Cover Image: Em

Em

Em is a powerful story about the Vietnam or American War as the book calls it. Kim Thuy has a way discussing a big and difficult topic in under 200 pages. The characters were connected to the theme so they added to the impact instead of distracting. There were several but I followed it smoothly. It also had an amazing authors note about the data of the war. This is well worth the read!

I received an arc in exchange for a honest review.
I find Kim Thuy's writing can be a bit of challenge to break into, but once you do, you're transported. This one stumbled a bit at the end, where I found it wrapped up both abpruptly and a little too neatly. But still a great read.
This is a beautifully-written, (and beautifully translated) short novel set in Vietnam during the Vietnam War.  The book is divided into a number of brief vignettes of a particular time in each character's life, so it can seem a bit disjointed, but that didn't affect my enjoyment of it. I also learned a bit more about the Vietnam War and how deeply it affected the people of that country. Definitely recommend. ❤️
Something completely different. A quick, deep read that left me changed. I loved how the vignettes all connected and intertwined in the end, and as brutal as it was to read this at times it was also breathtaking and beautiful.
This was a heart wrenching story.  I was not familiar with much of the content of this story, and at times it was rather difficult to read for me personally.
"Em" means she who love. "Em" means sister. Stories of babies that were born of womens that have been raped by soldiers during the Vietnam war. Every chapters is the storie of differents people but all are related.  Those stories really got me. Wasn't really an easy read.  It was the first book by author Kim Thuy that I was reading.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for this arc.
A beautiful, soul-stirring, heart-wrenching novel. Kin Thuy uses few words but impacts your heart in a huge way. I definitely recommend it!
Em is a gorgeous, spare, poetic series of interconnected stories, translated well by Sheila Fischman. It is a great accomplishment of Quebecois literature, establishing Thúy as a poetic force to be reckoned with.

The content was quite interesting but I can’t say that this book was for me.
Em by Kim Thúy (English translation) is beautifully written. At first, I wasn't certain how I felt about the disjointed nature of the book but as I read more, I began to appreciate the artistic nature of the writing. Some stories connected and intertwined, while others were left with loose ends. Much like the storyline of our everyday lives. As someone with little knowledge of the conflicts in Vietnam, this book gave me glimpses into a dark past and left me curious and wanting to learn more.

Thank you Random House Canada for a copy of this book.
Em by Kim Thuy follows the perspective of various characters during the Vietnam war. It is short but quite impactful with elements that were heartbreaking. I found it a bit disjointed and hard to read since it felt a bit choppy with its wording. Not sure if it’s because of the translation that made it hard for me to really appreciate it.
Kim Thuy’s novel EM follows an array of characters linked together by fine threads.
Set during the war in Viet Nam we learn of the hardships and the atrocities that took place during the war and the repercussions suffered after the war ended.
Kim Thuy’s prose is lyrical and sparse. The translation from the French is superb.
EM is a powerful story. I plan to read it again.
Thank you to Penguin Random House Canada and NetGalley for allowing me access to an advanced digital edition of this book.
If you haven’t read any of Kim Thúy’s books, then you should know that not only is she known for her short but meaningful prose, but all that her books tend to be composed of often disjointed vignettes. This actually works well for the story and characters’ journeys in Em as I enjoyed seeing the various characters and learning some of their fates and history all in one section. My favourite was seeing how the characters, Louis and Emma Jade were brought together not only once but twice by fate.

Full review can be found at the link provided.
Kim Thúy managed to write the sensitive and heartbreaking topics of this book in such a wonderful way. It was a slow read for me, but I think that actually enhanced the reading experience, as I was able to sit with the characters and their stories for a month, reading a few vignettes every couple days. The writing was beautiful and I really felt for all of the characters.
This book is moving and poignant. A beautiful opportunity to learn history through these relatable characters. Highly recommend
This book is in my top five for this year.  I love everything Kim Thuy writes, but this book is exceptional. Her writing is like poetry and yet she tells of the most horrible things people have done to each other.  It is the most moving account of the aftermath of the Vietnam War that I have ever read.
I have not finished this one, but it is spectacularly beautiful.  Somehow Kim Thuy's way with words shines through translation (when many are not able to overcome this).  A real treat for lovers of language.  Savour this one.
I had the privilege of seeing Kim Thuy at the Vancouver Writers Festival shortly after she published her first novel Ru. She was part of a panel of first-time authors talking about the excitement and nervousness around being a first-time author. She was charming and humble and I purchased her book that night. It was a lovely and difficult story about how her family was welcomed as Vietnamese refugees into Canada. The book became a sensation and I felt lucky to have seen her speak..
Em continues in the same tradition talking about the ravages of the Vietnam War. I found this book sharper in focus, more experimental in style and at times more difficult to read because of its focus on children and the impacts of the war.
This slim novel reads to me like a fever dream or long-form poem. The writing is beautiful and the subject matter tough. I recommend this book for the writing and also the historical aspect. Events like Operation Babylift to the massacre at My Lai are put into context.
I always enjoy books that emphasize connections between characters and this book delivered on that.  Each chapter is essentially a snapshot in time during the Vietnam War and it wasn’t until the very end I realized how truly connected each of the characters were.
Historical fiction is one of my favourite literary genres, and I’ve read many books set during WWI or WWII, but Em by Kim Thúy is the first one I’ve read about the Vietnam (American) War. ⁣
⁣
Em is not your typical book where it follows a main character from point A to point B. It begins with rubber plantations and French colonialism, continues with the war, Operation Babylift, the Mỹ Lai massacre, and the nail salon industry. Throughout all of this, you’re introduced to a cast of interconnected people whom you may or may not necessarily read about again. I appreciated how she didn’t describe horrific or painful events for shock value but as contrast or context to highlight the acts of love, and the resilience of people. ⁣
⁣
As a Canadian-born child to Vietnamese parents, I’ve always been curious about Vietnam’s history, and this little gem took me by surprise. It amazes me how the author conveyed so much in such short chapters, and in the fewest words. I read an interview she did with CBC where she described her writing, ⁣
⁣
"𝘐 𝘴𝘪𝘮𝘮𝘦𝘳 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘥𝘰𝘸𝘯, 𝘢𝘭𝘮𝘰𝘴𝘵 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘢 𝘴𝘰𝘶𝘱. 𝘈𝘭𝘭 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘧𝘭𝘢𝘷𝘰𝘶𝘳𝘴 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘤𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘥. 𝘠𝘰𝘶 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘦𝘢𝘵 𝘢 𝘭𝘰𝘵, 𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘧𝘭𝘢𝘷𝘰𝘶𝘳𝘴 𝘸𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥 𝘰𝘱𝘦𝘯 𝘶𝘱 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘮𝘰𝘶𝘵𝘩 𝘢𝘯𝘺𝘸𝘢𝘺, 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘢 𝘴𝘱𝘰𝘰𝘯 𝘰𝘧 𝘴𝘢𝘶𝘤𝘦. 𝘐 𝘵𝘳𝘺 𝘵𝘰 𝘨𝘪𝘷𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘥𝘦𝘳 𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘶𝘯𝘯𝘦𝘤𝘦𝘴𝘴𝘢𝘳𝘺."⁣
5 Stars⁣
⁣
My sincere thanks to Netgalley, Penguin Random House Canada, and the author, Kim Thúy, for the digital ARC. ⁣
I loved this book so much I went out and got a copy for my shelf.