Member Review

Pub Date:

Review by

Misty M, Reviewer

My Recommendation

“A Cut for a Cut” was an all immersing read from start to finish - a serial rapist and murderer on the hunt, with his first love always on his mind.

DI Kate Young and the team are alerted to the new case while Kate was supposed to be enjoying a few days off to reconnect with her sister and mourn the loss of her husband from book one. But, as the saying goes, there's no rest for the wicked.

The storyline moves along at a steady pace, progressing increasingly with each chapter. While mostly told from Kate’s point of view - regarding the serial case, her private inquiries into her husband's death, her superior’s dirty dealings, and her conversations with said late husband - Wyer also provides readers with intermittent pieces of the killer’s narrative, a style that I tend to find particularly compelling.

Kate's character progression is also worth mentioning. While, yes, she continues to converse with her dead husband, she appears to be notably more aware of this fact. She knows these conversations are happening inside her head, manifestations of her memories and familiarity with his mannerisms - yet it brings her comfort. She misses him; can she honestly be faulted for wanting to keep him ‘alive’ in some fashion?

Wyer’s police procedurals are consistently penned with such finesse that it's not always the who but also the how and the why that is equally enthralling. I guessed a few twists early on, but I don't feel it detracted from the overall storyline. The final 10% made all the difference as it anxiously sets readers up for book three.

I would recommend this to all crime thriller fans, whether you are a long-time Carol Wyer fan or reading this author's work for the first time. I do suggest reading book one first, mainly for the running corruption theme.

A very special thank you to Carol Wyer, the publishers at Thomas & Mercer / Amazon Publishing UK, and NetGalley for this riveting advanced copy of "A Cut for a Cut"! I have voluntarily and honestly reviewed this title.