens, it's really more about the adults, the fathers, in particular,  I liked the interaction between Fitz and Cyn- they make a good team.  You, like me, might be surprised by the ending.  Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.  A good read.
The overall storyline is right up my alley, but I was not a fan of this book. It started slow, and the writing was a little too "theater" for me (if that makes sense). The structure of the book, as well as some of the storylines, aren't needed. I also think it was prolonged and a little dull. It took some effort to keep reading, but I just wanted to know what actually happened. Thank you, NetGalley.
This was an excellent mystery novel telling the story of a prestigious school and its students and their parents, in light of the disappearance and murder of one of the students. The overachieving ambition is literally a malady affecting a great part of parents these days, and this book was an excellent example of that.
Excellent story! Totally engrossing!.  Looking forward to reading more by this author! Could not put this down!
I’m afraid that this book was not for me. There is a double kidnapping and a possible murder, but the procedural aspect of the case is not important at all and could have been told in two chapters. The novel is more about the lives and thoughts of a cast of characters that I didn’t like or relate to. Readers who enjoy a lot of dialogue and background about the characters may enjoy it, but it was not the kind of novel I like.
I chose to read this book and all opinions in this review are my own and completely unbiased. Thank you, NetGalley/ Crooked Lane Books!
The Dangers of an Ordinary Night is a domestic drama set in the Boston area. The main characters are a young Irish policeman, a psychiatrist, and a family suffering from a recent trauma.

The summary of this book set it up as much more dramatic than it actually is. It set it up as a more HBO-esque drama - two girls go missing - two days later, they are found - one is alive and one is dead. What actually happens is much more about stage parents and multiple suspects and PTSD and bad parenting.

It's honestly....kind of boring. The last few chapters are rather rushed and left me unsatisfied. I wanted something else. I wanted a better twist or a better ending for everyone. I wanted something grittier.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for the opportunity to read and review this book.